The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Hobbit gets green-light and announces February start

After years of public feuds, false starts, financial setbacks, and dashed hopes, Warner Brothers apparently press-released today that The Hobbit has officially been given the green-light and is set for a February 2011 start -- even though Deadline Hollywood (usually authoritative on the inner workings of the industry) is reporting that the labor dispute is still not resolved.

Looks like this thing is gonna be a reality.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Looks like this thing is gonna be a reality.
A well thought-out reality, let's hope, and not one that's dangling on the loose end of a string. I think this is the link:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1225939513402
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
So when's the planned release date?
And hopefully not in 3d.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Definitely in 3D, from what I read. Though 3D movies always have the option to see them traditionally, so really what's the difference?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
So when's the planned release date?
And hopefully not in 3d.
December 2012 for the first film, it seems.

The difference between 3D and normal is that if they're doing it in 3D from the start, they'll probably do some silly camera tricks that are supposed to look cool in 3D but are really quite awkward. Well, it's their problem not ours - I probably only want to see the traditional version (assuming I decide to watch the movie in the first place, not so sure about that yet).
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Definitely in 3D, from what I read. Though 3D movies always have the option to see them traditionally, so really what's the difference?
3-D is always a bit too expensive for me... and after The Last Airbender fiasco, I'm not yet ready for another splurge. Yay for traditional films for underpaid teachers.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I can't even watch anything in 3D. Being practically blind in one eye makes that task difficult. I don't know about those new glasses either. They scare me. Hopefully the film in the traditional method of viewing will look all right. Otherwise I wont see it. So take that Peter Jackson.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I saw Avatar in 2D and it looked fine. At least, I didn't notice too many of those cheesy random-object-thrust-at-the-camera shots you see 3D films from the eighties.

So hopefully filmmakers these days have learnt that that kind of thing tends to look absurd on a flat screen.

That said, I have to admit I don't really see the point of filming The Hobbit in 3D in the first place. Not the artistic point, anyway. It does seem to be a good way of getting viewers to suspend their judgement.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'm just rather leery about a 3D version of The Hobbit. It's just a massive cash grab and really, I don't really see many points in the movie where 3D could actually be used (with the exception of Smaug) in the film and look good.

On a separate note, any word on who the actors will be? As a Theater geek, that tends to be the part that I'm most interested in. If the acting sucks (coughORLANDOBLOOMcough....sorry, I have a hate on for him lol) then it will ruin the movie for me
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah the thing is finally on... Is that a scheduled Christmas 2011 première than?

Now we can look forwards to reading sarcastic high-brow put-downs of Peter Jackson here on the downs for years to come...
Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
So hopefully filmmakers these days have learnt that that kind of thing tends to look absurd on a flat screen.
I hope so too. But we're talking about Peter Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
I don't really see many points in the movie where 3D could actually be used (with the exception of Smaug) in the film and look good.
The Black Arrow? They even tried it in FotR...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Quote:
Now we can look forwards to reading sarcastic high-brow put-downs of Peter Jackson here on the downs for years to come...
Yesss, yess. We likes to attack nassty changes tricksey PJ favors,
don't we preciouss! We hates them, we hates them forever!
(especially in TTT and RoTK).

Oh yess, PJ will have 3-d smoke rings and bumping barrelses,
won'ts he! Scary black arrowses coming at nice dragons
and Thief Baggins jumping over poor Smeagol, who
only wants to help.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
In my case, nausea. But they haven't actually cast Bilbo yet have they? So who are they starting with?

If they haven't definitively closed the door on Martin Freeman then that is interesting scheduling. They interviewed the writer of Sherlock last night on TV and they start filming the next series of that in the Spring and Freeman is committed to that for 20 weeks.... so for the Hobbit if not Freeman who? And if Freeman what are they going to start filming? There isn't so much in the original book that doesn't centre on him.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Deadline Hollywood usually has pretty accurate scoops, and their latest report (linked in the first post of this thread) still says that Martin Freeman will "soon be set to play Bilbo", so if you like the idea of Freeman in the role, don't give up hope yet. I'm not familiar with him, but just looking at his picture, he has a certain hobbit-like quality.

