The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #921
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
And some lovely Downers are using my account!

Pictures and reports to follow once Kath and Rune leave.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #922
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Bit off topic, but I love Greenie's hair! I wish I could style my hair like that.

A bit on topic, I cant wait until Agan comes! Then Ka, Lauri (who comes today), and I will have super fun meetup times!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #923
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
And Agan is a naughty little vixen
Yeah, I have girl crush on her. haha

And my mom is quick to worry too, which is why I left a certain part of my story out when I talked to her. Like the part where the bus driver dropped me off on the side of the highway at a sketchy truck stop. Ha.

I'll have my post up soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #924
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Me: Mom, I got to Omaha okay, but I have a problem.
Mom: ....
Me: Well, I'm sort of lost, alone in a car with two people I don't know, one of them like twice my age, and they just kind of decided to take me away.
Mom: ....And how did this happen exactly?
Me: Well, Phantom just kind of ditched me (f you've heard the story of my near trip to Bostonmoot, you'll know that, among other things, my mother thought Phantom was just going to leave me somewhere along the side of the road) and Shasta got lost on the way (true story, and thus relevant to this tale) so I just kind of got left alone with these people and they just kind of....dude, I'm a bit freaked out because they're gabbling in Finnish now (true story!) and I'm not quite sure what they're planning on doing to me. Yeah....not so much good.
Mom: *blinks several times, pretty much audibly* So....can you leave?
Me: I'm in the car. We're on the highway. I'm kind of trapped. What the what?
Mom: *blinks some more*
Me: *abruptly changes tone* And we're like lost on the way to Walmart (sort of true story, though we really only took a tiny wrong turn) but Phantom didn't answer his phone so we don't know what Shasta wants for dinner and goodness, I'm enjoying this. So....how have you been?
Mom: *twitches*

I'm a freaking horrible person. ^_^
And we all love you for it. This totally sounds like something my mom would do to me. Or vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
Btdubs. Fea and I have just now decided (aka I decided and informed her) that we shall probably be calling you fantastic people at some point later today when we're not sitting at the library where Fea is working and I'm so not getting paid to be. So brace yourself. Natch.
I'm thinking we need a massive group Skype call now.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #925
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril

Ok.

So my trip started last Friday. I left Sudbury at 1 in the morning. It took 2 hours to get over the border for some crazy reason so I ended up missing a bunch of my transfers. Long story short the bus driver decided he would drop me off at a truck stop on the side of the highway and Mac would pick me up there. So I was only there about 10 minutes but it was a little weird, people driving by gave me some strange looks. I actually ended up ariving at 1 pm to Geneva, which was 2 hours earlier then I was supposed to. No, I don't understand how that worked out that way.

So the first night was fairly relaxed. Mac and Rikae have 4 lovely girls and I had a lot of fun hanging out with them. They made me a lovely dinner, and after the girls went to bed (and came down several times for a glass of water, and likely also to check that I wasn't leaving or anything) we played a game of Catan, which I was dreadful at but it was still really fun.

The girls woke me up at 7:30 the next morning, but I didn't mind. Mac and I took the three older girls to go fly kites, and I had never done that before so I really enjoyed it! We had some relaxed time in their lovely backyard and around 1ish Mira, Fea, Nienna and Boro arrived! We pretty much just hung out and relaxed for a while, then Stick, Fea and I went with Mac to go get some groceries, and Stick and I had a fun time in the meat section.

That afternoon we went to a lovely park and grilled some hotdogs and hamburgers, and played Duck Duck Goose, and some variations. This is when I discovered that my fancy walking shoes are only good for walking, since I fell on my face when I tried to stand up too quickly, and I couldn't run in them.

The next morning I had some bonding time with Nienna while the other 3 took a nap, and then we all (minus the Rikae/Mac family) went mini-putting (or, mini-golfing which is what the Americans called it). We later went to get some ice cream and were very impressed by the wine ice cream, which was beyond fantastic.

When we got back Celuien was there, and she was just as sweet as I remembered her to be! Brinn arrived. Soon after the Finns and Kath arrived. Though we had never met in person we all hugged each other and had a moment of silence where I think everyone was just trying to take in all the awesome. I believe that night we played Apples to Apples, and I was really impressed because the Finns understood some American references that I didn't recognise. I couldn't get over how perfectly they knew English, and found out that they also spoke many other languages and I was beyond impressed.

The monday Nienna and Mira had to return home, so Fea, Kath and I went on a little road trip to bring them back. Once there Fea let Kath drive her automatic truck around a big field on her grandmother's property, since Kath had never driven one before, and it was really funny to watch her. I also had the chance to drive it, and now I totally want a big truck. It was fantastic.

The drive back was really great, we had some great bonding time and ate some amazing strawberries. We met up with everyone at a beautiful place called Watkins Glen, and took a ton of pictures and it was fabulous. That night we had a fire in the back yard, and had a bit of a cross dressing party, and played 2 games of werewolf. The first game was held outside and it was funny because everyone pulled out a role but then we realised that there was one role short, so we had to re-draw them. If that hadn't of happened Fea and I were wolves, and Nog was the Ranger. For the actual game it turned out that Fea and Nog were wolves, and I was the Ranger (there were supposed to be 3 wolves, haha, a miss-count that reminded us of something very similar Shasta had done in Boston).

The second game was done indoors, and we were getting rather tired. It ended up being down to me, Kath, Greenie, Lommy, Mac, Rikae and Agan. With 3 wolves, a Ranger and 3 ordors. Kath came out as the Ranger. It ended up being a tie lynch between Greenie and I, who were both innocents, so Rikae, Mac and Lommy won, and it was well deserved!

I actually have to cut off there. The rest of the story will include Niagara Falls, deer, a flying squirrel, and what really sunk the Titanic.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 06-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #926
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
I actually have to cut off there. The rest of the story will include Niagara Falls, deer, a flying squirrel, and what really sunk the Titanic.
Oh yay!! You're not going to forget about our crazy adventures and my....umm.....well, I'm not giving it away
Old 06-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #927
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
"And there's some deer."

"Where?"

"Side of the road."

"Where?"

"There are six."

"I can't see them!"

"One's bounding toward the road."

*whimper*

"Still bouncing."

*whimper*

"Passing them now."

*whimper*

"Can't see them any more."

"I WANT TO SEE DEER!"

Old 06-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #928
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Herein lies a tale of the Wisconsonmoot.

It was a dark and foggy morning as my sister drove me to the airport.

"I can't believe you're meeting strangers from the internet," she said.

