The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Hmm...shouldn't we be adding Haldir and Celeborn to the list? And Haldir's company of androgynous Elves in film FotR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moddess
. . . can you imagine Peter Jackson, with his rather "hasty" personality, embracing that philosophy in today's society of instant gratification?! I think he did not have a fundamental understanding of the Elves and if you don't grasp something yourself, you can't make others understand it.
A late reply to you both. It was all the elves--including, to me, Galadriel--which suffered and not merely Legolas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
To elaborate more on this point, can you have an "ent like" personality/philosophy when filming a movie? No, you can't.

There is only so much money.

There is only so much time to film the story. Deadlines are dreadful things (or so I'm told, I haven't really experienced them yet).

And you have to catch the audiences attention. Some people were complaining that the theatrical release was "too long." The Entertainment business is about pleasing people so that they will dish out money and buy your product. You have to make a profit in the business...so you have to make your product appealing to everyone -- not just the nerds but the fan girls and the people who want a few hours entertainment, etc.

as I've said -- translating a book to a movie doesn't work. There are bookish elements and there are movie elements and the elves, I think, are decidedly bookish.
Hmm. Hmmm. Who is being hasty? This assumes that there is no "art" in movies, only depiction of already existing reality, no representation, just presentation.

David Lean could have depicted the elves or, for a more contemporary director, Zhang Yimou. I thinkEsty is bang on that Jackson's filmic style or philosophy doesn't incorporate qualities needed to imagine elves on the screen.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #42
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Folwren, I haven't heard a great deal of jokes about Legolas' hair or the way he walks. IMHO he gets maligned just as much as other characters whom people thought "lost something" in the book to movie transition. Perhaps you are overly sensitive to Legolas jokes?

I certainly don't dislike him because of his good looks. It's only fair that an elven prince should be a fangirl favourite. And if he does indeed walk like a ballerina, then good for him and PJ too! He's an elf, after all!

I believe the reason why people tend to pick on movie Legolas is because of his clipped dialogue, his Captain Obvious tendency, and his lack of range of facial expressions. I particularly hate the way he looks east rather than west as he "senses" the Uruk Hai approaching while the Fellowship is paddling their merry way down the Anduin. Just a petty little gripe, I know, and not Orlando's fault, but there you have it...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #43
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug*platypus
Folwren, I haven't heard a great deal of jokes about Legolas' hair or the way he walks. IMHO he gets maligned just as much as other characters whom people thought "lost something" in the book to movie transition. Perhaps you are overly sensitive to Legolas jokes?
I don't think it's because of me being over sensitive...I'm never been attached to Legolas in any particular way. I really have heard a lot of jokes about him. More than the other characters.

Quote:
I certainly don't dislike him because of his good looks. It's only fair that an elven prince should be a fangirl favourite. And if he does indeed walk like a ballerina, then good for him and PJ too! He's an elf, after all!
Haha! Very funny. *chuckle* But, no, really he doesn't walk like a ballerina, and he doesn't run like one, either. Have you ever seen a ballerina run? It's one of the most humorous spectacles in the world. My sister's nearly a professional dancer and she runs in a most commical way. I ask her to play hide-and-seek practically just to watch...

Quote:
I believe the reason why people tend to pick on movie Legolas is because of his clipped dialogue, his Captain Obvious tendency, and his lack of range of facial expressions.
No...not the jokes I've heard cracked about him. It's his good looks and his running...

Except for my sister, brother, and I. Yes, we did laugh about his clipped lines.

Quote:
I particularly hate the way he looks east rather than west as he "senses" the Uruk Hai approaching while the Fellowship is paddling their merry way down the Anduin. Just a petty little gripe, I know, and not Orlando's fault, but there you have it...
I don't recall. Why does that bother you? In the book does he look west instead of east?

-- Folwren
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #44
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the book, he doesn't have a Jedi-like ability to sense Uruks. In the book, it may have made some sense for him to look towards the eastern shore, as the "archers of Mordor" attack them from that side. But that (excellent) passage was not carried through to the movie.

Sad to say, yes it does bother me that he looks the wrong way, just because it was obvious to me that, travelling south, the western shore (from which Legolas sensed the Uruk Hai of Saruman were approaching) would have been on his right side rather than his left. Just one of those continuity issues that pedantic people pick up on, I suppose!