The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Pipe Quick question

Does anyone happen to know who narrated the 1977 Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit?
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The only narrator I recall was John Huston, who was also Gandalf.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Ok thanks.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Credits on the radio version say Bill Nighe is that the same Bill Nighe from Love Actually?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
There were many things to be displeased about that cartoon version, including the way the elves were portrayed visually (not to mention their Russian accents), but one thing I remember about it that I really liked was the way it portrayed the moment Bilbo burst through the Mirkwood canopy and saw all the butterflies, and the accompanying song.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I actually liked the Hobbit the only odd creature was Gollum... I mean the wood elves were strange however except being extremely shortened I felt the key moments stayed in the only real bit left out was the Arkenstone... That song gets me every time love it!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
There were many things to be displeased about that cartoon version, including the way the elves were portrayed visually (not to mention their Russian accents), but one thing I remember about it that I really liked was the way it portrayed the moment Bilbo burst through the Mirkwood canopy and saw all the butterflies, and the accompanying song.
Yeah, that was a wonderful scene and I remember it well. Watched the Hobbit for the first (and only) time not that long ago and found it quite charming, disregarding oddities such as the salamander-like Gollum. Bet I would've loved it as a kid.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I put it in when I want a relaxing movie it's short and sweet but that scene is very powerful.