"You're registered there too," I replied.

"Shut up," Oliphaunts_Rule retorted eloquently.

Not even waiting to see me off, she sped off in her rattly little red car, blasting Ace of Base as I surveyed the revolving door before me. This took little time to navigate, and within the hour I was on a plane to connect at MSP. Minnesota is, of course, raining when I am there.

And very soon I am at the Wisconsin airport. There is a nice little display of Grimm's Fairy Tale items there that I take pictures of as I am waiting for my ride.

Diamond18, who graciously let me sleep on her couch and chauffeured me, arrives soon after due to inferior online directions featuring such instructions as "Turn left, then turn right".

"Stupid Mapquest!" I offer.

Diamond laughs uncomfortably, and I decide against using an Uncloaked joke.

She took me to the place where she works, which features an indoor theme park. We were butt-kicked at lazer tag, but excelled at go-carts and the ferris wheel. Diamond turned out to be quite adept at the rope jungle, while I experienced gut-twisting vertigo and turned back like a little(r) girl.

Though this is not a cat reviewing website, I will say that Merry and Pippin are five-star cats and are fuzzy and exceedingly cuddlable.

The next day we went to a waterpark, which was something I had never been to, but henceforth loved. My efforts to awkwardly grope Diamond and kick her in the head were mildly successful.

We arrived at Ibrin's on Wednesday a little later and a little more frustrated than we wished, as I kept giving such wonderful directions as "Turn left here. Yes, that way is left...no no! It's right!" and "Um...I think...yeah, that was our turn back there.". Usually I am a decent side-seat driver, but my directionlexia was flaring up.

We ended up meating Ibrin and Mr. Ibrin, Lommy, Agan, Greenie and Noggie at a restaurant that evening, and much squeeing and hugging was done by most.

At Ibrin's we talked about many things, excluding cabbages, sealing wax or kings, but did include Mythbusters, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Paper Telephone. McCaber joined us here, and we told him of our adventure in finding him.

The Tale of the Wrong McCaber

We were told which kind of store McCaber worked at, but as it was a very common store, we did not know which specific store he worked at. The hunt was long and fruitless, as the store we tried did have someone with the same first name working there, but was obviously not the right nerd.

Upon inquiring a sales associate if there was a person belonging to a certain name working at that time, a blank stare was returned to us, in addition to an "Uhhh" and an "Umm". She pointed us out to a young worker, to whom Aganzir boldly walked up to.

"Are you from the Barrow Downs?" the pretty young thing asked in her lovely accent. The young man's gaze flitted from her to the four other young women from the internet giggling insanely several feet away. He muttered something inaudible and dashed outside. This was not the right McCaber. So we gave up.

Here endeth the tale of the wrong McCaber.

Henceforth, we returned to the house of Ibrin and watched Mythbusters and talked. McCaber did join us later, and more talking ensued.

Aganzir was extremely tired that whole night and disappeared for a while, before being found asleep on the floor.

Sleeping was done in rather tight quarters, and Diamond claimed she sat up in the night at some point screaming, but nobody remembered that happening. Heh heh. Nobody at all. Nooooooooobody at all. Hem.

Not a one of us was happy to be up by eight the next morning, but it could not be helped. Certain Finns wished to be away to their next stop, alas.

Ibrin was not able to join us, so Diamond, Nogrod, Aganzir, Thinlomien, A Little Green, McCaber and myself picked up some doughnuts on our way to a picnic.

We talked Werewolf for quite a while, and enjoyed the pleasant if still muddy weather. At last came the Departure of the Finniship, despite Diamond's best efforts to get us turned around and despite my best efforts to be kidnapped.

Ibrin and McCaber I hadn't the pleasure of interacting with yet. Ibrin was a very nice lady with many stories to tell. McCaber seemed to be a little too obsessed with Cthulhu and the Old Ones and and that combined with his interest with hydroponics and ichthyology was bit worrying, but a fine young nerd nonetheless, and quite nice.

Lommy, Greenie and Agan were just as sweet and enthused as they seem on the board, and while I've skyped with Lommy and Agan I was very happy to finally meet them in person. Nogrod was very enthusiastic and animated about everything.

On my final day in the Cheese state, Diamond took me on an epic quest to free the four elemental wizards. We were only successful in freeing one, although much knowledge of the arcane was learned. And I totally defeated a dragon.

That dragon found itself defeated.

Group shot:

It was an great time and was awesome to finally meet some of you. I'm saving up my pennies and hope to do it again in the not-too-horribly-distant future.

Last edited by Oddwen; 06-27-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: grammar and punctuation
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #929
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If the neighbor's obnoxious dog had gone on one of its barking fits at dawn, you might've had a wolf to add to the tale (albeit a small one). And you have such a nice and kind way of saying that I can't keep my mouth shut.... . And I continue to be remarkably unphotogenic.... *sigh*

It was a pleasure meeting you, and all the others!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #930
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

The tale continues.

We woke up on Tuesday and figured out the rides to head to Niagara Falls. I went in Fea's lovely truck with Kath, Boro and Agan. Mac and Rikae had to switch to another vehicle so went on their own with the Wereduckling. Everyone else went in Nog's vehicle. The way there I had a rather deep, but fantastic conversation with Aganzir. Her and I have very different views but she was very easy to talk too, and it was a very amiable conversation, despite our many differences. I adore this girl.

When we arrived in the city of Niagara Falls, NY, we got a bit lost, but since I had taken on the job of finding directions there and finding a meeting spot (with the help of my dear friend Google Maps), I was able to direct us to the correct parking lot and in no time we had met up with the other cars and with Bethberry and her lovely husband and son. I had other Canadians, and this pleased me.

We had some lunch inside a nice welcome centre, and it rained outside. Boro was sweet enough to buy Fea and I some matching necklaces that we were totally in love with, since the debit machines there hated my Canadian debit card. <3 We then went over to the falls and payed a dollar to get on the observation deck (keep that part in mind for later in the story), and some went on the Maid of the Mist boat to get closer to the Falls. We then discussed whether we should go over to the Canadian side, even though some didn't have their passports, and eventually decided there was no harm in trying.

We went through the free turnstiles onto the Rainbow Bridge. It was exciting to walk over the border line, and put one foot on each side, haha. Once we got to the customs booth Fea and I took the lead and walked up to the counter. She held up my passport along side Fea's driver's license, which confused us. She asked how we could possibly know each other and Fea skillfully avoided using the word 'internet' for quite some time, but eventually made the girl happy with 'literary forum'. Luckily, we all got through just fine, and lo and behold it wasn't raining at all on the Canadian side, it was actually very sunny. My country rocks.

We walked up a steap hill and looked in some little shops. On the way down we got some icecream and then looked at the Falls from the free observation deck (remember what I said about the US one? yeah, awesome). We then decided to head back to the US and had to pay 50 cents each to get on to the bridge (points out first sentence of previous paragraph). We had an immense moment of panic when Boro couldn't find his driver's license, but luckily a kind gentleman had found it on the ground outside customs and brought it in.

Then half the group had to leave. After some hugs and a very slow walk to Nog's vehicle, he and Greenie, Lommy, Agan and Boro left us. I lost count of how many times I hugged each of the girls, they are all just so sweet and snuggly and adorable, and I immediately missed them and Nog, and Boro.

I headed back in Fea's truck again with Kath and Brinniel. On the way when it was starting to get dark Fea exclaimed "Look at the deer!" and the conversation she described above then happened. It was really frustrating, cause I wanted to see a deer but clearly my eyes weren't working with me in this situation. On the ride home Kath and I decided that she would be taking the bus to Toronto with me, since she needed to get there and it was a stop for me on the way hoome. When we looked at bus prices I also looked at how much it would be to take her all the way home with me, and it was surprisingly expensive, but we decided that once in Toronto we would see if the prices could be brought lower.

We slept and woke up around 8:30 the next morning. Brinniel headed to the train station with the Wereduckling saying "bye bye" over and over, and it was adorable and sad to see her go. We watched Flushed Away with the girls and had some snuggle time with the Wereduckling. Then Fea left, and we were sad. Kath and I had more Wereduckling snuggles and eventually said goodbye to the girls and to Rikae. Mac drove us to the cute little bus station and then Kath and I headed towards Canada!

It was raining in Buffalo, but once we got over to Canada it stopped raining and was sunny. Haha, this made us really happy. We arrived in Toronto at 9pm and were very happy to get the bus tickets down to a more reasonable price. She was coming home with me!!! I immediately called Glirdan to make a date with him for the next day, telling him I got him a gift from Geneva that he had to have right away, and luckily he was available! We had something to eat and then hung out for 3 hours in the bus station, almost falling asleep and grateful to finally get on the bus. My dad picked us up from the bus station in Sudbury at 5:30 am and we took a nice little nap before going to pick up Glirdan at 9:30.

It was epic. He was so excited and so surprised and Kath was the best birthday present ever for him! I brought them out to breakfast and we had some epicly delicious waffles, then we went to Science North, which is Sudbury's snow flake shaped science centre. We say some cool animals and spent some time in the butterfly room (yes, I was very happy). We also used some picture of butterfly wings that looked like letters to make mine and Glirdan's names. We lied down on the bed of nails, and played with dominoes. We got to pet an adorable flying squirrel, and Glirdy was eaten. That night my brother (Wayne the Goblin, for anyone who may remember him), came with us to see the Big Nickel, and then we just hung out that evening playing Scrabble.

After our scrabble game Kath used the paper to make a little boat and this little claw thing. She then used the claw to pick up and throw over the boat saying something like "mwahaha, there goes the Titanic". And Glirdan responded with "So it was a giant claw that sunk the Titanic, not the ice cream." No, I didn't type that wrong, he actually said that. It's revealed people, ice cream sunk the Titanic, not some lousy iceburg. This kept us laughing all the way to his house.

Back home Kath and I (and my sister, Lote, if anyone remembers her) watched the first half of A Very Potter Musical, and it was fantastic, but then we were sleepy and so slept. Lote came with us to get Glirdy the next morning and we went out for breakfast, talked about Bostonmoot and eventually had to drop Kath off at the bus station. She left at 1pm on the Friday. I thought it was cool that my Downer time lasted exactly 1 week, down to the hour.

And that was my trip, and it was epic and I loved everyone and miss them all very much!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #931
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
After our scrabble game Kath used the paper to make a little boat and this little claw thing. She then used the claw to pick up and throw over the boat saying something like "mwahaha, there goes the Titanic". And Glirdan responded with "So it was a giant claw that sunk the Titanic, not the ice cream." No, I didn't type that wrong, he actually said that. It's revealed people, ice cream sunk the Titanic, not some lousy iceburg. This kept us laughing all the way to his house.
Best Freudian slip of my life, just sayin!!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #932
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You all look like children having so much fun!!

Cute flying squirrel!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 06-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #933
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
You all look like children having so much fun!!
There's not a Wendy amongst us.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #934
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
She asked how we could possibly know each other and Fea skillfully avoided using the word 'internet' for quite some time, but eventually made the girl happy with 'literary forum'.
Maybe we should start using the code term "International Book Club".

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #935
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
International Online Book Club it's true
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #936
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Back home Kath and I (and my sister, Lote, if anyone remembers her)
...man that'd confuse me if she were still around.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #937
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Maybe we should start using the code term "International Book Club".
Haha!

Wilwa and I kept sharing these nervous meaningful glances as we tried to simultaneously and silently come up with a plausible and acceptable translation of:

"Our somewhat crazy group of internationals met on the internet, are having a massive party, and now want to cross into another country without the proper travel documents. Please let us."

But really, when the guard lady asked how long we'd all known each other and Wilwa and I were both just like, "Um... it depends on registration date?"

And then I started listing the approximate join date of people until the guard lady clearly decided that if we were going to tell lies, we'd have chosen a better one than, "We all talk about Lord of the Rings on the internet."

Which isn't strictly true anymore, since we mostly all just play werewolf or talk on Facebook! But we really didn't want to explain that we spend most of our hobby time pretending to murder each other!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #938
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Quote:
But we really didn't want to explain that we spend most of our hobby time pretending to murder each other!
Can you imagine? I don't think she would have found that funny, at all, haha. Especially if we said "hey, see that baby over there? Yeah, she loves that game, and wolves make her happy. Wanna hear her growl?" :P

Then there was the guy getting back to the US. Fea showed her driver's license and he was like "Do you have anything else on you?" and so she said "My car keys and 10 bucks"(since that was literally all she had on her) and he was like "Car keys? What use are car keys? Why would you even say that?" and we both just stood there staring at him, totally confused, and rediculously annoyed. She was trying to get into her own country, haha, and he wasn't being very nice. Luckily that time we didn't let on that we were all together, we just went up in mini groups, so we didn't have to deal with the whole "how do you know each other?" thing.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #939
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To those who are more in contact with the Finns -- they said they would be in the DC area on the 15th of July, and I had talked about maybe meeting up with them. But I will actually be out of the country through the 18th. Rather a bizarre turn of events... I cannot remember if they are flying out right about then? Anyway, it seems I will miss them...

Sorry to cut into the reminiscing. I just thought this the most likely place for word and my apology to get to them before they return home... Or if they are checking emails let me know if I should send them one. Thank you guys!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #940
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
To those who are more in contact with the Finns -- they said they would be in the DC area on the 15th of July, and I had talked about maybe meeting up with them. But I will actually be out of the country through the 18th. Rather a bizarre turn of events... I cannot remember if they are flying out right about then? Anyway, it seems I will miss them...
Our flight back home takes off from NYC on the 20th. We'll probably be in New York from the 17th or so, which means that if you're willing to travel there to meet us we will be ever so happy! (And any of you sweethearts who said you liked us so much, a trip to NYC is never a bad idea.. )

Aww. I don't think I'll start ranting about any of our lovely Downer-meetings quite yet - from my part at least you'll probably have to wait for a super-epic massive post once I'm back home.. For now, I will just say that we have met a bunch of adorable people all of whom I miss already.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #941
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Our flight back home takes off from NYC on the 20th. We'll probably be in New York from the 17th or so, which means that if you're willing to travel there to meet us we will be ever so happy! (And any of you sweethearts who said you liked us so much, a trip to NYC is never a bad idea.. )

Aww. I don't think I'll start ranting about any of our lovely Downer-meetings quite yet - from my part at least you'll probably have to wait for a super-epic massive post once I'm back home.. For now, I will just say that we have met a bunch of adorable people all of whom I miss already.

Soooo....I dreamt you guys were at my house last night. I think this means something.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #942
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Side note: There was supposed to be a super Skype date with me, Stick, Sally, Shasta, the phantom, the Finns, and possibly others, and it failed through almost no fault of mine.

The first time it failed was because when Stick and I got home from work, my house lacked power and thus internet due to bathroom remodeling adventures.

Then they weren't home when my power was back on.

Then we weren't home when Sally called saying people were home and ready. And then though eventually Stick made it back to my house, I never did.

And so, Skype failed. Lo siento. Otherwise there'd be stories from that too. And I doubt anybody wants to hear why I never made it home Saturday night.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #943
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:

Then we weren't home when Sally called saying people were home and ready. And then though eventually Stick made it back to my house, I never did.

And so, Skype failed. Lo siento. Otherwise there'd be stories from that too. And I doubt anybody wants to hear why I never made it home Saturday night.
She was hippie cuddling, and don't let her try to tell you differently. I apparently totally missed the memo about them calling when we weren't home. Oh wait...
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #944
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Finns in America pt I

As you probably know by now, us Finns (Thinlómien, A Little Green, Nogrod and yours truly) decided to travel to the United States to see all our American Downer friends, and also a bit of the country itself. This is our 13th day of travelling, and we're currently in Salt Lake City. Thus far we've seen at least one Downer each day.

We arrived in New York City late at night (9pm, but my body told me it was actually 4am) and slept there before taking a bus to Boston to see Brinniel on Friday. It's over two years since we last saw her, and we all were pretty excited about meeting her again. She took us to her house which was quite lovely, and after some unpacking and relaxing we went to get some food and, despite the heat we northerners are not at all used to, walk around Boston. In the evening Brinn introduced Apples to Apples to us – a game that, interestingly enough, hasn't been translated into Finnish. We learned that Greenie doesn't find the phantom repulsive and Lommy doesn't think Kath is idiotic.

On Saturday we got up early and walked the Freedom Trail which turned out to be quite interesting. (OOT: Lommy is just reading the book 'The Third Chimpanzee' and found out there's an extinct species called Shasta ground sloth.) After that we visited the New England Aquarium. It was an awesome place, and we spent hours watching the fishes. Lommy liked the penguins and the tortoises the most while my favourites were the stingrays, Nog liked an ugly fish whose name he can't remember, and Little Green fell in love with a big green monster.

In the end we were in quite a hurry if we wanted to have dinner before picking up our rental car and Kath from the airport, but even though Kath's flight landed early, Nog, Brinn and I were at the airport just on time with a ++Kath sign. Lommy and Greenie had gone back to Brinn's place and taken a nap, and they came to open the door to us only after five minutes of ringing the doorbell and trying to call them. They were not quite so tired anymore, so we made drinks (Greenie had a little green drink in a big green glass) and played more Apples to Apples, finding out the phantom is desperate.

On Sunday it was time to head to Geneva. We drove there with Kath while Brinn took a plane, and after hours of sitting in the car our GPS told us we had arrived at Rikae and Macalaure's house. It looked surprisingly empty, but just when we pulled up in front of it, a girl in a black-and-white striped shirt (who turned out to be Fea) came out and shouted something, and suddenly lots of people (Rikae, Boro, wilwa, Nienna, Mira, Celuien, and the Wereduckling of course) came from the backyard to welcome us. I have met several Downers before, but it still felt weird to see so many at once (Celuien, Mira, Kath, wilwa, Greenie)! And actually it wasn't even awkward. Even though none of us Finns had met them before, we had talked to them on the Downs and seen what they look like on Facebook, so they didn't feel strangers at all. (Later Mac came with Brinn, whom he picked up at the airport.)

So we sat down in the backyard while Fea and Boro cooked for us (it was delicious), and after that we ate the peach cobbler Celuien had made (om nom nom). In the end we spent most of the night talking about all kinds of random stuff in small groups, and when the insects began to bother us too much, we went inside and played Apples to Apples.

On Monday Nienna and Mira had to leave. Fea drove them back to her place, and Kath and wilwa went along. We others went to Watkins Glen (Rivendell), and Fea & co joined us there later. It was a really beautiful place.
The evening was also lots of fun. Rikae's and Macalaure's parents came visiting and we had a campfire and grilled sausages. Rikae's oldest daughter told us that the worse your sausage burns, the more evil you are. I was busy explaining something to somebody while grilling mine, and when I finally realised it was still grilling, it was very, very black. I swear I didn't do it on purpose.
Then some of us had fun cross-dressing, and later we played two games of werewolf. In the first one, the day 1 main suspects were Fea, Rikae and Aganzir who, said the village, had acted unnecessarily wolfishly on purpose. Déjà vu, anyone? In the second game I voted for Macwolf every day but the wolves won anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I was killed and discovered to be a wolf, for reasoning that was quite faulty, but also clearly lucky.
Fea: Agan, are you a wolf?
Agan: Just as much as you are.
*later* Fea: Okay so Agan said she's a wolf...
village: Lynch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Kath, Wilwa, and I fell asleep listening to Lommy and Agan murmuring in Finnish.
It was either the night we discussed how awesome people you are or the night we talked about me.

On Tuesday we packed our things and drove to Niagara Falls. I sat between wilwa and Boro and talked with wilwa pretty much the whole ride. Although we have differing world views, it was really interesting. I hadn't had too much interaction with her before, and although everybody who has met her had told me she's sweet, I was still surprised she's so lovely. It would be impossible not to like her.

We met Bêthberry, her son who also has a Downs account (unfortunately I can't remember his user name), and her husband in Niagara. They all were very nice too. After hanging around and visiting the sunny Canada (Boro, Nog, wilwa, Rikae, Fea, Brinn, Green, Lommy, Kath, Mac), it was time to say goodbye. We postponed it by taking very tiny steps while walking back to the parking lot, and when we had finally reached the cars, we spent several minutes just hugging one another and exchanging comments like 'We must meet again,' 'Come to Finland!' and 'Any chance you could visit New York City before we fly back home?'

And then the others left back for Geneva and we took Boro with us and headed westward. In the car, we discovered that both Lommy and Greenie had adopted Kath's way of saying 'really, really [adjective].' I was suddenly exhausted – with the time zone difference and getting too little sleep because I was too busy hanging around with awesome people, only adrenaline had kept me going. At one point I was talking to Boro, realised I wasn't making sense at all and pointed out he should now understand why I always screw things up if I play werewolf when I'm tired, and he said something along the lines 'I see what you mean.'

In Boro's apartment, we stayed awake for a while and went through the photos we had taken, but we went to bed soon enough. And (too) early on Wednesday morning it was time for us to move on. Thus ended our trip's first major Downer meet-up.

I had met Brinn and Kath before, and both were just as awesome as I remembered. Brinn was a very good host and had planned nice things for us during our stay in Boston. It was really helpful to have with us someone who actually knew the city, otherwise we would have been totally lost. Plus, she looks gorgeous with short hair. As for Kath, I had really missed her sense of humour and her straightforwardness. And I had almost too much fun poking at her ribs.

I didn't know Nienna and Mira too well in advance and I only spent one evening with them, but they both seemed very nice. Celuien had work so she could be with us only in the evenings. I didn't talk to her as much as I would've wanted to, but I liked her as well. And thanks to her, I could make a painting for Boro (she took a nice picture of him and Rune in Bostonmoot).

I love Rikae and Macalaure. They are so sweet and lots of fun to be around! And they both are much less scary in real life than online: back in my newbie days (and okay, even later), I used to be semi-scared of Rikae, while Mac, on the other hand, looks darn scary only in pictures. Also, the Wereduckling is awesome. It was so cute to hear her growl. She was also afraid of Nog at first, but later she learned to say his name, and she told us Mac was a wolf when we played werewolf, but unfortunately nobody paid heed to her words. Rikae's other kids were awesome as well. And I loved their house, especially the basement. We did the laundry before we left, and some of my clothes still smell of their basement.

Boro was great too. He was quieter in live werewolf than he is on the Downs and it felt weird at first, but then again Nog is also like that. Anyway he is sweet and funny, and it was interesting to hear him talk about why he wants to be a teacher.

Fea is, if possible, even lovelier in real life. She was very much fun to be around, and she has the knack of being able to tell about even the most trivial stuff so that it sounds interesting. Also, she was great to play werewolf with, and even though I've always disagreed with her on the significance of day 1s, I'll never again be able to accuse her because of her behaviour if I think of her in real life werewolf! She was hilarious.

Bêthberry was sweet as well, and I love her hair.

So, on to Wisconsin. Lommy and I slept some hours in the car, but I was still rather tired when we arrived at Ibrin's place. We went to get something to eat, and soon after we had got to the restaurant, Oddwen and Diamond18 joined us. After eating we drove to the closest Walmart and tried to find McCaber, but it didn't go quite as planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
She pointed us out to a young worker, to whom Aganzir boldly walked up to.
There happened to be a guy with the same first name and a last name that differed from McCaber's by only a few letters!

So we returned back to Ibrin's place and watched some Mythbusters. And I was quite tired. Around 10pm I thought, 'I'll go upstairs for a while, I just need some quiet,' and the next thing I knew was somebody coming into the room and saying 'McCaber just arrived, it's past 11pm.' So I went back downstairs and was as social as I could, but I'm not very much fun to be with when I'm tired.

Thursday morning was better. We started westward around 10am with Oddwen, Diamond and McCaber and had a picnic somewhere, after which Cabbie left us. Greenie and I rode with Diamond, and we had so much fun talking about werewolf that we entertained the people in the other car by accidentally driving past the exit we were supposed to take. When we eventually found a gas station we could stop at, we parted with Oddwen and Diamond and headed towards Omaha.

Ibrin and her husband were very talkative and easy to be with, and it was really funny to hear her talk about the RPGs she had played, the OneRing.net, fan fiction etc.

Oddwen and Diamond were awesome. One of the most hilarious moments during Wisconsinmoot was when Oddwen all of a sudden walked to Lommy and poked at her nose! McCaber was really nice too, although he talked so fast I had a hard time deciphering what he was saying, especially in the evening.

So we drove the whole day, and some of us spent their time sleeping in the car again. When we were about a 100 miles from Omaha we called the phantom whose house we were supposed to stay at. He was shocked: 'What, are you coming today? I thought it was tomorrow!' Fortunately he didn't mind us staying there an extra night, and in the end we parked in front of his lair around 9.30pm. Phantom and Nog talked a lot about sports which bored me so I went online, and when I tried to find the others later, they were in the basement playing table football. Phantom and Greenie made a very good team while we others (first Nog & Lommy, then Lommy & me) scored lots of own goals.

On Friday, sally and Shasta arrived and I found the phantom's tree house in the backyard. Sally came first. She was just as sweet as you'd imagine, and she gave us all ballpoint pens made of corn fibre. Shasta, who had got lost a couple of times, arrived some time later, and Nog, Lommy & sally went to grocery. Phantom, Greenie, Shasta and I sat in the phantom's living room (which was dark because the blinds were down). Phantom kneeled before Greenie and started to tell her of a dream he had had, and Shasta and I talked about all kinds of random stuff. He was very easy to talk to and we got along quite well:
Agan: 'I used to have a crush on Downer X.'
Shasta: 'Oh. Me too.'
And then we discussed our Downer crushes, and suddenly we realised Greenie and phantom were staring at us. They claimed they didn't hear anything, though. Shortly after that the shoppers came back and I helped Nog with the cooking while the others continued talking in the living room.

After eating we played werewolf twice. Greenie and Nog were the wolves, and phantom surprised us with a very accurate interpretation of the first night's events (for those who don't know, we don't have a mod at the beginning but the roles are written on pieces of paper, and before the day starts, we count aloud to ten with our eyes covered so the wolves can find out each other's identity meanwhile): he could tell from Greenie's (who was sitting next to him) voice that she was turning her head and began to smile when she saw her partner. Not surprisingly, the wolves lost. In the next game we wanted to avoid that kind of accidents so we decided everyone claps their hands ten times. Nog lost the count which led inevitably to jokes about the clap. This time Nog and Shasta were wolves, and they won quite easily. Greenie threatened to kill them both but hasn't carried out her plan yet. In one of the games, Lommy got annoyed with the phantom and talked about 'the plans he creates in his small head.' Phantom was shocked by this comment.

The rest of the night involved Apples to Apples (we really like the game!), jokes about pants, and Shasta and Greenie singing Disney songs. Shasta's rendition of Be Prepared made me extremely happy.

On Saturday morning sally, Greenie and I were the first ones to be up. We gossiped about the phantom's softer side, and when everybody else was awake, Lommy, Greenie, Shasta & me explored the phantom's backyard. There's lots of mud (Lommy & Greenie still have some under their toenails) and a lovely brook where everybody except Shasta was attacked by leeches.

In the afternoon we packed our things and headed west. We played word games, and I hated Shasta's 'I'm going to the moon and taking with me X' game because I sucked at it. Actually I sucked at almost every game we played. Not good for my ego.
We parted with sally (who gave us our very own copy of Apples to Apples, yay!) in the late afternoon and continued our trip, trying to find a motel. However, they all seemed to be fully booked (according to the phantom this happened because Greenie brings bad luck), and at least Shasta and I ended up sleeping in the car. We found one as late as 1.30am, and when we woke up in the morning, we saw we were in South Dakota in the middle of nowhere.

On Sunday we visited Badlands (Shasta found the Pride Rock and played Simba) and Mount Rushmore, had a picnic in a forest and climbed on rocks. That night we found a motel relatively early but stayed up relatively late writing hilarious stories, playing werewolf (there were only six of us so we had a wolf, cobbler and ranger) – in the first game I was the cobbler and they lynched Shastawolf on day 1 because someone got the idiotic idea that we were the baddies because we joked about it, and in the second game Nog was the wolf and got lynched on the last day despite Lommler's valiant efforts to distract us; and Apples to Apples again. We finally went to sleep around 4am.

Yesterday phantom and Shasta left us, which made Greenie and me sick. Our being sick made also Lommy sick. Not nice.

Neither the phantom nor Shasta was quite what I had imagined. Phantom's softer side turned out to be very soft, but for his reputation's sake I must add he hates the sun and everything that grows (except for certain little green things), and he broke both Greenie's finger and her confidence in her musical skills.

Shasta, on the other hand, was much more evil than I had thought (that's certainly not a bad thing though). He's a terrific singer and provided us with lots of entertainment also in the form of climbing high rocks. Yesterday, after the guys had left, we stopped to eat while driving on the Bighorn Mountains, and somebody pointed out it was good we didn't have Shasta with us any more because otherwise we'd never have been able to leave (there was a particularly high rock next to us). And next time I meet him, I'd love to see him wear 8-inch stilettos.

We just came back to our hotel after having dinner with mormegil & his family in a fancy Mexican restaurant and driving/walking around Salt Lake City, whose geography actually reminds us of Gondolin (what with it lying between mountains etc). Morm isn't half so scary as I thought. He's actually very nice, and his family is adorable. We had much fun talking about werewolf and the Downs in general.

Tomorrow the others fly to San Francisco and I fly to Seattle to spend some quality Ka, TGEW & Laurinquë time. I'm happy we're not even halfway through our trip yet and there are still more Downers we're going to meet, but at the same time I miss everybody like crazy. You all are ♥

Last edited by Aganzir; 07-25-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #945
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I finally met some fellow Downers. I think I'm the only Downer who hasn't actually met a fellow Downer and now I have. I had a lovely evening with Nogrod, Lommy, Little Green and Aganzir, along with my family in tow. It was, in my opinion at least quite enjoyable. I'm glad to have finally met some Downers and it reminded me why I love this forum and I am glad we have the common thread of our love of Tolkien to bring us together. Thank you for a lovely evening you 4.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #946
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Meeting the Finns...

Thursday, 6:30 PM- I was busy finishing up some work when my phone lit up. I was expecting a call from a friend and so I did not bother to view the screen before answering. But the voice that responded was not that of my friend. It was Lommy!

I was very pleased to hear from the Finns, as I desired to arranged the specifics of their arrival the following day and work out the details of our weekend travels. Imagine my surprise when I was informed that they were nearly to Omaha and were intending to stay there that very night!

I spent the next couple of hours rushing around to get everything prepared, and then there they were, pulling up in front of my house. The wait was over.

Thursday night- The Finns and I settled in and got acquainted and discussed what we would do the next couple of days. We also played some foosball. Lommy showed less flare for the game than did her sister, a fact that Greenie and I pointed out repeatedly. At one point Greenie went so far as to exclaim, "Come on, at least make an effort!" after scoring a goal.

The evening was capped off by the girls all wearing the souvenirs I had gotten them- Nebraska Husker shirts!

Friday- Aganzir skipped off into the woods to explore, wearing no shoes at all! I am still uncertain how she managed it given the stickers and poison ivy that carpets the forest. Meanwhile Lommy sat down in the yard with her laptop and I threw the football (American version) around with Nog and Green.

After that we visited Buffalo Wild Wings during the afternoon football matches (non-American version). The food was tasty as always and then we took the long way back home. We had some time to kill before Sally and Shasta arrived, so we messed around with YouTube videos and musical instruments and just generally had fun.

Friday night- Sally and Shasta arrived and the group was complete! After a raid of the grocery store Nog master-minded a lovely meal and after filling our tummies we set about making epic Werewolf fun. And we were more than a little successful, I can tell you.

