The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #1001
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Here comes the novel!

Yay for Agan posting the Paper Telephone, and yay for everybody participating! I'm not going to write an accurate description of what happened in each moot since I beileve we have had (or will have) enough of that anyway. No sense repeating, and I'm too lazy to do that in any case. To further avoid repeating stuff, I will say that all of the 'Downers we met were such sweet and friendly people and just incredibly easy to get along with. (So, sweethearts, don't think I don't like you because I don't say that separately about each of you - because I do.) Like Nog said, they really made for an essential part of our trip with their awesome company and their help with lodging, food, places to see and routes to take. I miss them all and wish I was richer so that I could travel more often – or else that they lived somewhere rather closer.

So. The first 'Downer we met was Brinn, with whom we stayed in Boston for a few days and who also joined us in the bigger 'Downer meeting in Geneva. She was a great guide and host, and it was lovely to meet her again (she had spent a weekend in Finland two years ago). She also joined us in New York at the very end of our trip. It was great to get to know her better, I love her smile, we had a good time and I'm looking forwards to some stuff we planned to do a) in the next Finlandmoot and b) once we get back to NYC and are legal there... Kath joined us for our last night in Boston. She is just as lovely as I remembered from last summer, and it was refreshing to listen to her cute British accent among all the Americans. She has a knack for being both cuddly and mean, which I like a lot.

The two of them came with us to Geneva (that moot, at least, has been suffiently covered already) to meet Mac, Rikae, Boro, Wilwa, Fea, Celuien, Mira and Nienna. Mac and Rikae were awesome hosts, as hospitable as you can get! Apart from that, Mac had a truly scary evil laugh though he was otherwise among the least scary people I've ever met (a teddy bear, as opposed to a scary bear), and Rikae was just adorable and I loved her sense of humour. And the Wereducking of course was about my favourite baby ever. Boro had amusing tan lines and I loved ruffling his hair (he suspected me because of that in ww, actually). Wilwa was adorable, I wished I'd been able to talk to her more because the once we really got to talk was very enjoyable. She really reminds me of a butterfly except that a butterfly isn't half as huggable. I'm rather sorry I didn't get a ride in Fea's famous car (another thing to return to the US for?), but the owner of the car at least was amazing and completely understood my over-the-top fascination with Watkins Glen. I didn't know Celuien from the 'Downs, but she turned out to be a truly delightful person who also baked the best (though the first, too) cobbler I've ever tasted. I only saw Nienna and Mira for one night which was a pity, because I really liked them both – yet another reason to return to the US I think. We also met Bethberry and her husband and son at Niagara, and she turned out to be a friendly, smiling and just generally good person like all the 'Downers I've had the privilege to meet - and also another I'd love to meet again with more time.

After a night spent at Boro's place (we accidentally stole his laptop cable which I felt really sorry about because he is so sweet) we continued to Milwaukee to meet Ibrin, Diamond, Oddwen and McCaber. Ibrin laughed a lot and smiled a lot and her artwork was truly great. Agan and I managed to make Diamond miss a turn on the highway by chatting too animatedly about werewolf, but it was lucky actually because I enjoyed getting more time to talk to her. Oddwen had made us beautiful necklaces and provided us with much amusement by randomly pushing Lommy's famous nose. McCaber (once we had managed to find the right one and not the random fake Joe) ate pistachios. Though I'm generally no fan of cars I have to say his car was waaaaaaay cooler than any I've had a chance to get a ride in.

After Milwaukee it was Sally, Shasta and phantom in Omaha and driving through Nebraska, South Dakota and a part of Wyoming with phantom and Shasta. Sally had a very cute way of sniggering and we spent a lovely morning with her and Agan and some truly disgusting music videos. Shasta (whom we met also later on in Oklahoma) climbed every high rock we saw, sang beautifully, had a lovely evil laugh (though very different from Mac's!) and ate little green grapes in a truly disgusting manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
It turns out she isn't nearly as boring or mean as I was expecting her to be.
It did turn out though that he was just as boring and mean as I had expected. He is responsible for not only the breaking of my finger (it still hurts!) but also the most enjoyable car rides I've ever had. And whatever it may do to his reputation, I will venture to add that he was nice and cuddly and secretly a gentleman.

We met morm and his family in Salt Lake City, first for an evening and then later on, when we returned from the west coast, we spent a night at his place. He and his wife were both really kind and polite and he had a very nice voice. Their girls were totally adorable, all of them.

In San Francisco we met Alona and Lari, though only briefly – we had brunch and visited the Museum of Modern Art. It was a pity we didn't have more time with them, for they were both really sweet and funny and smiling girls.

In Oklahoma City we met Roa and Craydon (Crayon!) for dinner. I swear I'll never be even slightly scared of a 'Downer again, because Roa wasn't scary at all but very kind and funny. They both were. And once again it would have been nice to see them for longer but we had to get on driving..

In Missouri we visited Folwren on her summer camp. It was really interesting, and she was as warm and kind and attentive a host as we could possibly have hoped for. And I think we might even have managed to convert some others of the camp staff to join the 'Downs!

We had dinner with Inziladun in Alabama, and had great fun eating fish and discussing werewolf, traffic jams, and whatever came to our minds. He surprised us by pronouncing our names perfectly before ever hearing us say them aloud and was just generally nice.

