The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2002, 08:19 PM   #41
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lol, Anna. But I seriously know what you mean!!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:35 AM   #42
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To everyone who still wines about Sept. 11, if you don't not have a friend/relative/loved one who died... get over it. Yes it was a tragic day, but there have been a lot of days that were a lot worse. Compare it to the Blitz in WW2 where that would have been a good night for the people living in London, or with Hiroshima or Nagasaki (not sure about the spelling on that one), or with the suffering that is going on in third world countries every day. Change the name of the movie? Thats rediculous. Maybe they sould change the name of 'Attack of the Clones' cause I know someone who died of a heart attack, and thus the word 'attack' disturbes me. Maybe SpiderMan should be changed because many of us know a man who died... plus I heard a man was murdered yesterday, so clearly that name was offensive. People should get some cheese to go with their wine.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:36 AM   #43
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Every day 10.000 children die in Afrika, but who cares about it?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #44
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dūm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

the people tring to change the title are leeches. i have known a few myself, and found it hard not take a sledge hammer to their heads. they feed of the emotions of others and never let a topic go. the use this topic to draw emotions from people, thus assurting themselves in the social order. these people are insecure morons who should be locked up and never see the light of day again.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:45 PM   #45
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Elfarmour has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you ask me it dose take time for some ppl to get over a tragedy, but we live in a fast paced world you have to move on, besides,the two towers was written before the world trade centre was thought of it has nothing to do with it they should stick with the original tittle if they change it they might just remind more tolkkein fans of 9/11 than the two towers would have anyway
Old 07-23-2002, 09:31 PM   #46
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I am going to bookmark that site for when i need a good Laugh.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #47
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Thats a good point Telcontar. People are so ignorant. They pick one notable thing to be mad about and never stop. 35,000 children die a day from malnutrition. But that's not glamerous or notable enough to be angry at. The worse part of all this is that people think that one terrorist represents the beleifs of all Arab people. I know this for a fact from listening people talking at my school. They barely know what the situation is and they choose to be mad at it. Its really sad when you think about it. How could people be so blind and arrogant and not even realize or care about it?<P>Truthfully, I got tired of hearing about 9/11 a week after it happened. The 24/7 news casts and everyone talking about it unintellegently (Lets nuke Afghanastan) made me decide to not care. Everyone else cared enough for me.<P>This seems very off topic. But I can relate this to Tolkien.<P>Some people in America are as ignorant/arrogant/blind as the Noldor when they attacked the Teleri. Does anyone agree?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:57 PM   #48
ae9024

Sting

Whether or not 9/11 is triggered by TT, either consciously or subconsciously primed, an important theme of the trilogy is peoples of various homelands, races, etc., working together to diminish destruction and promote peace. One could argue whether or not this is happening today or quite the opposite. It is certainly a theme many need to be reminded of. I hope parallels are made.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:10 PM   #49
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
The Eye

I agree all the way with <BR>Lothiriel Silmarien.<BR>It's just absurd! And the thought of a petition is even worse! I mean the thought of chainging Tolkien's work?! How rude!!! <BR>It's just plain sad what some people can think of connecting to sept. 11... Especially when it's regarding Tolkien...<BR>P.S. i'm not trying to be rude about sept. 11, it was a tradedy if there ever was one...
Old 07-24-2002, 03:23 AM   #50
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Not to offend anyone, but...<BR>I don't see why the attack on World Trade Center on September 11th 2001 is so much worse than anything the Americans (not all Americans, just then ones with the money) ever did in:<BR>Japan, Vietnam, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Could somebody please explain? <BR>Shouldn't those small yellow triangles with black symbols be banned as well, because they remind the Japanese of what were done to them in Nagasaki and Hiroshima after the ending of World War II? It makes no sence. You have a good point Elendur! My bet everyone (not on BD, sorry if I make it sound that way) would think of the Noldor as horrible creatures, that shouldn't be allowed to live!<P>Omg. This looks like I'm the most insesitive person on Earth. I shouldn't write these things at this time of day... *hides in her corner and feels very sorry for everyone who's hurt because of her rude language*
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:33 AM   #51
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The September 11th events are a tragedy, but tragedies happen every day in the third world countries.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Every day 10.000 children die in Afrika, but who cares about it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not american... But this doesn't mean that I don't respect their sorrow. I live in Romania (that's in Eastern Europe) and here things aren't so good... Bad things happen every day but few people find out about them. Many things are bad in this world, but this doesn't mean that this has to rule our lives. <I>The two towers</I> was written long ago before 9/11 and it will be an outrage if they'd change the name of the movie bacause of this tragedy. The Two Towers and the Twin Towers have no thing in common. So... Don't compare this two different things and respect Tolkien's works...!<P>I'm sorry if I offended somebody, but this is my point of view.<p>[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Anunia ]