No lie, the very first day of our first game was possibly the best Day 1 ever! It lasted a good 20+ minutes, and rather than random votes and people complaining about how random Day 1s are, the votes were cast with conviction and there was lots of legitimately great discussion. We started the game by closing our eyes and putting our heads down and counting to ten. During this time the two people who drew Werewolf roles were to put their heads up so that they would know who was on their side on Day 1.

Well, I heard a certain Downer's voice change direction during the counting, telling me that this individual was a Werewolf looking around to find a partner. In addition I heard this person smile when they were almost fully turned my direction, telling me that the other Werewolf was most likely directly to my right (we were spread out through the living room).

So, armed with this information I launched directly into an accusation to open the day and things were off and running. It was... well... you just had to be there. Incredibly epic.

The first day of our second game on the other hand was the worst Day 1 ever. It lasted around 25 minutes or so, and I may actually be exaggerating by saying that 5 minutes was spent on topic. Somehow or other we continually ended up telling "pants" jokes or jokes involving "the clap". And just so everyone understands why we were making such jokes, after the events of the first game we did not wish to count aloud at the start of this game, and so we resolved instead to clap ten times with our eyes shut before day 1 so that the Werewolves could find each other.

Well, a certain one of our number gave an extra couple of claps at the end. Naturally, I quickly accused this individual of being a Werewolf on the grounds that he was too busy identifying his fellow wolf to keep track of the number of claps. Someone else bemoaned the fact that I had yet again been handed a free reason to suspect someone from the get-go, phrasing it something like, "First it was the counting, and now Phantom's been handed the clap!" After that it was chaos, and I don't think there was a laugh-free second the rest of the day. The Wolves won that game, but I'd just like to point out that I supported lynching them every day, and the other villagers just didn't obey me properly. *shakes fist*

(Funny quote- At one point Greenie said that something Agan had done caused her to look suspicious, and Agan dismissively responded, "Well, that's really not my problem."

Saturday- It was time to hit the road. Shasta and the girls piled into Sally's car and in far too short a time we reached the parting of the ways, where we were forced to say farewell to Sally.

Upon reaching our destination (Valentine, Nebraska) we discovered that there was a big event going on and no rooms were available. I had foolishly joked earlier in the drive that such a thing would happen, and so it was decided that it was my fault. We ended up driving for another couple of hours before stopping that night, but that was fine as it gave me more time to get to know the Downer that was currently riding with me- Greenie. It turns out she isn't nearly as boring or mean as I was expecting her to be.

Sunday- We took a couple of lovely walks in the badlands and I got to ride with Agan and Lommy, who taught me a new travel game that pleased me greatly. After the badlands we moved on to Mount Rushmore, and then we ate an excellent picnic lunch on a rocky hill. After the picnic we set about exploring the hillside. Both here and in the badlands Shasta took every opportunity to climb upon a high rock and pose for a picture.

Sunday night- We checked into rooms in Gillette, Wyoming and kicked off a night of games. First we did something I had never done before- combined story writing! We each started a story, but limited our writing to two lines, and then we folded the paper in such a way that only one line could be read and passed it to the next person. The next person was only allowed to look at that one single line before adding two lines of their own, and so on down the line.

Our stories turned out to be quite amusing. I would post them on here (we did 12 of them), but if I'm not mistaken every last one of them contains something that would make it unsuitable for the forum. Not surprisingly the unsuitable parts were mostly all in the same hand-writing, but I won't point any fingers (and I'm sure you can figure it out anyway ).

After that we played a couple games of Werewolf featuring Werewolf, Cobbler, Ranger, and three Ordos. Both games were fantastic, but I'll leave it to someone else to give a blow-by-blow account. Summary from my point of view- everyone I ever declared innocent turned out to be so, and I was a fantastic Ranger! *toots own horn*

To cap the night off we played Apples to Apples.

Monday- Shasta and I said goodbye to the Finns and headed back east. We were very sad. The first part of the trip was spent talking about online games and listening to Nightwish. At some point my throat took a turn for the worse (I had been feeling rather ill since the night before), and so Shasta did a lot of napping and reading after that. As we neared Omaha my throat began feeling better and we chattered away once again. Shasta made his exit the following morning and the moot was officially over.

Sally- She was as funny and cheerful as ever and I'm sure I'll be seeing her again in the coming months. Having another Downer living close is quite nice.

Shasta- He was just as entertaining and fun as he was in Bostonmoot, which anyone who was in Boston will tell you is high praise.

Nogrod- I finally got to meet my Arda Cup cosponsor! He was very much his Downs self- smart, responsible, and very polite and gracious.

Agan- She was... Maria. She had her own patented facial expressions and even her very own accent, as well as extremely long nails. I still wonder how she types.

Lommy- She was big on insults. I lost track of the number of bad things she said about me in our short time together. But she was just kidding around of course. I think.

Greenie- Perhaps the best travel companion I've ever been granted. Sharing music and conversation with her was quite enjoyable, and I'm sure she'll report that I am even more dark and evil and such in real life than on the Downs.

There is much more that could be said for each person and each day, but I'll let others have their chance first. Long story short- the whole thing was fantastic! Totally worth coming down ill.

And lastly- moon, lightning, stars, Westside Story.

Last edited by the phantom; 06-30-2010 at 01:26 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #947
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Wow Aganzir, that's more people than I've met in the last 10 years.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #948
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
I finally met some fellow Downers. I think I'm the only Downer who hasn't actually met a fellow Downer and now I have.
Meh, you're not (weren't) the only one.
I don't suppose the Southeast is on the Finns' itinerary?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #949
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Agan: 'I used to have a crush on Downer X.'
Shasta: 'Oh. Me too.'
And then we discussed our Downer crushes, and suddenly we realised Greenie and phantom were staring at us. They claimed they didn't hear anything, though. Shortly after that the shoppers came back and I helped Nog with the cooking while the others continued talking in the living room.
Sooooo curious.

I mean, I had a teenage crush on the phantom, but who didn't?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #950
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Sooooo curious.

I mean, I had a teenage crush on the phantom, but who didn't?
Are you suggesting that some of us stopped?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #951
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't suppose the Southeast is on the Finns' itinerary?
Vaguely, as that's where I am right now. We're still trying to arrange things, but the House of Nog is answering PMs if you don't mind waiting for a bit. They won't be in the area for another couple of weeks, so that's plenty of time to arrange something. Rather depends on how blocked out their itinerary is so far.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #952
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
At long last, I have something to post here.

I was able to get in touch with Nog, Agan, Greenie, and Lommy and arrange to meet them on the Southeastern leg of their journey as they passed through Birmingham. It came together rather quickly, so I didn't have time to arrange things for them the way I would have liked. Still, got together and had a very nice dinner with them. Chocolate brownies with ice cream is a wonderful thing, is it not?
It was a wonderful time, and my only complaint is that I didn't have longer to spend with them. Absolutely delightful people. Thanks for making my first RL Downer meeting such a pleasant experience.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #953
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
I finally met some fellow Downers. I think I'm the only Downer who hasn't actually met a fellow Downer and now I have. I had a lovely evening with Nogrod, Lommy, Little Green and Aganzir, along with my family in tow. It was, in my opinion at least quite enjoyable. I'm glad to have finally met some Downers and it reminded me why I love this forum and I am glad we have the common thread of our love of Tolkien to bring us together. Thank you for a lovely evening you 4.
Not so, my friend. I, too, had never met anyone from the Downs before, but Thursday changed that. I met them, too, and it was marvelous. I was so excited I hardly knew what to do with myself, and I hope I didn't look like a fool half the time. In the two hours they were there, I managed to embarrass myself extremely at least once...

Nogrod and company, I have a question to ask you all sometime so that a matter between me and my Camp friends can be settled...

-- Folwren
Old 07-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #954
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A few quick comments, a more elaborate post on our Downer meetings will follow when we have more time. Suffice to say everybody is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Friday- Aganzir skipped off into the woods to explore, wearing no shoes at all! I am still uncertain how she managed it given the stickers and poison ivy that carpets the forest.
We don't have poison ivy in Finland so I was obviously not aware it might be dangerous. Anyway either it doesn't affect me or I'm even better at walking barefoot in forests than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
(Funny quote- At one point Greenie said that something Agan had done caused her to look suspicious, and Agan dismissively responded, "Well, that's really not my problem."
If the village decides to lynch innocent!me, it's their problem, not mine. I'm only helpful as long as they want my help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Not surprisingly the unsuitable parts were mostly all in the same hand-writing, but I won't point any fingers (and I'm sure you can figure it out anyway).
We're quite unanimous there was more than one family-unfriendly handwriting!

Quote:
Sooooo curious.
X stands obviously for xyzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
In the two hours they were there, I managed to embarrass myself extremely at least once...
We at least didn't notice anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Nogrod and company, I have a question to ask you all sometime so that a matter between me and my Camp friends can be settled...
Sure, go ahead!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #955
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
We don't have poison ivy in Finland so I was obviously not aware it might be dangerous. Anyway either it doesn't affect me or I'm even better at walking barefoot in forests than I thought.
Good thing that you have good skills; it's either that or good luck that helped you not step on the shattered glass in the forest in Washington!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #956
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Sure, go ahead!
Okay, this may sound ridiculous to you, but it wasn't my doing, it was their's...

You had not been gone for two minutes before Janie, Zhenya, and Justin withdrew into a clump apart from Chad and I and when I began to pay attention to what they were saying, what I heard was, "Yes, it was definitely a Brittish accent."

"You guys!" I said, bursting in on their bubble. "They're from Finland - it was a Finnish accent!"

"No, no," they said wisely, turning towards me. "We obviously heard an English accent in there."

"How on earth could it be an English accent when they grew up and learned English in Finland?"

They tried to convince me that it was a Brittish accent and a reason that it might be that is because that would be the closest English speaking people near you, so you would take up their accent. I tried to explain that it didn't matter if the Brittish were the closest to you, you all learned English in grade school, so your accents would be Finnish, since you learned it from childhood AND you learned it from Finnish teachers, not from Brittish ones.

So....prove I'm right, and tell me that your accent is not a Brittish accent, but a Finnish one. er...I mean, tell me what accent you would consider yours to be. When you see a person from Britain, is their accent different than yours? I know that looking back, for instance, the way Aganzir's proper name is pronounced by you all is very different from how we pronounce it here in America, and again different from how it would be pronounced in Britain. I could not think of any other examples than her name off the top of my head, but I know it wasn't a Brittish accent.

I ran after you all to try to get your opinion on the matter, but you had just started down the hill and didn't see me running like a mad person behind you.

Hope your trip back home is safe.

-- Foley
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #957
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
So....prove I'm right, and tell me that your accent is not a Brittish accent, but a Finnish one.
Easy as pie! Come over here with your friends, bring Agan ... and have the two of us talk. The difference will be clear.

So I will post here soon about my adventures, I'm just struggling to get my photos off my phone at the moment!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #958
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

I had the Finns at the same time that I had Kath, and it's clear to me that their accents are really different. Definitely not British. And then I found that Agan has a slightly different accent then Nog, Lommy and Greenie do, even though I believe she grew up in the same area as they did. And if you were to talk to Rune I find his accent sounds very British, though he is from Denmark. I guess it depends on how/when/from whom, they learned English. I just think they all sound really awesome.

edit: wow, x'posted with Kath, haha
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #959
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Not surprisingly the unsuitable parts were mostly all in the same hand-writing, but I won't point any fingers (and I'm sure you can figure it out anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
We're quite unanimous there was more than one family-unfriendly handwriting!
Oh, I meant my comment to be taken as plural, but without actually giving a number. But since it came up, there were primarily two offenders, with an occasional third thrown in.
Quote:
And then I found that Agan has a slightly different accent then Nog, Lommy and Greenie do, even though I believe she grew up in the same area as they did.
Ha ha, yes, that's one of the first things I said to the Finns after they arrived. "Um, Maria's accent is different from yours. Why is that?" They answered, "It's just a Maria thing".

And Folwren- you should know that one of the differences I heard in Agan's accent was a slightly Brit flavor that popped up here and there. Every once and a while it really stood out. On one occasion she said "Thank you" and I started laughing due to the fact that it sounded amazingly like Kath (we had just mentioned her in conversation). So while her accent certainly was not that of a Brit, I can perhaps understand where your friends got the idea from- if it was Agan they had in mind that is. The others never sounded anything other than Finnish to me.

Last edited by the phantom; 07-11-2010 at 03:18 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #960
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
And then I found that Agan has a slightly different accent then Nog, Lommy and Greenie do, even though I believe she grew up in the same area as they did.
Mr. Ibrin and I noticed the same thing, but then, we've known others for whom English is a second language who had rather British-like accents because of where or from whom they learned it, so it didn't really surprise us. We were quite delighted by the fact that all of the Finns speak English better than a number of supposedly well-educated Americans we know. As both of us have journalistic backgrounds, it just proved our belief, as Henry Higgins says, that "in America, they haven't used it for years."