The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 01:53 AM   #1
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Middle Earth Riddles: The Terror Continues

This is a continuation of the ME riddles thread; I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, but I tried several times to post replies on the last thread and couldn't see them, so was thinking possibly the thread has gotten overlong or something (or else my computer is messed up...) anyway if it turns out the first thread is working, we can continue posting on there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. For now though, I'll post my answers to the last thread here since the first one isn't accepting them...grrr...

Stephanos, the answer is indeed money - Samwise, I like your answer too, though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. They both fit, certainly.

Raefindel - I'm really sorry to hear about that, it must have been pretty miserable for both you. How old is your daughter? Hope she's mending fast.

Everyone - your riddles are fantastic but my poor brain is far too cleaned out right now to deal with them (working late, have a split shift tomorrow, grrr). Anyway I'll try to make guesses at them tomorrow when I have some sort of brain-wave activity going [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Time for this girl to go to bed.

And for a riddle to christen the (maybe) new thread; here's an old one.

The man who bought it didn't want it.
The man who used it didn't know he was using it.

What is it?

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 04-06-2002, 08:11 AM   #2
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

Thats easy, a coffin
Old 04-06-2002, 08:25 AM   #3
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guessed Coffin too but i've heard that one told differently.......same conclusion though so I guess it doesn't matter [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

OOh good guesses guys! I'm not very good at riddles.

I'm glad you started a new thread Kalimac, I thought it was just me. I was answering Samwise' question about my daughter and thought it was being deleted because it had nothing to do with the thread.

Here's my riddle

I soar without wings
I see without eyes
I've traveled the universe to and fro
I've conquered the world and yet
I've never been anywhere but home.

And thank you all for asking, my daughter is fine now. She had pneumonia, and was hospitalized for 3 days. It ruined our vacation, but I can only say Thank God my husband was there to help me deal with it! It's too hard to do when he's at work.

Sorry for getting personal on this thread. I should have never brought it up to start with, but now that I have, I knew I had better answer your questions all at once and get it over with. I apologize.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Yes, it's a coffin. Your turn.

Still can't think of any answers, except possibly this one: Aragorn Husband of Arwen, is the answer to yours a dream? Since you're not conscious when you dream, and you're "in" the place, but not really.

Raefindel, I think yours has come up before - is it imagination? And I'm glad your daughter is doing better, that must have been really frightening for you. Don't worry about mentioning it; I had nothing wrong with it and doubt that anyone else did. (Besides, if you get to ask about my potential children surely we can ask about your current ones [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ).

Just got back from work so I'm off to take a nap. Hope to catch you guys when I come posting this evening [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yes, Kalimac, it is Imagination. Sorry I should have paid more attention. Didn't realize it had been posted before. There are too many pages to back and check now.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

Thanks so much for starting a new thread, Kalimac!

I figured I'd re-post my riddle for your convenience:

Soft, heavy, or hard:
Found not in a lie
Yet everywhere am I
Shun me and you die...
Soft, heavy, or hard.

And here's a hint:
Think literally and use idioms.

I welcome any and all guesses!
Old 04-06-2002, 05:49 PM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Boy, that's a tough one Nuranar. I'll have to think on that a while. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 05:58 PM   #9
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

Raefindel - I'm sorry, I hadn't meant to sound snarky about the riddle you posted - I don't remember all the riddles on the thread either, the reason I remembered this one was because I liked it so much. Mostly I'd mentioned it to let you know that this was not an unaided deduction on my part [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Nuranar - Thank you, but dear lord. That's a really good riddle. The part that keeps tripping me up is "found not in a lie" otherwise I'd guess that it was water...
Old 04-06-2002, 06:37 PM   #10
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

But, my dear Kalimac, it IS water!!! Way to go! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for the "not found in a lie," that's an approximate way of using the idiom "doesn't hold water." Sorry if that was really confusing.