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #52
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Reality. Tolkien named his book "The Two Towers". Jackson most appropriately gave the same name to his movie.<P>There were once two towers in NYC called the World Trade Center nicknamed "Twin Towers." They existed. Already they've been removed from movies that were shot before they went down. Reality. They once stood and were landmarks that appeared on postcards, in movies, etc.<P>Those petitions represent stupid, revisionist, controlling, P.C. pablum masquerading as sensitivity. The sensitive remember, they don't forget.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:49 PM   #53
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Eye

i left quite a nasty message on the page. go cheack it out. hehehe<BR>(seriously, if i ever find out where the guy who thought this up lives, i will go there, smash his hippie head into his computer, beat him with a red hot iron rod, straggle him using his own pancho, run him over in a car several times, then lock him up in a safe, light it on fire, throw it over a cliff, and give his flaming corpse the finger)<p>[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-24-2002, 08:16 PM   #54
Airedae
Pile O'Bones

Airedae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I seriously think that is an outrage. It's clearly something that was written long before and anyone who doesn't know Tolkien would go there.....Its clearly just a bunch of crap that is being said in that petition. They clearly feel like venting in the wrong subject. I mean its okay to talk about 9-11. I will never tell someone to stop venting their feelings about that tragedy...it was a sad situation...BUT to even compare it to The Two Towers is just crazy....I can't believe anyone even went there or that they could be that sensitive....

~Valerie~
Airedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #55
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

blah!!!!! i hate all this being politicaly correct crap! im tired of all this overeactiveness, and crap.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:32 PM   #56
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Eye

i agree<BR>(dances around doing femmine hand motions)<BR>oh...the title riminds me of 9/11, we need to get that out of our heads boo boo boo.<BR>this petition makes me sick.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:39 PM   #57
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

::gets up on table and puts fist up in the air:: <BR>revolution revolution!!!!!!!!<P>::nods approvingly at the riot he hopes to make:: <P>
Old 07-28-2002, 07:30 AM   #58
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Even if The Two Towers had something to do with modern-day buildings (which it doesn't), what makes people think it's related to the WTC? There are probably several pairs of buildings all over the world. My point is, don't over-react about something if you don't know the facts for sure.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:45 AM   #59
*nevquesseiel*
Pile O'Bones

*nevquesseiel* has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i dont know if someone has already posted this so sorry if they have but the director of lotr was thinking about changing the name of ttt but they decided against it in the end..... NVQ

Visit my Elfwood Art page!!
*nevquesseiel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:56 AM   #60
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ....Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel "The Two Towers". The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant.... <BR>-From the Petition to Rename <I>The Two Towers</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>What????? Had he even HEARD of LotR before<BR>December 19 2001?<P>I have an *Idea*: Let's rename <I>TTT</I> <I>How Rohan Overthrewn Saruman and Frodo, Sam, and Gollum got into Mordor</I>!<p>[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 07-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #61
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Eye

TASTELESS!! TASTELES!!!<BR>DIE!!<BR>ONWARD YE ELVES DESTROY THE DARK ONE!!<BR>how the hell can he call the words of tolkien tasteless?!<BR>HE MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:23 PM   #62
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My response to the quote stated above (edited for content): "What the frickin' h***?!?! What does that person have in his/her head that is replacing a brain? Someone needs to clue him/her that TTT was <I>NOT</I> "offensive" and "morally repungnant"! What's "tasteless" is that that person didn't even bother to notice that TTT was written BEFORE he/she was (probablly) born!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:05 AM   #63
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Angersome isn't it?<P>The thing is, every one of the 60 or so answers has been the same. We are all Tolkien fans after all.<P>Maybe I should post this on a general discussion forum instead of a Tolkien discussion forum.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:39 AM   #64
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, I won't add to the rampant flaming, but I will say that the way issues like this are being handled in America (all in the name of 9-11) is revolting. I read some of the sigs on that petition, and they were really quite disturbing.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #65
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Silmaril