In Virginia we had some trouble with our operation Finding Mnemo. Once we did manage to find her (or she us), we spent a lovely day together. There is definitely something elvish about that girl! She's totally adorable. We talked long about horns and antennas and buried Boromir.

We had lunch in NYC with Rune and Brinn. It was lovely to see Rune again if only briefly, though he did manage to start being mean to us in his old way in such a short while! Apparently the very cheesy onion soup Agan and I were eating was horribly funny. We then spent a few days in New York with Brinn and Encaitare (boring Rune went to Boston). Brinn lived with us in the apartment we had, and Encai spent time with us during day-time. We strolled around, went to see a Broadway show, played a bit of Apples to Apples, visited some museums... Encai was another I didn't know from the 'Downs but who proved to be a totally lovely person. She looks like an elf, has an adorable laugh, and was just so easy to go around the City with.

Argh. I kind of meant to write shortly. But on the other hand it was twenty-eight awesome, unique, lovely darling 'Downers in a month's time. If any of you dearies ever consider having a vacation outside the US, you know where to go, eh? (A hint: Finland, Finland, Finland, the country where I quite want to be!)
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #1002
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A teaser: I might post a few photos tomorrow if I have time. Hehe.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #1003
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Such a large number of wights so close, and I managed to miss them! I live just a tad north of Boromir.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #1004
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wow, Greenie! That was absolutely fantastic to read!

But of course now everyone will get to Finland! There are such lovely people there!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #1005
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Wilwa, Rune wants to know why you're jealous of him for being with me, but not jealous of me for having Rune here.
Ahaha. Well I am jealous of both of you, but actually I was mostly jealous that Rune was with Ty (that is the right name for your depressed dog right?), who I adored and want to snuggle with. But I do love you both.

That was the best paper telephone ever! And didn't take nearly as long as the ones we do on here, haha .
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #1006
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

So, we met a bunch of awesome people. I'm trying to keep this short and just write general stuff about people. And I will ignore Brinniel, Kath and Rune as I've met them before (sorry darlings!). Although I may want to add that Kath proved more cuddly and violent than before (but I love her nevertheless, haha) and that when I met Rune again I realised a summer (my mum tells me to write "sømmäre" instead of "summer" since I'm talking about a Dane and she also adds that Danes are the funniest and most beautiful Scandinavians) is not a proper summer without Rune. (For those who don't know, I've met him in the summers of 2006, 2008, and 2009.) So, here we go...

Well, there were a few 'downers who I thought might be slightly intimidating (reagardless how much I like them). First ones I met in Geneva, and they were Rikae and Mac. No one who has played ww with Rikae or seen pictures of Mac can say they're totally unsacry before meeting them! However, they did prove very unscary and wonderful hosts, and I just like them so much. They are both very kind and considerate, and very amusing. I found them both easy to get along with and I'm happy I got to talk with them as much as I did. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it anywhere, but I had a plan of adopting Mac as my big brother and Rikae as my big sister-in-law and having met them, I will definitely pursue that plan. Plus, that means I get the most adorable nieces ever.

Fea was also somebody who could've been slightly intimidating - not scary, but sort of "I'm here I'm having a show" type, which kind of people sometimes just make me forget I'm present too. However, I now must apologise for this concern, because Fea turned out to be very empathetic and didn't have a show on at all. Also, she has a great talent for storytelling and it sure is not boring where Fea is! I liked her a lot and I wish I had had more time to talk with her.

Wilwa is another whom I talked with too little. She's incredibly sweet and so nice to everybody. I loved her down-to-earth calmness and it was quite refreshing to have someone who's not just making mean jokes about their friends or anything else all the time! (Not that I mind mean jokes, I make them all the time myself as some people *coughphantomandshastaandprobablyotherstoo* might have noticed.) Plus, I just loved it how happy she got when planning future 'downer meetings and she looks like a wolf. (In the positive sense! She just has these beautiful bluegrey wolf eyes.)

Continuing the list of people I'd like to have talked with more... Mira and Nienna. They were both very nice, and in different ways - Mira is the kind of straightforward and funny girl, Nienna is calm and empathetic. Sadly, the thigs I recall the best of them was Mira's obvious crush on Fea's brother and me sitting next to Nienna while playing Apples to Apples. It was also cute how they were clearly part of "Fea's gang" but they still took sisterishly car of her. Awws.

Celuien then, too. It was great to meet a person who has written a few of my favourite RPG characters ever. It turned out she was just as adorable as her Eorling Mead Hall characters - very kind and sweet and it was great to talk to her (although again didn't have enough chances of that). Plus, she had a very pretty dress and she used wonderful hippie bug spray which we all borrowed all the time.

Last one of the Geneva-mooters I haven't mentioned is Boro. Now I'm happy to say that I got to talk with him almost enough and that we actually ended up making some kind of siblingly adoption plan... Anyway, it was great to meet Boro because before the Kent-episode I had a certain kind of picture of him and after it a different one, and I was kind of lost what kind of person this guy who I considered my friend was. Turned out he was actually the mixture of the old Boro and the new Boro I had in my head and it made me really happy, because I could finally clearly see who he was and also because I liked this real person a lot, even more than the two persons I had had in my mind before. (Ok, I'm aware this is getting rather in-depth. Won't continue ranting here anymore!) Anyway, to go on my adjective spree, Boro is both calm and funny, and smart and kind. I like him (although I guess I said that already!)

