User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #41
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Aylwen, 'twould be a great honor for our two characters to team up. You mention your own character's interest in music as well as her knowledge of the places of Middle-Earth. As Liornung is a fiddler as well as a wanderer both these interests are shared by him.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:42 AM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Moved to game thread: title "White Horse Inn"

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-12-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #43
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I think we've got enough to go on now so that we can start putting "first posts" together.

Mellon/Amroth is walking northward as Ædegard, Aylwen, and Talan (if he stays in the picture) look on. (He will break into a run soon and start making some distance, neccessitating pursuit on horseback if anyone hopes to catch him. Depending on how the Rohan team plays it, you could be tracking him for a while! However, since he is not a real elf, but an elf-mind linked via osanwe with a man, Mellon's body will weaken faster than Amroth expects.)

Somehow Word must reach Ravion that a crazy young blacksmith is running northward.

Mellonin and Raefindan will get motivated when Ravion arrives at the Inn.

FYI: I'm realizing that Mellon/Amroth is a bit of an enigma. Mellon/ Amroth was originally intended to be dream-time-travel, and there has been plenty of that (while Mellon was alseep in the Inn), but in addition, Amroth (in the halls of Mandos) is actively using Osanwe during Mellon's waking hours, and Mellon's personality is almost completely overpowered by Amroth's fiery spirit. That's why he keeps acting like an elf (including Osanwe, etc) yet finding that "his" body has strange limitations. Why Amroth considers the body to be his own, I'm a little fuzzy on; I think it has to do with the fact that Mellon was completely immersed in dreams, and took on Amroth's identity anyway. So in that sense, he's not fighting back, and has lost himself under Amroth.

I think I owe this idea in part to Child of the Seveth Age (Sharon/ Cami) who had discussed the loss-of-identity idea with me in regards to both Sindo (In The Fairy Wife) and Frodo in Valinor.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-05-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #44
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Aeron's first post

First Post

Aeron pushed himself against the Inn’s barn, trying to huddle in the shadows. His stomach contorted into a twist of hunger, and he gasped. Cautiously, he peeked around the corner. They have not found me -- yet. He remembered the baying hounds, the sound of tearing cloth as he scampered through the forest like a hunted cony.

A weak smile flitted across his face and he rummaged in his pocket for something: a thing of beauty, a thing of worth, a thing that was priceless. It was a necklace: the chain was fine gold inlayed with beads of pearls. At the end was a scarlet tear: a ruby that hung heavily from the chain. He clenched it in his dirty palm and grinned. He had been careless, and how he was fleeing for his life from the wealthy merchant he had stolen it from. Leaning against the barn, blowing his black bangs from his eyes, he caught sight of a rope stretching from a cottage window to a dying oak. Breeches of varying sizes hung from it, white blouses fluttered listlessly in the whispering breeze.

A keen glint flickered in his brown eyes, and he slipped from the shadows and jogged to the to the clothesline. With a furtive glance, he pulled a pair of trousers and a white, roomy shirt from the line and crept back to the stables. After hiding the clothes in a bundle of straw, he grabbed a wooden bucket and made his way towards a pump. He filled it as fast he could and, with as little sloshing as possible, carried it back to the barn. Tearing his clothes off, he poured the water over him, scrubbing his skin vigorously with his knuckles as he did so. That ought to keep the hounds off my scent… he whispered as he washed the grime from his body. Shivering, his teeth chattering, he changed into the freshly stolen clothes, transferred various belongings from his old clothes to the new, strode back to the line, and replaced his torn, ragged clothes. As soon as he saw they were hanging safely on the line, dangling as if they had been there as long as the others, he wriggled his eyebrows at them, grinning. “You’ll be in good hands now. Some dame will patch them with loving hands and you will no longer have to brave the terror of forest thorns.” With a mocking snicker at his farewell, he strolled lazily down the dirt way, keeping a sharp eye out for a thing to eat.

Whistling a Gondorian marching saw, he observed each passerby minutely. He had never before been the town of Minas Arnor, the Tower of the Sun. He scratched his scalp absently: it itched, as if a million little legs tripped merrily along it. He must remember to have his sister, Gwyllion look at it. Ah, little Gwyll…she would be happy about the necklace and bury it somewhere in the weed ridden yard. Or under the rotten floor boards of their humble hut. He wondered where else she hid his loot -- what she did with it. With a broad smile he shrugged it off. As long as rich merchants strutted the streets of Gondor, they would not starve. As long as farmers raised their chickens and their cows, they would be in no lack for meat or frothing milk. He smiled, chuckling quietly.

He ran is fingers through his hair, scraping the skin with his nails. Narrowing his eyes, he surveyed the fingernail: there was a small mound of dirt and dead skin, but it seemed to be moving…or something (maybe many things) were moving in the mound. With a shrug, he wiped the gunk onto his new trousers and continued on his way. He’d have to find a hat to add to his disguise, just in case one of his pursuer’s had followed him to the Tower of the Sun.

A girl, a basket of crimson roses hanging from her arm, was speaking with a jolly, red faced man. His ruddy cheeks were smudged with flour, and he leaned on a wooden roller. She was sneaking pieces of dough and popping them into her mouth, giggling all the while. Subtly he changed course and drifted towards her, snagging a rose as he passed by.

He laughed and twirled the green stem through his fingers, cleverly avoiding the thorns that protruded from the smooth, slightly knobby surface. A young lad strode quickly by, a simple hat upon his head. It was made of a soft brown material, but it hung low on his brow, as if he was hiding underneath its shadow.

Casually turning around, Aeron leisurely followed the boy down the straight streets of the city and wasn’t too upset when he turned aside at an inn called The Seventh Star. The lad went to a table where there were two others while he himself went to the bar, to see if he could get a bite to eat and mug of ale to drink. As he ate, he kept an eye on the table and the men that sat at it. He could have stolen any number of hats, but that particular hat was just the right shade of brown and it was always more fun and clever to steal from a person than from an establishments who sold hats.

“Your meal will be six pence, young sir,” the serving girl said, her red lips formed in the usual business smile.

Aeron cocked his head at her, rummaged in his pocket, and pulled out a handful of small coin. “Keep the change, lass,” he said as he leaned on the counter and smiled at her.

A flush washed over her pale features, and a light of reality glimmered within the smile. With a neat curtsey and a murmured thank you, she put the money in a drawer and stared at him. The smile had faded, replaced with a slight curve of her lips. Her eyes were wide and round and it was as if she was wondering shy he had given her such a substantial tip.

At the annoyed call of another customer, the girl rushed away, leaving Aeron alone. He watched her out of the corner of his eye, and he saw her leave for the kitchen with an exasperated roll of her eyes. As soon as the hallway had conveniently swallowed her up, Aeron glanced quickly to see if anyone was paying particular attention, jogged his empty cup with his elbow and watched with satisfaction as it clattered to the ground behind the counter. Launching himself over it, he kneeled jerked the door open, and grabbed the pouch of money. With nimble fingers he poured the coins from the pouch into his pocket. From the other pocket, he pulled a handful of pebbles and, with a stifled giggle, put them in the sack. With a gleeful grin, he put the pouch back. Standing up, he made his way near a table where the lad with the nice hat and the others were drinking and chatting. “Just a matter of waiting,” he whispered to himself. Stealing a hat had to be handled with a certain amount of delicacy after all.

If you don't like it, just let me know and I will edit it or whatever.

Cheers!
Istawen

Last edited by Imladris; 03-07-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:12 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I like it.

I think Raefindan and Ravion are going to have their hands full!!

(edit)

By the way, if anyone is still looking for a tune to match "The Lay of Nimrodel", "Jock O' Hazeldean" (in Imladris' sig) is a superb match.

The tune used by "Starlit Jewel" (written by Marion Zimmer Bradley) is also very good.

I think the very best one is on Tolkien Ensemble's "At Dawn In Rivendell", though. If you don't have that one yet, run out & get it, or borrow it. They found a real Legolas to sing it.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-07-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #46
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
First post: Ravion

The back-alleys of Gondor were mottled with small puddles from the last rain. The heavy tread of thick boots punctuated the otherwise quiet atmosphere, which could be construed as either tranquil or gloomy, depending on your disposition. Ravion took it as gloomy.

