The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting Two Questions

Ok I have two questions.

1) About the Grey Havens, is it a land, or more of a heaven-type place? I know it is the undying lands...but...

2) What lands surround Middle-earth? Numenor is one, correct? Is there a map anywhere of these places?

And by the way this is a great site and I'm looking forward to becoming a wight [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1) The Grey Havens are not part of the Undying Land. They are a coastal land presided over by Cirdan the Shipwright, whose primary concern in the Third Age of the World was to provide safe passage for the Elves to Valinor by allowing them to travel in his ships over the Great Sea to the Undying Land. He left Middle-earth himself in the Fourth Age, along with all other Elves that made their abode in the Grey Havens and in all of Middle-earth.

2) Actually, after the Second Age, Numenor did not exist. It was sunk to oblivion after Ar-Pharazon, persuaded by Sauron, assailed the Valar in the Undying Lands. Everyone in the assault was killed, as well as all of the inhabitants of Numenor except the Elendili, who, led by Elendil and his sons Isildur and Anarion, fled to Middle-earth and started the Kingdom of Gondor.

But I digress.

Besides Middle-earth, the Undying Lands (which were technically after the downfall of Numenor no longer part of the physical world) and the Walls of the Sun, there were the Hither Lands and the Dark Lands, of which Professor Tolkien did not write much.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

1. Common misconception. The grey havens (look up haven in a dictionary, and you'll find this yourself) are mithlond, where the ships set off to reach Valinor, the Undying Lands, etc.

2. Middle Earth is actually a quite large continent. Tolkien did some rough maps of the world surrounding ME, but they don't say much. In the first age, and the early half of the second, there was another large continent on the western side of the great sea. After the sinking of numenor (an, in fact, rather small island) this continent (Valinor) was removed from the surface of the earth, and the earth was bent and made round, so that men could not invade Valinor as Ar-Pharazon had attempted.

Iarwain

P.S. Ah, M'lord, you beat me to the post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:20 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Sting

Thank you for clearing that up!
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

The Grey Havens are a heaven like land to the elves simply because it is not corrupted by war
Old 01-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, the Grey Havens are not unassailable, and were, I believe, attacked several times by the forces of Sauron. They were not really a heaven (though they were a haven [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) for Elves, but rather a place from which to begin the journey to the Undying Lands, the Elven equivalent (in a very loose sense of the word) to Heaven.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

the book of unfinished tales has a map of valinor
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Speaking of maps, you could also look in Sil, HoME, and (oh no, not written by Tolkien) The Tolkien Bestiary for maps relating to Middle Earth. They are all very good ones, I might add.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
"The Atlas of Middle-earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad is also good for these kinds of questions.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree Atlas

I agree with Eliana, the Atlas is a great book to pick up and is a good reference book to anyone who wants to read "The Silmarillion."
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
Marcus

Hello I am new at this forum so I think It is appropiate that I give you a short presentation about me.

Well....My name is Marcus and I come from Sweden ( A country which lies in the northern regions of Europe.) I am 17 years old and currently studying social science and languages. I have been highly intersted in the books of Tolkien since I was 15 years old.

And now to my question: I am looking for a picture, I saw it once on a site but sadly I have forgotten the adress.
The picture is a black / white chart of the various races of middlearth. You can also see the average height of for example elves, dwarfs, hobbits......so on.

I am just wondering if someone might have this picture and if you would be kind to post it to me?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hey Marcus! Welcome to the Barrowdowns. Hope you enjoy being dead.

To introduce yourself, you should really go to the 'Introduce yourself here' thread.

I think I've seen the chart you're talking about in one of the "Visual Guides." I'll check the next time I go to a book store. In the meantime, you'll probably get a quicker answer if you open a new thread.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote