The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #1
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting My Tolkien Research Paper

Hey, I thought some of you might want to read my report I had to write on a classical author (guess who I chose [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). And I got a 98% on it! YAY! I got 2 points off for tiny grammar stuff.

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on January 3, 1892 in Bloemfontein, South Africa. His father's name was Arthur Reuel Tolkien, who had moved there to start a branch of banking, and his mother was Mabel Tolkien. One memorable childhood experience was that Tolkien was bitten by a large tarantula, which later influenced his writing. Soon, on February 15, 1896, his father died from a rheumatic fever. His mother, younger brother Hilary, and himself then moved to the rural town of Sarehole, England, near the city of Birmingham. This small town also influenced his writing and some of his artwork. Then in 1904, Tolkien's mother died of diabetes, which at the time had no cure. Ronald (as he was called) and Hilary were then taken care of by Father Francis Morgan, the priest at the Birmingham Oratory.
Ronald was accepted into King Edward's School, where he mastered Classics, Anglo-Saxon, and Middle English. He also learned Welsh and Finnish. Tolkien began creating his own languages that he called "Elvish". He and some close friends began a club called the T.C.B.S. (or Tea Club, Barrovian Society), named after the barrow store where they held their meetings. At Exeter College, Tolkien majored in Literature and English Language. During World War 1, Tolkien became second lieutenant. Before going to battle, Tolkien married Edith Bratt on March 22, 1916. Ronald survived the Battle of Somme, where two of his three friends were killed. Later he had trench fever and was sent back to England from France.
Three years later, Tolkien became a professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford University, and became known as one of the greatest philologists in the world. By this time, he had already began writing The Silmarillion, a collection of legends of Middle-Earth (an imaginary world that he had created) until his death. In 1918 their first son John was born, in 1920 their second son Michael, in 1924 their third son Christopher, and finally in 1929, Tolkien's daughter Priscilla is born.
In 1933, Professor Tolkien was correcting students' answer booklets, he found that one student had left a page blank in their booklet. Without thinking,
Tolkien wrote on the page: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Realizing what he had written, the professor immediately wondered what a hobbit was, what sort of hole they dwelled in, and why they lived there. He found out that hobytla was an Old English word meaning "hole-builder". Soon, Tolkien was telling stories to his children about a silly little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins, who was only three and a half feet tall, had curly hair on his head and furry feet, and loved to eat mushrooms and smoke his pipe. The tale he told his children
turned into a book called The Hobbit, or There and Back Again. It was published in 1937.
Tolkien once wrote that he himself was very much like a hobbit, which suggests that he himself inspired their creation.

Quote:
I am in fact a hobbit in all but size. I like gardens, trees and unmechanised farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefridgerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible). I do not travel much.
The publisher was so thrilled with The Hobbit that he wanted a sequel. It took Tolkien twelve years to write, but in 1954 the first two parts of Lord of the Rings were published. They were called The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Then in 1955 the final part, Return of the King, was published and available to the public. The books were a huge success, and Tolkien felt burdened with his fame, fortune, and job as a professor. Therefore, he retired in 1959. Edith Tolkien died in 1971, and John Ronald Reuel Tolkien soon died on September 2, 1973 of pneumonia. He left his first work, The Silmarillion, to be published by his son Christopher Tolkien, who published it in 1977.
Many critics praise Tolkien's works, calling them one of the greatest (if not the greatest) works of fantasy of all time. They admire his descriptive writing
style and ability to create moods that perfectly fit the situation being told of. At first, however, some said that "it is essentially a children's book - a children's book which has somehow got out of hand" (Edmund Wilson). Tolkien's books
were one of the first to be considered contemporary fantasy. Soon people realized that the book was fit to be read by teenagers and adults alike.
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien wrote with a lot of detail and some metaphors and personification. He was very good at expressing the mood and atmosphere of any situation without really saying anything cliche, such as, "It was a dark and stormy night." He also has a tendency to write in long sentences. Sometimes he may add a little humor to lighten the mood of the chapter, especially in The Hobbit.

But he remembered that there was bread, surpassing the savour of a fair white loaf to one who is starving; and fruits sweet as wildberries and richer than the tended fruits of gardens; he drained a cup that was filled with a fragrant draught, cool as a clear fountain, golden as a summer afternoon.
~Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1, Chapter 3, Three is Company

If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit, even to Old Took's great-grand-uncle Bullroarer, who was so huge (for a hobbit) that he could ride a horse. He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knock their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit-hole, and in this way the battle was won and the game of Golf invented at the same moment.
~ The Hobbit, Chapter 1, An Unexpected Party

Tolkien's most famous works are The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and the three parts of Lord of the Rings, which are The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. Tolkien never won any awards for his works, but he didn't need an award to know that millions of people around the world love his classic tales. It has been translated into over 40 languages since its publication, including languages like Icelandic and Swedish.
There have been many classics in the world of literature, but no other is
anything like The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. It took J.R.R. Tolkien thirteen years in total to write these books, but it was time well spent.