"Ravion!" The man looked in the direction of the call, and saw a young boy running up to him. "Ravion! Where're you headed? You look like you're in a foul temper." The boy paused. "Can I go with you?"

Ravion raised an eyebrow at the boy, who was, like many of the children who followed Ravion, a street urchin, perhaps an orphan. Ravion didn't ask many questions--in fact, it occurred to him just now that he didn't even know the boy's name. "I'm going to an inn to drink, and you may not come with me," he said. The boy's face fell, but Ravion held firm. "I have had a remarkably long day, boy, and I don't need you hanging off of me with a sad face to make it any longer. Here's some money--now leave me be!" The boy's face lit up as he grabbed the money and ran off. Ravion sighed deeply and continued walking.

He didn't have any clear idea where he was going, just that he was planning to go somewhere and have a drink or two before going to bed. He had told the boy the truth: it had been a long day. He had just gotten back to Gondor from a long journey to the north, past Rohan, where he had heard tell of a small band of orcs. It turned out that the rumour was nothing but that, a rumour, and there were no orcs to be seen. So tired, frustrated, and grumpy, he had returned to Gondor, with nothing but a few tales to tide him over. Odd ones, to be sure, but nothing that could relieve him of the disappointment.

As a 'leftover Ranger', as he put it, a Ranger without much meaningful work left to do after the War, he pursued any word he could pick up about bands of orcs, or any other threat to the safety of Middle-earth. Fortunately for the people of Middle-earth, but somewhat less fortunately for Ravion, word was getting harder and harder to find. It used to be that all you had to do was tilt your head a little and the sound of trouble would fall right into it, but that wasn't true anymore. Now you had to go out and actively look for it. It wasn't like that when his father was alive.

His voice still caught when he spoke of his father. His father, who had fought and died alongside King Elessar, his brother Ranger. His father, who had done more in that one, final battle then Ravion could hope to do in a lifetime, now. Angrily he kicked at a building, stubbing his toe violently and quickly wishing he hadn't been so rash. He bit down hard on his lip, limping on down the street.

What place was this for a Ranger? What world? What was left for a young man who knew nothing but war, when only peace remained? Was there anywhere left to go, any cause left to represent? Was there anything left but bitterness and frustration?

Feeling quite wretched and still very much in pain, Ravion stumbled along. Even from a distance he could feel the warmth and comfort emanating from an inn down the road, drawing him towards it. He needed now more than ever to rest. Perhaps he could check his foot, see if he'd broken anything...maybe get a room, just stay away from his home a while. His empty, sullen, quiet home. There was no life in it, only silence, and that was no way to live.

The Seventh Star, the sign proclaimed, was the name of the inn. A good name, Ravion decided. Promising. It was worth a look, not to mention the fact that it was right there, and he was tired, hungry, thirsty, and in pain. The case for the Seventh Star was getting better and better.

Ravion stepped in and let the warmth that had been promised from down the street seep into his body. He looked around for a moment, then, reassured that there was no danger--he had not yet shaken off his Ranger's first instinct to assume somebody was going to kill him--he went to the bar and ordered a drink.

Maybe tomorrow would be a better day.

Comments? Criticism? Caffienated drinks? Send it my way.
~Orual

Last edited by Orual; 03-08-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1420! LOVE IT!

Orual-- no, no complaints! I like him already. A lot. Looking forward to the rest...

EDIT:

By the way, I'm trying to get a mental picture of each of you as writers and people, so I've been browsing profiles and questionnaires (remember "All About You"? I have very little info on either littlemanpoet or Imladris. If that's how you like it, I don't mean to pry! But if you'd like to add an "All About You" post or whatever that would be good too...

Part of the reason why I'm asking, is that I like to understand where people are coming from morally and spiritually-- mostly so I can avoid offending folks unneccessarily. Also I find it easier to explain what I'm thinking if I understand where others are coming from.

I think I'm formulating an RPG Writers' Questionaire of my own as I write this... (bubble, bubble, simmer...) Sure enough, here it is-- Please note it's totally OPTIONAL... If you do decide to fill it out you can either PM or email anwers-- no need to post 'em here if you don't want to.

optionaloptionaloptionaloptional
AllAboutFriendsOfNimrodel.rtf
optionaloptionaloptionaloptional

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-08-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #48
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien It's nice to know people want to know you...

I considered pasting this to the end of my first post, but then I decided against it. So here it is:

The usual "All About You" questions:

Name (that you go by) : Sonja

Occupation: Student, aka, aspiring writer of fantasy and other genres of interest.

Future Aspirations: Becoming a famous writer, good artist, and living in Europe for three years or so.

Goal in life: See above.

Short term goals: Passing my school subjects *cough* Algebra *cough*

Passion: Writing, reading(when I have the time which seems to be rather scarce of late), thinking up stories and characters...

Hobbies: Er....crocheting sporadically?

Famous for (brag about yourself): Uh...I haven't really done anything that grand....but I haven't broken any bones if that counts.

Fave book: That should be plural so here's a list: LotR, the Prydain Chronicles, Chronicles of Narnia, The Westmark Series, Lord of the Flies, Brave New World, Animal Farm, 1984, The Outsiders, and various others.

Fave movie: Also should be plural: LotR, PotC, Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Blow (No I don't like Johnny Depp... *cough*). Oh, and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Fave sport: Not a big sports fan but I guess soccer is good. And horseback riding.

Fave store: Any good bookstore.

Fave music: A variety: Mozart, Bach, Grieg, Handel, POD, Linkin Park, Oldies, PotC Soundtrack, Peter Pan (2003) soundtrack, and Edward Scissorhands soundtrack.

What you can't stand: Idiots who think they're smart, relatives who are nice to you because of duty and to maintain good appearances in public and hypocrites.

What you plain dislike: Would country music qualify?

Who you admire: I think this one will remain unanswered...

What you most love to do: Write, read, watch good movies, serf the BDs...

Your self-confessed flaws: Selfishness, bad temperment, etc...

What intrigues/fascinates you: Right now it's mental illnesses and phobias (the fact that I have a developing phobia of germs would, naturally, inspire that intrigue). And people intrigue me -- some people at least. I like staring at people's faces, seeing how all the shadows play into making things look 3d, etc.

What scares you: Manipulated children's toys (I couldn't watch Toy Story I because of that), walking alone in a dark street, the feeling of aloness.

Quotation to live by: All what you can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you.

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Loyalty and honesty and one who is not too stuck up to enjoy life.

What do you want most in a teacher? Understanding and patience.

What do you want most in an ally? Willingness to help.

What do you want most in a team-mate? Eagerness and a strategical mind.

What do you want people to remember most about you? That I was somebody who broke the mold...or something. That I was kind and considerate and always willing to be there when you needed it. That I was a good listener...

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: Um...considering that I have five novels or more in the works (I've lost count somewhere along the way) and I haven't finished any of them and since I don't really have time to write short stories, I can't really answer that question. My favourite novel needs to be rewritten again so...but I did write a nice depressing, fatalistic short story called "Turning a Corner" for a writer's workshop that I think is most excellent...

Your favorite character so far: Arielle, Ivy, and Carmen -- two girls from the novel that needs to be rewritten again.

What you plan to write soon: A historical fiction novel, a novel based on a short story or myth or legend that I read somewhere, a science fiction novel, a novel based on the future, a fantasy novel.

What inspires you to write: Music. It's all about the music.

What makes your writing stall: Bad things I've heard/seen/thought. I know it's a stupid reason, but I'm afraid that I'll ruin the story when I'm in such a nasty mood...

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Yes, I get writer's block. I think about my characters, think about the period of time in which I'm writing, listen to some music that puts me in that right mood, try to draw my characters, etc.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Legolas rocks (even before I saw the movie he rocked). I guess Sam and Pippin would also be my favourites, along with Eomer.

