The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2005, 06:15 AM   #81
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
Well, we were s'posed to do research and relate our projects to that. It was s'posed to be something that people would buy. I did lots of Tolkien research, and I even included lots of writing in tengwar so that I could make a care label in elvish. My teacher wasn't impressed!

The shop that I mentioned earlier with the lovely fabric has all the simplicity patterns too. I'd completely forgoten though.... Thanks! It would be much easier than making my own pattern. I shall no-longer be tempted with thoughts of cheating! I promise!
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:45 AM   #82
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Don't cheat with your cloak, they are so easy to make! All I would advise is lots of room to cut the pattern as I had a nightmare with mine! Mine was made from pattern 9887 here and it's pretty simple, and moves nicely too. Though I did cheat and buy another when I saw a nice double sided cloak, as that would be too difficult to make for me!
Lalwendë, I don't suppose the "cheat" was in [b]davem[/]b's size, was it? Or will you make a matching one for him?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #83
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Lalwendë, I don't suppose the "cheat" was in [b]davem[/]b's size, was it? Or will you make a matching one for him?
No, the one I made myself is more his size with him being tall, as it's actually far too long for me, but I doubt I'd ever get him to wear a cloak anyway, but if I do I shall be sure to get a photo! Now he will be very scared! Especially being spoken about in this way...I can expect retribution later!

Celebuial, that pattern pack also has a pattern for a Gandalf hat! I've not tried that one yet, but it looked like fun to make.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #84
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Subtlety, Lalwendë, subtlety. IMO, forget "costumes". Go for "Garments" that have the flavor/ style you want and he will like. No arm-twisting needed. For instance, how about garments that remind you of the professor? Start with one garment at a time, with many compliments along the way. Just keep telling him how sharp he looks.

I talked my husband into buying a lovely tan-heather henley shirt, which strikes me as very woodsy, and country.

It also strikes me as very middle-earthy and hobbity. I didn't tell him that, of course.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #85
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

How come nobody told me about this??? There's a LOTR section under the heading "Licensed Goods", and you can get Frodo's cloak for a reasonable price... and check out all the Aragorn stuff!

http://www.museumreplicas.com/
Old 03-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #86
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sewing machines will be the death of me, but I did manage to weedle my mom into making me a Galadriel dress once, and I'm hoping for a decidedly Hobbit-like dress soon. I'm taking Clothing 101 next year, and for the Prom Dress section, I'm going to try to make something similar to the coat/dress thing Eowyn wears during the funeral of her cousin. It's so pretty!

I must say i'm impressed with everyone who finds the time (and talent!) to make those clothes.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #87
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
My friend and I, (The illustrious Megan Le BoogerBeans) made hobbit coats last year...

Only problem is, I was too big for mine. She wore Frodo's green coat, I was stuck with Merry's. In the end, she had both, and I was called a stupid Elf... But, she did make me a head orniment out of clay... It hurts when you wear it for any extended period of time... Which in this matter, is about five minutes...

I'm planning now, to make an Elrond outfit and hold up my title... Since I have also been noted to be rather moody sometimes...

~ I'm listening to the Pope of Mope - Morrissey! Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #88
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Me, I just make cloaks. And since capris have been in style for awhile, it makes finding short pants very easy. Nothing I have made is 'authentic' but I did buy a leaf brooch like the ones given to the Fellowship at Lothlorien. It's very pretty.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 AM   #89
Celebuial
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
I did buy a leaf brooch like the ones given to the Fellowship at Lothlorien. It's very pretty
Me too. It cost me Ł80 so I can't wait untill my cloak is finished so it's in it's proper environment!
Boe min bango.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #90
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
Me too. It cost me Ł80 so I can't wait untill my cloak is finished so it's in it's proper environment!
Are you making an authentic one? I think it had been mentioned before, there is a website that has the patterns used in the movies. I have the cloak pattern that Galadriel gave the fellowship, but I haven't made one of those yet.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 AM   #91
Celebuial
Wight

Actual patterns for the ones in the film, and not just ones that look like it??!!!??!!! Where? Do tell!
Boe min bango.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #92
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm sorry I took so long, had to dig through all my papers.http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/
Old 04-30-2005, 11:08 PM   #93
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Aha, I've made the Fellowship cloak from that pattern! I actually wrote about it in this very thread. There's a couple posts, right in the middle of the 2nd page. I've got a few pictures (not very good ones, I must add) in my second post.

