User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2003, 09:43 AM   #201
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At hearing a call, Hirlilaelin turned around. It was the young woman she had spoken to earlier! "Astarielle!"

Astarielle walked up to her. "Hullo, nice to meet you," Hiri said to her. "We are investigating this." She pointed down to the ground a considerable crowd was starting to gather. "Someone seems to be stuck in the coal cellar chute."

Astarielle laughed, then looked down where the mop of hair could be seen. "Why would they be down there in the first place?" Hiri shrugged her small shoulders.

"Well," said Astarielle, "I was just looking for you!"

Hirilaelin grinned and said, "One person took notice of my speech then! Do you want to go back inside the inn for a drink, and are you going to stay long? I myself am new to the Shire."

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-22-2003, 03:56 PM   #202
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

Farrehn has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A long figure clothed in a green velvet cloak made her way down to the Green Dragon. She saw from afar a crowd gatherd about against the Inn, and wondered to herself what was happening. She strode up to the crowd and tried to look around the Elves, Hobbits and Men gathered against the Inn.

"What pray is going on?" she asked to no one in particular.

She was half-Elf, for her mother was of Elfkind. Her father, however, she did not know, so she only introduced herself as a half-Elf. Her hair was long and golden, with gemlike eyes that shifted between the sea's green and sky's blue. She was fairly short for an Elf and twice a light (if possible) her hands were slightly curved with jagged knuckles hidden in her pale skin.

"Hullo! What is happening?" seh asked louder after a while being unanswered.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Farrehn ]
Old 01-22-2003, 03:58 PM   #203
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

"Yes I would like that very much, as it is getting a bit chilly" said Astarielle. " We can work out how to get the hobbit out of the hole"

The two friends stepped into the warmth of the inn and made thaie way through the crowds to the bar. Astarielle says "I am sorry for not talking to you earlier but I was weary from my journey and needed to rest. If I do not reply to you in future it is because I am meditating but I will get back to you in the next day or so"

"So are you and elf, a hobbit or some weird half breed I am not familiar with?" Astarielle said to her new found friend, Hirilaelin.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #204
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hiri and Astarielle sat down at the bar, and Hiri ordered two ales.

"Well," began Hiri, "I am a hobbit, and I have just moved here from Bree. My mother wanted to live somewhere quieter." She grinned. "I like it here, though I don't really know anybody yet." Picking up her ale, she took a sip. "Where do you come from?"
Old 01-22-2003, 06:49 PM   #205
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lumiel continued to sit in the corner by herself, merely watching, but not joining the others in the tavern. She sighed. She ached badly for companionship, but she still felt shy around most people...namely the elves, she thought mentally with a sigh to herself.

So many people had plans, they were discussing them merrily with friends. She had no real, set plans in mind. But she did have a Quest to complete. As she gazed once more around the Green Dragon, she noticed an elven woman walking in, with light, golden hair and strange eyes, so similar to her own. She watched with curiosity as the maiden's eyes shifted from a frothy sea green to a beautiful baby blue, like the sky. She was glimpsing in this woman what other people saw in her own face when they looked at her. She instantly felt a kinship with the woman. She wondered if she should introduce herself or not, her shyness struggling with her curiosity.

As she pondered this, she realized that the woman was asking a question. This would be a good opportunity to introduce herself.

"Vedui, friend! Nothing is going on besides the usual for a tavern such as this, though my experiences of taverns are very few indeed. My name is Lumiel."

((spoken to Farrehn))

As she spoke, she waved to call the woman's attention to where she sat as she smiled warmly, her own eyes going from a dark, grey blue like a winter twilight to a warm moss green of summer.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #206
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Pippin laughed at the whole cole chute inccindet, but not too loud, for she dodn't want Cami to hear her. "Say Pip," said Merry smiling "That reminds me of the time you got stuck in that mud near the Forest and I had to pull you out!" He laughed loudly."You sure looked nice when we got home, covered in mud from head to toe!"

Pippin grinned evily at him "And it also reminds me of the time you fell out of that tree and nearly hit every branch on your way down." She too laughed loudly at this "The poor tree!" Merry nudged her in the side hard when some of the guests looked up,amused.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 AM   #207
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The dark haired lady turned her keen eyes upon Laurie and softly asked for a drink. She looked very tired, and Laurie quickly went to fetch her a warm cup of tea. But returning with the mug in her hand, Laurie saw that the young woman had fallen asleep where she sat, her cloak fallen forward hiding her face once again. Setting the cup down softly, Laurie tried to make her a bit more comfortable before leaving her to rest.

Laurie walked to the bar, and unaware of the events outside, wondered where Pio and Cami had run off to...
Old 01-23-2003, 02:32 PM   #208
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Rave woke up again some time later. The long sleep had worn off, and she decided to go outside to tend to her horse, Melimo, for a short while.

As she walked outside, Rave noticed the day had grown much later than she had thought. The sun was very high in the sky as it shone down brightly on the vast landscape of the Shire. This truly was a magical land much different than that of which she had seen.

Upon entering the stables, Rave brought over a stool and set it beside of Melimo to sit upon. She began thinking of home as she stroked the horse's beautiful, white hair. These memories quickly brought back an eager question to her mind of which Rave had wondered for years. The mystery of her past brought sadness to her eyes.