With the Geneva-mooters, we went to the Niagara Falls where we met Bethberry and her family. Bethberry was really warm and witty, although more quiet than I expected her to be. Anyway, she was great company, had a nice family and gorgeous hair. (What else could a woman ask for?)

Our next stop was in Wisconsin. Ibrin was our hostess and she did very well in that, providing us with anything we might have needed and being great fun around. Like Fea, she is a gifted storyteller and she sure had interesting stories to tell! She was also very cheerful and warm (not like the overtly dignified and sorrowful lady I thought her to be, mostly based on her avatar and I have to say I prefer her the way she actually was!)

Other people we met were Oddwen, Diamond and McCaber. Oddwen was very sweet, she gave us beautiful self-made jewellry and pushed my nose. She was quieter than I expected her to be, but very funny when she said something funny. (Getting Captain Obvious-y, eh?) Anyway, I liked her a lot. Diamond was very nice too, and I just loved it when she and Greenie were geekying together (sitting on the sofa next to each other, talking leisurely and both checking their Facebook). She's also one of the people I'd like to meet again just because I didn't have enough time with her! McCaber then, he's very amusing and sympathetic although he speaks too fast (and laughs every time he finishes a sentence, which was just great). He also has the coolest car ever!

Next moot was in Omaha. We met the phantom, and a day after that Shasta and Sally. Phantom and Shasta also accompanied us for a bit of our roadtrip. Sally was cuddly and liked attacking people's kidneys. She was also just as amusing and sweet as on the 'downs, and she also proved very generous (she bought us Apples to Apples, yay!) She's also very wicked when playing word games!

Shasta is somebody you just can't help liking. He's very open and lively, and probably the most entertaining person we met. He seems to have two obsessions: singing Disney songs and climbing high rocks, but both obsessions provided entertainment. Also, he's very cuddly, funny and a gentleman despite his wicked sense of humour and his evil laugh. I'm very glad we got lots of time with him and we actually managed to see him twice!

Phantom then... I'm afraid I have to ruin his reputation. He's definitely not scary, he's very kind and caring and a good host. And as you have probably noticed on the forums, he's smart and a control freak. He's very good company probably partly because he seems to put effort to people having good time with him, which is kind of cute. And he tried desperately cling to his remains of reputation by being mean to me but it didn't quite succeed.

The next person we met was Morm. He was again somebody I could've been scared of, but no - despite his rather intimidating height, he's the opposite of scary. He has a nice, soft voice, very gentle demeanour and he's very friendly and easy to get along with. Talking with him was very nice, and his wife was great company too, and their kids were just lovely. Liked the whole family very much, and they were also as kind as to put us up, which was great.

While Agan was in Washington meeting THE Ka, Laurinquë and TGEW, we others spent time in San Fransisco. On our last day, we met Alona and Lariren. I didn't know Alona very well from the 'downs, but she proved to be awesome. She was very easy to get along with - again one of those people you just can't not like - , seemed genuinely interested in everyone around her and has good taste (she took us to SF museum of modern art. <3) Lari seemed a bit more reserved, but she was really funny and sympathetic, and seemed very calm and sensible too. I'd love to meet both of them again!

Then there was a pause of meeting 'downers, until we met Roa and Craydon for dinner. Again, one more scariness myth busted. Roa was very kind and calm, and gave a considerate and smart impression. (So not the kind of "hahaa! I'm right and I'm the boss, you listen to me"she sometimes has in ww.) I didn't know Craydon very well from the 'downs, but he was very nice too (and had interesting stories to tell) so I say he'd better play ww again! And I could definitely have spent more than just a few hours with these two.

Next 'downer we met was Folwren. Now I was really excited about meeting her because I have known her for a long time, I've had some good discussions her and I love RPGing with her but we are very different, partly it's our personalities and partly our worldviews. However, there was no need to worry about anything 'cos we got along great. We had some very enlightening discussions, got to do lots of fun stuff (for example petting goats and archery) and met her friends who were very nice too (please say hi to them for me, Foley!) Folwren herself was very friendly, thoughtful and welcoming and we had great time with her.

One could think that meeting a police investigator from Alabama could be slightly scary, but again, Inziladun wasn't scary at all (well truth be told he's not scary on the 'downs either, at all). He made a lasting impression when he immediately recognised who is who (ok, telling Nogrod from us three girls wasn't probably difficult, but it was quite good he was able to tell which of us was which given that he's not on Facebook) and pronounced our names correctly on the first try. Also, he was very fun to have around and easy to get along with, and I liked him a lot (especially after hearing that he uses his work hours for ww!)

Mnemo was the one we met after Zil. After having some minor troubles with getting in contact with her, everything went fine. She took us to a nearby park to climb trees and arrange a funeral for Boromir. We talked a lot and Mnemo was certainly one whom it was great to talk with. We talked more about LotR than we had with other 'downers before and it was lots of fun to be geeky. Mnemo was very smart and funny, and somehow refreshingly un-American. (Can't really describe it better than that!) I got along with her great and I do hope she comes to Finland some day (and drags Sally with her of course).

Last but not least is Encai, whom we met in New York. I can't get over how sweet she is - very compassionate and kind yet she has a slightly wicked sense of humour and a slightly wicked laugh. Again one of the persons you simply can't not like. She definitely needs to post on the 'downs more, because she is lovely.

