The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
PMills

Sting Who's your favorite Hobbit character and why ?

Sorry if this has been discussed here before<BR>(if so, please give links to any previous good discussions on the topic on this forum), but who is your favorite Hobbit character AND WHY ?<P>If you love them all and can't pick one, please offer a couple sentences each, on each main Hobbit character.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourtie hobbit would have to be Pippin, mainly because of his character development; You see him as an innocent and foolish young hobbit, but then also as a much more mature character. Who's your favourite?
Old 09-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That's such a hard question! When I first began to like Lord of the Rings Sam was my overall favorite character, because of his loyalty and bravery. But then I read RotK and Pippin really touched me, he seemed to grow up such a lot but still keep his essence of fun. You could see the change from the 'foolish Took' from the beginning of the book. And then I wrote a fanfiction that had Frodo as one of the main characters, and after that I had a soft spot for him and felt like I 'knew' him better. But I've always loved Merry, he's funny and bright but slightly more responsible and sensible than Pippin, and his loyalty to Theoden and Ewowyn is touching also.<BR>So I honestly can't make a descision. I love them all equally!
Old 09-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
kharank
Animated Skeleton

kharank has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Its so hard to pick from the main hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and Bilbo), that i tend to go for some of the more obscure halflings. What about Fatty Bolger? He stayed behind in Crickhollow, and it promptly got attacked by Black Riders!! Or farmer Maggot? Tom Bombadil held him in very high esteem, and i always wished Tolkein told us a bit more about why...he seemed so rustic at first, but he seemed to have knowledge of other things...cool!!
Old 09-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I LOVE SAM! He's been my favorite ever since I first read TTT. He's just so brave and sweet! <P>Of course I like all the hobbits. They're my favorte race.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:31 AM   #6
GrimaWormtounge

Sting

Sam always seemed boringly sweet to me.<BR>Frodo is the main character, and as such he is the usual well-rounded protagonist.<BR>Merry & Pippin are undoubtedly more interesting.<BR>But Merry is not stupid, and Pippin is. And Dom is hot. So Merry it is.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:45 AM   #7
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

It would have to be Frodo for me. Though I didn't like what PJ or Wood did to him in the movies. I have always connected with the character and I haven't really figured out why. In the books he is stronger than in the movies... I hate that. But I also love Pippin because you can really tell he grows up during the books and hopefully in the movies to!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I honestly cannot choose, I love all hobbits, they are a peaceful folk living in a beautiful place called the Shire.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo is always seemed to be the adult of the four Hobbits and he'll help anyone in a pinch. He remains calm until one of my most favourite parts of RotK on the slopes of Mount Doom where he seems to panic and turns to Sam for help. His hatred for violence and unwillingness to hurt things always struck me as well.<P>Sam is loyal and all that. But he always remembers where he came from and what he's got to be thankful for. He's humble and honors his Gaffer, which is a good thing for anyone to do.<P>Merry is thoughtful and forward thinking. He's smart and good at thinking on the spot. His practicality endears him to me and he fiercely protects his friends.<P>Pippin is forever lighthearted and inquisitive. He thinks quickly and is very perceptive. I always loved and remembered him for standing up to the ruffians in the Shire when they refer to Frodo as "Cock-o-Whoop" and his immediate repentance when he looked into the palantir even when he was scared to just remember it.<P>And lastly, I'll always have a small place in my heart for Robin Smallburrows. He had always wanted to be a Shirriff, but when he became one it was much different from what it should have been. And then he had to run all the way from Frogmorton to the three farthing stone 14 miles! I'd have collapsed from an asthma attack 12 miles before that.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:04 AM   #10
'lijahsgirl