Getting up once again, Rave decided to return to the inn and see if she could find anyone who could help her in the search of her past. She once again opened the door to The Green Dragon and entered quietly approaching the bar.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 01-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #209
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami was upstairs taking a very, very long bath. She could not present herself downstairs until her face was washed and her clothing changed.

She got out of the tub and slipped a clean gown over her head. Then she headed downstairs to the Inn to see if any help was needed. She devoutly hoped that no one remembered the incident of the coal chute, or the strange words that had been spoken by the two cheeky hobbits just before she'd come into the kitchen.

Still, coal chute or not, she was in a happy mood, and went downstairs singing a sweet hobbit air.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:15 PM   #210
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Having fixed herself a mug of tea for her own, Laurie rested her elbows on the bar and warmed her fingers, grasping the cup close. The steam rose up and made her eyes tear from the heat, but it felt pleasant against her face and began to turn her cheeks a pinkish-red. There was a low murmer of the customers talking around her, filling her ears and soothing her soul. Laurie began to wonder where her paths would lead her and how long she would stay at this pleasant inn. She began to watch the motly assortment of peoples around her, wondering from whence they came and where they would be going...

To her suprise, Laurie noticed the young lady who had fallen asleep, enter the inn and walk towards the bar. She seemed to be searching for something, or someone. Laurie watched her approach with curiosity, and when the lady glanced in Laurie's direction, Laurie looked into her eyes, inviting her to come over is she wished.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 01-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #211
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

(((Responding to Lumiel)))

She turned when she noticed someone speaking to her and smiled.

"Well met Lumiel! I am Farrehn Silvertip. From the Northlands! But I fear I do not know the language of the Elves, for I was never raised by them. Forgive my shrewdness," she introduced, folding her hands over her clavicle and touching her chin, then bowing. It was the custom of how she was raised.

"It is well to know a friendly face is such a pleasent place," she smiled again. Her eyes shifted from their color to a green. The warmth of her smile showed she was neither shy nor anxiouse.

"Well, since this is no ill matter, I shall come and sit with you, if you would have me," she offered to Lumiel.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Farrehn ]
Old 01-23-2003, 05:44 PM   #212
Eruwen

Tolkien

Rave looked up as she came closer to the bar. The woman she had seen earlier seemed to be sitting there---and looking her direction! With a slight hesitation, Rave walked up and approached the woman.

"Hello," Rave began as she sat down in a stool next to her. "I don't believe I got a chance to introduce myself earlier. I guess I was just a bit tired from my long journey. I'm fine now though. My name is Rave."

"Welcome to the Green Dragon Inn." said the woman. "I am Laurie of Rohan."

"Rohan?" Rave said surprisingly as she took the cup of water she had ordered. "I indeed am from Rohan myself. Although, I do not deny I originally was from another city. Maybe you could help me on this? I was looking for someone who might know of how I first arrived there. I was so young, I do not remember much. All I was told is I was of another land, a different people than those I grew up around. Would you know anything of this?"

Laurie lowered her head then looked into Rave's bright, green eyes. Rave could tell this woman did not have any answers for her. Hope faded from her heart as Laurie answered.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #213
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Well met, Farrehn Silvertip. Please, come join me."

Lumiel motioned to a seat at the small table where she was sitting, and watched as Farrehn walked over and sat down, smiling pleasantly.

"It may surprise you that I was not raised by elves either, though I know their tongue. You look elven, I'm surprised you do not know elvish."

She realized that she was prying into business that did not concern her and looked away, a rosy blush coming to her cheeks as her eyes seem to shift to a shady blue-grey.

"I do not mean to pry into your business...that was not right of me to ask. But I am curious...." Lumiel kept her head down but shifted her gaze up to Farrehn with polite curiosity, which helped to accentuate her youthful appearance, which was young even for an elf.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #214
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio stood behind the counter of the bar making a list of the supplies they would need to carry them through the next week. Head bent over the paper before her, she ticked off each entry with her pen as she estimated what it would cost. Despite the outlay for the party, it had been a profitable fortnight for the Inn. They could well afford to lay in a few luxuries and extras for their customers.

She paused for a moment, smiling, and stared off into space, eyes unfocused. The song came unbidden to her lips, and she sang the words softly to herself.

“O fare you well, I must be gone
And leave you for a while:
But wherever I go, I will return,
If I go ten thousand mile, my dear,
If I go ten thousand mile . . .”

Mithadan was on his way to her, and her heart leapt at the thought of it.

It was a two month journey from Gondor to the Shire on horseback. Just enough time to get to the Shire before the twins were born. He had left the day he received her letter, riding hard to the north and west. And he did not tarry as he passed through the country side along the Great West Road, only stopping for food and sleep and a change of horse as was needed.

Her thoughts were on him now as he rode the last stretch from Edoras to the Fords of Isen. She sensed his delight as her mind brushed his. We await you, beloved! she called to him. Keep safe as you ride to us.

Pio bent back to her task, her eyes refocusing on the list before her. Still, a smile played about her lips, and she placed her hand lovingly on the swell of her belly. Soon, sweetings, soon. Your atar is coming. They pushed against her hand, gently, in response.

She could not help but notice that Cami was also in a good mood. The Hobbit wore a soft, dreamy look and she, too, sang as she walked down the stairs. Pio waved her quill at Cami, and catching her attention, motioned her over. She patted the seat beside her and bade the Hobbit sit with her for a moment.

From under the counter she brought forth her silvered flask of miruvor and two small silver cups. ‘It appears we both have something to celebrate today, little Andreth.’ she said quietly. She poured them each a measure of the jeweled nectar.

‘Mithadan rides north to the shire. He will be here in a month’s time. In time for the birth of his son and daughter on Midsummer Day.’

She raised her cup to Cami and drank it down. ‘Now tell me, what is the news you wish to keep so secret. Bilbo spoke to me in part of it. But I questioned him not on the details until he could speak with you . . .’
Old 01-24-2003, 12:48 AM   #215
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami nestled into her seat and took a little sip of miruvor to give her strength. It slid down her throat with such sweetness, yet it burned hot against her lips and mouth. Not too different from the rest of life, she thought.

"Pio, I'm glad that Mith will be coming. I know you'll be happy, and I'll be very glad to see him. I also have news. But my news carries a little sadness and a great deal of joy. I scarcely know how to explain this. And I am afraid the tale will not be short."

She stopped a minute and thought, then started speaking again in a softer voice. "You probably know more about this than I do. I have never been to the West as you have." She looked curiously up at her friend, not wishing to cause her any pain, but she saw no hurt or regret, only curiousity and concern reflected in the depths of Pio's eyes.

"Bilbo's time has come to leave Tol Eressea and go forward on his final journey." Cami spoke the words slowly, wishing that she could will them away. But truth was truth, and it was better not to deny it.

"For the most part, he's ready to go. He believes that Frodo is healed enough to continue on his own. That's a tale that bears telling another day. I do know that Bilbo purposely waited until Frodo sorted out a lot of things that were left over from the dark times."

"But Frodo wasn't the only hobbit whom Bilbo befriended. All through the years, Bilbo reached out to some of the younger hobbits in the Shire, inviting them into Bag-end to listen to stories or share his love of Elves and adventure. Most were distant kin like Angelica Baggins, or Merri, or Pippin. A few were neighbors like Sam and myself. He's always felt a little responsible for us, and, to the extent that he was able, tried to keep an eye on how we were doing."

"He spoke with Gandalf in Tol Eressea, and, to be truthful, I'm not totally sure what happened. It sounds as if he may have dug in his heels and refused to go anywhere until he was sure all the youngsters he'd known in Hobbiton were comfortable with the choices and lives they had made."

"Gandalf answered many of his questions, and Bilbo was relieved, since all his friends had managed to resolve things on their own and were quite happy with how their lives had turned out. That is, all except one." Cami's voice sounded wistful and just a bit embarassed.

She sighed and went on. "Gandalf told Bilbo about the Star, and how the book he gave me as his farewell gift led us on a chase for lost sea hobbits and hobbit history. Pio, Gandalf told him everything,....everything, including what happened to Maura and I. Even some unpleasant things that have happened in Greenwood that you and I haven't had time to discuss. I think Bilbo felt responsible for some of those things, even though he really wasn't."

"Pio, you don't know Bilbo well, but I will say this. He can be an amazingly stubborn hobbit! And, to tell the truth, Gandalf has always had a soft spot for him. I take it there was a considerable amount of squabbling and disagreement in a minor hobbity sort of way, but in the end the three of them--Gandalf, Bilbo, and even Frodo--came up with a plan to set some things right."

Pio looked over at her and smiled, "Go on! You've captivated me with a long and mysterious prologue. Now I'd like to learn the rest."

"I'll try, but there are parts I don't understand myself. It has to do with dreams and special places, and how sometimes you have choices, and sometimes things happen that aren't really supposed to happen. So then there may be ways to help straighten things out." She sighed and went on, "I don't even understand how I got here. I went to sleep one night after speaking wth Gandalf, and I woke up in this bed! Anyways, I don't think hobbits were meant to untangle such difficult knots."

Pio looked over and laughed. Cami was being unusually cryptic. The Elf took her hand and said with some emphasis, "Forget the confusing part. Tell me what's happening now."

Cami blushed, and looked Pio in the eye. "You have to promise to tell no one this, absolutely no one. Not Mithadan, not Bird, not a single person. Not now and not later. Gandalf will come. He has a letter for me, a letter in which Maura will ask for my hand. And, if I accept, we will be allowed to marry and spend a few brief weeks together to seal our vows. And then that time will end, and we will part again, each of us returning to our own age." Cami said it very calmly and quietly as if she were describing the most natural arrangement in the world.

"I'm not sure how or why, but that's what's being offered to me. I think Bilbo understood something even I have been reluctant to admit. Maura and I were intended to marry. Now we have a chance to fix that mistake."

"Cami," Pio's voice was very gentle, but with an underlying tone of urgency. "Are you sure you want to do this? That hurt has healed a little. If you see Maura again only to lose him, will you be able to go on?"

Cami shook her head, "I don't think of it like that. Not at all. Whatever I do or say, Maura and I can not be together in this life. Nothing is going to change that basic fact. But I do have a choice. I can be apart and be Cami Goodchild, or I can be apart and be Camelia Took. I want to be Camelia Took, I want to spend what time with Maura I can. We have parted before and I have learned to live with that. That won't change. Even Gandalf can see that, or he would never have agreed to this idea."

"I'm not interested in anyone else, not now and not later. At least not in that way. I have spent the last two months in Greenwood, beating off every eligible hobbit bachelor who would like a piece of me. At least if I was a bride or a widow, I would have a good excuse to chase them all away!"

"I have made up my mind on this. I don't need advice from anyone. But I would very much like it if you could help me prepare for my wedding, and stand up for me."

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 AM   #216
Rosemary Took

Sting

The hobbit who had been stuck in the coal shute had just reappeared in the inn while Rosemary drank her tea. The hobbit, who she now knew was Cami, and her elf friend, Piosenniel were in deep conversation so Rosemary decided to ask for a room later.

The commotion from earlier on had died down and everyone was back at their seats. They all seemed to know each other in this place, except herself. Looking outside the sun was shining and the Shire had never looked so beautiful. She hadn't been to this area of the Shire since she was young yet she still remembered how much she had loved it. It seemed so nice out doors Rosemary decided to go outside and breath in some fresh air.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Rosemary Took ]

Old 01-24-2003, 01:20 AM   #217
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Of course I will stand up for you! You should know better than to have to ask.’ Pio wrapped her arms around her friend, and grinned. ‘There is one minor consideration, though, that we need to take into account.’ Cami frowned at this two edged answer. ‘And that would be . . .?’ she detested it when the Elf started thinking too critically about a problem. It usually meant some chart or map would be pulled out and the solution to the problem dissected and plotted.

Pio raised her eye brows at Cami, as if discerning her line of thinking. Smiling, she pulled the vellum calendar from beneath the counter and spread it out before them. Her finger ran down the page to Lótessë, the month of blossoms. ‘Here’s where we are right now.’ she said, eyes fixed on the calendar, her index finger on 20 Lótessë. ‘This is 21 Thrimidge, here in the Shire. In forty one days it will be Loëndë, Midsummer’s Day. That is the day the twins will be born.’

It was Cami’s turn to raise her eyebrows at this statement. ‘That exact day?’ Pio nodded her head and went on. ‘In a month’s time Mithadan will be here. And I have sent out messages to Bird, also. Though I have not heard back from our wandering friend as yet.’

‘Messages?!’ sputtered Cami. ‘I’ve seen you write one letter in all the time I’ve been here. What messages? Do you sneak out in the dead of night to put them in the Shire Post box?’

This sort of message, Cami. Though I must admit even it has its limitations. No matter how I tried, I could not find you in the time to which you had gone.

Pio withdrew the osanwë link and resumed speaking normally. ‘So, what sort of timeline are we working on for you and your wedding to Maura? Surely Auntie Cami will be here to hold the little ones for a little while.’ She glanced briefly at her friend’s face to gauge the answer to this question. ‘Mithadan is bringing the quilt, Cami. I should like you to carry back the memory of the little ones asleep on it.’ She waited for the thought of that to sink in and hook her.

‘We could plan it now, and then carry it off a little while after Midsummer’s Day. Give me enough time to actually be able to “stand up” for you. What do you say to that? Or are we in some sort of hurry to make this all happen very soon?’

She pulled a blank sheet of parchment from her writing box, with a quill and a bottle of black ink. Placing it in front of Cami, she dipped the pen in the inkwell and handed it to her. ‘I think we should make a list and start doing what we need to do to see this accomplished.’ Pio watched as Cami wrote ‘Wedding List’ in her fine script at the top of the page , leaving a space just below it to write in the date once it had been determined.

Cami’s attention was focused on the task before her. She did not see the perplexed look cross Pio’s face. ‘How in Arda, am I to hide this from Mithadan and Bird?’

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-24-2003, 04:12 AM   #218
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Astarielle sat down and took a long slow sip of her ale. She paused, licking her lips and said "This is good ale."

She turned to Hirilaelin and said in slow yet dutiful tone, "I am form Mirkwood originally yet I have travelled the lands of Middle Earth since I could ride. I know exactly where I have been but never where I will go. I travel where the wind takes me guided by fate. The world is my home"

"I dont know how long I will stay here but all I know is that I was sent here for a reason. If a quest comes along I know I will take part."

Astarielle stared hard into the cloudy swirl which was all that remained of her ale. She looked up and asked Hirilaelin, "Are you looking for a quest too?"

Astarielle started humming an elvish tune while she waited for a reply.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #219
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie smiled with satisfaction when Rave admitted she had come from Rohan. So I was right, though she does not resemble the Rohirrim... Her thoughts trailed off as Rave's next words explained further. Laurie bent her head and though hard, her forhead crinkling. A moment later, she lifted her head and looked into Rave's bright eyes, shaking her head.

"Oh, Rave. I wish I could help you, but I know nothing of this. But surely there are some clues, from the family you grew up with or the person that brought you to Rohan?" Laurie forced a small smile encouragingly, "I can at least tell you your parents were not of Rohan, judging from your dark locks."
Old 01-24-2003, 09:08 AM   #220
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The table in the corner had been silent for too long. Elwen spoke up breaking the silence and shattering it in to a thousand pieces.

