The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting Favorite battle scenes

I tried to do a search, because I thought <I>surely</I> someone has done this before, but the thing keeps timing out. Anyway, RotK has released now.<P>What is your favorite battle scene of all three films? We have the Prologue, Gandalf vs. Saruman, Amon Sul, Moria, Gandalf vs. Balrog (this counts the Bridge, the plunge, and Zirak-Zigil), Amon Hen, the wolves of Isengard, Helm's Deep, and...I guess the Pelennor has to count as just one. And since it is so awesome, we should probably all just say Pelennor is our favorite, but what is the <I>second</I>-favorite?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

my fav is helm's deep becasue of the way they start it.<P>all those orcs beating the ground with spears pwns j00!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite is Helm's Deep, because of the charge of the Rohirrim as the grand finale.<P>My second favourite is the siege of Minas Tirith (separate from Pelennor).<P>I didn't like Pelennor that much, although the lining up of the Rohirrim when they first arrive is pretty spectacular.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I liked the Prologue the best because I love what the Elves do with the swords. It is awesome how they each attack the same way with the ripple effect all the way down the line. I can watch that over and over and still be in awe. I also think it is cool how the elves shoot around Elrond but so close to his head that the wind from the arrows moves his hair. My second favorite battle was when Saruon's tower fell. Spectacular!

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I guess I should mention my favorite. <P>I can't hardly decide, they're all so awesome! I think Amon Hen remains my favorite scene, because of so much one-on-one detailed combat, and the heroics of Boromir. Peter Jackson talked about how he shot a lot more at Amon Hen, but didn't want to put it all in because people get tired of battle scenes quickly. I was thinking "<I>WHAT?!</I> Gee I'd love to see the missing footage. Maybe in the trilogy edition?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 01-18-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Seeing as I am in love with the Rohirrim, i must say Helm's Deep, and the charge of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor.<BR>The minor battles in Osgiliath in TTT and RotK where Faramir leads the men are pretty cool. Especially as they ride back to try and win it back, but only Faramir returns.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FIRST: Helm's Deep. it was just good.<P>SECOND: when the Rohirrim charge at Pelennor (none of the rest; it underwhelmed me)<P>THIRD: Amon Hen/Gandalf vs. Balrog.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting

My first would have to be Helm's Deep, my favorite part IN the battle would have to be when Legolas slid down the stairs on the uruk shield. <P>Second would have to be pelennor at the beginning when they launch all their catapults and one is falling towards the main orc (gothmog?) and he just steps aside and it misses him lol

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

<B>1st Favorite:</B> Battle of Pelennor Fields<P><B>2nd Favorite:</B> Battle at the Black Gate<P><B>3rd Favorite:</B> Battle of Helm's Deep
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #10
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

#1: Pelennor Feilds<BR>#2: Helms Deep<BR>#3: prologue
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1st: Pelennor Fields - Because I loved every moment of that battle, it had so much energy, and was a joy to watch.<BR>2nd: Prologue - Yes, the way the Elven soldiers swung their swords was the highlight.<BR>3rd: Amon Hen - When Aragorn holds his sword in front of his face and walks towards the orcs... that was so great
Old 01-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #12
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My first would have to be Helm's Deep, my favorite part IN the battle would have to be when Legolas slid down the stairs on the uruk shield.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This was so cool, I just had to share it. A week or two ago, I was invited to go sledding at some friends' house. Inspired by that stunt, I took a rather stiff sled, slid it down the hill, then jumped on it, surfing all the way down the hill -- complete with arrow-firing motions! My brother obliged as an Uruk to be slain. Try it at home! Especially if there's a wall at the bottom of your hill!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:03 AM   #13
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Sting

you did that to? I tried it the first time, I jumped right on it and the next thing I know I'm lying in a hospital bed a week later. From what my friends told me I did it almost flawlessly, except at the end when I hit my neighbors car

