The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2003, 12:57 PM   #81
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
*bump*
Old 10-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #82
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Tolkien was referring to a common dislike of what he calls "...meddling with the Primary World, or such small glimpses of it as are familiar to them." He was describing a dislike of fantastic literature on the basis of its failure faithfully to portray the world in which we live: the very "arresting strangeness" which he regarded as a natural advantage of the form.

As one might expect, he says this in his lecture and essay On Fairy-Stories (1939), in which he explores various perceptions of 'fantasy' and challenges the common view that fairy-stories are products of escapism.

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 10-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #83
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Right you are, Old Boy."On Fairie Tales" it is. People dislike fantasy, presuming it to be mere dreaming and hallucination which lack the Art and control of fantasy. In other words, they don't like something which challenges their familiar, preconceived little worlds.

You have the floor. Or the thread. Or the challege. As it may be.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:00 PM   #84
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I take up your cast gage with pleasure, Bethberry. How did 'Beren' meet 'Luthien'?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:13 AM   #85
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

They met, if Carpenter has his facts right, Squatter, at a sort of rooming house for orphans. 37 Duchess Road, Birmingham.

Tolkien's guardian, Father Francis, believed he and his brother were not happy with his Aunt B, and so Father Francis found them lodgings with Mrs. Faulkner, who gave musical soirees which some of the Fathers attended.

On the first floor, beneath the two boys' bedroom, lodged a pretty young orphan girl with some talent at the piano. Edith Bratt.

He was sixteen, she was nineteen. What more need be said?

Bêthberry
Old 10-13-2003, 07:24 AM   #86
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's what I was looking for. Your turn.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #87
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thank-you, Squatter.

Tolkien had a very specific sense of Magic. What was it? (And, to be fair, I should say I am thinking particularly of the Letters here.)
Old 10-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #88
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

In his draft of a letter to Naomi Mitchison (Nr. 155), Tolkien says
Quote:
A difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such.
He adds that magic as used by Gandalf is artistic, not intended to deceive. Is that what you have in mind?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:39 PM   #89
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Good digging! That's not the specific letter I had in mind, but it will do. Here is the passage I was thinking of, from Letter 131 to Milton Waldman (p. 146 in my paperback edition):

Quote:
I have not used 'magic' consistently, and indeed the Elven-queen Galadriel is obliged to reonstrate with the Hobbits on their confused use of the word [ie magic] both for the devices and operations of the Enemy,and for those of the Elves. I have not, because there is not a word for the latter (since all human stories have suffered the same confusion). But the Elves are there (in my tales) to demonstrate the difference. Their 'magic' is Art, delivered from many of its human limitations: more effortless, more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence). And its object is Art not Power, sub-creation not domination and tyrannous re-forming of Creation. The 'Elves' are 'immortal' , at least as far as this world goes: and hence are concerned rather with the griefs and burdens of deathlessness in time and change, than with death. The Enemy in successive forms is always 'naturally' concerned with sheer Domination, and so the Lord of magic and machines; but the problem: that this freightful evil can and does arise from an apparently good root, the desire to benefit the world and others--speedily and according to the benefactor's own plans--is a recurrent motive.
And so, Ms Telcontar, I pass the challenge on to you.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #90
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's a rather straightforward question: Which of Tolkien's children were able to be with him when he died?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-01-2003, 07:03 PM   #91
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My memory might fail me, but I think it was his daughter, Pricilla Anne...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #92
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's half of the right answer, Telchar...
Old 11-02-2003, 09:02 AM   #93
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK - it Might be that someone else can have the other half of the answer because I seriously do not have a clue... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Telchar ]
Old 11-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #94
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, nice try, Telch! Unfortunately not Michael - Carpenter writes in the biography:
Quote:
It so happened that Michael was on holiday in Switzerland and ______ in France...
Two more guesses - good thing Tolkien had only four children, eh?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 08:38 AM   #95
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Michael was on holiday in Switzerland and Christopher in France....but John and Priscilla were able to come down to Bournemouth to be with him. The first reports were optomistic but then a chest infection developed and he died shortly after. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

(I feel a bit guilty trailing in with this at the tail end after Telchar got the first half right......!)
Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 AM   #96
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

All's fair in love and quiz, Child - and welcome to the thread! You're right, of course - we look forward to your question.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #97
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

How about this?

Tolkien began the translation of three medieval poems; part of his work went back as early as the 1920s. These poems were published posthumously in 1975, although Tolkien himself felt they had never been completed to his own satisfaction.

What are the names of the three poems?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #98
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Child,

Would you be referring to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #99
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bethberry,

Whoa! You're fast. That took exactly three minutes! Is that a record?

(Maybe we should give out "prizes".)

You have the floor now....

Child
Old 11-06-2003, 02:21 AM   #100
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's not a record [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 AM   #101
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thank you,Child. I just happened to be online when you posted your challenge, and, well, I do love literature. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now, for the next one:

What position or job did Tolkien hold in the 11th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, "B" company?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:49 AM   #102
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He was commissioned as a second lieutenant.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:01 AM   #103
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Ah, hmm. Esty, I wasn't thinking so much of his rank as what it was he did. Want to try again?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:29 PM   #104
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

He was the battalion signalling officer. Is that what you're looking for?

Carpenter says:
Quote:
...the prospect of dealing with words, messages, and codes was more appealing than the drudgery and responsibility of commanding a platoon. So he learnt Morse code, flag and disc signalling, the transmission of messages by heliograph and lamp, the use of signal-rockets and field-telephones, and even how to handle carrier pigeons...
[ November 07, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 11-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #105
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Indeed, Ms Telcontar, that was what I had in mind. Strikes me as almost cruelly prescient that he would have that job.

Ask on, Estelyn, ask on.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #106
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a nice bit of trivia I discovered - which American president's daughter wrote to Tolkien, asking him for an autograph?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:26 AM   #107
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Anyone care to guess this answer? I know the source isn't quite as common as Carpenter's biography, but it's not difficult - there weren't really that many US presidents with daughters during the 60's! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #108
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

OK - Kennedy's daughter ?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:35 AM   #109
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

nope
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #110
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well then, Nixon's? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 11:19 AM   #111
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Again, I must regretfully answer "no". Keep going! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #112
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Lyndon Johnson's daughter?

(If it's not him, there's only one left [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 11-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #113
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right president - daughter's name? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 12:21 PM   #114
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Luci ?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #115
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Gah, what do I know of US Presidents' daughters?! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to google, I know that he had two daughters, so I'll go for Lucy (Luci?). [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Double Gah! Spent too much time on Google! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Edit 2: Triple Gah! Wrong daughter.

Mind you, I hate to be pedantic, but the original question was:

Quote:
which American president's daughter wrote to Tolkien, asking him for an autograph?
requiring that the President, rather than his daughter be identified. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 11-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #116
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Both wrong - sorry, but even guessing has to produce the correct answer! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #117
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

His other daugher, Ly(i)nda.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #118
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's the one, Beren. Daniel Grotta-Kurska writes in his biography J.R.R.Tolkien, Architect of Middle Earth about the flood of mail that was sent to Tolkien:
Quote:
The letters came from such diverse places as the White House (President Johnson's daughter Lynda Bird asking for an autograph), royalty, composers wishing to set Tolkien's works to music, blind octogenerians, and prisoners.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 AM   #119
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Ah.

What did Tolkien receive from the Queen in '72?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:05 AM   #120
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He recieved the title CBE (= commander of the Order of the British Empire)