The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 11:09 AM   #1
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting "Boo!" "EEK!" Freaked out?

Have any of you guys ever gotten seriously freaked out while reading one of the books or watching one of the movies? I remember a month ago when I was reading this part in the Fellowship:
Quote:
"Look back, Mr. Frodo! Do you see anything?"
On the far stage, under the distant lamps, they could just make out a figure: it looked like a dark black bundle left behind. But as they looked it seemed to move and sway this way and that, as if searching the ground. It then crawled, or went crouching, back into the gloom beyond the lamps.
Hoo dogey! Reading that at night in a dimly lit room was NOT a good idea. I had to keep looking outside at the Road beyond my window to see if there were any Black Riders there. It gave me the chills!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The stupidest mistake I ever made was to read from The Barrowdowns chapters to The Prancing Pony and then walk down the garden without a torch. Do not try this at home. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My friend and I were at a week long camp last summer, and, wisely, had brought our copies of LotR with us. We had just finished reading "Shelob's Lair" and "The Choices of Master Samwise" when our group leader came and told us to turn off the flashlight and go to sleep. We decided to do just that, but first a stop at the restroom was in order.

The area of the campground where our group was was some distance away from the main camp, a narrow road connecting the two. Halfway between areas, the road went down into a hollow, from which no light from either camp could be seen.

The restrooms were up in the main camp.

My friend and I, with only a half-dead flashlight to light the way, had to walk down that road, and back, not being able to see anything on either side of us, and wondering if Shelob would be jumping out at us at any moment. The tree branches all looked eerily like spider webs, and every noise made us jump. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Don't read "Shelob's Lair" or anything to do with Barrow-Wights or Nazgul while camping in the middle of nowhere...
Old 06-04-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

When I was little I loved the cartoon, but parts of it reeeally scared me. Like the bit in The Prancing Pony, when the Black Riders are about to kill the pillows/hobbits. *shudders*
Although in retrospect, it was the Fellowship I should've been scared of....especialy Boromir.
There were some in the books, but I'm too fried from exams to think properly.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Actually, not much in the books actually scared me... when I got to the parts of shelob's lair, I just couldn't put the book down (heck, I don't care what part I was on, I coudn't put it down)
The only thing that truly creeped me out, was behind the scenes of the movie...
They did some pretty creepy things on their free time [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Never, ever sit in the dark and watch anything where Frodo opens his eyes suddenly.

*shudders*
Old 06-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Never ever let anyone sneak up behind you when you are reading any part concerning the Nazgul approaching. And don't let them do that while you are watching the movie. A really bad thing to do is to have someone sneak up behind you and tap you just as the Nazgul plunge the swords into the empty beds at The Prancing Pony.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Sting

Funny, I must not scare as easily as you people. There was no point in either the movie or the books that I was extremely scared to move or do anything...though I think they made the Nazgul in the movie look quite creepy, they just don't scare me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
Elvanui
Animated Skeleton

Elvanui has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got extremely freaked when I was up late reading ROTK and Sauron's army started hurling the defaced heads of the Gondorian defenders over the walls...<shudders> But if you want to freak some one out in real life and have a bit of fun too, get a teenybopper who claims to be a LOTR fan but only watches the movies and tell her that Legolas gets bloodily decapitated in the final movie...I did that to my sister's friend, the frihgtened noise she made was funny [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #10
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only time I've ever been 'freaked out' by LotR is when I first saw the movie. The whole "The Ring has awoken, it's heard it's masters call" got the best of me, so did "It wants to be found". But it only added to the story and difficulty of the journey. In TTT I jumped when the elves at Helm's Deep all turned their heads toward the screen, dude that scared me [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Well, ok. I'll admit it. I've never been so scared of a fictional villian as I have been of Ringwraiths *shudders* I've gotten over it since though [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Quote:
But if you want to freak some one out in real life and have a bit of fun too, get a teenybopper who claims to be a LOTR fan but only watches the movies and tell her that Legolas gets bloodily decapitated in the final movie...
Ohhh! I must try that!!!!! bwahahahahaha!
Old 06-05-2003, 04:42 AM   #12
Elentarimir
Wight

Sting

Must find teenybopper...... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:54 AM   #13
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Evil people [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually I'd prefer to tell him that he is corrupted by the Ring, kills Frodo, and turns into an orc. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But that's my cruel head *hangs head in shame*