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Old 01-19-2004, 03:38 PM   #14
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. Pelennor<BR>2. Helm's Deep<BR>3. Black Gate(Suprised no one mentioned this)<BR>4. Amon Hen<BR>5. Prologue<P>Balin's tomb would have made it,if they would have had the orc cheiftan instead of the troll.
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #15
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I was thinking "WHAT?! Gee I'd love to see the missing footage. Maybe in the trilogy edition?<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Instead of a trilogy edition for I really don't want to have to buy the movies again. I would like to see a special features DVD separate from the sets that has every single piece of footage shot that was not put in the final films. I even want to see the stuff that would have contradicted from the main story line like Arwen at Helms Deep. I know it would probably have been bad but I am curious to see what was planned originally.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:03 PM   #16
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I suppose to see all the footage would be interesting, but you probably won't get extras like that without buying the trilogy again. But I wouldn't want to see the battle scene footage and stuff unless it had been inserted into the movie itself, or at least been mastered, with music and sound effects and everything.<P>By the way, a question regarding battle-garb while we're talking about it. (It's a question too small to take up space with an extra new post) Was Aragorn foolhardy in the movies not to wear chain mail? As I recall, he did not wear any in the book either, and if I were expecting to fight some battles, I would want some chain mail. And another thing came to me as well. Wasn't Boromir wearing chain mail? Or did he just have the sleeves on to look good? Because the arrows shouldn't have gotten him otherwise.<P>One more note. At Amon Hen, at the precise time code (EE) of 1:20:50, Aragorn appears to be hit in the back of the head with an Uruk sword! Why did he not get injured here? It also is extremely obscure just how he dispatched that particular orc...<P> Just a few small questions while we're on the topic of battles. <P>By the way, I <I>did</I> forget to mention the Black Gate battle, although there wasn't a whole lot of fighting action to study there. (BTW, the LotR trivial pursuit game has the question that I was allowed to skip on, given the fact that we didn't know this for sure, but it asked who killed the Mouth of Sauron! The answer, by the way, was Aragorn)
Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #17
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Goodness I am much a grived that no one has mention the part when Eoywn defeated the Naz gul...or maybe they did, anyway that was the BEST part...<P> by the way I tried that sled surfing thing that Legolas did...I couldn't even make it down the stairs without my friends screaming at me and trying to grad me, thinking I lost my mind!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Not the stairs, you fool! (I already tried it....laundry basket. You have to keep one foot out and hopping down, otherwise you hit the wall WAY too fast!)
Old 01-21-2004, 04:54 PM   #19
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Boy is that true Knight, QV try it in the winter time.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 PM   #20
QN_Victoria

Sting

Well I was doing it right, they're just a little paranoied(spell check) Laudry baskets are for begginers, it's much funner with a sled, or the bottom of carboard box... You've just got to be coordinated I guess...no offense to anyone
Old 01-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

That's why LEGOLAS did it. If he swung up an Oliphant, would you do THAT?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #22
Moonmaid
Pile O'Bones

Moonmaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to say Amon Hen, I love it! And it's because of the environment and the detail we can see of the fighting when there aren't that much fighters around. <P>And the second is of course the charge of rohirrim at the Pelennor. No need to explain.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #23
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well that and it's obviously fantasy...,but anyway it's not that hard to climb up an Oliphant. It really depends on the person who's climbing it, and the Oliphant itself
Old 02-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #24
Kintar Ravenlock

Sting

Battle scenes has two sizes i think and thats the duells and the battles...<P>My favorite duell scene is between Aragon and the ringwraiths....(The fellowship of the ring)....<BR>The reson is that thats were one see aragon swordskill first...<P>And of the big battles is when Helm´s deep is attacked by the Orc or Uru-kai... Not sure who is attacking.... Witch ones is it that attacks?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #25
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Definitely Pelennor Fields. Honestly, you can't beat a charge of Rohirrim screaming "Death!" at the top of their lungs. Crazy stuff!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #26
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Favorite Battle: Pelennor Fields, hands down.<P>NEW CATEGORY! What about one-on-one (or under ten-on-under ten)<BR>Examples...<BR>-Aragorn v. Lurtz<BR>-Eowyn v. Witch-King<BR>-Gandalf v. Balrog<BR>-Gollum v. Frodo (yeah, right)<BR>-Aragorn v. Nazgul<P>Soon enough, we'll get to see MoS v. Aragorn, and that's supposed to be good! *drools, but then realizes that the Mouth of Sauron wouldn't like that).

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:48 PM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Helm's Deep & Gandalf vs. Balrog.<P>(Kransha: perhaps you could post a new thread with your idea, though? that'd be cool. Since most people probably won't read posts [including your last one] before posting anyways...)
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:05 PM   #28
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Elrond vs Sauron. I know there wasn't much of a battle (ok no battle) but I just loved the look on Elrond's face when he saw Sauron = "Oh Sh**!"<BR>So if you are going to get picky I will say the elves vs Sauron but I didn't like how he was throwing them everywhere.<p>[ 5:07 PM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Old 02-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #29
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

Well, all the battle scenes really are great. I love the prologue, especially those fantastic camera sweeps over all the people of the Last Alliance. And Helm's Deep of course is a definite winner.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I didn't like Pelennor that much, although the lining up of the Rohirrim when they first arrive is pretty spectacular.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, that was awesome. As was the arrival of the Eorlingas at Helm's Deep. Their charge into the valley and the whole end of the Helm's Deep battle may have been my favorite battle sequence. My favorite duel is Gandalf vs. the Balrog. I love the physics no-no where Gandalf catches up to the sword, the fight on Zirak-Zigil, and most of all, the way Gandalf says "smote his ruin upon the mountainside." <p>[ 5:43 PM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 02-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #30
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My favorite duel is Gandalf vs. the Balrog. I love the physics no-no where Gandalf catches up to the sword, the fight on Zirak-Zigil, and most of all, the way Gandalf says "smote his ruin upon the mountainside." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> I also liked the way Gandalf grabbed onto one of the Balrog's horns & swung himself around back onto his chest (or back, can't remember which )!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:16 AM   #31
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

It wasn't really a battle scene, but it was beautiful, far more adrenaline-pumping than any car chase scene was the Flight to the Ford.<P>Also, the Chamber of Mazarbul. Lots of improvising and tricks-pulled-out-of-sleeves there, I loved it.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #32
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I can't say which battle scene i like best because they all have something that makes them awesome.
The prologue- The Elven swords were cool in that. Amon hen-The landscape and boromir's final stand
Helm's deep- The rohirrim charging and the sun blinding the Uruk-Hai and Legolas's stunt
Pellenor fields- The charging of the rohirrim, it send chills down my spine and legolas's stunt was cool
Seige of Gondor-I loved the catapults because they gave this flying motion when the rocks were released
See, all the battles have something that makes them really cool.
However I do have a favourite duel. That is when Eowyn faces the witchking of Angmar.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:08 PM   #33
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
No ones ever mentioned this so i might aswell do so now. I loved it at the pellenor fields when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli jumped over the corsair ships and charged at the enemy with the army of dead at their sides. The look on all the orcs faces were brilliant.
Anyway heres my overall favoritw battle scenes.

1. Pellenor fields
2. Helms Deep
3. Black Gate.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #34
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Hm, I'd say it's a tie between the battle at Osgiliath (near the beginning of RotK) and Amon Hen... but there are specific parts from the other battles I like as well (i.e. charge of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor and the Uruks stomping their spears on the ground at Helm's Deep).
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:55 AM   #35
Lindalirien O Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Lindalirien O Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know what, I loved all of the battlescence, they all had something that were great .So, I really don't have a favorite but out of all of the battles these ones stood out the most in my mind. Well I really liked Pelennor when the Rohirrim (sp?) came and when Theoden gave his speech it gave me goosebumps. I loved the prolouge scene too with the elves, I thought their armour was just so cool. I also loved Helms Deep when Eomer came with Gandalf. I have to agree with Lathriel Eowyn facing the Witchking was great too.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #36
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
well to say all the battle scenes were spectacular ,
but most of al the prologue was superb the swordfight of the elves was astounding and then comes the pelenor where the rohirrim line up ,helms deep was good too.gandalf and witch king looked spectacular
Old 03-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #37
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

By the way, probably the best battles include horns. The biggest and best moment in RotK, in my opinion, was when the horn blew. (I swear, every time I recall that scene [having only seen it once so far] I get chills) And Boromir's, of course. Even the orc-horn was kind of cool, and I'm NOT one of those that considers orc-baddies to be cool.

I wonder if they'll ever sell a functioning Rohan, Gondor, or Boromir horn? Perhaps with the Narnia movies upcoming soon, we'll have a Queen Susan's horn replica? How can a Knight get his hands on one of these cool horns?