Ring

Hi my fav Hobbit is either Merry, Pippen, or Frodo(personaly, the only reason i like Frodo is because of Elijah Wood) but I like Pippen & Merry for both Their charactors in the movies and for Billy & Dominic. But thats just me!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:15 AM   #11
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite hobbit characters would have to be Merry and Pippin, for their maturation over the course of the books and for their sheer hobbitishness. The books (not to mention the movies) would lack something indeed without the story of their friendship.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:27 AM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But Merry is not stupid, and Pippin is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Don't you <I>dare</I> say that about Pip! He always gets stuck with that label, even though it's not true! If people cannot tell the difference between naivete and stupidity, then they should keep their mouths shut until they do know.<P>Pippin is undoubtedly my favorite hobbit. When I was first reading the books, I was really struck by how much his thoughts mirrored my own; he always seemed to say exactly what I would have in that situation. What most people *ahem* mistake for blatant stupidity is just a lack of experience; Pip is very smart in his own right, just a little naive. His development through the story shows how, though he grows in experience, he still retains his relaxed sort of personality (see "The Grey Havens").<P>So far in the Movies, I have thoroughly approved of the portrayal of Pippin. Billy Boyd plays the character wonderfully well; I am very impressed. I hope the final film shows him just as well.<P>Abedithon le<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #13
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But Merry is not stupid, and Pippin is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Woohoo! You's cruisin' fo' a good case o' whoopa**, <B>GrimaWormtounge</B>! (can I say that? Well, I self-censored it just in case!) And thanks for getting to the punch first, <B>Sapphire_Flame</B>!<P>But seriously now, I don't fault anyone for their opinions; I just happen to be madly in love with Pippin and I believe those who think him stupid just may not have looked closely enough at his character. And I also believe him to be not only intelligent, but foresighted in a unique way! For more information on what I'm talking about, see this thread: <P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002586" TARGET=_blank>Pippin's Sixth Sense</A><P>I don't fault you for tipping the balance towards Merry on Dom's account, either; it is only natural to lean towards those who are pleasing to the eye, brain, etc. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the only reason i like Frodo is because of Elijah Wood) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Strangely enough <B>'lijahsgirl</B>, the only reason I liked Elijah Wood was because of Frodo! (And recently, because of Huck Finn...). I think I like Elijah and Billy so well because Frodo and Pippin are my favorite characters in LOTR; thus, I am more concerned for them in the movies and see more to their portrayals. (For instance, I refuse to believe the popular notion that Elijah's Frodo is a wimp due to the "doe-in-the-headlights" way he is supposed to have been directed to play him--there are plenty of quiet strength moments to movie Frodo, although some of my favorites are left out... ) I also believe that time constraints forced a simpler resolution to the Ents deciding to storm Isengard, and the way Pippin manages to convince them is not canon, but it does illustrate a key maturation element in Pippin's character and contrasts him to Merry, who seemed to be beating against a wall in those scenes. (I felt so bad for Merry!)<P>Anyway, welcome to the Downs, <B>GrimaWormtounge</B> and <B>'lijahsgirl</B>! May your experiences be enriching in this, your grand entry into the world of the dead! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #14
'lijahsgirl

The Eye

Wow Lyta, it seems as if we could really get along. I just felt an instant bonding when I read your words. We should talk sometime, perhaps soon. But anyways, sticking to the topic, I do agree with Sapphire Flame, I think many people don't really understand Pippen the way others do. I would not have said those things that he says out loud, but I sure wish I had the courage to say them. I really hate it when Gandolf shoots Pippen down, such as when (in the movie, The Fellowship of the Ring) they were in the mines, Pippen knocked the corpse down the well, and Gandolf told him to next time throw himself down the well, and rid them all of his foolishness. I really think that was uncalled for. But, then again, it was just a movie, lol! anyways, that was my $.2, catchyalater!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #15
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PippIn.<P>Sorry, spelling maniac here. I agree that Pippin is not stupid. It's strange, but by the way Sam speaks you'd expect him to be the one portrayed as 'stupid' (no offence to any farmers' children out there). Is it the movie's portrayal of Pippin that gains him the the reputation of being less smart than the other three, or merely that he's the youngest?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:17 PM   #16
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

ok, Pippin is not stupid, he's just younger than everyone else, so he acts his age. And Merry is my husband...<BR>It's Merry

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:18 PM   #17
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I just felt an instant bonding when I read your words.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, <B>'lijahsgirl</B>! One of my main ingredients is Superglue (patented, trademark, all rights reserved, offer not valid)! I get along with most people, even the ones who flame people for misspelling Saruman...yes, even them! <P>And <B>dragoneyes</B>, aka <B>spelling maniac</B>! You missed Gandolf (GandAlf) in there! (Sorry...wife of English PhD! Can't help it!) Strangely enough, I find that, as I get older, I get less and less bothered by spelling aberrations, or it could just be that I've incorporated all of them, since I'm dead if I can't misspell a word for an Internet search engine! <P>I also wonder if the "stupid Pippin syndrome" has to do with the fact that Pippin tends to act impulsively with results that are not immediately advantageous. His actions seem to effect a more serendipitous end, i.e. he seems to be a tool of Eru in a sense that his unconscious but well-directed "blunders" turn to ultimate good: i.e. the Palantir, for drawing off attention from Frodo and Sam in Mordor/skewing Sauron's perceptions of the state of Middle Earth and even the small stone in Moria, for it set Gandalf on a path that gives him the power he needs to complete his long quest.<P>Sam, on the other hand, is more worldly in practical ways; he is handy with ropes, cooking, other survival skills. He is also more serious than Pippin, more focused on getting Frodo through the Quest than on allowing the unexpected to affect him or make him grow. Pippin's story is much more a Bildungsroman than Sam's appears to be. Thus, the degree of change would seem to point to Pippin as having been noticeably less mature at the beginning than Sam was. <P>I hope some of that made sense! Bye now!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:31 AM   #18
Shire Flower
Pile O'Bones

Shire Flower has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin - I love his optimism and cheerful nature. A lot of people think he's not very smart, but I disagree. He did some stupid stuff by accident, but it seemed like a good idea to him at the time and he thought of no reason why his actions would endanger others or himself. The quest is all one big adventure for him, an epic hobbit walking-party. I admired Pippin's compassion when he helped Merry to the Houses of Healing after he stabbed the Witch King. Pippin tried to reassure Merry that he was going to live, even though he probably wondered that himself. This scene in the books just seemed so realistic to me. <P>Sam - He's an incredibly loyal and humble guy who loves ale, gardening, animals and stories and tales of adventure. Even though Frodo suffered the most because of fear, depression and the weight of the ring, Sam had it bad too. He had to watch Frodo suffer, and he couldn't do anything about it. He tried his best to encourage Frodo, even though he did not have the ultra cheerful personality of Pippin. He still was an optimist, though, and always held onto a shred of hope that maybe somehow, someway they would get back home, back to their friends, food and the gardens of the Shire.<P>Frodo - He's so horribly noble. Even though prospect of going hundreds of miles away from home on a one-way trip to the most horrible land imaginable terrified him, he was determined to destroy the ring and save Middle Earth, or die trying. He might have repeatedly have said that there was no hope, but he fought his despair and kept going on to the Cracks of Doom. He didn't just give up even though all the odds were horribly against him. I liked his kindness and mercy and the fact he was a bit of a pacifist. He even worried about people he had just met (He thought of Faramir when watching the army go out of the Morgul Vale and wondered if he would be OK). Poor little guy...
Shire Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 05:35 PM   #19
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have trouble choosing one as most of you. For many reasons I think merry jst beats out the others. I personally almost always like those who not so much in the limelight as Frodo is,(though his selflessness and bravory are incredible) I really liked merry's character in the books especially. He was brave and responsible and very loyal to his friends. The movie did cover some of this. Dom wasn't to hard to look at either.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #20
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

My favorite Hobbit is none other than Samwise Gamgee - I love him because of his love and devotion to Frodo as well as his unbreakable spirit, never losing hope when all hope seem lost. Truly Frodo never would have reached Mt. Doom without his Sam at his side!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Thank you, <B>Lyta</B>, and <B>'lijahsgirl</B> for supporting my outrage. I just can't stand people that go around with that "oh-Pippin-was-just-in-the-movies-for-comic-relief" attitude; this just shows their own stupidity over anything else.<P>Oh, and <B>Shire Flower</B>, I very much agree with your description and opinion of Pippin. I commend you. <P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-21-2003, 03:08 PM   #22
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Jack has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

mmm... Merry is cool. But all the hobits are so much better in the books... I like Pippen to. *goes off to think about it*
Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #23
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

*laughing at kitty girl* So you tell EVERYONE on the forum that you are married to MERRY... *dissolves into laughter* sooo funny.... *hehehehehe* <P>I thought about it... Pippen... but then I like Merry to... o boy I don't think I'll be able to deside.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:12 PM   #24
ladyhwi
Newly Deceased

ladyhwi has just left Hobbiton.
I'm so glad to see Merry and Pippin so beloved. In other similar threads they have been almost forgotten. The movie Merry and Pippin are awesome. They both made me smile every time they were on screen. Book Merry and Pippin need more kudos also. Just because they are not always grim faced and brooding does'nt make them less intelligent than some others in the company it just makes them Hobbits.
"I have not seen thy sunny face, Nor heard thy silver laughter: No thought of me shall find a place In thy young life's hereafter- Enough that now thou will not fail To listen to my fairy-tale." Lewis Carroll
ladyhwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:17 PM   #25
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