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:35 PM   #14
Galadriel9
Haunting Spirit

Galadriel9 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

VERY good idea, will make it my number 1 goal to do so in the following week... (mental note to self - also TRY to pass exams this week, even whilst on Mission:Teeny-Bopper ) Also, just so I keep to the topic, I was kinda freaked out by the whole Gollum/Smeagol conversation in the book, and I'm sure I would have been freaked out by the Nazgul in the film, had I not seen French and Saunder's spoof of The Fellowship, BEFORE seeing the actual film...so...I was just laughing..sorry...will shut up now... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, the part in the movies that freaks me out to no end is Bilbo's scary clown face. You know, he's alright, he's fine, nice old hobbit DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT THING? !!!!!!!

Lindril (runs out of the theatre) Arvilya
Old 06-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #16
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
But if you want to freak some one out in real life and have a bit of fun too, get a teenybopper who claims to be a LOTR fan but only watches the movies and tell her that Legolas gets bloodily decapitated in the final movie...
I know, I've quoted this before.. but I finally did it!!! bwahahaha! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] oh man, that was so funny! She started screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and was nearly in tears.. I, however was nearly in tears from laughing so hard!

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 06-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #17
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

We told my Leggybopper friend that Legolas dies in RotK and that he's gay. Muahaha. And she believes it. Tsk, tsk, tsk...children.

And I know this is offtopic, but it's been bugging me for the longest time: Elves have Elven sight and Elven hearing, but do they have an Elven sense of smell too?
Old 06-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
oh man, that was so funny! She started screaming "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and was nearly in tears
Bwahahahahaha!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] So funny!!! Right on, ElenCala, I so have to try this!

Another fun thing to do is to scream like a Nazgul when you see the movie in theaters. My friends went to the midnight show of TTT when it first came out (without me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ), and one guy was dressed up as a Ringwraith; whenever someone would stand up in front of him he would shriek at them. And he seriously sounds just like a Nazgul too!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Needless to say, people stopped getting in front of him...

I plan on doing this when RotK comes out. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Quote:
A really bad thing to do is to have someone sneak up behind you and tap you just as the Nazgul plunge the swords into the empty beds at The Prancing Pony.
I know!!! My friend has done this to me, (and I've done it to my other friends) and it's just about the scariest thing! I screamed so loud my mom actually came downstairs to see what the heck was wrong.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #19
Elvanui
Animated Skeleton

Elvanui has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

About the teenybopper thing...I did that to my sisters friend and her eyes got really big and her voice got really squeeky. It was even funnier however, when I did it to my mom b/c she was trying to justify her liking of LOTR to her non LOTR sister with "I only like it because Whats-his name is just sooo cute to look at" so I told her he dies. She buried her head in her hands and I laughed histerically...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can also scream like a Nazgul, and my ear shattering shriek has frightened many.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:00 AM   #20
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

What realy LOTR thing that did freak me out is the Nazgule in the games. Yes the Nazgule the FOTR game kinda scare me. So do the Barrow Wights in the downs. Mainly 'cause you can't see them well. I think the makers of this game are pretty cool in actually making the creatures a bit scary. In the movie the only thing that got me was the fall from Orthanc, this happened because me and my cousin like to sit in the Second row from the screen (yes we have to sit with our feet on the chairs in front) but it was weird. It felt like you were falling with the camera. In the two towers however My freinds that I have gone with don't like sitting there. They have to sit in the top of the theater.

In the book not much ever scared me except the times I was so engulfed with the book that I jumped when some one disturebed me. Mainly Robert Molden. But alas, I havn't seen that guy in a year.

Yes the teenbopper thing will work I tell you. Now just to find one who hasn't read the books and who won't send me a bomb in the mail for spoiling the movie.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #21
Elentarimir
Wight

Silmaril

On Monday, I'm going to go talk to my friend who hasn't read the books and is a total Legolas fan...... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Unless I already told her that Legolas doesn't die [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , in which case I will go find a different Legolas fan to torture..... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 05:11 PM   #22
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*claps hands* Back on topic, children!
Old 06-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #23
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is all going to sound SOOOO corny. When I read "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" and they were trapped in the tomb and kept saying about "They are coming" and "We cannot get out" that really scared me. I felt like I could hear the drums. My heart was really acing. Whenever I re-read it I don't understand why it got me like that, but it did.

