The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Paper Topic?

I'm going to be writing an 8 or 9 page paper on LotR for a class on fantasy literature and I need a topic. Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Nine topics for mortal men doomed to die

Hi Gwathagor,

Well top 9 Books Topics by posts (views bracketed) here are-

Are You Writing Serious Fantasy? 853 (9,665)

‘Canonicity’: the Book or the Reader? 589 (18,995)

The Lord of the Bible? 467 (14,393)

Poll: Do Balrogs Have Wings? 446 (18,948)

Christopher Tolkien to finish lost Middle Earth novel 441 (21,269)

Did JRRT encourage new ME stories? 319 (7,925)

The atrocity of the Akallabęth 312 (7,405)

Poll: Is Eru God? 262 (7,421)

Of another world 237 (7,076)

Might give you a few ideas, nice to see that Children of Hurin pips both Canonicity and Balrog Wings to most viewed!

No. 10 is the currently running 'Fantasy' thread, so may move up the charts!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It depends upon what interests you, but here are some more ideas to add on to Rumil's list...

In one semester I start my student teaching for social studies and I always love how you can look at literature and see what it tells you about history (social, military, intellectual...etc). Many times Tolkien says he's not writing an allegory, which I will take his word for it, but you can learn a lot about history, by looking at the literature of the day. I think the same can be done with Lord of the Rings. For example, what technology is used in Lord of the Rings, what is it's purpose, and what does that tell you how technology was used during the time LOTR was being written? You can look at family structure, government...etc

Or certain intellectual topics like what is justice, in LOTR? What is wisdom?

Or maybe an analysis of a character. One time I wrote a paper on Grima and argued whether he was brainwashed by Saruman and was not in control of his actions or if he acted out of his own self-interests and should be held accountable.

The possibilities are endless and I would suggest to find whatever interests you, form an essential question from the topic, and make your argument.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I don't want to give any sort of advice until I know a bit more about what the paper's for. If this is a "I have to get a paper done" paper, then I'd say write about whatever you feel like that you can drag out to the page limit.

But if this is for some sort of upper level course you're usually expected to contribute something that, if it's not original, at least makes the prof think. It's a lot harder to find paper topics that sizzle.

And finally (especially if this is one of the latter papers), do you know how accepting/hostile the person who's grading it is to the inclusion of LotR as a work of great literature? That ought to affect your topic as well.

ETA: Crud, never mind. I just reread that it's a fantasy course. So Question 3 is out. But that means Question 2 is probably paramount. I'll try to think up a couple of interesting things...
Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
I don't want to give any sort of advice until I know a bit more about what the paper's for. If this is a "I have to get a paper done" paper, then I'd say write about whatever you feel like that you can drag out to the page limit.

But if this is for some sort of upper level course you're usually expected to contribute something that, if it's not original, at least makes the prof think. It's a lot harder to find paper topics that sizzle.

And finally (especially if this is one of the latter papers), do you know how accepting/hostile the person who's grading it is to the inclusion of LotR as a work of great literature? That ought to affect your topic as well.
We read LotR for the class, and it's one of the professor's favorite books, sooo I think it will be ok. I do need to come up with a good, original topic that really matters, not only because it's a 400-level class, but also in order to keep me interested while I'm working on it.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm. What about doing something that looks at LotR and the Silm? I know that some of this was mentioned in the original CbC threads, but I've always thought something dealing with parallel imagery in LotR and the Silm (and how that ties into the Great Stories Never Ending, etc.) would be really cool. Most obvious one I can think of off the top of my head is Sam singing to find Frodo vs. Fingon singing to find Maedhros.

Another good one I can think of off the top of my head from Downs topics was the notion of "other" and how characters who seem to work in pairs end up getting different, more fulfilling pairings by the end of the book--and how marriage seems to be more fulfilling than friendship, but the divine is even more fulfilling than that. I can scrounge around to try to find that old thread if you'd like.

I'd say in order for it to interest you, though, it has to deal with themes and characters that you find really interesting.

Though I have to admit, if you turn the C-thread into a paper... O_____O
Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Kent2010
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I do need to come up with a good, original topic that really matters, not only because it's a 400-level class, but also in order to keep me interested while I'm working on it.
In that case (and this will depend upon how much time you have), think of several ideas you're interested in, then go out and research, see what you come up with. Then from what you've gathered see what questions are there.

It took me a while to break the habit of coming up with the topic first, and then doing the research/writing the paper. You can get stuck on trying to figure out a topic, and then once you find that 'perfect' topic, you head out to find the info, but realize there's nothing there, or what you have is all over the place.