If you want specific tips for making it, just ask!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #94
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuranar
Aha, I've made the Fellowship cloak from that pattern! I actually wrote about it in this very thread. There's a couple posts, right in the middle of the 2nd page. I've got a few pictures (not very good ones, I must add) in my second post.

If you want specific tips for making it, just ask!
The wool you used is so beautiful! I myself have just begun LotR costuming. I taught myself to sew and made a quite lovely Eowyn "Shieldmaiden" dress. I used Simplicity 4940 and created the sleeves myself along with various changes to the vest/corset part. I very much don't like the neckline though- it's way too high. besides that it turned out lovely- especially for my first work! I'll try to get pictures soon!

My next plan is to make Fellowship cloaks for my sister and myself. (of course using alleycatscratch's pattern)

About the Fellowship cloak, when making the hood, did you find it neccesary to alter the pattern for more room around the face as suggested on ACS? I have been wondering about that and have not yet made a muslin of it...

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #95
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elentari - I've had that very same pattern for a few weeks now, but I've not yet started on it. The only thing which has put me off is that the amount of fabric needed will cost quite a bit and I was hoping to find something ridiculously cheap to have a practice run with. Was it very difficult to make? If not then I may just go for it anyway. Did you try the one with the extra bodice?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #96
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Quote:
Elentari - I've had that very same pattern for a few weeks now, but I've not yet started on it. The only thing which has put me off is that the amount of fabric needed will cost quite a bit and I was hoping to find something ridiculously cheap to have a practice run with. Was it very difficult to make? If not then I may just go for it anyway. Did you try the one with the extra bodice?
-Lawende
I unfortunately had terrible fabric (brocade satin i believe), but if you wanted something cheap I would reccomend a muslin of sorts. For my first time sewing anything on my own, it was very easy. The instructions were clear, and I made the cream dress part in 3 days. I don't like the pattern sleeves though...

-Yes, I did make the one with an extra bodice, which was also simple to make
The one thing I don't like about this pattern (for making the shieldmaiden dress) is the yoke/neckline, it's far too high up. (I plan on cutting it shorter)
As for the bodice, it's just a thin costume vest/thing without a lining.

Are you planning a "shieldmaiden" gown also? If you are I'd love to share details on anything

Happy sewing on this one!

p.s. Alleycatscratch.com was a great blessing for tips, inspiration, and pictures!

Old 05-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #97
Imrahil
Pile O'Bones

Imrahil has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Haven't bought anything yet. I want a sword...Anduril or Glamdring would be nice. I saw a nice shirt online with the White Tree of Gondor...and I saw Aragorn's flag which is nice too...

Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy a full suit of Gondorian armor and a horse and ride around waving the Gondor flag shouting "For Gondor!" and "Stand Men of the West!"
Please tell me I'm not the only person to want to do that...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #98
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I saw a nice shirt online with the White Tree of Gondor
*immediately becomes rabid* Where???

Last edited by Encaitare; 05-05-2005 at 09:01 PM. Reason: proper verb conjugation! woohoo!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 PM   #99
Imrahil
Pile O'Bones

Imrahil has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Gondor Shirts

Here ya go...

Gondor shirts

eBay - Gondor Shirt
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #100
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrahil
Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy a full suit of Gondorian armor and a horse and ride around waving the Gondor flag shouting "For Gondor!" and "Stand Men of the West!"
Please tell me I'm not the only person to want to do that...
You're not the only one. I'd probably swap the armor for a gorgeous Gondorian gown, but I'd be right up there on a horse, shouting encouraging words to the soldiers.