thats a HARD question. theres no way i could have just one. so i guess i would say all of them. all the hobbits seem like they would be someone you could hangout with any day. their all so different that theres no way you can say i like this one because of this when they all have different qualaties that are different from the others. (thats kinda confusing...im not sure what i just typed)<P><BR>FRODO~was my first favorite hobbit in the books because i have always loved the main character of movies and books. in the movie he was probbally my LEAST favorite hobbit. im not sure why though, he just was. i did like him in the book beacuse he was a trustworthy, cute, fun little hobbit that you couldnt help but fall in love with. he, to me was the poster boy of all hobbits...<P><BR>SAM~was my origional favorite in the movies. he is the most considerate, innocent hobbits i could have ever imagined tolkien writing about. he is jus so cute and chubby you want to go cuddle with him . he was also a true hobbit in the book which made me love him any more. his loyalty to frodo in the toughest situation was amazing to me. it reminds me of how a friend really should be.<P><BR>MERRY~is the 1st half of the goofy hobbits. he brings a certian funny/seriousness to the movie aswell as the books. i love him because he seems as though you could do almost anything with him and still have fun doing it. if you were to be doing the most boring thing you could have fun doing that as well as have a certian amount of seriousness too. i loved him in the movies because he was kinda crazy but also very real. he seems like someone i know but im not sure who <P><BR>PIPPEN~is probbally my current favorite hobbit. he is so cute (mentally and physically) and he is so funny. he is the type of hobbit that could make you laugh about any sort of circumstance. in the books it is pretty cool to see how much of a little ignorant-blissful hobbit he is and what a serious hobbit he turns into. his maturity level is way off the roof.<P>after that small little essay there i think my fingers need a little break <p>[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess ]
Old 10-22-2003, 05:49 PM   #26
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Another spelling fanatic here. For the last time people, his name is PIPPIN! Spell it with me:<P><I><B>P I P P I N</B></I><P>Very good! I knew you could do it! Please spell his name correctly from now on.<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 10-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #27
Jack
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

I now think I will vote Bilbo... because he had a cool dragon adventure and the HOBBIT is such a COOL book... there I'm done now!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:33 PM   #28
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I really can't choose a favorite hobbit, but if I had to, it would be either Frodo or Pippin. I like Sam and Merry a lot, too, just not quite as much. I like Frodo's courage, and his willingness to take the ring to Mordor, when he didn't even know the way! He sacrificed so much! And I really like how he showed pity to Gollum. When I read the books, or watch the movies, I greatly pity Gollum, and can't really sympathize with Sam's anger towards him. When I read the books for the first time last year, I just kept hoping and hoping somehow Gollum would turn out good. He came so close a few times... But anyways, I really like the way Frodo showed im mercy and pitied him.<BR>And I can see myself in Pippin to a degree! He is <I>not</I> stupid, and I don't think he's really foolish either. Maybe a bit careless at times, and he is the youngest member of the Fellowship so there would be a bit of immaturity there. But he grows up through the books. I have the same curiousity that Pippin has, and even told my mom that I found myself in the books! When he's riding with Gandalf, and wants to ask question after question, because he wants to know everything... that's me! And I read part of that thread about Pippin's sixth sense, and could identify with that, too. I at times get a sense of darkness and oppression in certain places, and things seem to affect me more deeply than they do other people. Also, I have the Tookish intrest inadventure. And in the movie, I love Pippin's accent.<BR>Arwen<P>EDIT: ok, I read the whole thread about Pip's sixth sense, and found it very interesting. I do so with people wouldn't refer to Pippin as stupid or an idiot! He certainly isn't! My, this is certainly a long post!<p>[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen1858 ]
Old 10-26-2003, 02:39 PM   #29
Amarthol

Sting

Did anyone say Sam? He would have to be mine...now, takin' nothing away from Frodo, but you have to admit that without Sam he would have foundered early on.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #30
Aradan

Sting

Sam is my favorite charachter. He always encoured Frodo when he thought he could not make it. He is also very brave, like when he fought Shelob.I also have to say i wouldn't fight Shelob because im archnephobic.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #31
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pippin,he's my fave.He's so adorable.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:33 PM   #32
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Welcome to the 'downs, Lindir!!!<BR>Arwen
Old 11-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #33
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have a very hard time deciding between Pippin and Frodo. Pippin is <I>so</I> funny, but Frodo is really nice too.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #34
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Sting

Samwise Gamgee!! He's both my mom's and I favorite hobbit!! Why? Because he was the most faithful and truthful hobbit in the fellowship! He never left Frodo's side, saved him, and protected him from all the evil things as best he could. He even carried the ring for him. Yes Samwise Gamgee is my, really our favorite hobbit!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote