The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Game Thread: WW LXXXVI - The Halls of Mandos

Welcome to Werewolf 86 - The Halls of Mandos!

This is an experimental game with an additional game thread for the dead.

This is the game thread for the living: we are a first age village of elves that is beset by werewolves. The living may post here during the Day; the dead may only read.

Living players who do not vote for two consecutive days will be modfired (moved to the dead thread) unless the player in question is Sally and the Days in question are 1 and 2.

Macalaure is the co-mod.

Multiple lynches of any number of players are allowed. Use it for good, not for evil (unless evil floats your boat).

Roles will not be revealed upon death.

The roles are:

-3 wolves. Normal wolf pack.
Living wolves can PM one another by Night, and dead wolves can PM one another at any time. Living wolves, however, cannot communicate with dead wolves.

-3 cobblers. No special powers.

-Beren and Lúthien - Lovers: when one dies, xe spends 1 Day among the dead, then returns to the living for 1 Day, after which both die. Aligned with the village, win if village wins.

-Glorfindel - Ranger: like the lovers, Glorfindel will spend 1 Day in Mandos and then return to the living the Day after that. Before his return, he has one protection per Night; after his return, he will have the ability to protect two people every Night. He can protect himself. He cannot protect a person twice in a row.

-Seer. Normal seer, except that xe continues to dream after xer death. Can only dream of the living when alive, can only dream of the dead after his death. Can detect cobblers.

-Hunter. Normal illogical hunter.

The living:

Shasta
Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea
Macalaure
Rikae

Night 1 begins at 11 pm EST. Turn yourself invisible and check your PM box for your role.

Last edited by Rikae; 01-28-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It is the year 100 of the Sun. Arien and Tilion shine upon the vast greens of Ard-Galen, where the Elves gloriously lay siege to the dark fortress of Angband.

This is the strange account of a group of twenty-two Elven riders of the House of Finarfin, obeying the orders of Angrod and Aegnor, patroling the grassy plains surrounding the Dark Lord's abide. Despite the due watchfulness of the scouts, this patrol did not promise to be any less uneventful as the usual one during these days of long peace.

After several days of scouting, and being many days of riding away from home, things happened the party did not, and could not, expect. They were about to set camp for the night, when in the twilight six evil spirits were lurking near them, undiscovered. They were waiting for the night to fall, biding their time to prey upon the Elven guards.

But they did not intend to kill them, nor capture them into slavery.

They had far worse in mind.

(It is now Night1. Wolves plot. Seer dream. Lovers may start pm'ing.)

Last edited by Macalaure; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Night fell on the Elven scouts and - leaving two to guard the camp - they fell asleep.

On the six crept stealthily, evading the spiritual senses of Elf and beast. Each of the six chose a sleeping victim and sneaked towards them imperceptibly.

Simultaneously they entered their prey, and what happened to these poor souls in that moment, who can tell? The spirits put Morgoth's dark arts to use and changed them from the inside, turning goodness to evil, purity to corruption, and sanity to madness. The three more powerful ones then proceeded to change the bodies of their victims, so that they would still resemble their former selves in daylight, but during the night they would turn into abominations - vile beasts that would gruesomely slaughter anyone brave or foolish enough to oppose them: werewolves!

The spirits worked quietly enough to not wake anyone, but the guards became wary and the horses restless. The wolves knew what they had to do.

*~*

The next morning, the Elven riders saw what the night had wrought: A sight of unimaginable bloodshed of bodies and limbs of twenty-two horses lay around them, and in their midst, the mangled, dead bodies of their two guards, Rikae and Macalaure.

Day one has begun. Wolves stop PMing, hunter make your pick.

You may now post.

The living:

Shasta
Nogrod
Aganzir
Glirdan
A Little Green
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nerwen
Loslote
Wilwa
Legate
Lommy

Nessa
Blind Guardian
satansaloser2005
the phantom
Boromir88
Mithalwen
Anguirel
Fea

The dead:
Macalaure
Rikae
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Not the horses! Anything but the horses!

...Well, and Rikae and Mac too, I suppose.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, really. The horses and everything? Naughty, naughty werewolves. [/IC (insane cauterwaling? inadequate characterization?)]

Well, I think, with this new Dead Thread thing, we should adopt a new way of determining guilt. We've always known that among the first three people to post hides a werewolf. Let's switch that up a bit - among the first three people to sign up hides a werewolf! Talk about meta reasoning! This'll be awesome! We'll lynch either Shasta, Nog, or Agan. Sound good? *pause for cheering and such*

I thought so.

EDIT: xed with The Icicle Himself!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ai, ai, my horse has been slain! We passed through many battles together! She deserved a more noble death than this mauling! A curse upon Morgoth for his evil works!