"Well my friends," spoke Elwen wiping away the tears that still lingered on her cheeks. " the turn to tell a story has moved again. I know that it seems to have missed me but my story was told in brief by the fair Lady Nostawen. Now I feel it is Erulon's turn! I desire to know much of this wanderer how knows much of me! so newly met friend will you not tell us I story? one of how you came to bear such titles that you hold and how you found a friend in every race that I know of?"

Elwen gazed across the dark oak table, stained by much use. Her eyes looked for something that seemed hidden, it puzzled her, but she smiled. and flicked her hair over her shoulder, leaning back in the leather chairs.

Turning to Lady Nostawen she whispered, " this should be a tale to here if what i have hear and read is true." Nostawen nodded her agreement she too had read something hidden within Erulon. But both waited patiently for the tale to be told all in good time!

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #221
Eruwen

Tolkien

Rave smiled a weak smile. "Thanks anyway." she said with dismay. "I doubt anyone could help me at this point. After this long of time, I pretty much just gave up hope. Who knows, my real family could be dead by now. I was just a child when I came upon your city."

As she took a sip of her water, Rave felt her heart sink. Once again she was left in the dark to her past. She looked up at Laurie.

"So, what caused you to travel all this way from Rohan?" Rave said trying her best to forget the past and move on. "I know that it must have been a long trip over."

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 01-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #222
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Filling a large pitcher with foaming ale, Pio made the rounds of the Inn’s tables to see to the guests. The tray she carried held the ale as well as a large pot of sweet-spice tea, and a bottle of red wine from Rhun. There was also another treat she had recently gotten in, from a trader just up from the hot southern climes. And as she stopped at each table, she left a small dish for the guests to try.

‘Just throw the shells on the floor!’ she said to Merry and Pippin, as they broke open the fibrous casings and munched on the nut within. ‘That apparently is the custom in the southern Inns where these are served.’ She poured the two of them a pint each of ale, and went on her way, crunching the shells beneath her foot as she walked off.

‘Marvelous!’ cried Laurie, in delight, as her fingers popped open another casing and skillfully deposited the nut in her mouth. ‘What are these called?’

‘Peanuts, I believe he called them.’ Pio leaned down to pour a drink for the woman and her table mate. ‘He said they were one of the treats the handlers would give the oliphaunts.’

As she passed the window, on her way to the green cloaked lady and her companion, she spied Rosemary outside, enjoying the pleasant spring day. Pio stopped at Lumiel’s and Farrehn’s table, leaving a dish of peanuts, and full mugs.

Turgon still slept on the floor, his snoring quite loud. Two of the sturdier Hobbits had helped Pio earlier pull him to a quiet corner where he would not be tripped over. He rolled to his side as she passed, mumbling something about glittering caves. A smiled creased his face, and she knew he was happily wandering some bejeweled underground cavern. ‘Happy spelunking.’ she murmured to him as she passed.

The quiet table had come to life, its occupants now conversing among themselves. She left them a generous supply of peanuts and filled their mugs to keep their throats from parching.

At last, she returned to the bar, where Astarielle and Hirilaelin sat, sipping their drinks. ‘Nice Spring day, ladies!’ she said as she topped their drinks. ‘You should be out enjoying the pleasant weather before the rain clouds gather.’ She plopped a bowl of peanuts between them and went back to see how Cami was coming on her list.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #223
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Elf walked slowly into the Green Dragon. Returning was always painful. Looking around and seeing how things had moved on without him, how people had carried on their lives, unaware of his absence. It was the same anywhere. He had thought that the inn wouldn’t affect him. He had spent so short a time there, spoken to few, and impressed none. Why should they miss him? But still he felt a strange emptiness. Knowing that you’ll always be alone is all the more agonizing when you know everyone else has someone to share their pain with. They all have someone who cares. No one can care until they understand, and he knew they’d never understand. He didn’t want them to. He would be alone. Always. He appreciated that there were those who tried to get close to him, help him, but he knew they weren’t sincere. They had their own troubles. But he didn’t want help. Pride held him above the others. He would make it. Everything would work out in the end.

It hadn’t been long since he’d left the place, and yet it seemed to him that it had been ages since he’d sat beside the fire, drinking ale and enjoying the warmth. He looked around. Everything was as it had been when he had last visited. Customers had left, more had arrived, but everything was very much like it had been before. He looked to the table where he had sat. But for him things had changed. He couldn’t sit around drinking ale. He needed sleep, and after that he would move on again. That’s how it would always be. His arm was painful, and he was tired. The dust had once again settled on his cloak, where it was joined by more dirt and blood. He sighed, and made his way awkwardly and stiffly across to where Pio stood by the bar.

“You wouldn’t happen to have a room for me would you?” his voice reflected the fatigue and pain he was suffering from. “I could do with some rest.”

With that he stood back to wait for her answer. He took the opportunity to remove the hood again. His hair was dusty, his face unwashed. He stumbled slightly as he stepped away from the bar, and put his hand on a nearby tabletop to stop himself from falling to the ground. He just needed rest. Just rest. That was all. Everything was going to be fine.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 01-24-2003, 02:36 PM   #224
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hirilaelin sipped her ale,savoring its taste, and listened appreciatively to Astarielle's tune before repling to her question.

"A quest?" Hiri laughed. "A hobbit such as myself? Nay, I am sure I would be much to timid for such grand adventures as quests."

Astarielle smiled. "Have you ever had a chance to test your courage? A fire can often bloom of you blow on it a bit."

