The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #41
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

mano, mano those are pretty deep thoughts.

some times...i wonder...how come legolas' tights never got ripped or stained??

...i wonder...how come butterbur was so forgetful??? hasnt he ever heard of ginko biloba???

thats all for now ~ happy haloween [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #42
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

~ why Denethor didn't bother to save on fuel by throwing himself in the Minas Tirith beacon.

~ why Faramir didn't just push him in himself.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:19 AM   #43
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
~ why Denethor didn't bother to save on fuel by throwing himself in the Minas Tirith beacon.
It's a long jump... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anywhen...

Ever wonder how Gollum uses his nose and ears as a watch/clock/time-telling device?

Quote:
He listened and sniffed, which seemed, as they had noticed before, his usual method of discovering the time of the night.

(LotR, Book IV, Chapter 7)
Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->banakil on mumakil
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:10 PM   #44
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Out of pure egotism, I revive this thread.

From the TTT movie...
Ever wonder...

~...if Faramir and his men have teleportation?

~...what happened to Glamdring, and why Gandalf hits the Uruk-Hai with his staff?

~...how Gimli understood "Pendraith!"

and, most importantly(not from the movie)...

~Ever wonder if LotR is payback for 1776?

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod

[ 12:30 AM November 27, 2003: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #45
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The first line of the Kings of Rohan was burried on the West side of Edoras. The second was on the east. Ever wonder where the third line would be (ie where Eomer was burried)?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-24-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #46
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ever wonder why Luthien does most of the work but Beren gets most of the credit?
Ever wonder how can Imrahil be related to Nimrodel, even distantly, if there were only 3 unions of Elves and Men?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-24-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #47
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ever wonder how Gildor can be Inglorion (ie son of Finrod) when Finrod didn't have a wife?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #48
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Question Ever wonder...

...why Tuor became immortal if Beren could not/was not allowed to?
...how Tuor was able to get to Valinor past the Enchanted Islands and the Shadowy Seas without the help of a Silmaril?

...if other people are wondering about the exact same thing?
...how any unanswered questions there are still to wonder about?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-24-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #49
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ever wonder why Fingon has to be the Lord of Hair (from fin+kano)?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #50
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ever wondered why Frodo and Sam did not hear Boromir's horn?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #51
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ever wondered why Frodo and Sam did not hear Boromir's horn?
They probably did, but didn't turn back.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #52
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
They probably did, but didn't turn back.
When talking to Faramir, Frodo is surprsed at his story, and has to count how many days ago was that and what was he doing on that day. If he heard the horn, wouldn't he just know?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Ever wonder why Luthien does most of the work but Beren gets most of the credit?
Ever wonder how can Imrahil be related to Nimrodel, even distantly, if there were only 3 unions of Elves and Men?
I was caught by that too-- what I didn't realize (until after I had written about it) but there were only three NOLDORIN unions of elves and men. Tolkien doesnt count the silvan unions. Mithrellas was silvan, and she wedded Imrazor, a man from Dol Amroth (which probably wasn't named Dol Amroth at the time?)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #54
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
I was caught by that too-- what I didn't realize (until after I had written about it) but there were only three NOLDORIN unions of elves and men. Tolkien doesnt count the silvan unions.
Eh? Since when was Lúthien a Noldo?

However, the actual line (LotR Appendix A) is "There were three unions of the Eldar and the Edain". Not all Elves are Eldar. Tolkien later (see History of Galadriel and Celeborn) cast the Silvan Elves as descendants of the Nandor, thus Eldar– but this wasn't so at time he wrote the Appendices to Lord of the Rings. In "Of the Elves" (Appendix F), it's stated that "The Elves far back in the Elder Days became divided into two main branches: The West-elves (the Eldar) and the Eastelves. Of the latter kind were most of the elven folk of Mirkwood and Lórien..."

Apart from that, the marriage of Mithrellas and Imrazôr is presented as more of a tale than an historical fact: "The legend of the prince's line", "the tradition of his house" etc. (History of G & C again). So maybe it's supposed to be off-the-record because nobody's sure if it really happened.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #55
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Apart from that, the marriage of Mithrellas and Imrazôr is presented as more of a tale than an historical fact: "The legend of the prince's line", "the tradition of his house" etc. (History of G & C again). So maybe it's supposed to be off-the-record because nobody's sure if it really happened.
How would you explain Imrahil's beardlessness, then?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #56
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
How would you explain Imrahil's beardlessness, then?
I'm not saying the Dol Amroth-ites aren't meant to have some Elvish blood, but just that it appears no-one's sure exactly how they acquired it. So it doesn't have an"official" standing, if you see what I mean.

The main thing, though, I think, is that at the time Tolkien wrote the Appendices, he didn't consider Silvan Elves to be Eldar anyway.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #57
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Interestingly, for the first edition Tolkien wrote that there were three unions of the High Elves and Men, and only much later in the 1960s revised this to Eldar and Edain. By the time of this revision, Tolkien had come to think of the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood and Lorien as Eldar, but...

Quote:
Nerwen wrote: In "Of the Elves" (Appendix F), it's stated that "The Elves far back in the Elder Days became divided into two main branches: The West-elves (the Eldar) and the Eastelves. Of the latter kind were most of the elven folk of Mirkwood and Lórien..."
Music to my ears Nerwen! Plus Appendix F (on translation) notes that the term Eldar referred to the Elves who had passed Oversea save the Sindar only: which I take as meaning only the Sindar -- of those elves who did not pass Oversea -- were considered Eldar.

It makes sense compared to the other citation from Appendix F, as the Sindar went just about as West as one could go without passing Oversea -- thus the West-Elves are the Eldar, and the East-elves are not (though not necessarily Avari). Tolkien never revised these author-published descriptions.

And so the legend of Mithrellas ('Grey-leaf'?), if true, did not include a High Elf in 1955, nor an Elda in the revised editions.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #58
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Ever wonder how Gildor can be Inglorion (ie son of Finrod) when Finrod didn't have a wife?
Inglorion, if it contains -ion 'son, descendant' (as I would suggest it does) would mean 'Son of Inglor'. Who is Inglor? As I'm sure you know, you were never supposed to know Inglor was 'once' a name of Felagund externally -- noting that Tolkien himself never published that Inglor was Felagund's name, he simply first published that Finrod, but not Felagund... was Galadriel's father!

ahem

So you can't really wonder this unless you know the 'unpublished' background, (otherwise you could not state that Inglor was once a name for Felagund) -- and once you know the background, you realize that Inglor is only 'Finrod' in an abandoned sense, and so...

... ever wonder who Inglor is?

And you can wonder if Inglor as Felagund had a wife at the time Tolkien wrote or published Gildor Inglorion. I checked this out myself, and I think (IIRC) I found out that it was possible enough, for JRRT didn't always think that Inglor/Finrod had had no wife.

Quote:
Ever wonder why Fingon has to be the Lord of Hair (from fin+kano)?
The Shibboleth of Feanor explains...

'It would have been sufficient for Fingolfin to give to his eldest son a name beginning with fin- as an echo of the ancestral name, and if this was also specially applicable it would have been approved as a good invention. In the case of Fingon it was suitable...'

So in my opinion Findecáno would have really 'meant' commander with an ancestral (and suitable) prefix added. If Fingon had been a true Sindarin name it might have conveyed 'Hair-shout' rather, if interpretable at all, but in this case Fingon was just a Sindarization of his Quenya name in any event.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #59
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
... ever wonder who Inglor is?
I happened to, once. That brought me to do a quick google search, that revealed that Inglor used to be the name of Finrod in earlier drafts.