What do you like about them? Legolas...well, he's an elf who's a mighty fine shot with a bow. Need I say more? Sam is so...loyal and good and brave (I don't like that he was mean to Smeagol/Gollum, though). And Pippin is just so loveably funny and foolish. I guess they're the people I look up to and I can sort of identify with Pippin.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? When Eowyn and Faramir fall in love and when they kiss on the balcony. Yes. That is my favourite, but there are others too -- many others.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? I suppose Strider being a good guy and the king of Gondor no less and Gandalf coming back from the dead as it were, even though I don't like Gandalf the White.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Must I answer that question? I like to eat, am fairly hot tempered and moody...I guess a mixture of hobbit and dwarf? 0_o

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? The elven race. They are so beautiful and smart and just...so mysterious. Like twilight or moonlight. They live forever, but can only die of a broken heart and wounds. The inherent sorrow that accompanies their race appeals to me.

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? It's a toss up between Rivendell (the last homely house sounds so fun with the singing elves), Lothlorien for it's quiet, mystical, and golden elegance, and Ithilien because...well, we don't really know much about Ithilien now do we?

Where would you want to visit? The Shire just so I can see the hobbits hairy feet, drink their ale, eat five or six times a day *cough*, and so that I can hear them dance and sing. The Hobbits seem like merry folk.

How would you travel? Astride a sable horse's back!

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? My blanket. My blanket that I've had since I was three and is soft and tearing from all the loving it has endured. What can I say: I'm a child at heart.

Last edited by Imladris; 03-08-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #49
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
The Usual Suspects:

Name (that you go by): Just call me Ishm--that is, Orual.

Future Aspirations: Actress/writer/director (I want to be Amber Benson when I grow up)

Goal in life: To be well-respected and loved and successful and, if possible, rich, and to have a wonderful family, and to "live so that when (I) come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry" (Twain).

Short term goals: Graduation?

Passion: Acting, writing, family, music.

Hobbies: Reading, rock climbing, doodling

Famous for (brag about yourself): Being self-deprecating and over-confident at the same time. How's that for a conundrum? That and I have a big vocabulary. Katzenjammer.

Fave book: Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Cheaper by the Dozen, Help! I'm A Prisoner in the Library (because I loved it when I was a kid), Siddhartha

Fave movie: The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Princess Bride, Finding Nemo

Fave sport: Not much of a sports person, but I did watch the Superbowl...does Frisbee count?

Fave store: I'm with Aylwen...music stores. Also, most local stores...big, national chains creep me out. They're so devoid of character.

Fave music: Most alt-rock and punk. blink-182, Third Eye Blind, Staind, Brand New, Switchfoot. But also older stuff, like the Beatles. And I like Jimmy Buffett, but only in small doses.

What you can't stand: Ha ha! Do you have all day? But my number one dislike is disloyalty.

What you plain dislike: Prima donnas, math, and Hummers.

Who you admire: My mother and father for putting up with me my whole life!

What you most love to do: Acting, writing, and spending time with my family.

Your self-confessed flaws: I'm self-deprecating, I'm bossy, I'm tempermental, I'm loud, I'm obsessive, I worry too much...

What intrigues/fascinates you: Anthropology. The study of people is absolutely astounding to me.

What scares you: Roaches, heights, darkness.

Quotation to live by: Just to shake things up from all the solid, inspirational, serious quotes..."Seize the moment, 'cause tomorrow, you might be dead." --Buffy Summers

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Loyalty. Period.

What do you want most in a teacher? I want someone who cares about me specifically, about my needs, and my future.

What do you want most in an ally? Someone who cares about the cause as much as I do.

What do you want most in a team-mate? Well, team-work is always nice, and trustworthiness, but also a sense of individuality: working by himself or herself within the team.

What do you want people to remember most about you? I want people to remember me as somebody who cared, even when it didn't concern me personally...somebody who really wanted to help people, someone who reached out and touched the community. Plus somebody who was 'cool' and friendly and personable.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: An unfinished fantasy novel. Working title: The Dragonlands.

Your favorite character so far: Jules Alrose, a nineteen-year-old boy thrown into the middle of a conflict much bigger than him. He doesn't really understand what's going on, but he knows that he has some part in it, and he's willing to fight for his friends and what he believes in.

What you plan to write soon: I have a couple of stories in the works, and I'm going to try my hand at some poetry.

What inspires you to write: Well, I get these images...just solitary images that develop into stories. Weird, I know...

What makes your writing stall: Knowing where I want to get, but not knowing how to get there.

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? I get writer's block all the time. I overcome it by writing.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? Sam.

What do you like about them? He's the best friend I never had.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? I was bawling my eyes out when Sam had to abandon his pots and pans in Mordor...but I loved it when Sam woke up and realized that it was all over, and that Mr. Frodo was safe, and that he was done.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? Well, I rather liked the Scouring of the Shire, and the fact that Frodo couldn't stay in Middle-earth. Both very sad, but so true to life.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? I'm a Hobbit. Sturdy and not overly inclined to work, but trustworthy and fun. I hope.

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Hobbit. Or maybe a human.

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? The Shire. See a theme here?

Where would you want to visit? Why? I'd want to visit Rohan, because it's a perfect combination of the Shire and Gondor.

How would you travel? By foot with a pony.

Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? My teddy bear, Bob, because I can't sleep without him.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #50
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1420!

Waaaaahoooooo!!! First posts AND replies to the questionnaire!

I am one **LUCKY** gamer; you guys rock. Happy Helen.

c|_|

Orual: caffeinated drink. pretend the mug holds cappucino?? or whatever you like... I like white-mocha-caramel with soymilk... ...you?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #51
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Methinks you should do one too...

Old 03-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Yes'm.

The usual "All About You" questions:
Name (that you go by): Helen
Future Aspirations: stop being a programmer... write or make music or teach instead
Goal in life: To hear the words "Well done good and faithful servant" from God on judgement day.
Short term goals: mark12:30 (Love God with all heart, mind, soul, strength.)
Passion: Seeing God invade everyday life.
Hobbies: Music, writing, hiking... Barrow Downs...
Famous for (brag about yourself): singing and guitar playing.
Fave book: LOTR; George MacDonald's What's Mine's Mine; MacDonald's other fantasy
Fave movie: LOTR; Passion of the Christ; Ben-Hur.
Fave sport: Swimming; rowing; hiking.
Fave store: bookstores and music stores. Oh, and stores that sell elvish earrings and clothes (elf-mart...)
Fave music: Celtic; Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata; Tchaikowski's ballets; mellow Bach.
What you can't stand: Guilt trips.
What you plain dislike: People that hand out guilt trips like they are God's Will.
Who you admire: My aunt the nun. Mel Gibson. Tolkien. Frodo. Aragorn and Eomer.
What you most love to do: (blush) read good reviews about my writing...
Your self-confessed flaws: procrastination and laziness.
What intrigues/fascinates you: not my job, that's for sure.
What scares you: Being stuck at my job for another twenty years.
Quotation to live by: "We'll muddle through somehow."

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend: Compassion and mercy.
What do you want most in a teacher: patience
What do you want most in an ally: loyalty
What do you want most in a team-mate: love of God and desire to serve Him
What do you want people to remember most about you: Hopefully that I helped them love God more

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: "The Fairy Wife".
Your favorite character so far: Bolco; and Lindo.
What you plan to write soon: I'd like to do a screenplay.
What inspires you to write: Usually one-liners or intriguing questions... God, bottom line.
What makes your writing stall: A sense of boredom or futility.
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it: I hear that journalling (stream of consciousness) is good. But I suspect prayer is better.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s): Frodo; Aragorn; Eomer.
What do you like about them: Frodo-- Sensitivity and depth (he's both profound and funny.) Aragorn-- purity of heart and motive, and he's funny too. Eomer-- loyalty and humor.
Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy: Eomer's song at Pelennor (out of doubt...); Sam's song in Cirith Ungol; his embrace of Frodo in the tower; his visions of Frodo shining.
Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy: Gollum's near-repentance as Sam holds Frodo asleep.
Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why: Eh... probably some nondescript race south of Gondor that doesn't come to the battle when called... I've been too lackadaisical lately about many things.
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why: Silvan elves, because they're woodsy and natural and artistic (and musical) without being stuck on themselves.
What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why: Hmmmmm.... Ered Luin, maybe. Remote from all the fuss, but still elvish (and so, musical) and it has woods and the ocean and mountains all at the same time. Or-- Evendim, it's near the Shire but also has water and hills.
Where would you want to visit & Why: Rivendell (elves! Music! Dancing on the riverbank!) Lorien (Elves! Music! Dancing!) Gildor's camping area (Elves! Music! Dancing!) Thranduils' halls (Elves... you get the picture...)
How would you travel: With elves if I could; with hobbits if I could; I'd bring a horse to ride or pack; and hopefully I wouldn't have to shoot and skin critters. Ick.
Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why: Pennywhistle. Maybe a tiny harp. ...live without music? Not.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 AM   #53
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Greetings and Salutations

This is my checking in with the thread. I am working on a bio for a Lorien Elf, and I'm very excited about this game.