I'm planning an attempt at a new gown, something blue and Elven/Medieval, with drape sleeves. I fancied going to a few special places this summer, gatherings and such, and I decided I would look the part.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #101
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrahil
I saw a nice shirt online with the White Tree of Gondor...
If only they'd had ebay in the early 80's, and then my mother would have been spared me 'customising' my best coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elentari
For my first time sewing anything on my own, it was very easy. The instructions were clear, and I made the cream dress part in 3 days. I don't like the pattern sleeves though...
I'm glad you've said it was easy! The cloak I made was simple, and I even hand stitched it, so it sounds as though I ought to be able to tackle this project! I wasn't too keen on the neckline either, but I thought this effect could be had by simply tucking a chiffon scarf into the neckline, so it would be removable. I do like those mad long sleeves though!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #102
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
I'm glad you've said it was easy! The cloak I made was simple, and I even hand stitched it, so it sounds as though I ought to be able to tackle this project! I wasn't too keen on the neckline either, but I thought this effect could be had by simply tucking a chiffon scarf into the neckline, so it would be removable. I do like those mad long sleeves though!
Good luck on the project! It should turn out beautiful
The sleeves I made myself are really neat- when tied up nicely they hang below my knee while I'm standing. Not quite as long and awesome as the one in the films, but still great

I'd say I should go make a cloak or two! I'm glad they were also simple.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 AM   #103
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta_Underhill
I'm working on what I call the "Thrift Store Frodo" outfit, except I haven't paid that much attention to actual fabric type. I never have any time or money, so I don't know if I'll have the time and stuff to finish it up. Scrounging is a talent, though, and I did manage to convert a bright orange satiny brocade 1970's long wrap jacket into a sort of dyed orange-brown frock coat, but it still looks a little silly! Also picked out some velvety fabric from a yard sale bin, but I don't know if there will be enough to cover pants and a vest. It will be verrrry tricksey!

Morsul, the Ent costume sounds really cool! Is anyone making costumes for events? My Frodo outfit, if I can get it done, will "premiere" at DragonCon in Atlanta, Georgia this year.

Cheers!
Lyta
I was thrift store frodo over halloween if i can get a scanner i will shopw you all the picture
Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #104
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

C'mon, Morsul, where's the pic? I wanna see.

I just found dark-brown linen Frodo-breeches at wElf-mart. I thought they were all burnt out on LOTR... guess they saved the best for last.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #105
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I finally finished sewing my red Arwen-style dress, which I will wear in Birmingham at Tolkien 2005. I have a picture to prove it, but I need to upload it somewhere before I can show it here.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #106
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

How about the new barrow-downs photo album? We could use an Arwen pic there.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:42 AM   #107
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've sent the picture to Tigerlily, but I don't know when she will have time to put it up.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #108
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I've been making a staff today. We went out to the woods and I found a nice long piece of Beech wood lying in the undergrowth. It has a fork at one end, handy for resting my thumb on. Then we went off for a walk and finally sat down by a stream up in the hills (where I saw an enormous dragonfly) to have our dinner and then we whittled all the dry bark off. I think this gave the passing hikers something to talk about, but I don't care, it was a most pleasant afternoon . I've now started to sand it down, and it's looking great - lots of nice woodgrain patterns coming through. All for the price of Ł2 to park the car.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:50 AM   #109
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Istari, Istari knight, is that Wizard Blue or Grey.

This has just reminded me to get on with my costume for 2005 at Aston. I have attended Oxonmoot as my hero The Witch-King, but this time I am going as Pallando. The Staff is half done, just got to put the orb on top.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #110
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Interesting choice of costume subject, narfforc. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone dressing up as Pallando before.

Feel free to post pictures of yourselves in your costumes here, or link to them. I'm sure we'd all love to see your handiwork!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #111
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Once The 2005 celebration is over, I will send one to the picture page.