All in all, we had amazing time and met 28 amazing people all of whom I want to see again. You know, Finland always welcomes you (and also you who we haven't met yet because you know we're dying to meet you too)!

The bad thing is, I've already started missing people and I'm terrible at keeping in touch with anyone... so please, keep poking me on 'downs, FB, LJ, MSN, skype, anything... but not for the next three weeks or so 'cos I won't be around.

*sends a great hug to everybody she met during the trip*

PS. Pictures to follow...
PPS. Didn't read Greenie's post before writing this so sorry if I'm repeating stuff...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #1007
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Meeting photos...

Ok, so we got group photos of all 'downer meetings except of re-meeting Shasta and of meeting Rune (which we do every summer anyway). Here we go...

At Niagara with the Genevamoot gang...

Left to right: back: Rikae, Fea, Wilwa, Kath, Boro, Lommy, Nogrod, Greenie, Bethberry, Brinn, Beth's son whose 'downer nick I can't recall sadly, front: Agan, Wereduckling and Mac.

At Ibrin's backyard...

Left to right: Diamond, McCaber, Agan, Nogrod, Greenie, Ibrin, Oddwen & Lommy.

At a random parking lot...

Left to right: phantom, Greenie, Agan, Nog, Sally and Lommy. Front: Shasta.

to be continued...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #1008
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh my goodness you all look so cute in that last photo! And it's lovely to see the big Genevamoot group shot.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #1009
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks Kath! Continuing...

On Weathertop in Salt Lake City...

Left to right: Agan, Lommy, Nog, Greenie and Morm.

On a famous square whose name I forgot in San Fransisco...

Left to right: Alona, Lari, Greenie, Lommy and Nogrod.

In a park in Oklahoma City...

Left to right: Agan, Nog, Greenie, Lommy, Roa and Craydon

To be continued still...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #1010
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

On a Christian children's summer camp...

Left to right: Nogrod, Greenie, Folwren, Lommy and Agan.

In front of a restaurant...

Left to right: Lommy, Greenie, Nog, Zil and Agan.

Again in a random parking lot (this time in North Carolina)...

Left to right: Lommy, Greenie, Agan, Mnemo and Nog.

One more...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #1011
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

In the central park in NY...

Left to right: Brinn, Agan, Encai, Lommy, Greenie and Nog.

And that's it!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1012
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Does anybody want to guess what are my two favourite sets of clothes (out of those I had with me)?

Anyway since Lommy has been posting all the meeting photos I should probably go ahead and share a picture of my meeting with The Ka, TGEW and Laurinquë in Washington.

Left to right: Agan, Lauri, Ka, our common crush, TGEW.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #1013
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It seems people tend to make descriptions on people they have met, so I thought of doing one myself as I’m pretty sure the girls will keep you updated with the events of our trip to the US. The people will appear in a loose order of meeting them… (heh, Lommy seems to have beaten me with the same idea… but who cares…)

Brinniel – I really loved her open and shiny personality when she visited us in Finland and without her caring devotion we would have missed a lot of things both in Boston and New York. And even if we had some disagreements in the end, we parted in love (realizing one is going to miss someone for good changes the mood in an instant) and I’m looking forwards to meeting you again. We love you Brinn! You’re special.

Kath – Oh my how I love her – and her delightful British accent (the girls kept using “Reelly-reelly” -phrase for a week after departing from her). You make my day, anyday! Open, fun, hilarious and easy to hang around with. A super-Brit.

Rikae – She doesn’t bring herself to the fore like many Americans do (in contrast to most Europeans) but she is just as loveable and ironic in real-life as in werewolf. Even if she is a bit bossy over Mac I do think they’re a perfect match. I would have loved to have a chance to talk with her more but there were a dozen of people around all the time and so little of the time… (this actually applies to more or less everyone we met in Geneva!)

Macalaure – If there ever was a decent human being, then Mac is one. I reelly-reelly love him: responsible, caring… and fun in his own way. It’s hard to make a difference between the two adjectives, but if Rikae is irony, then Mac is sarcasm… read it as you like.

Boro – A charming guy and a good man. I really appreciated his company and hospitality – and his college-lodging reminded me so much of the times I was in the Uni myself… And really, if this guy is single… with the wits and a general hang of things, what’s wrong with you girls?

Fea – An alpha-female with stress on all the good the term implies: self-confident, funny, friendly, flirty; you name it. Most easy to come by with and always a good company. And hey Fea, I learned driving the auto-gear car in the end! It’s just that one needs to break the habit of trying to pedal the clutch (which is brake in an autogear).

Wilwarin – Of all the people she reminded me of my High School mates (why is that, don’t ask me as I don’t know). A fun and hippie enough personality to my liking. There’s something innocent, cool and impulsive about her I really like. And I do love her smile.

Mirandir – She was one of the loudest people around but still one of those I had the least contact with. She felt very much at home at the company but I never had a chance to know her better. Good laughs, though.

Celuien – One of the most silent Americans I’ve ever met (which is not saying a lot). Also one of the persons I really feel bad not having a chance to talk more with – we have a history of writing the Mead Hall with our characters as close friends and their children as best mates, it would have been so much fun to discuss that, and everything. But maybe the next time?