Oh, and in the film the two bits that still make me jump are Bilbo's scary moment and when the troll peers around the post at Frodo...
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #24
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Mrs. Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was similarly freaked out by the drums and almost passed out when the troll found Frodo behind the post.

Bilbo's little creepy moment, that's a different story.

I went to the bathroom during that part the first time I saw the movie, and didn't see it. However, when I finally got to see Bilbo's moment: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I also was quite scared of the Orc Army at Helm's Deep...

[ July 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mrs. Frodo Baggins ]
Old 07-13-2003, 05:36 AM   #25
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

it was a late winter night when i was reading the Moria- chapters for the first time. i was so tired that i had to put the book away and start to sleep...i tried but i was so scared that i just shaked under my bedspread and that wasn't funny! the Ringwraith in the Shire freaked me out too.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:15 AM   #26
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

What freaked me out was that before I watched FotR, I knew exactly how Celeborn would say "Eight there are here yet nine there were set out from Rivendell," and before I watched TTT I knew how Gollum would say "cold be heart and hand and bone, and cold be travelers far from home," and I never saw the previews. I thought for a while that it was because of the books, but those lines aren't in the books like that.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:24 PM   #27
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

I tried that "tell her that Legolas gets bloodily decapitated in the third movie..." with my little sis (here known as "Who the heck is that?") and she said, "Cool!" Ai, ai, ai. I must try that with someone else.

Anyway...

When I read the books, I wasn't really freaked out very much. I did become convinced that the Ringwraiths were real, however. It did not help my fear of the dark.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #28
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Quote:
"Look back, Mr. Frodo! Do you see anything?"
On the far stage, under the distant lamps, they could just make out a figure: it looked like a dark black bundle left behind. But as they looked it seemed to move and sway this way and that, as if searching the ground. It then crawled, or went crouching, back into the gloom beyond the lamps.
that part freaked me out really bad! And the snuffling really scared me too! the way it was described was so creepy! Gollum really scares me, I'd scream every time I saw a preview for TTT with him in it. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:32 PM   #29
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

In TTT, the part that freaked me out was when the Uruks are slamming their spears into the ground. That whole part made my heart pump like crazy.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:24 AM   #30
*nevquesseiel*
Pile O'Bones

*nevquesseiel* has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Its really bad when your all rugged up together on the couch watching the movie and just as the nazgul start stabbing the beds, someone pinches you with their toes!! I had no idea it was my friend and it really hurt!!! I jumped a mile into the air. . . [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Visit my Elfwood Art page!!
*nevquesseiel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:39 PM   #31
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Nazgul really frighten me! One night, I was acting foolish and kept telling my sister to close the door, that there were Nazgul everywhere. Then, when I turned out the lights to go to sleep, I kept thinking I was seeing a cloaked apparition behind my open door. I kept turning my light on to reassure myself that it truly was only a shadow.
One evening, I was watching FotR and talking on the phone to a friend. It was during Galadriel's prologue and I had never seen the movie before (my mom bought it that afternoon). I was right up close to the telly when Sauron's head fell right in front of the camera! I must have jumped a foot in the air and three feet back!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #32
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
In TTT, the part that freaked me out was when the Uruks are slamming their spears into the ground. That whole part made my heart pump like crazy.
That scared the bajeezers outta me, but when I went for the third time at like 9 PM. Everything in these movies becomes much scarier (obviously) at night, and some other parts that freak me out when viewed late include the when you first see the Nazgul in TTT, Grisknakh, the Black Gate scene, evil Treebeard [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] , and Weathertop. None of them scare me during the daytime. Hopefully PJ will make the Witch-king, Mount Doom, Shelob, and the Mouth of Sauron frightening.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:20 AM   #33
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oh that would be so cool to read the books out while you are on a trip in nature. It kind of makes you feel you are on the quest too!

I never got really freaked out at all while I read the books, but when I saw the movie the places where Bilbo resists the ring, and the first time you see the eye of Sauron flash on screen were the two times that I kind of shuttered in my seat.

Oh, but to read the book, by flashlight, in a tent, at night, so cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]