Oh... and that's too bad about Mac and Rikae too. They seemed like okay people, but maybe we should've picked different guards. Those two had a habit of shirking their duties in favor of.... other things.

(edit: Ha ha! Nice x-post Shasta! I swear I didn't copy you. )
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think this proves Shasta Icicle and The Puddingtom are packmates. Let's lynch 'em. Who's with me?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Lottie- you should vote me for Rep, right away!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
If the Phantom gets a rep-vote, my head will explode. Again. That is all.

(Hi Phantom, nice of you to join us. )
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Yes, well, I simply had to join once I discovered that I get to make noise from beginning to end no matter what happens.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Yes, well, I simply had to join once I discovered that I get to make noise from beginning to end no matter what happens.
I would have thought that would appeal to you.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
[QUOTE=tp]Yes, well, I simply had to join once I discovered that I get to make noise from beginning to end no matter what happens[quote] and for this and this reason only I say we keep him alive......that way he can only cause headaches in one area

Last edited by Glirdan; 01-25-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: forgot to finish off the quote :rolleyes:
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, so, here's what we know thus far....

Shasta- Seer!
Nogrod- Hunter!
Aganzir- Ordo
Glirdan- Cobbler!
Green- Ordo
Nerwen- Beren!
Lottie- Wolf!
Wilwa- Ordo
Legate- Wolf!
Lommy- Glorfindel!
Blind- Ordo
Sally- Ordo
Boro- Cobbler!
Mith- Ordo
Ang- Ordo
Fea- Ordo
Phantom- Ordo

I've never played with these three, so I'm having difficulty reading them, but we know that one is a Wolf, one is a Cobbler, and the remaining is Luthien.
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nessa
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Well, if you're making Nerwen Beren then I kind of obviously have to be Luthien, don't I? Which means you're wrong in at least one regard.

I love puncturing phantom's stuff.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #15
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Shasta- but it's a trick! Morgoth knew we'd assume you and Nerwen were paired, so he changed it up! He's a tricky fellow.

And that's an excellent idea, Glirdan, but it wasn't what I had planned. Here's what I'm thinking-

Early on I'm going to keep my cards close, and then on Day 2 I will charge forth with great energy and force and accurately accuse all our evil-doers! To silence me they will attempt to slay me that night, but Lommy despite her dislike for me will valiantly rescue me from them! Then on Day 3 the baddies will go all out to try and get me lynched, and unfortunately several of you innocents will be swayed, and I will descend into the Dead Thread in great wrath. Once there I will continue making the same case day after day in post after post, which will make everyone hate me a bit, but that will be nothing compared to the way people feel at the end when I am proven correct and act absolutely insufferable about it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

And now, I will predict what all the old guard players are thinking as they start reading at the beginning of the thread...

"How delightful! Lots of old faces back for this one! Mith and Ang even, what a treat! And Phantom, well- I never agreed with his style, but I seem to remember him being generally fun."
*reads*
"Well crap, I completely forgot how much I hate playing with Phantom. Yeesh, shut up already."

Fear not, for you shall receive your wish soon enough! Tonight is not a late one for me. Places to be soon after the sun rises.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #17
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
On second thought, let's lynch him now and be done with it....I dn't think I can take his jabbering for an entire game
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Lottie- you should vote me for Rep, right away!
++Sir Pudding for Rep
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #19
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

But killing me won't stop my jabbering, Glirdy. It'll just put me in the Dead Thread. And if I know you, you'll be there no later than Day 2.

(Yes! Rep vote already!)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well.... I was expecting more of an opening flurry than this. How sad. Give me more to read tomorrow please.

*waves*

Nighty-night.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
++Sir Pudding for Rep
-head explodes-

Oh well, off to Mandos for me.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #22
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
-head explodes-

Oh well, off to Mandos for me.
++Shasta for Rep, too

Better?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #23
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

As better as one can be with an exploded head, I suppose.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
As better as one can be with an exploded head, I suppose.
Ahh, who needs a head, anyway? Heads are boring. The French figured that out long ago; just look at all those rich people who got rid of theirs! You're better off without it.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Ahh, who needs a head, anyway? Heads are boring. The French figured that out long ago; just look at all those rich people who got rid of theirs! You're better off without it.
Hey, didn't the rich people have something to do with cake, too?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #26
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Hey, didn't the rich people have something to do with cake, too?
They sure did.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

I should know better than to banter with the Mistress of Youtube.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #28
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Now, now, that title properly belongs to our dearest Cup Cake. I merely follow in her footsteps like a devoted puppy or something.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #29
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Now, now, that title properly belongs to our dearest Cup Cake. I merely follow in her footsteps like a devoted puppy or something.
Oh dear, she's going to have my head now, isn't she? I'm frightened.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bleary eyed and going back to sleep for a bit if I can. Non obvious nicknames seem cobblerish at stupid-o'clock. So that is Loslote under the gun. Time difference? Gah noone should be that perky ever... Glad to have me back? You won't be....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #31
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Oh dear, she's going to have my head now, isn't she? I'm frightened.
Why would you be? If you've already lost your head, there's no reason to worry that she'll steal it from you. She has it, I have it, either way you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Bleary eyed and going back to sleep for a bit if I can. Non obvious nicknames seem cobblerish at stupid-o'clock. So that is Loslote under the gun. Time difference? Gah noone should be that perky ever... Glad to have me back? You won't be....
So if I doused you in water to wake you up, would you vote me?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #32
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom

Okay, so, here's what we know thus far....