Nienna - Another quiet person. She reminds me of Lommy’s & Greenie’s mother to an extent it feels creepy. And what goes to Celuien applies to her as well. It would have been great to get to know her better. But I got the feeling that she and Form is a good match indeed…

Bethberry – We met at the Niagara Falls and the first thing that comes to my mind is her concern if I thought Canada was overall like the Canadian side of the Falls (a town turned into an amusement park)… Don’t you worry, I have other sources of information and like Rikae said “who is the place for but the Americans…”. One more person I’d really have liked to know better. Maybe we’ll have the next round-trip in Canada?

Ibrin – The former moderator of the onering.com turned into one of the ‘Downers was just an amazing personality – and most hearty & hospitable. A tornado wrecking the area was no excuse for disallowing visitors. And despite her husband managing to buy a huge HD -tv, she seemed to be in charge of the house – and full of life lived & stories about it. An artist, a composer… a really interesting personality. You miss a lot if you don’t meet her!

Diamond 18 – Heh, the new hairstyle is soo cool and she’s cool anyway. Sadly the Mythbusters took so much of our time together… I was somewhat unhappy the little time we were allowed together. (Same goes to Oddwen) I think we could have made good friends.

Oddwen – A girl every young guy should be wild about! A bit shy but so lovely! I wouldn’t use the term “geek” but some might. Whatever, aren’t we all more or less geeks? Ibrin’s actually the worst what comes to being a nerd… she had her new iPad with her all the time, and all the gadgets they had! (actually they found a US compatible cord to our laptop and so we have nothing but praise for their kindness!)

McCaber – He spoke so fast… and smiled and laughed – and had the coolest convertible (although a Japanese one). I can still hear the ring of his laughter in my ears. And happily he was not the Joe – Jablonsky or whatever – we came up with in the first WalMart…

the phantom – He was so much alike his ‘Downs persona – and so far from it at the same time. Call it a contradiction if you wish. He was really one of the nicest persons I met on the whole tour. Honestly. You may dislike his BD personality (especially the werewolfers) but he is such a great and caring person in real life it just disarms everyone (with the exception of Lommy perhaps?). You’re cool, dude! I really appreciated your company and would love to meet you agin!

Shasta – I mainly knew him through werewolf and we had been more or less annoyed by each other’s playing styles, so it was great to meet him in person which kind of made me totally change my appreciation of him. He’s such fun and in-the-middle-of-things personality! I really wish him all the best in his career as an actor (you have what it takes!) – and heh, we saw “Next to Normal” before you!

Sally – One should have anticipated a person with an overriding sense of humor and caring but what Sally was just quadrupled the expectations! And she woke up early one day to go to the Wal-Mart to buy us a copy of Apples to Apples! (we bought an expansion-pack from NY) Need one say more? Love you Sally!

Mormegil – The girls were downright frightened to meet him but he was a most relaxed guy and a terrific father of a bunch of adorable kids – and we remember his wife with warmth. You all were just so hospitable to us and we really appreciated it! We were even a bit confused about all your apologetics… the time with you guys was great and we have nothing to complain, not even the quietness of the SLC downtown or the size of your house…

Alonariel – If I was twenty years younger and thus twenty kilograms (more or less forty pounds, like I was) less than I am, I would really had a crush on her and would have done all to get her as my girlfriend! Happily / unhappily those conditions do not apply and I will just say she was a really pleasant person I felt very easy to get on with… They sing about leaving your heart to San Francisco… it kind of makes sense, with the city itself as well.

Lariren Shadow – Nice, cool and fun to meet with. In some odd (sic!) way she reminded me of Oddwen. One of the persons I feel more time would really have made a difference!

Roa Aoife - Another one I think most ‘Downers are afraid of turned out to be a really sweet personality and just relaxed company. A dinner-meeting was fine and dandy: good food and nice company. In real-life she was in no way intimidating or scary but the opposite of it, even a bit hesitating and soo lovely because of that. God, I’d have wanted to share more time with her…

Craydon - He has played one werewolf-game so we’d have to count him as a ‘Downer as well. The first (and thus far the last) Iraq-veteran we have met – and so unlike the stories about depression and life-long syndroma’s the military personnel have according to the media. Even with a short meeting and really slight foreknowledge I really liked him. A good man he is.

Folwren – Our favourite RPG’er was a way nicer we could have believed (even if the expectations were high)! Despite the differences in metaphysical / religious issues we had a great afternoon with her at the summercamp and really enjoyed our visit there. And it was a great fun to meet the others at the camp as well. Love you, Foley! Really.

Inziladún – Thinking about meeting a cop from Alabama sent shivers to our spine but Inzil turned out to be an easy-going person we enjoyed the company of greatly. It was a short meeting but the food was excellent (fresh from the sea) and it was so good to meet him. Hopefully we have more time the next time. He’s not from the CSI, but he could be…

Mnemosyne – After all the logistical problems we had a nice afternoon with Mnemo – and it was good fun indeed: hanging out at Duke University student’s favourite café, climbing a Magnolia, playing Apples to Apples… (and she won it easily!!!) A nice day out in a good company. She’s just an adorable person not trying to make a number of herself but still being on to it all the time. Just plain lovely.

Rune – Our paths met once again – with the aid and despite the curse of lady Fortuna… He’s as fun and lovable as ever. After meeting with him a few times I like him more and more – even if we never talk politics all others seem to think we would do… Maybe we’ll change that as we meet the next time?

Encaitare – What a wonderful person! All positive, easy and adaptive… It’s just super-cool someone has that positive attitude and openness shared with an interest to know people – and to see what is in their interest. I really love her and praise her tact. Really. Thanks Encai for your company in NY!