In The Lord of the Grins, Palindrome (Pallando) and Avatar (Alatar) each become a Dog God.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #112
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
I'm planning on making a t-shirt. I want either hobbits, Aragorn, the White Tree, or elven script. I can't seem to find a pic that I really like. Any help?

Nim
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #113
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

White Tree

This isn't a movie cap or anything, but it's a really great version of the White Tree.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #114
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I was quite impressed by some mad head gear I saw online but alas was daunted by the prices (over Ł150 ). I thought "psht, I can make those myself" so today I've been making a mad head-piece 'thing' out of various thicknesses of twisted silver plated wire, little bells and beads, all worked into little spires and tangles and things. I might bring it along to Birmingham once it's finished, though I may have to wear the thing on the train so it doesn't get squashed...
Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #115
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Oh, my goodness!

Lalwendë, if I saw someone wearing a hat like like that, after my experiences on Brit Rail (Well, mainly from Newcastle to York), I would assume you were part of one of those "hen parties". I saw three of them on the way down, and in fact, when we were leaving York, one of the parties was preparing to return North, so I got up the courage to enquire of them their pursuits. Well, not anything in any great detail mind now, but enough to get the gist of this very English ritual. Will you be having a Middle earth hen as preparation for your wedding with davem?

Hats, of course, are a particularly English form of costume, as I also learnt last summer. I wonder, was there an especially hobbitish form of haberdashery? Or were only the wizards noted for pointy things?
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #116
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
This isn't a movie cap or anything, but it's a really great version of the White Tree.
Thanks Enca! I will consider using that one. Elfwood, eh? I have a good friend (also a Tolkien fan) who has drawings there.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:53 AM   #117
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Lalwendë, if I saw someone wearing a hat like like that, after my experiences on Brit Rail (Well, mainly from Newcastle to York), I would assume you were part of one of those "hen parties". I saw three of them on the way down, and in fact, when we were leaving York, one of the parties was preparing to return North, so I got up the courage to enquire of them their pursuits. Well, not anything in any great detail mind now, but enough to get the gist of this very English ritual. Will you be having a Middle earth hen as preparation for your wedding with davem?

You are a very brave woman. Approaching a hen party is fraught with danger. And it sounds as though these were Geordie girls, which is even more scary. Now seeing as I don't really drink (I can only handle a pint) and I find gangs of party-hungry women truly frightening, then you can safely assume that I shall not be getting up to those kinds of antics.

Oh no, the thingie I've made is rather random and strange, almost as though it had fallen apart and had to be put back together agian, or as though it has been found in an attic, all in bits. It's not the kind of thing a traditional girlie might go in for. At least I hope not... I had to get davem to model it for me so I could see how it looked, and it didn't look girlie on him anyway (he'll kill me now...).
Old 09-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #118
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
I was going to make LotRs joke shirts for people but that requires money... which was what I wanted to get out of the shirts, but that kinda...no-go'ed.

Anyways, I HAVE made one shirt which simply reads: BOROMIR FOR PRESIDENT

Why? Well, I've said it in several other threads when we got a little off track... Who can't admire a man who gets shot repeatedly in the chest but continues to finally die AFTER a deeply moving (nearly five minute) monologe. There was even a debate saying that it was Aragorn's kiss that killed him. ; )
Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #119
Ellewen
Animated Skeleton

Location: Somewhere in the woods looking for a place to recharge my laptop's battery.
Ellewen has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have made a elven-warrior cloak and tunic useing everything else I could find to finish it off. I also just recieved two beautiful cloaks from a friend as a gift. One of which looks EXACTLY like the Fellowship's Lothlorien cloaks. I am making a Gondorian peasant costume though it looks like a pile of fabric now.

- Robin Hood
Ellewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #120
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

This May for my prom a friend of mine helped me make an Arwen dress. It turned out really nice and I love it so!