The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
Question The southerner

Does anyone know anything about the southerner that was in Bree? It says he looked more than half a goblin with squintie eyes, but Aragorn could detect a goblin, so was he like a servent of the wraiths or what?

Last edited by Faramir; 02-28-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I seem to recall some information about him in "The Hunt for the Ring" chapter of Unfinished Tales , though there are a couple or a few variants of that story that Christopher Tolkien included in the published version. My copy is at home, however, and I am not. I believe that he was originally sent to Bree by Saruman. I don't remember much more at the moment, though. If no one else has an answer for you by the time I get home, I'll look it up and post some more details.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Merry and Aragorn speak more of these people in the Flotsam and Jetsam chapter in The Two Towers. Aragorn calls them "half-orcs" and mentions that there were many of them at Helms' Deep.
Later, in the Scouring of the Shire chapter, the hobbits see more of them in The Green Dragon.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry it took so long, but I found some reference to him in Unfinished Tales . As the Nazgul were hunting for the Ring they had just departed from speaking with Grima Wormtongue and headed north from Isengard.

Quote:
But some fugitives on the road they captured; and to the delight of the Captain two proved to be spies and servants of Saruman. One of them had been used much in the traffic between Isengard and the Shire, and though he had not himself been beyond the Southfarthing he had charts prepared by Saruman which clearly depicted and described the Shire. These the Nazgul took, and then sent him on to Bree to continue spying; but warned him that he was now in the service of Mordor, and that if ever he tried to return to Isengard they would slay him with torture.
Another version of the story is unfinished (thus Unfinished Tales !) and is therefore summarized by Christopher Tolkien in the notes:
Quote:
Some while ago one of Saruman's most trusted servants (yet a ruffianly fellow, an outlaw driven from Dunland, where many said that he had Orc-blood) had returned from the borders of the Shire, where he had been negotiating for the purchase of 'leaf' and other supplies. Saruman was beginning to store Isengard against war. This man was now on his way back to continue the business, and to arrange for the transport of many goods before autumn failed. He had orders also to get into the Shire if possible and learn if there had been any departures of persons well-known recently. He was well supplied with maps, lists of names, and notes concerning the Shire.

This Dunlending was overtaken by several of the Black Riders as they approached the Tharbad crossing. In an extremity of terror he was haled to the Witch-king and questioned. He saved his life by betraying Saruman. The Witch-king thus learned that Saruman knew well all along where the Shire was, and knew much about it, which he could and should have told to Sauron's servants if he had been a true ally. The Witch-king also obtained much information, including some about the only name that interested him: Baggins. It was for this reason that Hobbiton was singled out as one of the points for immediate visit and enquiry.

The Witch-king had now a clearer understanding of the matter. He had known something of the country long ago, in his wars with the Dunedain, and especially of the Tyrn Gorthad of Cardolan, now the Barrow-downs, whose evil wights had been sent there by himself. Seeing that his Master suspected some move between the Shire and Rivendell, he saw also that Bree (the position of which he knew) would be an important point, at least for information. He put therefore the Shadow of Fear on the Dunlending, and sent him on to Bree as an agent. He was the squint-eyed southerner at the Inn.
That's all I find. Hope it helps.

Last edited by radagastly; 03-01-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: edited for spelling. -rad!
radagastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
Thanks Radagastly you helped me alot!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote