The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Dunadun has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dunadun
Sting Palantiri

I know this must be a stupid question but I don't have a copy of any books other than the Hobbit and LOTR. Where were all the palantiri supposed to be located.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hmmm.. i tried the search engine but couldnt really find a thread that says this. So I'll just tell ya [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I believe that one was supposed to be in Osgiliath, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor, Orthanc, Emyn Beriad (sp?), Amon Sul and I think its Annuminias... someone correct me if im wrong. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Talon Stormcrow ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fornost too I believe.

Editted to add: Okay, I looked it up.

Emyn Beraid (Tower Hills), Amon Sul, Annuminas (near Fornost), Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul), Minas Anor (Minas Tirith), Orthanc & Osgiliath.

How Talon, did you do that from memory.

H.C.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 04-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, not all from memory. I wish i could remember like that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] hehe I had to look up a couple... they were Emyn Beraid and Annuminias. Its usually the long ones I forget! lol

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:52 AM   #5
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Dunadun has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dunadun
Sting

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Adanadhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanadhel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

More useless knowledge form a topic often discussed... but it is one of my favorites.

The question is not where were they, but where are they.

1. Orthanc Stone - In Minas Tirith, with Aragorn.
2. Arnor Stone - In Minas Tirith, in the hands of Denethor in the tomb of the stewards.
3. Ithil Stone - Destroyed? Was in Barad Dur with Saruron... but who knows.
4. & 5. Amon Sul & Annuminas Stones - Lost at sea north of the Grey Havens.
6. Osgiliath Stone - Lost in the Anduin in the kinstrife wars.
7. Tower Hills Stone - Taken back to The Undying Lands by Gandalf and Co. (IMO, It should have been given to Aragorn, since it was rightfully his, but it was only good for looking toward the Undying lands so not such a big loss... but I'm sure Arwen would have liked it to keep in touch with family.)

The stones are one of my favorite topics in Tolkien. (Along with the Elessar and the forging of the rings..........)
Old 04-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
IMO, It should have been given to Aragorn, since it was rightfully his, but it was only good for looking toward the Undying lands so not such a big loss... but I'm sure Arwen would have liked it to keep in touch with family.
I see what your getting at, but I think the idea here is a closing of the chapter of this world in which the Undying Lands play a role. We are on our own now.

H.C.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

So, if all of the other Palantiri were either lost, in Valinor or in the hands of a dead man (and, in the case of Denethor's, on the blink anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ), what was the use of the one Palantir left with Aragorn in Minas Tirith? He couldn't use it to communicate with the others (it seems a fair assumption that he couldn't use it in conjuctiuon with the Seeing Stone in Valinor), so it had no practical value. Presumably, he just retained it as an artefact of his ancestry.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, I would have thought that when through the palantir, it would show you what you may see (sort of like Galadriel's Mirror), like when Denethor saw the coming of the ships. But is the reason he saw the ships because Aragorn had the palantir with him, so Denethor would not have seen it had the palantir not been with Aragorn? And if so (and I do think so), then when you look into a palantir, can you see a view out of the palantir, as if it were an eye, or does it give you a surrounding view of the area the palantir is in, like an ariel view (which might explain to me why Denethor could see whole fleets of ships)?

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:17 PM   #10
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I thought they had discussed the idea of using the Palantir to look where you would. In the chapter where Pippin looks into the Palantir, doesn't Gandalf tell him that he doesn't have the strength to direct it, but that using the link between the stones Sauron can direct his view? Then when Aragorn uses it he forces it to obey him, doesn't he? *biting lip* these are only my impressions, not to be taken as authoritative, for I haven't read that part of the book in a while, and I'm working from memory.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote