The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #3721
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
EDIT: Ah! It's in this post, so appears to be working. It isn't in my old posts, though. Do signatures only show in posts made from the day one sets them, then?
No, the signature is supposed to appear under all your posts, unless you unchecked the box to show your signature before you made the post (or went to the advanced edit where you can also do it).
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #3722
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah yes! Done.

Just wanted to say what a lovely site I think this is. The Barrow-Downs is a haunting and "less obvious" choice of name for a Tolkien discussion-site, and it's fascinating to think of that part of the book, which tends to (understandably) get left out of dramatisations, and wryly amusing to have statuses like "Ghost Prince of Cardolan" or "Pile O'Bones." Reminds me of all the intricate details and unknowns of Tolkien's world. And great to read the thoughts of a wonderfully "bookish" bunch of posters, too.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #3723
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Just wanted to say what a lovely site I think this is. The Barrow-Downs is a haunting and "less obvious" choice of name for a Tolkien discussion-site, and it's fascinating to think of that part of the book, which tends to (understandably) get left out of dramatisations, and wryly amusing to have statuses like "Ghost Prince of Cardolan" or "Pile O'Bones." Reminds me of all the intricate details and unknowns of Tolkien's world. And great to read the thoughts of a wonderfully "bookish" bunch of posters, too.
I'm with you here. There are forums named for Rivendell and Minas Tirith and all kinds of other good places, but I think it's much more fun to be an evil cyber wight of the Downs than an Elf or a Gondorian warrior.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #3724
Alasse379
Newly Deceased

Alasse379 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Lol Hi guys :D

Hi everyone I've been a fan of Tolkien ever since I first read the Hobbit when I was 8 years old (I'm 14 and a half now). I'm really looking forward to contributing on this forum and having really deep confusing conversations involving way too much Elvish with all of you Cheers!

Alasse

p.s. sorry if any of that sounded sarcastic, it's just my natural way of writing things
Alasse379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #3725
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Alasse! Find yourself a snug barrow and feel at home! The more the merrier!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #3726
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome, Alasse! You'll have a good time here

And no, you didn't sound sarcastic
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #3727
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mae govannen, Alasse!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #3728
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Alasse379!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #3729
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dűm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
And yet again I show up promising posts... I hope to do this. I want to write a paper on how archaeology would work in Middle Earth. I don't know where to start or if I should post up a thread. What do you all think? And where should I post a discussion about this?

Hi! Wow! I joined almost 10 years ago.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #3730
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome back Annalaliath!

I think you should start a thread about it in the Novices section. I shall try to give some suggestions, and others will too.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #3731
SonofUgluk
Pile O'Bones

SonofUgluk has just left Hobbiton.
Hello

Hello there everyone , Dan here . Been a lurker on this site for a long time and have decided to sign up so I can post some questions and join in the general fun & games on this great forum
SonofUgluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #3732
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofUgluk View Post
Hello there everyone , Dan here . Been a lurker on this site for a long time and have decided to sign up so I can post some questions and join in the general fun & games on this great forum
Hi and welcome to the board (nice nickname, btw. I approve). Hope you're going to enjoy your stay here and find answers you seek and interesting topics to talk about and things to do!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #3733
SonofUgluk
Pile O'Bones

SonofUgluk has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hi and welcome to the board (nice nickname, btw. I approve). Hope you're going to enjoy your stay here and find answers you seek and interesting topics to talk about and things to do!
thanks Legate , ugluk is one of my favourite (if not my favourite) characters ! cheers 'n beers
SonofUgluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #3734
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, welcome! Join the insanity!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #3735
NazgulQueen
Newly Deceased

NazgulQueen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulQueen Send a message via MSN to NazgulQueen Send a message via Yahoo to NazgulQueen
New here. Lovely site.

Last edited by NazgulQueen; 03-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.
NazgulQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #3736
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wilcuman, bienvenue, mae govannen.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #3737
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to you both, SonofUgluk and NazgulQueen! I hope you enjoy things here.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #3738
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalaliath View Post
And yet again I show up promising posts... I hope to do this. I want to write a paper on how archaeology would work in Middle Earth. I don't know where to start or if I should post up a thread. What do you all think? And where should I post a discussion about this?

Hi! Wow! I joined almost 10 years ago.
Welcome back!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #3739
Mrs. Boffin
Newly Deceased

Mrs. Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings!

I've joined within the last hour, and I'm very happy to be here. Do people here just jump in to a thread that looks fun or should I wait to be invited?

Thanks from Mrs. Boffin
Mrs. Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #3740
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You are very welcome here, Mrs. Boffin, and you can just jump into any discussion you like, or if you don't find one about a subject that interests you, go ahead and start a new thread!

As a mod, I haven't referred to our FAQ, Guideline, and Forum Policy threads in awhile, so I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone to read them. However, no one is hard on newcomers here, so even if you make an honest mistake, don't feel bad. Just refrain from spamming, flaming or off-topic posting, and you'll be just fine.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #3741
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, welcome! Good to see more posters!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #3742
Mrs. Boffin
Newly Deceased

Mrs. Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you for the welcome! I forgot to ask if I can bring my margarita in with me. (I am quite sure Gandalf must have been able to conjure a blender with that staff of his.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
You are very welcome here, Mrs. Boffin, and you can just jump into any discussion you like, or if you don't find one about a subject that interests you, go ahead and start a new thread!

As a mod, I haven't referred to our FAQ, Guideline, and Forum Policy threads in awhile, so I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone to read them. However, no one is hard on newcomers here, so even if you make an honest mistake, don't feel bad. Just refrain from spamming, flaming or off-topic posting, and you'll be just fine.
Mrs. Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #3743
Uruk's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Uruk's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, everyone.

Hi, I'm obviously new here. I am a big LOTR fan (books especially, but also movies), and look forward to talking about it with you guys!
Uruk's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #3744
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hi Uruk's Bane! Welcome to the ranks of the Undead! (good nick, by the way ) I see you've made some great posts already. Awesome start! Thumbs up for you!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #3745
Uruk's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Uruk's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hi Uruk's Bane! Welcome to the ranks of the Undead! (good nick, by the way ) I see you've made some great posts already. Awesome start! Thumbs up for you!
Thanks!
Uruk's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #3746
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Let me second that commendation of your nick, Uruk's Bane. Enjoy being dead!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #3747
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hi... I'm MCRmyGirl4eva.. and I've loved the movies for ages. However, I only had Fellowship and ROTK. So I read The Two Towers to catch up last year, since there was stuff in ROTK I didn't get. After that, I read Fellowship and Return of the King, and I saw how much had been left out. I still love the movies, and I have TTT movie now, but the books are better

Last edited by MCRmyGirl4eva; 04-30-2012 at 05:34 AM.
MCRmyGirl4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #3748
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome aboard, MCRmyGirl4eva! Enjoy being dead! (a joke you wouldn't have gotten have you not read the books )
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #3749
Elora
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

At last, I found the magic key, or rubbed the magic lamp thrice or spoken the elvish word for friend.

I'm back in, again. Locked myself out for years (7 if memory serves, an auspicious number) having reset my password to a random string of alphanumeric characters and changed email addresses in the intervening period.

Time will tell if I get back into RPing. My hands are full co-writing a fourth age piece with my husband and my real life paying job. So, it may be some time before I daintily dip my toes in that murky RP pond again.

Doesn't appear that much has changed on the Barrows. Comforting, that, in a way. Like my small, rural, home town. No matter how long you're away, the place looks largely the same when you get back. This is a good thing. I know this.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #3750
Took_Gamgee13
Newly Deceased

Took_Gamgee13 has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, I'm Danny. I'm 14. I found this forum a while ago, and decided to get an account yesterday. Mainly because I'm tired of having no one to talk to about LOTR. It's sad. I think I'm starting to annoy my friends (I made them all watch the movies and am working on getting them to read the books). So yeah. Hi.
Took_Gamgee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #3751
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome to the Downs. Nice to have some more young blood (in a non vampiric way of course!!).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #3752
Feadhros
Newly Deceased

Feadhros has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril New

I glad to join here, look forward to many facinating conversations with all of you
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #3753
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Hello Took_Gamgee and Feadhros (both rather creative names ). Welcome, enjoy the food...oh and obviously the conversations too.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #3754
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, welcome!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #3755
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Big welcomes to all new member!! May your stay here be pleasant and long (much like a rather large number of us deceased) and full of conversations an entertainment!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #3756
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*waves to Elora and all the new members* Welcome!

If you aren't into RPGs or the games in Mirth, there's a new chapter by chapter discussion of The Hobbit to whet your appetite for proper Tolkien just in time for the movies.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #3757
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elora View Post
At last, I found the magic key, or rubbed the magic lamp thrice or spoken the elvish word for friend.

I'm back in, again. Locked myself out for years (7 if memory serves, an auspicious number) having reset my password to a random string of alphanumeric characters and changed email addresses in the intervening period.

Time will tell if I get back into RPing. My hands are full co-writing a fourth age piece with my husband and my real life paying job. So, it may be some time before I daintily dip my toes in that murky RP pond again.

Doesn't appear that much has changed on the Barrows. Comforting, that, in a way. Like my small, rural, home town. No matter how long you're away, the place looks largely the same when you get back. This is a good thing. I know this.
Woo Hoo! My sweet is back in the Downs!

Welcome to the Barrows Feadhros & Took_Gamgee!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #3758
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, my name is Glorthelion (Glorfindel and Ecthelion) and I am 16 years old, a middle earth enthusiast. I hope to enlighten myself in this wonderful forum and hopefully share some of my limited knowledge of Tolkien's legendarium. I have been obssesed with middle earth since I watched the return of the king move by PJ. It was a great movie and I have lost count the number of times I watched that movie. I recently undertook the endeavor of reading the Lord of the rings.

I have read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and the lord of the rings. I hope to read HOME some day.

Glorthelion.
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #3759
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorthelion View Post
I hope to enlighten myself in this wonderful forum and hopefully share some of my limited knowledge of Tolkien's legendarium.
Welcome to the forum Glorthelion. I must say, not only are the two elves in your name amongst my favorite Elves (personally Fingolfin is tops though)...but also approving of the quoted flattery. Flattery is always appreciated around here.

Cheers and enjoy the 'Downs.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3760
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I second Boro on all counts. Welcome!