The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #401
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Hmm.. you've slightly stumped me.

The poem was given to his secretary, Joy Hill, in 1966 as a present. (There's a story around it, about a silver bracelet). So that's the first part, but I'm not sure about the second. The poem was put to music by Donald Swann, for the "The Road Goes Ever On and On 2nd collection" set. (which I own. ) Then it was illustrated as a poster later on. I'm not sure either of those answers are what you're looking for, though. Here's hoping someone has a better memory than me.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #402
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Beren,

You've basically got it... She found the poem between the pages of a book in Tolkien's house. He had forgotten it was there.

Just one comment .....the posters actually came before the Swann revisions. The posters were published in 1974 and the revised Swann later than that.

Glad to see you again lately.... You were close enough and the floor is yours.

~Child
Old 09-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #403
Beren87

Ah, must be age, my memory goes with it. Sorry about that.

Who pointed out the relation between Tolkien's Ring and the Nibelungenlied?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #404
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ake Ohlmarks did so in his introduction to the Swedish translation of LotR; Tolkien wrote in reply to his publisher (Letter 229):
Quote:
Both rings were round, and there the resemblance ceases.
I also find his closing remark very amusing, after he corrects the many wrong "facts" contained in that introduction:
Quote:
Why should I be made an object of fiction while still alive?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:00 PM   #405
Beren87

Esty get is, and even the funny bit for bonus points.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #406
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Who recommended to Stanley Unwin that he publish Leaf by Niggle?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #407
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I'll guess.

Susan Dagnall?

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 09-16-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:14 AM   #408
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry - nice guess, but wrong. Try again!
Old 10-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #409
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Bumping this in the hopes that we might get another hint. But as I recently read a thread begun by none other than our beloved Esty in which she laments 'nothing' posts, I will give this some content and take a guess at the answer to the current poser:

Mrs Unwin?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:17 AM   #410
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sometimes wild guesses come very close, Fordim! It was a member of the family, though not Unwin's wife...
Old 10-11-2004, 05:59 AM   #411
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

His son? His daughter? His estranged uncle who lived in the attic? The cat?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #412
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Son is correct, Fordim - but not Rayner, who is well-known to us as his father's "assistent" for judging children's books. I'd like a name, please; hint - it can be found in the index to the Letters...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 AM   #413
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

David!

In the notes for letter #98 we find out that Sir Stanley's elder son David wrote children's stories under the name David Severn and that he had read LbN in The Dublin Review and suggested it be published in 1945.

I find this so interesting! I had always assumed that any thought of publishing LbN would have been post-Lotr.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #414
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You got it, Fordim! Yes, that is an interesting bit of trivia, isn't it?! Now you get to find something equally interesting...
Old 10-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #415
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Piet Harting and the Professor ate what Fear Factor-type of food together?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #416
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That was "Maggot Soup" - a mushroom soup named after Farmer Maggot, of course. The Dutch hosts didn't know 'all the names of the English vermins', which caused some hilarity. (Letter 206)
Old 10-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #417
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Oh, "of course", is it? "Of Course"! -- too easy, obviously. Next time, Esty I'm going to come up with such a poser, you will never get it. . .

. . .although I suppose that does defeat the purpose somewhat. And I am going to have to get one of my own first, I suppose. . .

You are, OF COURSE, entirely correct.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #418
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The "of course" referred only to the source of the soup's name! Grammar, my dear Fordim, grammar and context! Now for a new question:

The intended and planned sequel to one of Tolkien's stories was not written because the war (WWII) destroyed the countryside. Which story was that?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:47 AM   #419
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ten days are up - does anyone want to give it a try, or shall I post a new one?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:27 AM   #420
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Could you possibly give us a hint where to look?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Tevildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #421
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I found the reference in Carpenter's biography of Tolkien; to narrow it down, it's in the chapter "The Storyteller".
Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #422
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Pipe