I do want to toss around some ideas about my character's role. I had planned for him to be a border guard that would find the characters as they come near the forest, however, Helen suggested two ideas about his either having been a loyal servant, or at least a friend, of Amroth, so he would recognize the Amroth's thoughts, OR his being a personal enemy of Amroth who maybe loved and lost Nimrodel. Oh, the intrigue. I need to think about this a bit more, but I was wondering what exactly Amroth/Mellondu will do in Lorien, so I will understand my character's role in the action a bit better.

I may fill the survey out afterwhile...we'll see.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #54
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Alaklondewen had contacted me about her interest in playing a Lorien elf (Hurray!) and I am delighted to have her on board! Please join me in welcoming her to our little band of adventurers...

Alaklondewen, one of the reasons I like the idea of Amroth and your character already having made osanwe contact is that you could begin writing now, and not have to wait til Mellon and Ædegard arrive at Lorien.

I had planned on having Mellon proceed straight to the falls of Nimrodel, search the area (obviously not finding her) and then proceed into Lorien to ask the first border-guard he found. Said border-guard replies "She departed for the Havens long ago" and points southward towards Belfalas; Mellon/Amroth understands immediately and sets off.

That border guard need not be your character. Your elf could stand there and argue with him, or meet him later and get the news and give chase, or ... whatever you like.

Glad to have you on board! If you need/want to toss ideas around, please do!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #55
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Helen,
To repeat what Aylwen said our first posts are on the way. It's quite necessary for me to do mine and post it before she can do her own, so she's waiting on me. I hope to have it finished quite soon.

As for the survey, here you are:

Name (that you go by): Generally my first name, which I shall not mention, but other times Nurumaiel
Occupation: I don’t like to consider anything I do as work, but sometimes I sing, sometimes I play music, and occasionally I’ll take the stage.
Future Aspirations: I really want nothing in life save perhaps going back home to my river again. Indeed it isn’t even Heaven I look forward to, for what I want is to have served God in the way that pleases Him [b]regardless of what happens to me.
Goal in life: Just that… to serve God as He wishes regardless of anything that may come of it.
Short term goals: I’d like to go on a grand hunt to find old ballads and songs that I don’t already know… like I said earlier I’d like to go home to my river and live there till the day I die.
Passion: That is a bit of a strong word. I love dearest my Lord and then my Lady, sweet Mother Mary.
Hobbies: Singing, I do suppose. I enjoy acting... on the stage... I enjoy learning songs and stories that I don’t know, and I love to ramble out and away when evening approaches.
Famous for (brag about yourself): I don’t know if I’d like to be famous, but I particularly enjoy being famous amongst dear friends and relatives because they like me. I suppose the tin whistle might count for something, though.
Fave book: I don’t think I need say Lord of the Rings? Fabiola is excellent, as are the books by Father Finn. I don’t see a favorite play category so I’ll slip Shakespeare into this one... and others, though I just can’t seem to recall right now...
Fave movie: Again, Lord of the Rings is a given. I also very much loved Seven Samurai. And Throne of Blood was very good, too. I haven’t seen the Passion movie yet but while I don’t think I’ll enjoy it very much I also don’t think it could make me a worse Catholic. I also have high hopes for the movie Thérèse.
Fave sport: Probably football… it runs in the family.
Fave store: Bookstores are fine, and music stores are also fine, though nowadays the selection of really good music is very limited.
Fave music: Irish music/songs, I suppose. I can’t really help it. I grew up with it. I really hate to go into this subject because it’s been a long-lasting joke amongst my brothers and I to, when we’re asked to state our favorite music, compliment ourselves.
What you can't stand: see below
What you plain dislike: Abortion. The majority (not all) of singers nowadays. I hesitate to call it music.
Who you admire: I do admire most of the saints, in particular the early Church martyrs
What you most love to do: See ‘Hobbies’
Your self-confessed flaws: I often become too homesick... but as for real flaws? I don’t like to take anything seriously. If I can’t make it fun I don’t like to do it. I have a rather quick temper and am often impatient. In fact, let me put it this way: I have so many faults that it would take pages to write them all down... I’m not very good.
What intrigues/fascinates you: the saints. It never ceases to amaze me what they’re willing to go through for Christ.
What scares you: I’m often tempted to be afraid of things but I try my utmost to fear nothing but falling into sin.
Quotation to live by: There are so many I can’t even begin. One that particularly struck my fancy, however, was that the greatest honor to any man is to suffer for Christ...

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend? This is difficult to say. I hate to say a friend that’s Catholic, because some of my best friends aren’t, but perhaps it would be safe to say that what I want most is a friend who would at least make a wonderful Catholic?
What do you want most in a teacher? see above
What do you want most in an ally? see above
What do you want most in a team-mate? see above
What do you want people to remember most about you? I might like it better if no one remembered me at all, but I would accept people remembering me as long as I hadn’t lived my life so they would, but I had lived my life for God.

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: I haven’t finished any yet, so I can’t say.
Your favorite character so far: I love them all, I truly do
What you plan to write soon: A historical book, either about the early Church times during the persecutions or perhaps the potato famine.
What inspires you to write: Everything inspires me to write. Something someone says or does; majestic cliffs rising over the sea; a song of love and heroes and battle... anything.
What makes your writing stall: The desire to stop writing in fear that someone might not like that I’m a Catholic and that my views are Catholic, though that’s easily dealt with. And, of course, when a certain little hobbit in the family goes to the hospital...
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? I do get writer’s block, and often. What I always do is act out the scenes from my book. Generally I still have the ideas, I just don’t want/don’t know how to write them down on paper. I’ll get simple props (sticks as swords, etc.) and act it out by myself or with others until I get myself excited and willing to write again.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)? I do like them all. Save, of course, those evil ones.
What do you like about them? If I’m to be bold, I love them because Tolkien was Roman Catholic and that shines out so clearly in his characters to my eyes.
Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? I did enjoy it all. In all truth I cannot think of any specific moment that was my favorite of favorites, just as I can’t pick out for anyone my favorite song.
Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? As a writer I have to like them all.
Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Perhaps a hobbit... I love to sing, to dance, to simply have a wonderful time, and to look out a window and see a little town with wonderful people and a sweet river pleases me more than looking out to see majestic castles and armies... well, actually, just armies. I like to look out and see all that I mentioned with the addition of a majestic castle.
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Any race that doesn’t live forever, can travel but still have a lovely home to return to, and most importantly enjoys singing and playing music and telling grand old tales.
What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? I wouldn’t like to live in Middle-earth. I know that’s rather... er... horrid to say such a thing. But, you see, the Shire may have green grass and lovely rivers and friendly, kind people, and the other lands of Middle-earth may have majestic castles, but none of them can compare with my lovely river and friendly, kind people and majestic castle and everything else.
Where would you want to visit? Why? Visiting is a different matter. I like to go exploring. Everywhere, I suppose. It might be nice to even get a peek of Mordor in the sense that I can then say I did. ‘Tis like the hideous rollercoasters you don’t necessarily want to ride but you want to have ridden them.
How would you travel? On foot, with a horse and a dog, and my family.
Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? A certain tin whistle is because I can’t even begin to imagine how lonely I’d be without it. And not just any tin whistle, but a very special tin whistle that I’ve grown very attached to. I’d also bring my hat from Donegal so I could tuck my hair up into it and out of my face when it gets annoying.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuru, the thought ofyou acting out your stories makes me smile. You are such a sweetie.