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-23-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #1014
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Well, Agan. That's a very lovely picture, but I think that we need to have another one that goes with it...

We are not fangirls. Sort of.

And I liked this picture of our meet-up too:

From left to right: THE Ka, Aganzir, TGEW, and Lauri.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #1015
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Is there a gene of "Alaskan awesomeness"?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #1016
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Is there a gene of "Alaskan awesomeness"?
Why, yes. Yes there is.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #1017
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm so very very very times a million sorry that I could not meet you guys. Both sorry that I could not be a bit of a pseudo-hostess in DC and just plain sad that I missed you (of no fault but my own). I am glad you had a good trip and got a good taste of the States as well as meeting a lot of awesome people! I'm sorry you didn't have anyone to greet you in DC

Nog, Nog...there are plenty of quiet Americans, just as there are plenty loud ones! And my very limited as they are ventures to touristy places in the UK and Greece have shown me that many, many different nationalities can be quite loud and obnoxious (and no, not just the tourists!)... Finland must just be extra quiet. Makes me want to visit more.

Once again, sorry I missed you.

P.S. - Nogrod! Go to bed! You're back in Finn time!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #1018
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Why, yes. Yes there is.
Looking at the pics it looks like there really is one...

Dury: Don't feel bad about missing us... we had a tremendous time and meeting you would have just being extra-fun. It was sad it never happened, but no can do...

And I do know there are different people inside different nations, it's just the stereotypes one keeps toying about - even if one knows they're just stereotypes...

We need to meet the next time we're in the US., or you're in Europe!

Quote:
P.S. - Nogrod! Go to bed! You're back in Finn time!
It's called the jet-lag... hard to adapt into another time-zone... well slowly and slowly...
Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #1019
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Can I just say we are one darned attractive group of people?

Our brains and personalities don't matter; we're gorgeous!

I wonder if I should admit that I was nervous to meet Nog?

Aganzir, I was extremely excited to meet. I've got a bit of a girl-crush on her, really, and her pure mischievous wickedness delights me. Lommy is such a sweetheart that I was stoked to meet her too, and all of my [albeit limited] interactions with Greenie pointed me toward excitement about her too. I knew I'd like them, though I wasn't sure they'd like me as much. And I really wanted them to like me.

But I was outright worried that Nog wouldn't like me at all!

More specifically, I was worried that our personalities would clash instead of mesh, and that it would be like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.

But I made a point of getting some alone time with him as soon as I could, so that I wouldn't chicken out and end up too shy to talk with him later. When he asked about how to get to a grocery store, I offered to navigate since I know Geneva fairly well by now. Within a couple blocks, we were talking effortlessly, teasing each other.

"Beer and bacon? What an American purchase!"

"That's the brake, dear, not the clutch. Are you trying to give us whiplash?"

I began to giggle pretty uncontrollably during our first game of werewolf when without really realizing or planning it, he started arguing about the importance of Day One and I said in passing that they didn't matter. We just sort of looked at each other and grinned.

I thought it funny that Nog, who I was most nervous about meeting, was the one I talked to most! He's an absolute sweetheart, generous and easy-going, witty and intelligent. So easy to get along with. I'm glad to have had my worries banished.

Rune informs me that there's now a competition to see if I'll go to Denmark or Finland first? Let the bribes commence.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #1020
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
But I made a point of getting some alone time with him as soon as I could, so that I wouldn't chicken out and end up too shy to talk with him later. When he asked about how to get to a grocery store, I offered to navigate since I know Geneva fairly well by now. Within a couple blocks, we were talking effortlessly, teasing each other.

"Beer and bacon? What an American purchase!"

"That's the brake, dear, not the clutch. Are you trying to give us whiplash?"
That was great fun indeed! (Hey, I learned off from the manual gears in a day or two) And the fact that we purchased the stuff with your ID.! I'm forty+ but we got the beer with your papers... And I must say I did appreciate the easy-going company of yours.

I don't think I was afraid of meeting you but it was one of the interesting moments - just getting into a car with a shopping-trip with you as soon as we arrived... It was a good choice in the end. It seems we both got the precautions out of the way with the humour in our trip and after that it was really easy and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You can...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I was outright worried that Nog wouldn't like me at all!
And don't you worry, I liked you a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Rune informs me that there's now a competition to see if I'll go to Denmark or Finland first? Let the bribes commence.
Do not let Rune's "information" cloud your view - like the "fair and balanced" Fox News which are the most imbalanced I know of - so of course it is Finland! We can offer you both the city-feeling (in Helsinki) and bring you to our summer-cottage (in the middle of nowhere with a lake and a sauna).

No way a Dane could top that offer!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #1021
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Sadly, the thigs I recall the best of them was Mira's obvious crush on Fea's brother and me sitting next to Nienna while playing Apples to Apples. It was also cute how they were clearly part of "Fea's gang" but they still took sisterishly car of her. Awws.
I don't know WHAT you people are talking about. Fea's brother is a moody oaf (not to mention unattractive), where Fea is an awful human being who dominates everyone around her and makes them feel insignificant within seconds of meeting. *cough* I mean...love you, big sis!