I wrote a paper on the notion of privacy and what's ok to publicize, my prof said it was a great idea, bu there is so much on that topic, when I turned in my paper it was a mess. I had John Dewey, court cases, newspapers, everything, and I bombed it. I let my broad topic about "privacy" dictate my paper and it turned out to be a jumbled bunch of random stuff about privacy. And I never answered my question "what is acceptable to publicize?"

Think what interests you about LOTR, read parts you really like, look through threads, write down anything that sticks out, and let the questions come from that. Let the "evidence" form the questions and dictate the topic, instead of being stuck on a topic and finding there's nothing you can write about it or your paper has no focus because the topic has led you all over the place.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Quote:
We read LotR for the class, and it's one of the professor's favorite books, sooo I think it will be ok. I do need to come up with a good, original topic that really matters, not only because it's a 400-level class, but also in order to keep me interested while I'm working on it.
if you're writing something about a prof's favourite book, just be careful! He/she will have very definite ideas about it and if yours are different, they'd better be convincing.

I once had a professor who was passionate about Tolkien and actually had a manuscript which he would pass reverently around the group. One of us was doing her Honours thesis on LOTR and he was her supervisor. I hope she did well, but I bet he put her through a lot!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Thanks for the responses, everyone. You've given me some good ideas - but by all means keep the suggestions coming.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
The Lord of the Bible?
Funny you should mention that, Rumil, I just finished a fantastic book called "Sanctifying Myth" that really goes in-depth to the theological significance of the LotR books. If you want me to, Gwath, I'd be happy to post some of the main points and questions that the book poses.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Though I have to admit, if you turn the C-thread into a paper... O_____O
You'd better be careful you aren't handing it in to Professor Fordim Hedgethistle himself.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Mmmmmm.

I don't remember ever having written a paper on Tolkien (and if I had, it was probably so horrific that I most likely broke out the bleach and wiped it from my memory at a later date, to spare myself the recurring nightmares), but I keep going back to Tolkien even in my nonfiction writing - and I think it's always interesting to trace his influence upon the writers working today, and by that I don't just mean the straight-up rip-offs that line the Fantasy aisle like so much fluff from the dryer.

Of course, that involves a whole lot of outside reading that you probably don't want to do if you're writing a short paper!

Quote:
I once had a professor who was passionate about Tolkien and actually had a manuscript which he would pass reverently around the group. One of us was doing her Honours thesis on LOTR and he was her supervisor. I hope she did well, but I bet he put her through a lot!
ZOMG. This is precisely the reason why I did my thesis on a writer that no one in my department had even heard of (with the exception of a visiting British professor who had no idea who I was, was very nice, and very puzzled as to why I insisted on recruiting him as my adviser).

It can be pretty terrifying, when the people on the committee are very passionate about the work, and could possibly smite you.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Well, it looks like I'll be writing on the importance of the 3 Elven Rings to the story of LotR. This topic might be a little tricky because there isn't much explicit information given regarding the Three, but I think there are enough clues and hints for me to work up a doable outline.

There is a line in The Council of Elrond: "Those who made them did not desire strength or domination, but understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained." I think this is the key to understanding the Elven Rings - both how they work and their role in the story. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well, it looks like I'll be writing on the importance of the 3 Elven Rings to the story of LotR. This topic might be a little tricky because there isn't much explicit information given regarding the Three, but I think there are enough clues and hints for me to work up a doable outline.
Certainly and original topic, but I guess that's what makes good papers. I would really like to know how it turns out. Best of luck with it, Gwath.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
There is a line in The Council of Elrond: "Those who made them did not desire strength or domination, but understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained." I think this is the key to understanding the Elven Rings - both how they work and their role in the story. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
Well there are the obvious paralels with the Silmarils and their links with the elements Water, Air, and Fire, and the particular skills of their owners, you might want to make reference also to the Elessar since that was also made by Celebrimbor. That is just off the top of my head but your topic touches on something I am currently researching for myself so I will PM you if anything strikes me as I proceed with that.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:

Impressive indeed. Perhaps you could keep us briefly informed, too? And of course, you can consult.

I pretty much envy you (of course, like probably many of us do ) to write on such topic anyway.