"A fire Astarielle?" Hiri took another sip. "This is good," she muttered. "A fire? Now you," she said, "look like you could have a fire. You are an adventurerer! A traveler! I am," she paused, "as I said before, a simple hobbit lass."

Astarielle sighed. "You do not do yourself justice, I'm quite sure. You can be surprised how quickly you become bold, when the need arises."

"Ah well, enough of this subject!" replied Hirilaelin to Astarielle's comment. "Tell me of Mirkwood! I know that, long ago, it was a place of evil. Great spiders, darkness..." She involuntarily shuddered. "I hate spiders. Anyway, tell me of it now! What is it like?"

Sipping her excellent ale, she waited for Astarielle's reply.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Hirilaelin ]

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #225
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Quote:
"So, what caused you to travel all this way from Rohan?"
Laurie sat back and smoothed the fold of her white dress. She smiled a little as she contemplated her next words, but her thoughts were disrupted as Pio stopped by the table with a basket of funny looking nuts. Laurie nibbled on the end of one cautiously before enthusiastically popping the rest in with an exclamation of surprise.

Quote:
‘Marvelous!’ cried Laurie, in delight, as her fingers popped open another casing and skillfully deposited the nut in her mouth. ‘What are these called?’

‘Peanuts, I believe he called them.’ Pio leaned down to pour a drink for the woman and her table mate. ‘He said they were one of the treats the handlers would give the oliphaunts.’
Laurie's eyes widened and her jaw dropped as Pio walked calmly off to another table. She turned back to Rave who was also eating the strange peanuts and surveying Laurie's expression with amusement.

"Did you hear that? She said oliphants! I thought they were only the stuff of nursery rhymes and old wives' tales! Do you think she was perhaps joking?" Laurie added with a hint of skeptisism; she had often been laughed at for being so gulliable.

Rave laughed and shook her head. "I do not know, I have heard rumours that such creatures exist so perhaps she was telling the truth."

Laurie mulled over this in her mind for a few minutes, snacking on more peanuts as she thought. A moment later she turned back to Rave's original question.

"My home is Rohan, as said before. My father, Eodane, would take me with him on business to Minas Tirith. He is very involved in the relationships between the two countries, and I was his companion on the long rides between home and the White City. Because I was so young, I was allowed to sit in on the many political and theological discussions held in the Tribunate of Merethrond. From these discussions, I learned much about the world outside and the world of elves always fascinated me more than anything else, I could never hear enough of the old tales. Often times, the soldiers and ambassadors from Dol Amroth would tell me the old stories, and even taught me a few basic phrases in Elvish." The lady in white bent her head and sighed before continuing her story.

"I was not content with such knowledge, however. I wanted to see everything for myself and experience such things first hand. So one day, I bid my father and brothers farewell and left with my horse Nell, a few provisions, and an old map. It was extremely rash," Laurie admitted with a laugh, her blue eyes twinkling, "and I soon found out that life in the Wild was not easy. But, some way or other, I found my way to this inn. My journeys have not had any definite destination, except that my paths have always been bent towards the sea. I feel I am drawn there, for whatever reason, and someday I will see the sea, whose waves some have described like the wind rippling through the grass in my homeland." Laurie paused and ate a few more peanuts, returning from her memories. She turned back to Rave who had listened very politely throughout. "Until then, I am happy to be here, the people are fascinating and I feel very blessed to have stumbled upon it."
Old 01-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #226
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘A room?’ she said looking him over thoroughly. Her nose wrinkled in mild disgust at his appearance. ‘You look terrible. Get in with the wrong crowd, my friend?’ She picked up the front of his cloak and examined it more closely. As she thought, it was not just grime from the road, and a few falls in the mud. It was blood.

Pio motioned for Cami to push a chair behind the injured Elf’s knees and she pushed him firmly into it. ‘Get my bag, would you Cami. There. Third shelf down on the left.’ She was used to battle wounds, and this was no more horrific than she’d seen before. She peeled off his cloak and pulled his tunic off unceremoniously. ‘Let us not be shy, Elf’ she spoke gently to him. ‘It is either this, or I cut it from you to take a closer look at that arm. Although, by the looks of it, the shirt is beyond all mending.’

‘What happened here?’’ she asked as she considered the jagged wound. It was deep and the flesh around it was swollen, red and hot. He winced as she sluiced water over it, cleansing out the debris. ‘Hold still now. I’m going to pack some healing salve in it, then bind it for you.’ Her hands were cool and they worked quickly and efficiently to get the task done.

She led him back to her apartment behind the bar with the help of another, and laid him down on the couch. ‘Rest for a while, down here. Then we will take you to a room upstairs.’ She poured him a cup of hot water infused with willow bark, and watched him closely as he drank it.

‘It will help the pain, so you can rest.’ She covered him with a quilt, and went back to the Common Room, saying she would check on him later.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:04 PM   #227
Farrehn
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

"I do not mean to pry into your business...that was not right of me to ask. But I am curious...." Lumiel kept her head down but shifted her gaze up to Farrehn with polite curiosity, which helped to accentuate her youthful appearance, which was young even for an elf.

"That is quite all right, Lumiel, I am not withdrawn by curiosity. My mother, Norien, Lady of the Moon, was a fair Elf of the Northlands, far beyond this part of the earth. My father, however, was not of Elfkind, and in his former years was fair and wise among his people. They were cliff dwellers, building high cities fair and white like the peaks of high mountians. I know them well, for I have saught to rebuild them as of late.
My father, Bouthore Scythwing, was the king of my half kindred, the Griffcon. They are not of this world. My mother was decieved in part by him. In the end he killed my fair and sad mother, and by his greedy ways spared me. He brought me up in Shadow and peril and taught me battle and malice. I fled from him in my latter years, and fought against him with Men and Elves in the North. But the Griffcon's song is perilouse, and many fell to his voice and followed him. But I, being half of his kind was not swayed by his song, and in the last hope struck him with my dark blade Cin, and destroyed him on his cliffs. The Free people were relesed from his spell. I came South, in need of healing and peace, for I head these lands were fair and good with healing." Farrehn finished at length. She smiled slightly and reached to her side where her sword, Cin still held his place. She drew the dark blade, slightly out of its scabbard, but dared not to expose the whole thing.
"This is my sword, wrought in evil and shadow, spilling the blood of both Men and Elf, and finally on hisa last strole, my father. I keep him as memory of what evil can do, and what I can do against such powers. Though his handle stings when I hold him, and the blade hates me, I bear him as a warrior would bear a scar from battle, or a fell would by his enemy. He is my past . . . I to forget that would be in itself a crime." she smiled again to show she was not in sorrowed spirits, "I am well, however the outcome came, and I have lived happily since i avenged my mothers death. Do not pity me, for I have paid peril for others." she stopped for a while then looked to Lumiel.

"Well, I have explaied my part of the story, but what of you, Lumiel Elf maiden, why have you not been with the Elf kind in you upbringing? I must hear your story before long!" she said gleefully, willing to listen at all length to Lumiels story.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #228
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Champignonne had waited too long. It was time to leave like a tree. Like most others, she did not wish to go, but she had to. Again, she thought of her mother, and her message to Rivendell. She knew that she would have to come back her at least one more time before leaving, but now she had a case of wanderlust.

The hobbit got together her small pile of things and told one of the kind folk of the inn that she was leaving. She put a few silver coins on the counter, took a block of cheese, &c., and walked toward the door. She turned one final time and sighed. She felt a sorrow, a pure, sweet melanchly, that she had not found any of her kind. Not hobbits, no, but someone with her strange qualities. By no means was she beautiful, but she had greater expectations than what had happened. She cursed herself a thousand times for having not spoken, but the past is past. And thus she silently took her leave, if only for a few days.

Upon her exit, Champignonne looked forward. She saw the shining stars and the full Moon, ruler of the night sky. A courage came to her heart and she began her walk.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:30 PM   #229
Eruwen

Tolkien

"That must have been some quite of an adventure then." said Rave. "I believe I will stay in the Shire for some time. As you said, the people here, these Hobbits, are quite friendly and welcoming to newcomers. It is very peaceful here."

Rave's eyes scanned around the inn, and then out a window near the door. The night had grown very late. No longer would she see the bright sun shining down upon the land. "If you do not mind, I think I will excuse myself and see if I can find someone around here who could show me to a room. It is getting quite late, and I think I would like to retire now. I guess the long ride today really wore me out."
Old 01-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #230
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Merry jumped up and went to the window, Pippin followed "What do you think Merry?" she asked him. Merry smiled "I think we have a score to settle in Maggot's field!"

They said goodbye to the guests they had talked to and ran out of the Inn noisily. The cool night air gave them energy, not that they had lost any to begin with. They were running so quickly, they crashed into a hooded figure along the road.

Dusting herself off, Pippin recognised the other Hobbit, "Champignonne!" she said laughing loudly. Merry helped her up "Leaving are you?" "You never said goodbye!" said Pippin smirking "Didn't think we'd find you eh?"

Champignonne regained her senses and turned to them "Y-ye-s" she stuttered "I am leaving" she felt sad knowing that she may not see them as often anymore "It was wonderful meeting you two Goodbye!" she smiled. They were two of a kind, but she was very fond of them.

To her surprise, both Pippin and Merry hugged her and them turned and ran towards Maggot's fields "We're off to claim our prizes!" said Merry running backwards and waving "We'll see you back in Hobbiton!" called Pippin "If you're ever looking for us, check Maggot's fields and the woods beside them!" "And the Dragon!" called Merry. And with this, they both ran swiftly into the tall fields of Maggot's.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #231
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie realized she had tired Rave with her long speech. It was easy to let one's memories sweep one along and forget those who listened. She stood quickly and searched for Pio, who was entering from the door leading to the rooms above. Laurie laid a restraining hand on Rave's arm and motioned with her head in Pio's direction as she spoke.

"Pio can fix you up with a room, she is the innkeeper here. I'm sorry to have rattled on to such length, I wish you a peaceful and restful sleep." The thought of a warm bed made Laurie realize she too was becoming sleepy and she began to contemplate going up to a room herself.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:39 PM   #232
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry and Pippin were leaving the Green Dragon in a state of such excitement that they did not notice the small red fox that nimbly slipped between their feet and dashed into the bar before the massive oak door slammed shut. And this was very odd, considering that the fox was sporting a bright pink patch of spiky hair on the top of his head, and was carrying a small leather pouch slung across his shoulder.