If you don't mind my asking, and I mean it this way-- what qualities are you looking for in a friend that you think of in terms of "would make a good catholic"? Are you thinking virtues (which ones: I've often wondered what the official list is, do you know?), faith, prayer life, ... love of what's holy? Appreciation of beauty? Respect and admiration for holiness in people? Interest in the sacraments?

Goodness, Nuru, now that you brought it up, I'm really quite curious. Can you put it in terms of Tolkien and what he was like, or in terms of his characters? Are any of them "perfect examples", such as Sam or Strider or someone else...? And why? Which Tolkien character would be most at home in your church and why?

Wow, this is a fascinating idea.

Thanks for posting, Nuru, and I'm looking forward to your writing very much.

Oh, wait, one more thing. Can you tell me more about that tinwhistle? What is its story?

Fair's fair: my favorite pennywhistle is a Generation D, in good shape, nickel; only a few toothmarks on the blue mouthpeice. I have another, a nickel & blue Generation G (they're so little! ) that I've had for... hmmm.... since I was a -- sophomore? No, wait, freshman in college-- 1980. So that pennywhistle is 24 years old. It actually has slight wrinkles in the pipe where it has gotten bent-- somehow. Probably from being in a suitcase.

(I also bought an Oak D, black mouthpeice. I like giving whistles away, but I gave away my first Generation D and regretted it. The one I have now is a replacement. So I keep a spare.)

I'm amazed (and can you tell I'm happily excited?) about this team that has assembled. Eru is very, very good. Awesome. Totally awesome.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-09-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #57
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"Nurumaiel The Alternately Bold And Shy" sent me a PM with lovely answers to all my questions. I'm in the process of begging her to post them here, but she's off researching characters in Tolkien and what their virtues are. No wonder I love her so much.

I was right about the tin-whistle; she says it doesn't have much of a story, but I lovingly disagree. I think it's a sweet story although short.

We seem to have quite a few minstrels here! Guitars, piano, violin, flute, whistle, voice...! Maybe we should find sheet music for "The Lay of Nimrodel". Anyone interested? Oooo! Wouldn't it be fun to have musical sound bites to go with this story!

I wonder if I could mount them on my website and we could link to them in the story. No bandwidth issues that way. Hmmm, hmmmm....

Looking forward to hearing from each of you again....

:wanders off, humming and singing:

[b](edit)[b]

Nuru never got around to posting her responses here-- and I just found them in my PM log. So I'll quote them below. Is she Irish, or what! Love it! No wonder she writes peppy tunes.
Quote:
I really know of no official list of what 'makes a good Catholic,' so to say, but above all things love of God, for if one truly does love Him then everything else will slip into place. Indeed I've heard that the simple and only way to become a saint is to love God, for if one really loved Him they would try their utmost to refrain from sin and do naught but to please Him which would, naturally, make them saints if they persevered.

Humility, charity, purity, meekness, love, kindness, and so on and so forth are all virtues which Catholics try to practice, and many's the one I've heard making sore complaint about how hard it is to remember to be all those things at once. But as I already mentioned, 'love God with all heart, mind, soul, and strength' and everything else will come naturally.

I have a fancy to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy again and jot down the characters' virtues, etc. and then again what they lack and learn more about it myself. I've never thought of it in specific terms but now you've made me quite interested.

As for my tin whistle, nothing special was ever of it only that it's the only tin whistle I've ever played and it's been around for ages. One grows rather attached to such things, I suppose, and it does play a sweet melody. The black mouthpiece, however, is quite riddled with teeth marks and beginning to crack. I fear in moments of frustration when composing music I have ground my teeth, quite forgetting to take the tin whistle out of my mouth first. There's actually a little hole in the mouthpiece that makes the music wisp when you play the higher octave if you don't play in a certain way. I don't think I could compile a list of all the places this tin whistle has been..... I take it everywhere, regardless of whether I play or not. Much easier than trying to find room in the crowded car for a guitar or a safe place for a fragile fiddle. And with a dreamy expression on my face, I wonder if some day I'll be able to purchase my very own concertina.....

I don't quite know how old my tin whistle is, for it was my father who purchased it. In truth, it isn't mine yet for it's still his, but I like to refer to it as 'mine' as in 'my friend.' I'm often laughed at for calling an instrument my friend but in all truth I don't know what other name to give an instrument that comforts me in such loneliness, laughs, sings, and all other things with me!

Must run now. I'm eager to look more into the subject of Tolkien's characters and their morals.

God bless ye!
~Nuru

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-15-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #58
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

for the record...

Maybe an explanation of my purpose behind these questionaires would be appropriate, since posting a questionnaire (with answers) is a very unusual thing to do in an RPG discussion thread.

So, is it appropriate to an RPG discussion thread? I think it is, especially here. There are fewer rules in Gondor, and the success of the RPG depends on goodwill and mutual understanding, and the ability to work together. The better we understand each other, the better we can work together; at least, that is my hope and my plan...

We are writing about "Friends of Nimrodel" who will incidentally become friends with each other. What we value as important in life and in friendships will no doubt surface in our writing, and I think that's a good thing.

It will be interesting when we finish the RPG, to look back, and look at what our priorities were, and whether that impacted our writing, or even the other way around: if our values were impacted, deepened, expanded, or elaborated on by our writing; and especially, if our values were affected (impacted, deepened, expanded, or elaborated) by each other as we wrote.

So my short-term goals are: understanding what each of us values, especially in terms of friendship, writing, and priorities; but also just understanding who we are as individuals, so that we can write together-- and also just plain be nice to each other.

So.. hence the questionnaire. It was an odd thing for a gameowner to do-- but I'm glad I've learned all this stuff; I'm more confident that we'll be able to iron out wrinkles as they surface.

And I think it highlights that Eru has assembled a good team. (Didn't I say that already?)
Old 03-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #59
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuru, Aylwen, littlmanpoet, and anyone else thinking about participating on hthe Rohan side, please read the edited White Horse chapter (above the questionnaires.) Does it work for you all?

"Eothain" was an impulsive substitute for Talan (Daniel Telcontar's character.) If anyone likes Eothain (I sort of do, but I have enough characters!) he can be carried along / adopted/ adapted....

If it's OK I'll ut it back in the game thread, so let me know.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #60
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Just a few clarifications

Alright, the game will take place around year 12 of the Fourth Age. Galadriel has left, I know, but is Celeborn still Lord of the forest? I was thinking that there probably aren't many fair folk left in Lorien by this time, but someone must be there for Erebemlin (my char ) to be guarding the border. Also if he is to follow or accompany Amroth/Mellondu, which I think once he sees his master again he will not be able to stay behind, he will not leave his position without the permission of the appropriate authority.

I think this is important to the details in my bio, that's why I'm asking before posting. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1420!

Alak: very good point. Serious kudos, o ye defender of the canon...

Here's what I found regarding Celeborn's departure:

Appendix B: "After the passing of Galadriel in a few years Celeborn grew weary of his realm and went to Imladris to dwell with the sons of Elrond. In the Greenwood the silvan elves remained untroubled, but in Lorien there lingered sadlyonly a few of its former people, and there was no longer light or song in Caras Galadhon."

So if you think it makes more sense, your character could be "lingering" instead of "guarding."

Good work.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-11-2004 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #62
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Thank you, Helen. I will certainly take "defender of the canon..." as a compliment.

Here is a draft of sorts for Erebemlin...I am still developing his personality, so that will change and grow as we progress in creating the story.

~*~*~*~

NAME: Erebemlin

RACE: Sindarin

APPEARANCE: Erebemlin’s golden hair hangs without curl or wave midway down his back. He keeps two braids, one on either side of his face, and ties a leather band around the rest to hold in position. The ellon has a large presence with a height of close to 7’, broad shoulders, and thick legs. His eyes, which are clearer than blue, confidently gaze down the long narrow nose that shadows his thin lips. Although it rarely does so, when his mouth curls into a smile it covers the width of his face. Often when one sees this rare occurrence, one cannot help but stare.

PERSONALITY: Erebemlin can easily be described as somber. He does not speak negatively without reason; rather he rarely speaks at all. Others have often been offended by Erebemlin for he does not laugh to be courteous. So many stories and anecdotes have been lost on this ellon.

Erebemlin has always found it difficult to show affection, and strong emotions make him feel uncomfortable. This does not mean he doesn’t feel strongly about certain people or situations, rather he sees the feelings as a weakness.

HISTORY: Erebemlin was still very young when the last Alliance between Elves and Men was formed, and he remembers the air of uncertainty that filled the forest during the next several years. A clear picture still remains in his mind of the day his father followed Gil-Galad to Imladris, and how he never returned. Tumegil, Erebemlin’s father, was slain in the Battle of Dagorlad alongside King Amdír.

When Amroth took his father's place as King of the Forest, Erebemlin felt a strong connection with the new King, since they had both lost their fathers. It was at this time the young Erebemlin swore an allegiance to Amroth. He was 25. As soon as he had permission, the young ellon began training and learning the ways of the Tirith. He was finally allowed to join the guard as a squire. Throughout the years Erebemlin strived to do his best in every position his held until he was finally given the title of Silmaethor (Shining Warrior). Taking his status seriously, Erebemlin was known for his “no nonsense” approach. Erebemlin served his King with every ounce of his being, and although he may not have realized it, he looked to Amroth as a father.

When Amroth left for Valinor, Erebemlin grieved silently and bitterly. Part of him wanted to follow his master; however the forest still needed him. His service was respected by Galadriel and Celeborn also, and when they departed soon after the War of the Ring, Erebemlin was soon one of the few that lingered in Lorien. He saw himself as a protector of the forest. He knew the mountains were not rid of the nasty Orcs, and he would not leave Middle Earth knowing Lorien could be taken by those despicable creatures.

~*~*~*~

I am open to suggestions, and if anything needs to be changed, I will do it.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #63
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Alak--

Fun! Especially since Mellon is a young (17-year-old) blacksmith of only average height, or a little less... Somehow I picture him at 5'9, maybe 5'10.

What does Erebemlin mean? I find Ereb is lonely, and lin is pool or mere; em is what? And which syllable is the accent on? (It fights me, like Celeborn and Celebrimbor.)

Wow, he's **really** tall even for an elf... From what I ran across last night looking for Celeborn's departure date, Galadriel was tall at 6' 4". So Erebemlin is Seriously Tall. Will he accept nicknames like Halad (tall) and Mindon or Minas (Tower)?

An elf who rarely smiles-- also very unusual. Will you develop that? He's had an entire age, since Gil-Galad (three thousand years plus plus) of living in Lorien, and he doesn't smile. ....Tough guy? Does he laugh?

....ellon = male elf. Got it.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:48 AM   #64
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Yes, he is "seriously tall". He is an intimidating figure, for sure. I think he would allow a nickname, but he would most likely just look at whoever said it without a real reaction.

Erebemlin means Lonely Bird...accent on Er- and -em-. I see him as someone who has been lonely since his father died, and he has tried to fill that space with his loyalty to Amroth and Lorien.

I most certainly plan to develop his character, and use his non-smiling nature in the game. I'm sure he may smile on occasion...a rare occasion. It may be something where he has been with Mellon/Amroth on the road for some time, and something humorous is said or happens, and Erebemlin actually smiles or jokes and everyone stops and stares in shock.

If you think he's too serious, I can work on it. However, I want him to be intense.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #65
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Oh, intense is good. There will be a LOT of intensity in the Rohan-based troop-- Amroth; Ædegard; Liornung the introspective fiddler; and now adding Erebemlin to them... Bellyn the mapmaker will be the only cheerful one among them... will she go stir-crazy?

Good stuff. Looking forward to the strange forest-meeting already...!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #66
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Progress summary:

Normally Gondor doesn't require bio's and first posts; however, they are handy tools and you're all used to doing them. So since that's the pattern that works, we'll use it. lmp's first posts are already up (since he was working with the characters in all three of the Inns...) He's ready.

Actually-- like lmp, my first posts aren't a problem, but-- I'm the only one who hasn't posted bios on this thread! Guess I should do that! I will write bios for Mellonin and for Mellondu (Mellon/Amroth).

Except for Mellonin's bio (Helen blushes) the entire 'Tirith Team' looks ready to me; am I right about that?

I just posted the White Horse Inn section on the game thread to give the 'Rohan Clan' a bit of a boost. (Me, too.)

MINAS TIRITH:

mark12_30:
Mellonin: Bio and First post. Ready.

lmp:
Raefindan: Bio and beyond First post. Ready.

Imladris:
Aeron: Bio and First post. Ready.
Gwyllion: Bio.

Orual:
Ravion: Bio and First Post. Ready.

ROHAN:

mark12_30:
Mellondu/Amroth: Bio and First post. Ready.

lmp:
Ædegard: Bio. First Post already incorporated; active.

Nuru:
Liornung: Bio and first post. Ready.

Aylwen:
Bellyn (Bella): Bio. EDIT: and first post-- READY!!

WOOO HOOOO!!! (as of 3-19)

LORIEN:

Alaklondewen:
Erebemlin: Bio.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-19-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #67
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up Quick Question

I'm looking at a map right now, and I'm wondering which path Amroth/Mellon will be taking. Will he follow the mountains from Edoras and go through Fangorn to meet Nimrodel from due south, or will he cross the plains where he might follow the Entwash and go around Fangorn coming to the South Eastern Border of Lorien before getting to the River? Or is there a completely different way he will come?

I was thinking about either having Erebemlin do something, such as kill a stray Orc and burn its body, that the travellers would see from afar. This would just tie them together before they actually meet.

If Amroth were to come to the forest first, Erebemlin could tell him Nimrodel has been long departed, but Amroth doesn't want to listen to him still having a hope of finding her there. An argument follows and Erebemlin ends up accompanying them to the falls to prove a point maybe.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #68
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Alak, I think Amroth would go due north from Edoras, which would put him on the east edge of Fangorn; skirt the eastern edge of Fangorn; then when he gets to t he northeast corner (where the river Limlight exits the forest) he would turn north-north-west (call it 345 degree bearing) and go straight to the falls of Himrodel.

He has two reasons for skirting Fangorn; one, it's slow to travel in; and two, he found Nimrodel on the borders of Fangorn once before when she fled from the Durin's Bane chaos. He'll skim Fangorn's border, keeping an eye out for her.

However, he will be searching mentally as well as physically, scanning the forests (borh Fangorn and Lorien) for her mind, via Osanwe. I would expect Erebemlin to sense that.

(Nimrodel closed her mind long ago in despair, according to our story, and is lingering still in the Paths of the Dead... effectively sheilded from Amroth's searching, as she has been the past thousand years.)

I need to get those bios up! One thing is taht Amroth thinks his "swim" was only a few weeks ago, not a thousand years ago. ONe of the conditions for his return was that he could tell no one of his stay in the halls of Mandos. So he agreed to forget about the last thousand years (or they wouldn't have let him come back.)

I'll try to get those bios up tomorrow during lunch break. The weekend was crazy (but excellent.)

Love ya'll-- Helen
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #69
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

BIO FOR MELLONIN AND MELLONDU

Finduilas and Fingon are the daughter and son of a once-noble famiy in Minas Tirith. Their family is now financially reduced to servant-class, and the children shy away from using their noble names, preferring their nicknames of Mellonin and Mellondu (Lightlove and Darklove, referring to their normal moods-- the girl often cheerful, the boy often moody and despondent.)

Mellonin was apprenticed as a household servant at age fifteen. She is now twenty years old and has been employed in that house for five years. Mellondu was apprenticed as a blacksmith two years ago at age fifteen and is now seventeen years of age.

They are both slender and slightly under average height, darkhaired, and grey-eyed. In normal servant's attire neither would stand out in a crowd, but both are pleasantly attractive when well-groomed. Mellonin's arms are muscular for a girl's, and Mellondu's arms are strangely wiry and slender for a blacksmith's. Both have heavily calloused servant's hands. They resemble each other very closely, so that when well-groomed, Mellonin is a handsome girl and Mellondu is a beautiful boy. Mellonin can comfortably wear Mellondu's clothes.