Methinks Rune needs to get his butt back on here so he can back me up on that and thrill you all with tales that just get more entertaining the more people you hear them from.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #1022
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I began to giggle pretty uncontrollably during our first game of werewolf when without really realizing or planning it, he started arguing about the importance of Day One and I said in passing that they didn't matter. We just sort of looked at each other and grinned.
Funny you should mention it... that was the most hilarious part of the game that was set for us losing it. I really had fun exchanging those looks - we were so good but sadly it didn't help... But losing can be fun also.

On the next one people should have gathered from our changed attitude that we were not guilty, but who can blame them for not lynching Erika & Chris (and Lommy)?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #1023
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nog, go to bed!

<3
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #1024
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Nog, go to bed!

<3
Trying to...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #1025
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Funny you should mention it... that was the most hilarious part of the game that was set for us losing it.
I was trying so hard to figure out who our third [non-existent] wolf was! Wait, was Boro's comment a hint? Hold on, Agan said she's as much a wolf as me... does that mean she knows I'm a wolf and that I didn't see her, and she's telling me? Hang on, Rikae too is saying things that might be clues! WHO IS OUR THIRD WOLF!?!?!?!?!?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #1026
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I was trying so hard to figure out who our third [non-existent] wolf was! Wait, was Boro's comment a hint? Hold on, Agan said she's as much a wolf as me... does that mean she knows I'm a wolf and that I didn't see her, and she's telling me? Hang on, Rikae too is saying things that might be clues! WHO IS OUR THIRD WOLF!?!?!?!?!?
That was a dilemma... (trilemma?) It was pretty hard to make a plan without the knowledge, but I was actually thinking the game just missed the third wolf as there was none to be seen at night... That's why I went the bold way the second night, like we had no problems. Sadly they were ready to outwit us there...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #1027
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I'll reply in detail more fully... (I think?), but for now I just have to say:

Quote:
Boro – A charming guy and a good man. I really appreciated his company and hospitality – and his college-lodging reminded me so much of the times I was in the Uni myself… And really, if this guy is single… with the wits and a general hang of things, what’s wrong with you girls?
He's in Ohio and we're not. :P
Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #1028
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
He's in Ohio and we're not. :P
Well, go for it! It's not that far!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #1029
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
It's called the jet-lag... hard to adapt into another time-zone... well slowly and slowly...
If it's of any comfort, my brain refuses to admit I'm back in Finland and so very far away from all the fabulous people I met, and insists on staying up late. Oh wait what do you mean it isn't 11pm?

Quote:
Aganzir, I was extremely excited to meet. I've got a bit of a girl-crush on her, really, and her pure mischievous wickedness delights me.
I was excited to meet you too. As I told you, I was kind of semi-scared of you before meeting you because I could never figure out what you thought of me. And yay thanks for the compliments! Oh and did I forget to mention you were one of the fellow wolves I was talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You'll get lots of lovely people in Finland while all Denmark can offer you is one Rune!

Hahaha Nog are you comparing Rune to Fox News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
does that mean she knows I'm a wolf and that I didn't see her, and she's telling me?
Hey I wouldn't be that mean! If it had been me I would've been waving at you and trying to get your attention!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Well, go for it! It's not that far!
Hey matchmaker stop drinking and go to bed!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #1030
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Hahaha Nog are you comparing Rune to Fox News?
The belivability of Denmark over Finland is about the same level as the believability of the Fox News over BBC - or any real news-network. Rune is not involved, just the "fair and balanced" facts.

Quote:
Hey matchmaker stop drinking and go to bed!
Tehee, I'd love to score a new one!

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-23-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #1031
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Yay for Agan posting the Paper Telephone, and yay for everybody participating!
I'm just happy that I was able to produce something remotely interesting on such short notice. All those eyes upon me. Pressure!

Quote:
If any of you dearies ever consider having a vacation outside the US, you know where to go, eh? (A hint: Finland, Finland, Finland, the country where I quite want to be!)
When I get my European tour on the rails in the future Finland is certainly one of my preferred destinations.

Quote:
One could think that meeting a police investigator from Alabama could be slightly scary, but again, Inziladun wasn't scary at all (well truth be told he's not scary on the 'downs either, at all).
Scary? Me? I'm just eccentric, that's all.

Quote:
He made a lasting impression when he immediately recognised who is who (ok, telling Nogrod from us three girls wasn't probably difficult, but it was quite good he was able to tell which of us was which given that he's not on Facebook) and pronounced our names correctly on the first try. Also, he was very fun to have around and easy to get along with, and I liked him a lot (especially after hearing that he uses his work hours for ww!)
I have to confess that I had a good idea who was who from looking at the BD Photo Page previously.

And as for the last bit....shhh!!!

Quote:
Inziladún – Thinking about meeting a cop from Alabama sent shivers to our spine but Inzil turned out to be an easy-going person we enjoyed the company of greatly. It was a short meeting but the food was excellent (fresh from the sea) and it was so good to meet him. Hopefully we have more time the next time. He’s not from the CSI, but he could be…
You all really were a pleasure to meet and spend time with. There don't seem to be any active Downers in my neck of the woods. Suffice it to say that I can't imagine a first-time meeting with members of this exceptional forum to have possibly been more delightful. Thanks for coming round!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #1032
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
The belivability of Denmark over Finland is about the same level as the believability of the Fox News over BBC ...
Excellent! So she'll be coming to England first?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #1033
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
On a famous square whose name I forgot in San Fransisco...
Psst... it's Union Square!

Looking at the group photos, I figured that there is a striking similarity between Inzil and Agan if you ignore the difference in skin colour. Is there a family secret I haven't been told?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Excellent! So she'll be coming to England first?
Wishful thinking, love. I have a way better solution in mind: she comes to Finland, and you and Rune can come too! Problem solved. I'm a genius.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #1034
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Looking at the group photos, I figured that there is a striking similarity between Inzil and Agan if you ignore the difference in skin colour. Is there a family secret I haven't been told?
I know on my father's side my European ancestors were English and Swiss. I know very little about my mother's forebears though. For all I know there might be Finnish blood there somewhere.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #1035
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
OK, you travel-happy Finns - who's coming to Oxonmoot in September? Since I missed you in the States, I'd love to meet you there! After all, it's THE original Moot!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #1036
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Psst... it's Union Square!

Haha, I had the same thought!

I also seem to have a long-lost Canadian brother - which makes one of my Barrowdowns heroes... my mom?

Nog, I like your very observant commentary about everyone - I remember thinking when you were here that you had a bit of the air of a professor grading a presentation. I wish we had more opportunity to talk with you, though you seem to have given me a passing grade anyway!

Agan, Lommy and Greenie are three of the most lovely people I've met ... they have a wonderful blend of sweetness and naughtiness. Agan, who I always found a bit intimidating on the 'downs, I felt as though I could especially relate to; Lommy was very sweet and open (though she found everything disGUSting ), and Greenie reminded me of a wood nymph or some such mythological creature, communing with nature (I wish I had a photo of her in Watkins Glen - she looked as if she belonged there.)

Though the Finns stayed with us for a good while, I didn't get nearly as much time with them as I would have liked. Luckily, I'll be dragged to Germany some time in the next couple years, so I'm sure we can make it to Finland and see them again.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #1037
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea

Our brains and personalities don't matter; we're gorgeous!
I have to agree! Love all the photos, we really are just a devastatingly attractive bunch. The picture from Niagara falls is great!

You Finn-folk are just too sweet. Thank you for all your kind words.

So, now for my account of things... my one-to-one encounters with Lommy, Nog, Greenie & Agan were fairly limited before this. I think I played WW with a couple of them, and Lommy and I have been LiveJournal friends for some time, but there was never much direct interaction. I felt like I was coming in cold, but I have always had such positive experiences meeting BDers that I wasn't worried at all. Plus, Brinn was with them, and we've already met a few times, so I almost saw her as a little bridge to help us get to know each other.

Fortunately, we didn't need much help at all! Everyone struck me as warm, funny, and clever. On the first day, we did a lot of walking around various parts of the city. We hit the Museum of Modern Art, which I think everyone enjoyed a lot, and also made it all the way down to Wall Street and the South Street Seaport, neither of which I had been to before. We played Apples to Apples that night at the apartment, and I had a nice chat with the girls while Brinn and Nog went on a food/drink run. I really enjoyed just getting to hang out and talk, I wish we'd had a little more down time like that! Definitely next time, yes?

The second day, we took a nice walk around Central Park. Brinn was a great guide since she had worked there last summer, so she knew the nice places to go. It's such a beautiful park but I rarely spend any time there; it was great to enjoy the day and hear lots of musicians performing around the grounds. That evening we went for an Italian dinner -- when we were considering the restaurant, a man came out and sang the praises of its wine and olive oil, and I guess he thought my lack of response beyond a smile and nod meant I was foreign, and he asked me "Parlez-vous Francais?" I do not speak a word of French, and I don't know why he thought I might! Then he told me just how good the wine was, and said "I would use stronger language, but we're in front of your children." WHAT? This man was obviously crazy, haha. After the dinner we saw the Broadway show "Next to Normal," which I went in knowing nothing about but enjoyed very much.

It was a fun two days with some lovely people whom it was a pleasure to see again or get to know!

Also, I think there's something in the water in Finland that makes beautiful ladies! I'm surprised the tourism rate isn't higher.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #1038
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I was finally going to post my impressions on people I met during the second part of our trip, but then I was assaulted by a couple of Downers on various IMing programs and now it's quite late so it will have to wait. For a few weeks.
However I did add some photos into my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Agan, who I always found a bit intimidating on the 'downs, I felt as though I could especially relate to
That's exactly what I could say about you! :>
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #1039
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
I don't know WHAT you people are talking about. Fea's brother is a moody oaf (not to mention unattractive), where Fea is an awful human being who dominates everyone around her and makes them feel insignificant within seconds of meeting. *cough* I mean...love you, big sis!

Methinks Rune needs to get his butt back on here so he can back me up on that and thrill you all with tales that just get more entertaining the more people you hear them from.
As you post on her bro's name while professing this hatred.

And I see Nog's trying to take Form's job as my new match-maker. Form tends to go with the theoritical route of matching personalities. Nog just throws my single-status right out there to the entire forum and challenges the ladies to jump on it. Oh the love of bachelorhood.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #1040
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
And I see Nog's trying to take Form's job as my new match-maker. Form tends to go with the theoritical route of matching personalities. Nog just throws my single-status right out there to the entire forum and challenges the ladies to jump on it. Oh the love of bachelorhood.
It was thought of in all love and brotherhood... and in all fun. And in all seriousness.

I mean the good ladies in this world miss a lot letting you go free.

No pressure for you, but to the more beautiful sex here...