If I may suggest (if you wish me to, of course), I think you are right about the line - last year, I was actually also writing a paper on ethics where I discussed LotR and the problem of power, now it seems this concerns your topic as well - going around the quote you pointed out, that the Elven Rings, of all, were not supposed to dominate, but to preserve, and now you can link that perhaps to the overall decay of Arda (preservation, the "Long Defeat", whatever). Also, I'd perhaps think it worth considering to think of the scene(s) in Lórien - mainly what Galadriel says, including the fact that the Dark Lord suspects where the Ring is, but does not know - and the light sees into the heart of the darkness, but itself it remains hidden (cf. Frodo on Cerin Amroth). Well, just general ideas, perhaps it will spark some thoughts in your mind (unless you have already thought of that yourself, of course ).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Well there are the obvious paralels with the Silmarils and their links with the elements Water, Air, and Fire, and the particular skills of their owners, you might want to make reference also to the Elessar since that was also made by Celebrimbor. That is just off the top of my head but your topic touches on something I am currently researching for myself so I will PM you if anything strikes me as I proceed with that.
The connections between the Rings and their Bearers, and the consequent roles that their Bearers play in LotR I think should feature prominently in the paper, since the point is to relate the Rings to the story of LotR, and not just write about the mechanics of Middle-earth. In other words, I can't get too nerdy.

I am assuming that there is evidence in LotR of the power of Three Rings at work. My job is to find it, and then use it to demonstrate why the Rings and their Bearers are important are significant as part of the story, not just as figures.

Some examples of the power of the Rings that have occurred to me are as follows:
-Galadriel uses Nenya to construct/preserve Lothlorien. This is an example of the quality of making.
-Elrond is referred to as the greatest healer in Middle-earth, an ability no doubt due in large part to his Ring.
-Gandalf specializes in fire, and bears the Ring of Fire.
-The power that Elrond is described as having over the valley of Rivendell is another example.
-All three Bearers are very wise and form the core of the White Council. I think this shows the power of the Rings for understanding.
-Elrond seems to have intuited Aragorn's wish when he summoned the Dunedain and sent them to Aragorn's aid. I can't remember whether Galadriel was involved in that, but could this kind of farseeing perception be another effect of the Ring?
-Hmmm...Galadriel's Mirror is made of water and Nenya is the Ring of Water, sooo maybe there's a connection?

I am sure there are others that I am missing.

It might be a good idea to contrast the role that the Three Rings play in the story with the other Rings - the Nine, and maybe the One as well.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I wonder if "understanding, making, and healing" apply to all Three Rings equally, or in varying degrees? I also wonder if each Ring has very specific powers? Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Don't forget about Gandalf's Insta-Hope skillz during the Siege of Gondor. That has to be Narya at work.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Gwathy - it is getting late for me here but I will be thinking about this ...don't forget the reference to the stars being clearer over Rivendell - and that Earendil is Elrond's dad . Galadriel captures the light of Earendil but in water and her realm is protected by water - and is where time "holds still" - thought I think the mortals also find it hard to keep time in Rivendell. Understanding - well Gandalf yes but he also as a maia connected to Olorin inspires great deads and has the association with dreams - possibly inspiring Faramir's dream?

Sorry this is very stream of consciousness but I really should go home now!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Hmph. Gwathy, forsooth.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Don't forget about Gandalf's Insta-Hope skillz during the Siege of Gondor. That has to be Narya at work.
Ah, that's a good point.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry... I guess everyone shortened my name so much that I gave up minding or thinking others might .... but still a little ungrateful Master Gwathagor

Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
-Gandalf specializes in fire, and bears the Ring of Fire.
Quote:
Quite - let's not forget the the fire of Narya was not mainly just the physical fire, but the so-called "kindling of the spirit" (and I guess that was more important than the physical fire itself!). I guess there was quite a lot about it somewhere - either in the "Of the Rings of Power and Third Age" or in the Istari essay.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #25
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Sorry this is very stream of consciousness but I really should go home now!!!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Sorry... I guess everyone shortened my name so much that I gave up minding or thinking others might .... but still a little ungrateful Master Gwathagor
Ha ha ha.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Quite - let's not forget the the fire of Narya was not mainly just the physical fire, but the so-called "kindling of the spirit" (and I guess that was more important than the physical fire itself!). I guess there was quite a lot about it somewhere - either in the "Of the Rings of Power and Third Age" or in the Istari essay.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I reckon said spirit-kindling is the chief role that Narya plays in LotR.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #28
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I finished the paper, so thanks again for the assistance.

Maybe you want to read it? If so, it's over here.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Kent2010
Wight

Great stuff, Gwath, I learned a lot from it. It might already be long enough, but maybe you want to mention each Ring of Power had a stone set in it. I don't know enough about the details, but you might be able to uncover more if you look at the stones set in the three Elven Rings and see what symbols Tolkien is playing with. Either way I think it's a strong paper, and it progresses smoothly too, it doesn't jump all around (a quality my papers tend to have ).