Mellonin is normally high-spirited and cheerful when happy, feistly and petulant when annoyed or challenged. She has learned to quell this (with some difficulty) and be submissive to those in the wealthier classes, but she will not hesitate to argue with someone she considers an equal. She is uneducated with the sense of inferiority that can bring. She enjoys singing and learns whatever songs she can, and teaches them to her brother; her voice is low for a woman, his voice is high for a man, and when singing in unison they can hardly be told apart.

Mellondu is normally softspoken, shy, withdrawn and dreamy, disliking arguments of any kind, and is used to doing what his sister suggests. He has no problem submitting to authority, and if he is unhappy with the present moment he escapes to his own dream-world. Being slender he is self-conscious that the other blacksmiths are twice his size. While he wants to be good at what he does, and is respected by those around him, he feels out of place in his profession. But he is disinclined to say so.

He cheers up out of doors and around children, and prefers wilderness to the city. He loves old songs and legends, is a bit of a romantic, and would love to go exploring if he could afford it (and had his freedom.) He loves Inns, will listen to anyone sing, and music of any kind entrances him.

AMROTH

After drowing in his attempt to return to Nimrodel, Amroth awakens in the Halls of Mandos. Expecting to be immediately returned to her, either as a child, or reincarnate in his old body, he is dispmayed when that possibility is refused. The Valar want the elves to come west, and are not willing to send Amroth east again. They order him to wait in the hope that Nimrodel will soon sail west.

She never does, imprisoned by her own grief at losing him, and wandering in the darkness between Erech and Dunharrow. Her loss of reason only harden's the Valar's determination not to let Amroth return to Middle-Earth. Determined to return to her, he in turn refuses to be born or reincarnated in Valinor. In this stalemate he subsists for a thousand years.

When the Rings of power are destroyed and the Ringbearers sail west, and the large elvish migration occurs still without bringing Nimrodel, Amroth argues that he must be allowed to return and search for her. He suggests osanwe as a compromise, and the Valar agree. under one condition: that all his memories of Valinor be supressed completely, and he return ignorant of the last thousand years.

Searching for someone to share thoughts with, he encounters Mellondu in his usually dreamy state. Mellondu's mind is wide open and submissive. In his dreams, Amroth opens his life's memories to Mellondu, who happily receives them and enjoys them, escaping into a fantasy far more real, exciting, and romantic than he could even have invented. He gladly adopts Amroth's desires and hopes and purpose. His personality is completely submerged and engulfed by the spirit and will of Amroth.

Mellondu submits so completely that Amroth quickly forgets there is another mind sharing the young man's body with him, and when the Valar finish the bargain and remove his memory of the intervening thousand years since his death, Amroth even forgets he is in another body other than his own. According to the agreement, Mandos and Lorien continue supressing any of Amroth's thoughts that might expose the strange situation he is in; he is aware of certain strange details (such as the callouses on his hands being different and thicker than they once were, and the race of men being collectively taller than he remembered them to be) but with a combination of Elvish arrogance, interference from the Valar, and his own burning focus on his purpose, he dismisses such unimportant details and grows impatient and dismissive of those who mention them. He will permit no distraction from his search for Nimrodel, and whenever he can spare attention from his immediate surroundings he is restlessly searching with his mind for any sign of her between Lorien and the Bay of Belfalas.

She remains hidden, her mind completely shadowed and shut, in the Paths of the Dead.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-17-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #70
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Hey, mark12_30 , I keep on forgetting to ask you if it's alright if I don't do a first post for Gwyllion? The reason I ask is because you have a little "ready" after the people with bios and first posts....

Cheers!
Istawen

Old 03-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #71
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sure, that's OK. You can weave her in as we go by the town.

littlemanpoet is working hard under a (self-imposed) deadline of finishing his novel by the first day of spring. I've been relaxed about starting the game so as not to pressurize him any more than neccessary... but I think we do need to start soon, so we don't lose all momentum.

I think as soon as we have first posts from Liornung and Bella we'll open the game.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #72
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Apologies for the delay. Here it is, in all its humble glory. If you would like anything at all changed, do let me know and I will do my utmost.

First Post for Liornung

"'Twas a fine tune, Liornung."

The young fiddler turned to the man behind the counter and gave a little bow, mumuring his thanks and frowning thoughtfully at his bow. "I thank you, kind Master Ealdor," he said, "but I think that it sounded a bit odd. I fear that I have perhaps delayed overmuch in use of the rosin."

"Nonsense!" Innkeeper Ealdor cried, laughing a little. "You say it only to find fault with yourself, I know that much. Do you not think it would be wiser to simply accept that you had done a fine job, though in humble enough manner? Do not be so humble that you cannot see the facts as they stand before you."

The fiddler blushed at these words but continued to persist. "I do think it has been too long since my bow has last felt the rosin," he said again.

A young girl leaning against the door to the kitchen jumped forward with eagerness and touched the innkeeper's sleeve, saying, "Do not listen to him, Father, for I saw him just this morning sitting in that very corner, rosin and bow both in hand and in all truth he was not merely holding them to stare upon them."

"Miss Blostma, I fear you have me caught," Liornung said, bowing politely to her. "It does bother me to say from my own lips, however, that I played a fine tune and finer than many others before me. I think I shall content myself to merely think it." And then, sitting back in his chair and putting his boots upon the time despite the protests of the innkeeper's daughter, he began to play a soft, quiet tune, filled with such unspeakable sorrow and loss.

The inn there were inside could just barely be called that. Most simply referred to it as Ealdor's Inn, for it had no real name. It was a rare occasion when one other than a dear friend stepped into the inn, though it did sometimes happen. The inn was in a quiet corner of Edoras, and few people ever chose that inn to spend time in. Glancing around the dark room, dimly lit by the fire which threw strange shadows upon the faces of all, Liornung recognized everyone save a young woman sitting in a corner. She was staring into the fire, every so often tilting her head to the side a bit to gaze at him. She appeared quite lost and forsaken in the inn, and Liornung didn't wonder for it was almost certain nobody knew her and she knew nobody.

As he finished his tune he considered speaking to her and bringing her to know everyone in the room so as she should not feel so alone, but Old Secgrof called out to him, "Master Liornung, do you ever write songs?"

Liornung shifted his gaze from the girl to the old man sitting by the fire and, a playful little smile upon his face, replied, "Why, yes, I do, when there is anything noble enough to write about. I did write a song about the brave men who perished in a stable fire, but I was quite young then." The smile on his face growing wider, he added, "The leader of these brave men was my brother who in truth did not perish and was quite as young a lad as myself, but that would not have done for an epic tale." Old Secgrof chuckled a bit, and then he fixed and inquiring glance on Liornung. "I am under the impression that you have some special reason for asking this, Master Secgrof?" he asked uncertainly.

"Oh, not really," Old Secgrof said, shaking his head. "I was just thinking that some bard, or maybe even a wandering fiddler as yourself, should write about that crazy blacksmith."

"Crazy blacksmith?" Liornung frowned in thought. "I've heard no news of a crazy blacksmith. What is this you speak of?"

"A mad blacksmith," Blostma said, "is running north of here. The boys here in Edoras have been wishing with all their wills that they were older, for they think it would be an enjoyable sport to track him, especially as he's crazy and might be some danger."

Liornung touched the strings of his fiddle and gazed up at the ceiling of the inn. "It would be an adventure," he said. "It's been a long while since I've had an adventure. You say, Miss Blostma, that he's headed north from here? And you do mean Edoras by 'here' and not simply Rohan?"

"Yes," Blostma replied, looking a bit startled. "Surely, Master Liornung, you don't mean to follow him? It might prove most dangerous."

"I would like to follow him, but I might not wish to catch him. The following would be quite adventure enough, and perhaps I could find a few pleasant inns wherein dwelt those with willing ears for times further ahead." He put his bow to the strings again and was about to pick up another tune when Old Secgrof held up his hand to stop him.

"Master Liornung, I'm challenging you to follow the blacksmith and catch him, and when you've finished your adventure return here with your song," the old man said, his eyes locked onto the fiddler's.

Liornung was surprised. "Why, Master Secgrof, why does it mean so much to you?" he asked, hoping that his words did not sound too impolite.