Regarding 3D, I reckon I can understand the fear about randomly poking things at the camera/audience. I guess I wouldn't put anything past PJ, who has shown a willingness to try almost anything for a gag. We'll have to wait and see. It will be interesting to see how Jackson has matured as a director in the interim.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
He was Arthur Dent in the film version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as Tim in the British version of the Office and was also in Love Actually. He is a good actor - more an everyman type than the ultra bourgeouis Bilbo of the book version but I think he would do it as well as anyone and better than most. The only person I would prefer would be Michael C Hall because in his role of David in Six Feet Under he managed the trick of playing a character who was likeable despite being repressed and prissy. But I guess playing Dexter would now make him too much of an odd choice!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Oh yess, PJ will have 3-d smoke rings and bumping barrelses,
I feel my stomach bumping at the thought of a 3-D Hobbit movie. Though to be honest I'm not surprised they'd want to do it in 3-D. It's all the rage...or something.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

So I got a blast email from AFTRA that the "Do Not Work" order has been lifted, and SAG has posted the same on their website -- but apparently the production might still abandon New Zealand, per the latest reporting at Deadline Hollywood: Ire in the Shire Could Still Push Peter Jackson Pics Out of New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
He was Arthur Dent in the film version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as Tim in the British version of the Office and was also in Love Actually.
Missed Hitchhiker's Guide, only saw a few snippets of the British The Office a long time ago, and saw Love Actually when it was out six years ago and don't remember him. Guess I'll have to check Netflix to see if I can scout him a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Michael C Hall because in his role of David in Six Feet Under he managed the trick of playing a character who was likeable despite being repressed and prissy. But I guess playing Dexter would now make him too much of an odd choice!
Ha! The thought of Dexter as Bilbo adds a whole new dimension to Gandalf's assessment: "There is a lot more in him than you guess..."
Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's looking like movies are going in the 3D direction, whether people like it or not. I'm beginning to think it's just another progression of technology and we won't be able to stop it. Bummer.

Glad the movie is going to start sometime, but it's still a long way off...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Glad the movie is going to start sometime, but it's still a long way off...
As long as it comes out before the supposed end of the world.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
This is really good news because I for one am in love with the LotR movies. As I wear glasses in real life, I do not plan on watching it in 3-D. I am also under the impression that all the greatest movies of all genres have been in 2-D. Regardless, I will pray and have faith that this Hobbit movie will be all I hope.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Well the greenlight has seemed to of set things fully in motion now. We've come to the turn of the tide...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71003

Martin Freeman, as rumored gets Bilbo. Interesting choice in Thorin there. I think all those years ago in my "Hobbit Dreamcast" I said Keith Allen, from Robin Hood would make an nice scumbag playing the Master of Lake-town. Ah, but we do have his counterpart from the BBC show with Sir Guy, Richard Armitage, getting Thorin.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green Aaieee

Is that confirmed confirmed? Richard Armitage as Thorin??? I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I mean, he's totally awesome but he's not what I'd call Thorin-like. Well it will be interesting.

Also:
Quote:
Rounding out the Company of Dwarves are Aidan Turner (TV's "Being Human") and Rob Kazinsky (TVs "EastEnders") who play Kili and Fili, respectively. --

The remaining dwarves will be played by Graham McTavish (Secretariat and TV's "24") as Dwalin; John Callen (TV's "Power Rangers Jungle Fury") as Oin; Stephen Hunter (TV's "All Saints") as Bombur; Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori; and Peter Hambleton (TV's "The Strip") as Gloin.
Does this mean we'll have only eight dwarves in total? Dislike.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....... they take the most Numenorean looking man on the planet, the man who was born to play Faramir, and they get him to play a dwarf??? And they will cover his lovely face with a beard...... and and and this prolly means they are killing him off in Spooks................ nooooooooooo

The other dwarves don't speak so may just be very lucky extras...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Does this mean we'll have only eight dwarves in total? Dislike.
Of course there will be only eight. People can't count above ten these days, y'know. And I have a sneaky feeling that Jackson or one of his writers thinks that it's a brilliant idea to have Bilbo as the ninth member of the company, making it a parallel Fellowship, thereby "improving" upon Tolkien himself (and incidentally cutting the budget by reducing the number of actors who need to be hired). The incidental reason would be the real one, but I'd take bets that it will be disguised by the other, thus making it appear a maneuver motivated by "literary" concerns.

I wish I were being sarcastic. Alas, I'm not.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Here's what Jackson said about the dwarves at Comic-Con this summer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
We always wanted to retain the thirteen dwarves that Tolkien wrote about. It’s not wise or sensible to be mucking around with that degree of Tolkien lore. So we have thirteen dwarves to cast — it’s going to be a lot of fun. [Laughs] There’s thirteen poor guys who are going to be walking around the mountains in summer wearing big, thick costumes and sweating under their prosthetic makeup. It’s gonna be tough — very, very tough. It is logistically very difficult. You imagine getting those guys through wardrobe and makeup at the beginning of each day and then having them ready to shoot and they’re gonna be passing out in the heat. It’s gonna be tricky. Some of the dwarves are obviously more important than others. We’re isolating about four or five of them to make them the key dwarf players and then the others will be more supporting roles.
Which is fair enough and more or less true to the book -- let's face it, not all thirteen dwarves have a featured role. I imagine that they closed the Martin Freeman deal and wanted to make the announcement right away with what cast they already had. Deadline Hollywood has a few more speculative names that are rumored to be in negotiations (including Bill Nighy for the voice of Smaug).

They don't have a Balin yet as far as I can tell. He's one of my favorites and seems an obvious one to be a more prominent dwarf.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #26
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

How about the three trolls casting? PJ should
like their slapstick characters. Oh,
and the butler's wine enjoyment.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
More about the cast

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47150
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Interesting video on the tail end of that post. Here's a link to the unedited version of the Jackson/Boyens interview:

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/extra-sir...-video-3848355
Old 10-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #29
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Totally sharing Mith and Lommy's dismay about lovely R Armitage...I mean its not that I'm complaining about him being on screen but I DON'T want to imagine him as a dwarf...he could have been Bard the Bowman and I would have been a happy bunny...
Pleased with Martin Freeman as Bilbo though...I can see that working really well.

Who is going to be Balin?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Or the master of Lake town or the Elven king.... but with a 3d beard nooooooooooooooo

Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Haha Mith and Lalaith. Although, I must say that after the first shock I actually think he's a good choice (although he would've made a better Bard, I agree). I think he can bring sufficient nobility and edge to Thorin's protrayal. I'm also positively surprised by the team casting him as Thorin and some two young puppy-eyed guys as Fili and Kili - not because I think dwarves should be hotties or anything but because it looks like they are not going to make it a party of comic reliefs to follow Bilbo and Gandalf!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #32
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
but because it looks like they are not going to make it a party of comic reliefs to follow Bilbo and Gandalf!
That is my biggest reservation about the films...that we get 13 Gimli's on screen, which would unbearable for me to watch.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #33
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
That is my biggest reservation about the films...that we get 13 Gimli's on screen, which would unbearable for me to watch.
I think this is my concern too, that PJ and Company may think they've set it into the viewer's minds that dwarf = comedic relief and so make all thirteen dwarves comic relief. If they do that, I will be less than pleased, needless to say.
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

My parents came from Warwickshire so I spat my coffee during the coverage of the NZ protests when they claimed Middle Earth started in NZ....

Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #35
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Amidst all the celebrations.....

Hobbit deal costs New Zealand changes in labour laws and $25m tax break http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/...al-new-zealand

Quote:
Yesterday (NZ Prime Minister John) Key declared that the new labour laws would be altered to recognise the difference between a contract worker and a movie production employee. He also announced an expansion in the nation's film subsidy programme, providing a tax rebate thought to be worth around $25m. "We will be moving to ensure that New Zealand law in this area is settled to give producers like Warner Bros the confidence they need to produce their movies in New Zealand," he said.
&
UPDATE 1-New Zealand divided over govt deal to keep Hobbit http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69R1EH20101028

Quote:
Included in the agreement was an offer of $25 million, some $15 million of that in tax breaks, and the law changes, which are being pushed through without the normal process of referral to a parliamentary committee and public submissions.....

"(It is) a solution that will enable Warner Bros and the international film community to restore their confidence in the New Zealand screen production environment," said Penelope Borland, chief executive of the Screen Production and Development Association of NZ.

But union officials, who had given assurances that the films would not be hit by industrial action, were outraged.

"That a foreign corporation can come into this country and demand that workers' rights in this industry be removed...that's effectively what's going to happen today," said Helen Kelly, the head of the Council of Trade Unions.
So, New Zealand gets to keep The Hobbit - & all it has to do is allow an unelected movie company re-write its laws.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #36
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyrana Silumiel View Post
I think this is my concern too, that PJ and Company may think they've set it into the viewer's minds that dwarf = comedic relief and so make all thirteen dwarves comic relief. If they do that, I will be less than pleased, needless to say.
Must be ten years since I last read The Hobbit, so correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the dwarves mostly function as comic relief in the book as well?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #37
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
This claims Bofur and Ori have been cast, but McKellen has not signed a contract yet.
I like the part where it says Ori was "another Dwarf who fights the infamous dragon, Smaug".
Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #38
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I like the part where it says Ori was "another Dwarf who fights the infamous dragon, Smaug".
Despair!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #39
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
What the h*ll!

And no doubt you can sat goodbye to nuances such as
one of Tolkien's best written bits in The Hobbit wnere Bilbo
goes alone in to confront Smaug.
Quote:
It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was
the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened
afterwards were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in
the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait.
Also see Tom Shippey's analysis in J.R.R. Tolkien.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #40
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
Despair!
Despair not! That's just really lazy reporting. The article Zil's linking to regurgitates another article (posted on The One Ring.net, though I'm sure where it comes from originally) which in turn is based on statements by Jackson and the studio executives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The first article
Newcomer, Adam Brown will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug.
A bit different, no?