Shasta- Seer!
Nogrod- Hunter!
Aganzir- Ordo
Glirdan- Cobbler!
Green- Ordo
Nerwen- Beren!
Lottie- Wolf!
Wilwa- Ordo
Legate- Wolf!
Lommy- Glorfindel!
Blind- Ordo
Sally- Ordo
Boro- Cobbler!
Mith- Ordo
Ang- Ordo
Fea- Ordo
Phantom- Ordo

I've never played with these three, so I'm having difficulty reading them, but we know that one is a Wolf, one is a Cobbler, and the remaining is Luthien.
elronds_daughter
Mänwe
Nessa
Not a bad start, tp, but I don't think you've considered all the ramifications. For instance, even if the Marrer kept me from my innermost heart, I should of course have refused to be paired with L. Ron or Nessa after they bloodily murdered me on Day One last time.

EDIT:X'd with some Miths and Lotties.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #33
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
Now this is clearly a confession.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #34
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Not a bad start, tp, but I don't think you've considered all the ramifications. For instance, even if the Marrer kept me from my innermost heart, I should of course have refused to be paired with L. Ron or Nessa after they bloodily murdered me on Day One last time.

EDIT:X'd with some Miths and Lotties.
So you're admitting that Mänwe is the other Lover?

Edit: xed with Berwen
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #35
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Now this is clearly a confession.
Ahh, attempting to defract attention, are you?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 AM   #36
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
So you're admitting that Mänwe is the other Lover?
Nooooo! What have I done? Forgive me, darling Mänluthien, I was too overcome with sorrow over poor Dobbin to think clearly.

Quote:
Ahh, attempting to defract attention, are you?
I'm not sure. What does that involve, exactly?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #37
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Nooooo! What have I done? Forgive me, darling Mänluthien, I was too overcome with sorrow over poor Dobbin to think clearly.

I'm not sure. What does that involve, exactly?
According to Wikipedia, diffraction "refers to various phenomena which occur when a wave encounters an obstacle". Thus, clearly, your post is the 'various phenomena', you are the 'wave', and my realizing that Mänwe was Luthien was the 'obstacle'.

Or, in simple terms, I dunno.

Last edited by Loslote; 01-26-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...740680,00.html

"The horses were panicky". Well quite. Ai ai.

Yet perhaps horses will return, yet, to our rescue. An anthem sung of old by Muir of Himring hints at something of the kind... (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-horses/)

The time is yet early and I wish attend to my steed's safe burial for some while yet, so I shall hold my tongue for a time. I shall leave behind only the observation that so much frippery and discussion of the Lovers - who are on our side - is at best noise that hampers our clear thinking, at worst, sabotage...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #39
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Burial? I was thinking more of sausages..... and I think I shall pass on the cold water thanks all the same Loslote.. well I'll pop bakc in a bit...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #40
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Enter the stiff upper lip Finns to complain about there having been enough nonsense...

First of all, this is going to be a bloody mess as the roles will not be revealed in death. We will actually have only two kinds of partial information for certain.

1) those killed at Night were "non-wolves" (and if the wolves decide to kill only the quiet, under-radar players at Nights, we gain little or no actual info from that).
2) those who come back from death are either a lover or the ranger aka. a goodie (and we'll lose those pretty soon anyway).

Which brings us an interesting new facet to the game. We thirst and hunger for information that is reliable. And the only way to get something resembling reliable info is that which the seer can give to a lover or the ranger in Mandos - but that in turn means that the seer must die before lovers or ranger (which latter should really try to cling on to life only to die relatively late in the game). And that means also, that getting the lovers and the ranger dead will be the first priority of the wolves: if they die early their return will not help us that much (and a double-protection is not such a mighty weapon in a big village than later) as the living then lose their only shot at any tangible information.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or how to play, but I do encourage the seer to consider what I have said (in case s/he hasn't done that yet).

Also, following Ang's suspicion, speculating about the lovers - even if it has been merely joking thus far - is not something we should keep on doing. Any hint the wolves get from that kind of discussion that leads them to try it out correctly means we lose two innocents, and especially early on, we lose a chance of learning something later.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote