The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
paavo
Shade of Carn Dūm

paavo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to paavo
Lotr trivial pursuit

does someone happen to know if there are any Lord of the rings trivial pursuits out there for sale. I have only found movie-based trivial pursuits but I'd like to have one that is based on the books. any chance I'll found one?
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Now there's an idea

I sincerely doubt it. I expect that to use the books as a basis, one would need the approval of the Tolkien estate, and it's both simpler and more profitable to buy the rights from New Line Cinema to produce it as film merchandising. That's a pity, because Tolkien probably would have been quite happy to see trivia about his books used in a game, provided that it was accurate.

You could always make your own question cards from the books, but then you'd have to give yourself enough time to forget the answers for it to be any fun.

Incidentally, years before the films came out, I saw a 'pocket' travel version of Trivial Pursuit. As per the tradition, there was a quotation on the side of the box:
Quote:
"What has it got in its pocketses?" Gollum
Old 06-29-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I did once see in the shops a Tolkien trivia book that looked, from a cursory glance, to be based on the books rather than the films. Also, there are a number of board games on the market based on the books (both The Hobbit and LotR). Presumably, in these instances, the rights were available at a cost sufficient to make it worthwhile producing and marketing the items in question. If so, then I don't see why a quiz game based on the books alone would be out of the question.

Any budding entrepreneurs out there?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've seen a book like that but not the actual game. It's just full of questions about lotr. There's also one about Harry Potter. It's hard to find but you should find it in most bookstores. It is called: So you think you know the trilogy?
I didn't look at it, as I happened to be in a rush at the time, but I assume it is about the books. I think it was in Ottakars or Waterstones.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have an old battered paperback Tolkien Quiz Book which is fantastic, but I think it will be well out of print by now. However, I did find this new quiz book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000716971X/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/202-1381944-9303023

I am tempted myself, it could be good for long train journeys.

The one Isowen mentions is often on sale at WHSmith, and it's also pretty good.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots Here's a good LotR trivia game

By way of answer to the original question, I was, the other week, faced in my regular games shop with both the film-based trivia game (produced by the original Trivial Pursuit people) and a LotR trivia game based entirely on the book (produced by Fantasy Flight Games). No prizes for guessing which one I went for ...

... so I am now the proud owner of a book-based LotR trivia game. And I am pleased to report that it is actually a very good and well-thought out game. Its major plus point is the artwork, which is by Ted Nasmith. The game board comprises the main locations that Frodo passes through on his journey to Mount Doom superimposed upon a gorgeous aerial view of the route followed (cleverly angled so that Bag End at the beginning is level with Mount Doom at the end).

The aim is to move through each location using three types of tokens to move (travelling, weapon and ring). At each location, you either have to answer a question based on the events in the book or pick up a tile (which involves either gaining gifts to help you on your journey or challenges which you must overcome). A correct answer to your question gains you tokens and allows you either to move to the next location or to stop and rest to gain yet more movement tokens. But, if you answer incorrectly, you have to go back to your starting location or to the last "haven" (the "havens" are Rivendell, Lothlorien and Ithilien).

Each question gives a number of multiple choice answers. Depending on how it is asked, each question can be either easy, medium or hard. For easy questions, the player asking gives three of the mulitple choice answers (ignoring a fourth bracketed answer). For medium ones, all four multiple choice answers are given. And for difficult questions, the player asking gets to choose the question that they think is the most difficult from a choice of three on each card. The questions start out easy but become medium as the player nears Mount Doom. Difficult questions only arise as part of challenges.

The questions are actually quite difficult, unless you know the book inside out. However, since they are multiple choice, anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of the book (ie most of us here) is unlikely to be overly troubled by them. Happily, however, progress in the game is not solely dependent on answering questions correctly but also requires some strategy in deciding when to go on and when to stop and accumulate movement tokens (which are also required for some of the challenges). So, the game does present a challenge even to those of us who are very familiar with the book.

The winner is the first player to reach Mount Doom and complete the relevant challenge (which involves having plenty of ring tokens and answering one or more difficult questions).

So, if you are interested in acquring a LotR trivia game, I would heartily recommend this one. There are details of it here at Fantasy Flight Games' website.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 10-25-2004 at 06:45 PM. Reason: To add a better link
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

That is so cool, Saucepan Man!
We wants one.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
paavo
Shade of Carn Dūm

paavo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to paavo
thanks a lot everybody. this is much appreciated. *goes of to buy the game!*
Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #9
Ireth Sirfalas

my sister bought it, for the books, so i know its out there somewhere!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Ah, we wants it, precious... Thanks for that link, Saucepan! That sounds like a very cool game. *sits and hates being poor* Wish I could get it!

I'm working on an unofficial Tolkien Bookverse trivia game, based on the Trivial Pursuit setup. I am, however, having trouble thinking up questions. The catagories are Good Characters, Bad Characters, Places, Objects, The Professor, and Fanfiction (or Other), if anyone wants to lend me a hand. If you think of any questions, please e-mail or PM me!

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 10-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't have the trivia game, but I do have the regular Fantasy Flight LotR game, which my brother and I recieved as a joint graduation present with my brother from a friend. It's quite fun!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #12
lotrknight

Question

i have the tolkien trivia book