Thanks, all, for saying it was a good, tough riddle--I made it up myself! It did take a while, though; actually, I thought up the three middle lines while I was in the shower. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well, maybe I'll start working on another. Oh, boy! This is fun!
Old 04-06-2002, 07:50 PM   #11
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn Husband of Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Recapping my riddle:

I am at a place where I have never been, though one has, and one hasn't. What am I doing?

Your only hint, the "I" is me. I post the answer when I think yall give up, or yall say you give up.

Okay, since no one could guess the answer is....walking. Stand up. Put one foot forward, now stop. Notice one foot is in a place where you have never walked (well probably have) and the other is in a place you have. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 08:22 PM   #12
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Whoa....Aragorn Husband of Arwen, I never would have guessed that!
Quote:
"Well, I'm back."
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-06-2002, 09:00 PM   #13
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Sting

Aragorn (can I call you that for short?) that was good. Never would have gotten that one in a hundred threads.

Nuranar - woohoo! Actually the "doesn't hold water" clue makes good sense - just hadn't quite wrapped my mind around all the ways water is used metaphorically. Actually I thought of the answer while I was doing dishes and thinking of how hard the water is here comparatively, and then...

Does anyone have any more? I'm trying to think of another which is slightly sneakier than my previous ones [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-06-2002, 09:44 PM   #14
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

OK, here it is. Hope this one is a little more satisfyingly twisty [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

There are two of them, they are brothers
The second twice as large as the first
To know the second, you must meet the first
Although only the second is ever sought.
Every man meets them.

Who/what are they?

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 04-06-2002, 09:49 PM   #15
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I know this isn't it, but I'm just throwing something out--
Fame and Fortune?
Quote:
"A fair jaw-cracker dwarf language must be! "
~Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 04-06-2002, 09:51 PM   #16
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Sting

No, but you're on the right track [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Do you have a new one? (I've pretty much given up rhyming them for the moment; the grammar was getting too tortured [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ).
Old 04-06-2002, 09:55 PM   #17
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have one, and let's hope I haven't already used it and have such a short memory I don't remember.

What falls but never breaks?
What breaks but never falls? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2002, 09:56 PM   #18
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Ugh...I haven't been feeling really great today--one HAS been bumping around in my head, but I'm not sure of which way to put it.
Quote:
"But I'm beginning to think it's time we got sight of that Fiery Mountain, and saw the end of the Road, so to speak. I thought at first this here Redhorn, or whatever its name is, might be it, till Gimli spoke his peice. "
~Sam Gamgee
Old 04-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #19
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Uh--Silence?

Truth and Justice?

(for the two riddles respectively).
Quote:
It was Sam's turn that day to take the first watch, but Aragorn joined him. The silence grew until even Sam felt it. The occasional movements of his feet became loud noises. Sam could hear his own joints creaking, if he stirred.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:01 PM   #20
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

Oh, Raefindel, it didn't matter at all. And for your riddle I'm going to make a really weird guess, so please don't laugh too hard [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

What falls but never breaks is the mercury in a thermometer.
What breaks but never falls is a fever.

Hey, it sort of works.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:05 PM   #21
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

No, not truth and justice. They're definitely a pair in that vein, though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well - hope it's just one those things that rest and tylenol will take care of...
Old 04-06-2002, 10:05 PM   #22
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
What falls but never breaks?
What breaks but never falls?
Night falls
Day breaks
(Maybe...?)
[QUOTE]Sam looked up into the pale sky, fearing to see hawks or eagles hovering over them with bright unfriendly eyes.
"You do make me feel uncomfortable and
Old 04-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #23
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

It's a little more difficult to explain than that, I'm afraid. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It'll pass, though.
Not truth and justice? Um...
(let me try this quote again)
Quote:
Sam looked up into the pale sky, fearing to see hawks or eagles hovering over them with bright unfriendly eyes.
"You do make me feel uncomfortable and lonesome, Strider! " he said.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:09 PM   #24
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Eye

Night and day sound good...can't think of anything else more likely, actually.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:16 PM   #25
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Ring

Samwise, if you'd like a hint, they both start with the same letter [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. And I do hope you feel better (sorry, I can't think of any other way to put that doesn't sound horribly cliched - could say an ave for you if you wanted, though).
Old 04-06-2002, 10:24 PM   #26
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, you are doing very well for someone who doesn't feel wel, Night and Day it is! Thoug Kalimac's answer was a stroke of genius I thought!

I hope you feel better soon. Your up Samwise.

Hey! Look! I'M A GHOST PRINCE!

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 04-06-2002, 10:32 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Hm....Only thing I can think of at the moment.....

I am strong enough to hold back the sun
yet I can be moved by the touch of a hand

Quote:
Suddenly a low voice murmured:
"Gil-Galad was an elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of Heaven's feild
were mirrored in his silver shield..

But long ago he rode away
and where he dwelleth none can say
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are. "

The others turned in amazement, for the voice was Sam's.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:32 PM   #28
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Sting

Congrats, Raefindel! You're going to have to start thinking up your own title soon, aren't you? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Glad you liked my silly thermometer - no idea where on earth that came from.

Samwise, nice work! [Kalimac gives Samwise a cyber-high five]
Old 04-06-2002, 10:33 PM   #29
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Sting

Samwise - a hat? (or sunscreen, but that doesn't seem so likely).
Old 04-06-2002, 10:37 PM   #30
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Thank you, Kalimac.

Nope, neither of those. Thought it would be easier than that-- OH,WELL. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"That's all I know." stammered Sam, blushing. "I learned it from Mr. Bilbo when I was a lad. "
Old 04-06-2002, 10:40 PM   #31
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Eye

De nada, Samwise [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Somehow I can't get away from the clothing/physical object answers though I've got a distinct feeling they're not right. Maybe a window blind?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #32
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Habla espanol, Kalimac? No es window blind, but es en una ventana. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
"There was a lot more," said Sam, "all about Mordor. I didn't learn that part, it gave me the shivers. "
Old 04-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #33
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Whoa--thought of another--got to write it down before I forget it.

I sit behind glass all day
until a child comes my way
he asks his mother for the key
which he uses to set me free!
But alas! My freedom is vain
It's a good thing I can't feel pain.
Quote:
At that moment Sam came running back from the edge of the dell.
"I don't know what it is," he said, "--but I suddenly felt afraid. I durstn't go outside this dell for any money" I felt that something was creeping up the slope. "
Old 04-06-2002, 10:47 PM   #34
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

You may call me Aragorn for short if you wish.

Okay here you go:
It is happening....
It doesn't happen very often...
Sometimes never...
It is day...
It is night...
At the same time....

What is happening?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:50 PM   #35
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

An eclipse, sir?
Quote:
Sam refused to leave his master. He came and sat, curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:51 PM   #36
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Ring

Samwise, nope, unfortunately, that was one of the languages I didn't take [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] - wish I had, it's awfully useful. (I did a double major in Russian and German, if you'll believe it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. But my fiance lived in PR for six years so I've picked up a phrase or two. Khoroshii otvet! (Russian for "good answer" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]).

Is the answer to your latest riddle a toy tank? (At least if my four-year-old brother is anything to go by, any toy that leaves that tank is in for a rough time).
Old 04-06-2002, 10:52 PM   #37
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Pipe

Aragorn - the thrush knocking on the door on Durin's Day? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (since the sun and moon were in the sky together then...)
Old 04-06-2002, 10:59 PM   #38
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Nope, not a toy tank. (though I'm not sure if you mean one thing or another, it's still neither).
Quote:
"What about the elves?" said Sam, too excited. "Can't we go and see them? "
Old 04-06-2002, 11:01 PM   #39
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Ring

Maybe one of those gumball machines, then? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-06-2002, 11:04 PM   #40
Aragorn Husband of Arwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

You got it Samwise!