Was it Farmer Giles?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:14 AM   #423
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Good for you, Tuor - you got it! Let me give the complete quote from the biography, chapter "The Storyteller":
Quote:
Farmer Giles did not attract much notice at the time of its publication, and it was not until the success of The Lord of the Rings had reflected upon the sales of Tolkien's other books that it reached a wide public. At one time Tolkien considered writing a sequel to it, and he sketched the plot in some detail; it was to concern Giles's son George Worming and a page-boy named Suet, as well as re-introducing Chrysophylax the dragon, and it was to be set in the same countryside as its predecessor. But by 1945 the war had scarred the Oxfordshire landscape that Tolkien lovd so much, and he wrote to his publishers: 'The sequel (to Farmer Giles) is plotted but unwritten, and likely to remain so. The heart has gone out of the Little Kingdom, and the woods and plains are aerodromes and bomb-practice targets.'
Now it's your turn!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #424
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Woo-hoo!

Okay. In what specific way did JRRT indicate a contempt for nazi anti-semitism?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #425
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Are you referring to Tolkien's response to a request concerning a German translation of The Hobbit?

The company Rütten & Loening of Potsdam had written to Allen & Unwin asking if Tolkien was aryan. Letters 29 and 30 recount this situation. Tolkien personally would have refused to give any declaration but thought he should consider his publisher's wishes. Thus, he sent Allen & Unwin two versions of a reply. It appears that Allen & Unwin choose to send the letter where Tolkien refused to make any declaration.

The letters are from July 1938.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #426
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe More information on Tolkien versus the Third Reich

In which the most significant passage on anti-semitism is this one:
Quote:
I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people... the main part of my descent is... purely English... I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war... I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of of pride.

(Letter #30)
There are also several personal attacks on Hitler, of which this is the longest:

Quote:
There is a great deal more force (and truth) than ignorant people imagine in the 'Germanic' ideal. I was much attracted by it as an undergraduate (when Hitler was, I suppose, dabbling in paint and had not heard of it)... I suppose I know better than most what is the truth about this 'Nordic' nonsense. Anyway I have in this war a burning private grudge... against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler [for]... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light.

(Letter #45)
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM   #427
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Both correct. But Bethberry was first, so it looks like it's BBs turn.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #428
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Thank you Tuor of Gondolin and welcome back Squatter (not to be confused with an old American tv show.)

Here's one for the season: What was Tolkien's earliest recollection of Christmas?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #429
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Oo, oo, I think I know this one -- didn't he remember having a variety of South African evergreen as a Christmas tree??
Old 12-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #430
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Dickens in Bloemfontein

You've clearly forgotten about the wildebeest with the pomegranate nose, Fordim. And the sparkly spider decorations for the tree.

Any one else?

Old 12-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #431
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I found a direct statement in Letter 56:
Quote:
My earliest recollection of Christmas is of a blazing hot day.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #432
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Amazing how chat clears up a few stray possibilities.

And written in a letter to Christopher, who was in South Africa at the time. Ironies!

And now Estelyn, I believe you have some work to do...
Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #433
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who was the U.Q.?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #434
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

The "Utter Quack" I believe. A local doctor who Tolkien once said delighted in foretelling fatal illnesses. A nickname used by the Inklings.

And, more precisely, R.E. Harvard, who was both Lewis' and Tolkien's doctor.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 12-03-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #435
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Close, Bb, very close - "Quack" is correct, and the real name is "Havard", which is close enough to count, but what was the "U."?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:27 PM   #436
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Oh, right. "Useless" rather than "utter".
Old 12-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #437
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's it! Now you get to hunt for a new one...
Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #438
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

How did Tolkien once describe an American accent? And what came of the incident?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #439
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Quote:
I found myself in a carriage occupied by an R.A.F. officer ... and a very nice young American Officer, New Englander ... After I told him that his 'accent' sounded to me like English after being wiped over with a dirty sponge, and generally suggested (falsely) to an English observer that, together with American slouch, it indicated a slovenly and ill-disciplined people - well, we got on quite friendly. We had some bad coffee in the refreshment room at Snow Hill, and parted.

Letter #58
Well, I have to admit that he had a point.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #440
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Foul! I cry Foul! (Possibly even Havoc. . .where are my dogs of war?)

This very letter and topic was recently discussed over in the Cellar Door thread.

Harumph, I say - Harumph.

(I woulda got this one, too *sulks*)