Someone above said that one of the towers was Cirith Ungol it's Minas Morgul .Peter Jackson Isn't intelegent enuf to think of anew name that fits. :mad why cant people move on with their freakin lives?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:02 PM   #66
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In Letters, Tolkien refers to the fact that The Two Towers was as close to a name as he could get for Books Three and Four, citing that he liked it because it was ambigious - it could refer to any two towers in the story. In the same way, the film's title could refer to any two towers the world over; there is no reason why it should single out the tragedy of 9/11
Old 01-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #67
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[EDIT] I think this: is the best thing to express what I'm feeling right now. If I say something beyond that, I'll get everyone furious with me.<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 PM   #68
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Personally, <BR> I think this whole thing is bogus. The Two Towers were written over 30 years ago! Before the WTC was even built (I think.) J.R.R. Tolkien is (rest his soul), and has no say in this whole shinannigan. The name won't change.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 PM   #69
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Why is this thread even in the book forum?<BR>
Old 01-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #70
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the same way, the film's title could refer to any two towers the world over; there is no reason why it should single out the tragedy of 9/11 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, it can't refer to any two towers the world over.<P>Just any of the two towers found in Middle-earth towards the end of the Third Age.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 AM   #71
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> To everyone who still wines about Sept. 11, if you don't not have a friend/relative/loved one who died... get over it. Yes it was a tragic day, but there have been a lot of days that were a lot worse. Compare it to the Blitz in WW2 where that would have been a good night for the people living in London, or with Hiroshima or Nagasaki (not sure about the spelling on that one), or with the suffering that is going on in third world countries every day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I understand the point you're trying to make, and I, too, believe that the movie should not be renamed. But, I fear you are downplaying September 11th too much. Yes, all suffering is bad. And yes, there have been many tragedies worse than September 11th. But, that is no excuse to tell people to stop whining about the death of their loved ones (you may not have meant that, but your use of two negatives indicates otherwise) or to get over the murder of thousands of people. It's one thing to say you don't agree with someone's opinion on the title of a movie, but it's quite another to tell them to get over the death of thousands of innocent people. I'm not telling anyone to get over the London Blitz, starving children in Africa, or any other atrocity that has occurred and neither should you.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:49 AM   #72
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

People, people. Calm down. <BR>It was quite obvious that the petition was a spoof from beginning to end. Specificly done, I imagine, by some person in order to wind up touchy Tolkien fans. Which they have succeeded in doing, it seems...
Old 02-02-2003, 04:34 AM   #73
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Tolkien

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a spoof. <A HREF="http://www.twotowersprotest.org" TARGET=_blank>The Two Towers Protest</A> site still exists. You see, I've never seen the petition and tried to find it, also using the link on this thread, but I didn't. Somehow, it was taken off Petition Online. So I never got to have the laughs that most of you had.<P>But the above site seems to be a serious site inspired by that petition, bogus or not. <A HREF="http://www.twotowersprotest.org/who.htm" TARGET=_blank>This is the link.</A><P>Furthermore, it states this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We believe that the events that took place on Sept 11th 2001 gave America a chance for greater sensitivity. This is something that many people believe has been missing for a long time in the United States. The Spiderman movie which was released in 2002 had the images of the two towers removed from the movie. This sentiment was greatly appreciated by the Two Towers Protest Organization. We would like to see this kind of sentiment put towards the renaming of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" to something which would be more appropriate considering the events which transpired on Sept 11th 2001. The name of this movie will undoubtedly cause a return of the emotions felt on Sept 11th which left so many people in the nation feeling stunned and in a state of shock. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A lot of you have already expressed the idiocity of statements such as these; I agree with all of you.<P>In fact, I believe we should remind people of 9/11 as often as we could. I am not American and I may be wrong, but it has only been two years and I get the distinct impression that people have 'gone on' just too well. So much so that the rights of terrorists are being defended again. Even if the LotR movies, especially TTT, would remind us of 9/11, I don't see it as a bad thing.<P>Ah, this has nothing to do with the books, he-he. So I stop (just had to have my say, sorry.)
Gryphon Hall is offline   Reply With Quote