The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2020, 05:11 AM   #10441
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Brilliant, Pervinca!

... which points to the obvious mystery: 4. TOM BOMBADIL: tom(-tom) + bomb + "a" + dil(l)

2.... YEARS OF THE TREES?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-16-2020 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Formatting
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #10442
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was thinking MITHRANDIR when I made the wild password guess, but I have no idea where the elements would come from. Is there another word for nectar?

G55, I'm much more impressed with your work than mine!
Old 11-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #10443
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Brilliant, Pervinca!

... which points to the obvious mystery: 4. TOM BOMBADIL: tom(-tom) + bomb + "a" + dil(l)

2.... YEARS OF THE TREES?
Both correct. The mystery in the latter case is: are they ten years (of the sun) or not? Tolkien's timelines are a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
I was thinking MITHRANDIR when I made the wild password guess, but I have no idea where the elements would come from. Is there another word for nectar?

G55, I'm much more impressed with your work than mine!
#1 is not Mithrandir, and you don't need a synonym for nectar.

1. M - Wizard, more nectar? Shift that silence to me and stop to aspirate!
YEARS OF THE TREES - Much longer than twig days - but how long? (Yes, how long?)
SMEAGOL - Sounds like the bosun rides on the back of a log, rides on the back of a log (His origins - solved by Gandalf)
TOM BOMBADIL - Half a drum explodes a (cut) herb, but it's still better than the poetry. (Just... everything.)
5. E - On the tip of... not my tongue, I'm a little sick. Like Ulysses, but brighter.
6. R - Serious party-going lady swaps to the second half of Elvish exclamation, and sends her daughter out gathering.
IMLADRIS - Look back at the hidden valley: yes, Spaniard, it's a spotted dog with no prepositions. (Secret location)
ERIOL - Shipwrecked, he calls, "Er, I..." "Lo!" the elves call back. (Tolkien undecided on his story)
9. S - Her(?) bed was made by a really, really irritated oyster.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #10444
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morinehtar.

MORE NECTAR

Remove the silent E, add I for 'me,' H is an aspirate - is C is a 'stop' that changes, here, to an aspirate?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #10445
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Morinehtar.

MORE NECTAR

Remove the silent E, add I for 'me,' H is an aspirate - is C is a 'stop' that changes, here, to an aspirate?
Exactly! I think C is a stop, right? I went with 'stop' rather than 'plosive' to try and hide the phonetic clues a bit.

MORINEHTAR - Wizard, more nectar? Shift that silence to me and stop to aspirate! (Mysterious Blue Wizard)
YEARS OF THE TREES - Much longer than twig days - but how long? (Yes, how long?)
SMEAGOL - Sounds like the bosun rides on the back of a log, rides on the back of a log (His origins - solved by Gandalf)
TOM BOMBADIL - Half a drum explodes a (cut) herb, but it's still better than the poetry. (Just... everything.)
5. E - On the tip of... not my tongue, I'm a little sick. Like Ulysses, but brighter.
6. R - Serious party-going lady swaps to the second half of Elvish exclamation, and sends her daughter out gathering.
IMLADRIS - Look back at the hidden valley: yes, Spaniard, it's a spotted dog with no prepositions. (Secret location)
ERIOL - Shipwrecked, he calls, "Er, I..." "Lo!" the elves call back. (Tolkien undecided on his story)

hS
Old 11-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #10446
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
5. At the END of an EAR, with IL(L), makes EARENDIL, who I suppose is a mariner like Odysseus, but is also a star. Why is he mysterious? Maybe to Third Age hobbits a flying Silmaril ship star counts as a mystery.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #10447
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
5. At the END of an EAR, with IL(L), makes EARENDIL, who I suppose is a mariner like Odysseus, but is also a star. Why is he mysterious? Maybe to Third Age hobbits a flying Silmaril ship star counts as a mystery.
Exactly all of that, except that the mystery is his voyages, which Tolkien never got round to writing. Did he kill Ungoliant? Did he even meet her? Did he somehow go to the southern hemisphere of a flat planet? So many questions!

MORINEHTAR - Wizard, more nectar? Shift that silence to me and stop to aspirate! (Mysterious Blue Wizard)
EARENDIL - On the tip of... not my tongue, I'm a little sick. Like Ulysses, but brighter. (His unknown voyages)

Two to go. #6 is named in LotR but the clue references a different book, while #9 is pretty much a BoLT character.

hS
Old 11-20-2020, 02:50 AM   #10448
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

R isn't (WIDOW) RUMBLE, is it? The mystery lady of the Gaffer's twilight years ....

'Party-going' might mean went to Bilbo's 111th/Frodo's 33rd birthday party, but I'm not sure RUBY BOLGER is the one, because it says that Dora Baggins was the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo, and Ruby Bolger was her mother.

Oh! It's RIVER-WOMAN, isn't it?

(With RAVER for serious party-goer turning to the 'AI' sound, which is an elvish exclamation used by Legolas when he fears the heat from the Balrog will make his mascara run?)

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 11-20-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #10449
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Oh! It's RIVER-WOMAN, isn't it?

(With RAVER for serious party-goer turning to the 'AI' sound, which is an elvish exclamation used by Legolas when he fears the heat from the Balrog will make his mascara run?)
Specifically, she swaps the A for the I. Correct!

EARENDIL - On the tip of... not my tongue, I'm a little sick. Like Ulysses, but brighter. (His unknown voyages)
RIVER-WOMAN - Serious party-going lady swaps to the second half of Elvish exclamation, and sends her daughter out gathering. (Who and what is she?)

Okay, #9... in all probability, this one doesn't involve a giant pearl - just a lot of them.

hS
Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #10450
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is the final clue Solosimpi/Solosimpe?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #10451
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Is the final clue Solosimpi/Solosimpe?
It is not. Try connecting pearls to (what you do in) beds.

hS
Old 11-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #10452
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Okay, it's been a few days, so:

The mystery in #9 is 'who is this person?', with one possibility Tolkien considered being a woman of Gondolin.

hS
Old 11-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #10453
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Okay, it's been a few days, so:

The mystery in #9 is 'who is this person?', with one possibility Tolkien considered being a woman of Gondolin.

hS
Given my extensive knowledge of BOLT, I would suggest Shepearl, Shelob's prettier sister. It's all in the Hofstetter.

Seriously, I have no clue. Someone who presumably fell asleep or lay down on some pearls - but if she's not mentioned in the main texts, I am unlikely to be familiar with the name.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #10454
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Given my extensive knowledge of BOLT, I would suggest Shepearl, Shelob's prettier sister. It's all in the Hofstetter.

Quote:
Seriously, I have no clue. Someone who presumably fell asleep or lay down on some pearls - but if she's not mentioned in the main texts, I am unlikely to be familiar with the name.
Okey dokey, let's go for an alternate clue (same answer):

9b. S - Upon her(?) lies a railway; in high place she(?) lies long; her(?) place's gems are oyster-wrought; Happy Mariners her(?) song.

hS
Old 11-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #10455
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Okay. From that I might propose SLEEPER, as the thing on which rails go, and also related to beds. Not sure about the rest of it.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #10456
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Okay. From that I might propose SLEEPER, as the thing on which rails go, and also related to beds. Not sure about the rest of it.
Y'know what, between you you've got two of the three key words, and I don't want to drag the thread down further, I'm going to give you this one. The full answer is SLEEPER IN THE TOWER OF PEARL, a figure from the unwritten Earendil tales who Tolkien at one point considered making Idril. The poem The Happy Mariners is said by CT to be 'the song of the Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl'.

(Said tower is on one of the Twilight Isles.)

RIVER-WOMAN - Serious party-going lady swaps to the second half of Elvish exclamation, and sends her daughter out gathering. (Who and what is she?)
SLEEPER IN THE TOWER OF PEARL - Her(?) bed was made by a really, really irritated oyster. // Upon her(?) lies a railway; in high place she(?) lies long; her(?) place's gems are oyster-wrought; Happy Mariners her(?) song. (Unknown identity)

Well done all! I didn't expect it to be this hard... I think I'm out of practice with these things.

I think it's Pervinca up next?

hS
Old 11-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #10457
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I liked it! I thought the clues were very reasonable. And when Pervinca guessed the password, by what I still think a stroke of magnificent inspiration, a bunch more clues fell down. I think it was just the last clue that gave trouble - and considering "pearl" was one of the earliest elements to be guessed, the problem was clearly not with the clue itself, but that the answer didn't occur to us. Speaking for myself, that is ever my struggle with HOME clues, which only means that one of these days I will have to read BOLT. I liked the password, and the theme. It is so creative and off the beaten path, and I am still amazed with Pervinca nailing it with just a couple letters and non-standard answers (no Tom Bom yet!).
Old 11-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #10458
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, there were three letters guessed at the time, and the I and the E were together, and clue one was a wizard (I had forgotten the name Morinehtar but thought it was Mithrandir), so it wasn't too hard to guess.

Will have one up shortly. Just a small one this time.

Excellent work, Huinesoron, to still be coming up with new themes!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:22 AM   #10459
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Bump

Password, please?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #10460
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry. Can do this tea time tomorrow but not before. If that's too late someone else could do one, perhaps?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #10461
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Should someone else do one then, or do we wait?

Old 12-05-2020, 04:03 AM   #10462
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry for the wait ... here you are:

1. Coveted by one on a lunatic quest.
2. Time when Norse thinking is applied to a level water meadow.
3. Here, see a Dark Lord lose his extremities, but find directions in their place.
4. Country of cruel public executions?
5. Worships this place, in a roundabout way.
6. Harpers’ performances, adverbially.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #10463
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. Beer? Or alternatively, Arien?

3. RAUROS, from Sauron.

6. SADLY?... Of him the harpers sadly sing?
Old 12-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #10464
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1. Coveted by one on a lunatic quest.
2. Time when Norse thinking is applied to a level water meadow.
RAUROS: Here, see a Dark Lord lose his extremities, but find directions in their place.
4. Country of cruel public executions?
5. Worships this place, in a roundabout way.
SADLY: Harpers’ performances, adverbially.

Two right.

One wrong.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:04 AM   #10465
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#4: taken literally, this could be NUMENOR (or more precisely ARANDOR, the central region), noted for its fairly spectacular support of the principle that great works require sacrifices.

hS
Old 12-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #10466
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
#4: taken literally, this could be NUMENOR (or more precisely ARANDOR, the central region), noted for its fairly spectacular support of the principle that great works require sacrifices.

hS
'Cruel public executions' is the cryptic part of the clue.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:54 AM   #10467
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#1: G55 pointed the way towards the Man in the Moon ('lunatic', right?), and checking the poems:

He coveted SONG, and laughter long,
and viands hot, and wine,

#2 is making me think of Isildur: he has the 'Norse thinking' in "This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother", and 'water meadow' in Middle-earth points strongly at the Gladden Fields. But that doesn't give me an answer, so I'll just leave it as possible inspiration.

#4: still scouring the maps for the land of Meanbeheadings...!

hS
Old 12-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #10468
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I think Huinesoron has the right idea, but that the answer isn't 'song', but rather 'viands hot' and the password is VERSES

Old 12-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #10469
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I think Huinesoron has the right idea, but that the answer isn't 'song', but rather 'viands hot' and the password is VERSES
Ooh, I like the way you think. In which case #4, another S, could be STONINGLAND.

Steeds went striding to the Stoningland
as wind in the morning. War was kindled.

(Via Encyclopedia of Arda's 'Lands, Realms, and Regions' filter, not from memory.)

Which leaves us looking for a pair of Es...

hS
Old 12-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #10470
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

VIANDS (HOT): Coveted by one on a lunatic quest. (The Man In The Moon Came Down Too Soon)
E: Time when Norse thinking is applied to a level water meadow.
RAUROS: Here, see a Dark Lord lose his extremities, but find directions in their place. (Lament For Boromir)
STONINGLAND: Country of cruel public executions? (We Heard Of The Horns In The Hills Ringing)
E: Worships this place, in a roundabout way.
SADLY: Harpers’ performances, adverbially. (Gil-Galad Was An Elven- King)

Good work, team!

The Norse element is more linguistic than cultural (insofar as two such aspects can be separated).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-11-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #10471
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hurray for teamwork!

For 2, I don't have any thoughts regarding the Norse element, but if the straight clue is "time", I would hazard a guess of EVE or EVENING.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #10472
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

VIANDS (HOT): Coveted by one on a lunatic quest. (The Man In The Moon Came Down Too Soon)
EVENING: Time when Norse thinking is applied to a level water meadow. (When Evening In The Shire Was Grey)
RAUROS: Here, see a Dark Lord lose his extremities, but find directions in their place. (Lament For Boromir)
STONINGLAND: Country of cruel public executions? (We Heard Of The Horns In The Hills Ringing)
E: Worships this place, in a roundabout way.

EVEN= level.

ING is the Norse word for a water meadow.

One to go!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-11-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #10473
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

The last one could be Evereven (from REVERE + ???)

Old 12-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #10474
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
The last one could be Evereven (from REVERE + ???)
Afraid not.

I'll give you a hint, though.

The answer is from the third line of a song.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #10475
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Which song, though?

Old 12-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #10476
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Edoras (from 'adores')?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #10477
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

EVENING: Time when Norse thinking is applied to a level water meadow. (When Evening In The Shire Was Grey)
EDORAS: Worships this place, in a roundabout way. (From Dark Dunharrow In The Dim Morning)

Game, Set and Match!

Over to you.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #10478
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Game, Set and Match!
Thanks Pervinca; that was a fun mix of different styles of clues. And well done Urwen on getting the last one; I was stumped!

hS
Old 12-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #10479
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Gil-Galdy was an Elven thing of which the harpies madly sing...

Seconded! Neat password, and I also enjoyed the variety in the clues!

Looking forward to Urwen's!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #10480
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I'll come up with something shortly.

In the meantime, amuse yourself with Riddles in the Downs thread. It needs revitalization too.