Bibliography www.tolkiensociety.org/tolkien/biography.html
gollum.usask.ca/tolkien/

NOTE: Maybe he did win some awards, but none that I could find... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] If you want you can post any reports you did in school about Tolkien or LOTR. I had another one I wrote about Samwise, but I lost it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] We had to write about a character that made an important decision and what the results of that decision were, and I wrote about how Sam chose to go with Frodo to Mordor even though it meant certain doom. So, erm, yeah. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Not bad! Not bad at all! That was a well-written paper!

*rummages around to find her paper on the Elves*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thank you very much, Finwe! My teacher doesn't really like how I'm always reading his books when I'm done in class, but she found my paper very good and informative too.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
Old 06-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
My teacher doesn't really like how I'm always reading his books when I'm done in class
I know what you mean. I had the same problem in speech class, so I decided to show her what Tokien (and I) were really made of. I related every one of my speeches to Lord of the Rings in some way, including a speech I had to do on electronic billing. That one was quite funny, and she gave me a 100 percent, even thought I forgot to cite my sources, just because of the clever way I incorporated Tolkien. I congratulate you on your paper and how it introduced your teacher to Tolkien a bit better!
Old 06-14-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I did pretty much the same. In my speech class, we were researching the uses of speeches in inspiring people to do things that they normally wouldn't have done. Naturally, I roleplayed Feanor. I used a little bit of poetic license and crafted a speech that he would have said to the Noldor after the Darkening. I got a 100% on it! Of course I was yelling and screaming like a madman at times (like Feanor would have done).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Very good, but I only have one question...
What's a barrow store?
Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I think it's where they sell wheelbarrows or something, but I'm not sure. Imagine the Barrow-Wight trying to sell Frodo and them a bunch of wheelbarrows... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

It must be some sort of British thing. No wonder I don't understand.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Could it possibly be the Barrow-Downs store?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #10
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yeah, it probably is a British thing. If it's a store that sells coffins or caskets or something, then here in America we'd just call it something like, "the place where they sell coffins". [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I_HATE_LOTR: I suggest that you stop "wasting your time" on the BarrowDowns, in that case. Try something along the lines of... Babysitters' Club?

~Menelien

Edit: BTW, sorry for the off-topic post, guys. I couldn't resist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #12
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just hope that the Almighty BW has the power to ah, remove this negative character from our generally positive site. Is there a complaint thread?

And by the way, Peony, I liked your report. I wish that I was allowed to write on any book... but no, it's all on The Great Gatsby or Stone Angel or Hamlet... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lindril Arvilya ]
Old 06-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #13
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The "character" has been removed.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #14
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Nice paper, I nver knew that JRRT ws a first Lieutenant, a friend of mine is interested in World War I history, I'll have to ask him if he can find out anything about JRRT's regiment.

On barrow-store, I'd imagine that rather than a shop which sells wheelbarrows (not so likely within a school), it was a shed where wheelbarrows were kept, so something of a gardeners' store-room. I wonder if the inspiration for the Gaffer was a gardner at King Edwards school?
Old 06-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Awesome paper. I wish i could have done soemthing like that for a report, but my teachers were comparable to Hitler. We had to do "The effects of Jem's injury on Scout" from To Kill a Mockingbird.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 AM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

At my school, when the 10th graders had a book report where they could choose whatever book they wanted to, many chose LOTR. My sister said when she went into one of the rooms and saw posters that students had made, she saw many for LOTR. Actually last year there was one student in my English class who did LOTR for their report and created a gigantic map of Middle Earth, made out of clay and paper. It was actually quite beautiful and detailed. But none of these projects matched the detail and the information that you need to gather together for a Research paper. Usually for a book report (well at my school at least) you rarely need to gather information about the author.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:48 AM   #17
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I related every one of my speeches to Lord of the Rings in some way, including a speech I had to do on electronic billing.
I've done that before! Well, It was a french project where we had to do a school tour and I incorporated CATS into it somehow...and then there's my poetry...I swear, basically every poem I wrote had SOMETHING to do with luthien tinuviel. Odd. it was sorta subconcious too. Now I only write about myself....
Old 07-06-2003, 09:50 AM   #18
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

About the wheelbarrows. Yes, it would be funny if a bunch of wheelbarrows were trying to buy frodo. Funny, but rather ridiculous, you know what I mean?