Old Secgrof blushed a bit and stared at the ground, and then he murmured quite inaudibly. "The young man is crazy, that much has been said, and perhaps quite unable to defend himself against any dangers. He is heading into lands that I don't very well fancy, and I shouldn't like any harm to come to him."

"Master Secgrof," Liornung said in an awed voice, bowing quite low, "you have a most kind, compassionate, caring heart and alas that I do not have the same." He set his fiddle and bow against a chair and studied Old Secgrof's face for some time before speaking again. "You wish me to follow this young man and see he comes to no harm, if I do find him. Or persuade him to turn back, perhaps?"

"Whatever you might think is best."

"No need to look so ashamed, good master!" Liornung cried. "You are quite noble. I would readily do this if only to honor your most noble heart, but I do not know the lands well enough to track a man, and I am poor for following a map."

"I was no so serious about it," Old Secgrof said briskly. "You needn't worry yourself, Liornung. I'm sure the lad can take care of himself."

"But I cannot let one such as yourself worry so much about it. I have no knowledge of tracking, I cannot follow a map well and I only know these lands in the ways I travel them from inn to inn, I own no horse, but I will find some way to do it for your sake. I don't think I would mind going to those lands if only I knew the way. What an adventure it would be!" With shining eyes, he moved to the fire and sat himself down opposite of Old Secgrof. "You sit there, good Secgrof, and I shall sit here, and we shall think together and come up with some way to do this task."
Old 03-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #73
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shucks, Nuru, he's **adorable**. I'd set him up with my own neice...

... properly chaperoned, of course.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-17-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #74
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Bella..

Hey everyone,

Here's the first post for Bella...

First Post

Black faded into shades of grey that, in turn, smoothed into the beige-cream color of the parchment Bellyn was sketching on. The fiddler continued his tune, and Bellyn scribbled down the main outline of his body while he was still playing. Bellyn knew that if she wanted to get the proportions and body just right, she’d have to work fast before the fiddler stopped playing his lovely instrument. Of course the young man did not know about Bellyn’s drawing of him, and if he caught her staring Bellyn knew she’d blush crimson and crumple up the paper.

So, working quickly, Bellyn finished the outline of the instrument and man just as the last note began to ring and fade into the air. Bellyn sighed and put down her dulled pencil while the young minstrel began to playfully argue with the Innkeeper and his daughter about the performance. Examining at the drawing with slight disgust, Bellyn shoved it into the empty pack on the floor next to her feet, promising herself that she’d finish it later. Looking back at the table she occupied alone, Bellyn inwardly scolded herself for dallying and not doing her work. Maps were splayed out on the table in front of her, and a quill pen was left dry next to a jar of the finest black ink that Bellyn had made herself.

Bellyn returned her gaze to the fiddler, and was taken aback to find that she had caught the young man’s gaze as well. The fire flickered and lit Bellyn’s papers but she kept her attention on the minstrel, and Bellyn wondered what he was thinking so deeply about. Then his attention was called away as one patron of Ealdor’s Inn asked the fiddler about song writing. At this Bellyn turned away and went back to her papers.

Until part of the conversation being held between the fiddler – it seemed Liornung was his name – the old man, and the Innkeeper’s daughter caught Bellyn’s attention.

"A mad blacksmith," Blostma said, "is running north of here. The boys here in Edoras have been wishing with all their wills that they were older, for they think it would be an enjoyable sport to track him, especially as he's crazy and might be some danger."

Bellyn looked up from her maps for perhaps the hundredth time and smiled faintly, thinking that the boys of Edoras were certainly right in their desire for adventure. Bellyn, as an artist and a woman, had spent many years drawing and copying maps of places that her father the cartographer had been to. Yet Bellyn hadn’t left Edoras in many years, and even when she had it was not for adventure, it was not for glory.

"It would be an adventure," The fiddler, Liornung, said. "It's been a long while since I've had an adventure. You say, Miss Blostma, that he's headed north from here? And you do mean Edoras by 'here' and not simply Rohan?"

Bellyn became more and more interested with each passing moment. Oh, how she longed for a chance to be out in the world. Bellyn could recite any coordinates of any place in Middle Earth, and could recall lore of places long gone and countries faded and lost to the memories of normal men, but Bellyn had never been to any of them. Still, Bellyn knew what her father (who was away, like always) and brothers would say if she suggested or even hinted at her traveling off on some wild goose chase. Bellyn knew they would say naught for a while, then laugh, then ask if Bellyn had lost her mind.

For a few minutes the conversation became lost to Bellyn, and she began packing up her maps and readying for home. She wanted to speak to the fiddler, though, to find out what he knew or what he thought of the “crazy blacksmith” situation. Before Bellyn could stand from her seat or do anything, something else in the conversation caught Bellyn’s attention.

"Master Liornung, I'm challenging you to follow the blacksmith and catch him, and when you've finished your adventure return here with your song," The old man smiled slyly for just a moment, but then locked glances with the young fiddler.

Inaudible mumbling ensued, and Bellyn tried her best to listen and make certain that she did not miss anything important. What Liornung said next made Bellyn smile and made her glad that she was so well acquainted with the geography of Middle-Earth.

"You are quite noble. I would readily do this if only to honor your most noble heart, but I do not know the lands well enough to track a man, and I am poor for following a map."

I know the lands well enough! Bellyn cried to herself, excitement beginning to show on her pale face and color beginning to come back to her freckle-dusted cheeks. And I am the best at following a map, even if it is one of the few things I am good at!

"You sit there, good Secgrof, and I shall sit here, and we shall think together and come up with some way to do this task."

The young artist knew it was time for her to speak, and she knew it as well as she knew the exact distance from Minas Tirith to the lands of ancient Lothlorien. Bellyn grabbed her pack of maps and slung it over her shoulder before leaving her spot by her table and shyly walking up to the fiddler Liornung.

“You do not need to think for long,” Bellyn began, getting Liornung and Secgrof’s to turn and look at her. “I can help! I’m a cartographer,” Bellyn knew it was a bit of a lie, for she had never really been anywhere, but she told herself hesitantly that knowing where everything was on a map was almost as good as having been there anyway. “I’m a cartographer, and I know all the lands of Middle-Earth! I can help you track any man you must find, Master Liornung!”

---

Helen or Nuru, let me know if you want this changed or expanded in any way. I worked around using and making up dialogue for Liornung, Nuru, so that I didn't do anything wrong with him that he wouldn't do.

-Aylwen
Old 03-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #75
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hooray! We are good to go for the Minas Tirith group and the Rohan group!

Erebemlin can put up a first post anytime his author is ready... Since he won't be encountered (strictly speaking) til Lorien, that gives Alak a bit of time.

Tomorrow, I will start moving the first posts to the game thread, and give the whole thing one last edit. After that I'll open the game.

EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 06:30 AM   #76
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Boots Game Open!!!

****clear ringing of silver trumpets****

Glad I am to announce that "Tapestry of Dreams" is open for play!!

To quote The Conspirators Unmasked:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

With Foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!

Well, those from Minas Tirith will be walking, but... you get the idea.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-29-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #77
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield littlemanpoetbusy

Hi-- lmp has asked me to get Ædegard started on his way, so I'm doing to find him some horses and victuals, and send him north.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:34 AM   #78
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Shield Rohan

Nuru and Aylwen-- I'm not sure whether you meant to go along with Ædegard or to chase him; so I left it open; you can either watch him ride off alone, or you can catch him quick-- whatever works for your plan!

Orual, I'm going to give Imladris a bit of time for an intervening post if she wants one and then I'll send Raefindan by Ravion's table-- Unless you want Ravion to go and challenge the aspiring young hat thief?

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-21-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #79
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield Post for Liornung

I have posted and Liornung and Bellyn have set out to follow Ædegard after pausing a moment to talk with Theolyn and Freawine. I don't know now if you, lmp or Helen, whoever would be doing it, would like to do an Ædegard post with the two catching up with him, or if you, Aylwen, would like to do a Bellyn post and have her converse with Liornung a bit, or any other options. Do you even want Liornung and Bellyn to catch Ædegard that same day? Do whatever you think is best.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #80
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Sorry I haven't had time to post, but I'll get one up tonight more than likely...