The fox scampered across the polished floor of the Dragon, dodging the feet of Hobbits, Men and Elves, and with a light spring, landed on top of the bar itself, amongst the glasses and crockery.

Here he doffed his pouch, and rummaging around in it with his nose, pulled out a much crumpled and travel stained letter. This he took in his mouth, and standing on his hind legs, he scanned the faces in the room, as if looking for someone who matched a description he had been given.

The letter was addressed:

The Lady Piosenniel
Green Dragon, Bywater, The Shire
Old 01-24-2003, 11:20 PM   #233
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

A cloaked figure entered the Green Dragon. Emerald eyes cooly scanned the bustling tavern, sweeping quickly over the men, elves, hobbits, and occaisional dwarf that resided within. Several faces turned to aknowledge her entry, but soon turned back to their drinks and tale-telling.

The woman lowered her hood, exposing a waterfall of red-gold hair that cascaded down her shoulders and back. She was clad in a forest green jerkin, brown pants, soft elven boots that came to her knees, and the aforementioned green cloak. One delicate hand rested on the hilt of a sword at her side, the other on her hip.

To all outward appearances, she seemed to be nothing but an oddly-clad woman of the race of men. But this was only half-true.
This woman was named Nahai. She was a Skin-changer, one of a race of ancient shape-shifters that were rare and few to be found in that day and age. Her uncle, Beorn, had fought in the Battle of Five Armies, and had actually met Gandalf the Gray and Bilbo Baggins, the finder of the One Ring of Power. Or so he told her. She was never sure if she actually believed him and his fantastic tales.

She approached the bar and ordered a drink. The dwarf at the counter nodded rather cheerfully and obliged. Taking a slow sip, she looked around her.

There seemed to be quite a bit going on in the Green Dragon. Some people told tales, others sang songs, and many were contented to just sit and listen. Nahai for her part took in everything, applauding the story-tellers and minstrels when appropriate. Half of her wanted to be one of those lore-spinners, wanted to share some of the ancient stories of the dying race of the Shifters. Her other half questioned if anyone would want to hear them. At last the first half won out. As the last note of song faded away, she stood and cleared her throat.

"Would anyone care to hear a tale from a lone adventurer?"

Old 01-25-2003, 04:48 AM   #234
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Falathion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Putting the hand to his head, Turgon opened his eyes just a little bit. The pain would not allow for widdening them more.

"Bah! By Illuvatar! Does all orcs in middle earth march over me head in this very moment!"

He shook it and tried to force forward his focus, but to no help.

"Some mess this mornin brings yeh, Turgon Hardhammer."

He said to himself, letting go of a great sigh as he staggered to his feet.
Dimmly looking around him, he found that he was standing in a corner of the inn, out of everyones feet and everyones eyes. He chuckled to himself, and felt a light inch in his back.

"Shure these hobbits know to give a drunk a confortable bed to sleep off his ale,"

he said to himself chuckling.
Looking around him, he suddenly saw Pio comming out from a room behind the bar. Turgon staggered over as best he could.

"Mornin to yeh, my dear hobbit!"

Turgon said with an ironic grimace on his face.

"Morning, master Turgon. How are we feeling this morning?"

"Not too well me can assure yeh. Would there be possible to get some breakfast for me belly and some cold running water for me throat?"

Pio nodded, and Turgon went over to the table where he had been drinking the evening before.

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Falathion ]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:11 AM   #235
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He lay back with a reluctant sigh. He was no better than that guard of Gondor who had visited the inn in need of healing a while back. He had been scornful and unsympathetic as he had watched Pio heal the man’s wounds, and now he was in the same situation. He was weak. The thought plagued him, and no sleep came to him. The drink he had been given lessened the pain of his arm, and now he felt strangely numb, but it did not however take away the sting of defeat. His mind could not rest while he carried the burden of weakness. He was weary and needed sleep. Darkness seemed to swirl before his eyes, and finally, sleep came. But it was not the friend he had known before. In his sleep lay troubles of the past, and nightmares of lies and treachery, anger rekindled by newfound hatred.

Hours passed, and Erdaminéon slept fitfully. He was cast into a world where he walked in shadow. There was nothing. Nothing. There never would be. And nothing made sense. He woke, covered with cold sweat. The drink had worn off, and there was a stabbing pain from his arm. He sat up painfully, and looked about the dark room. He could hear voices from the Common Room, happy voices. Voices that did not know of the dark things that lurked outside the Shire. Or of the dark things that lurked almost on their own doorsteps. His cloak was gone, as was his tunic. He began to search franticly, oblivious of his pain, for his sword and bow. His bow he saw nowhere, in fact he didn’t seem to recall having it when he’d entered the inn. Nor when he’d ridden his horse back to the Shire. He knew he had worn his sword beneath his cloak though. He would never have left the precious blade, regardless of what dangers he had to face for it. He felt fear close in on him again. He closed his eyes and sat in the dark, the throbbing pain a mere irritation now. There was no light to see by, and he couldn’t continue his search in the dark. He sat to wait for Pio’s return.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:26 AM   #236
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Quote:
"Would anyone care to hear a tale from a lone adventurer?"
Bali excused himself from the table. "Wait a minute to begin your tale, Erulon. There appears to be another new traveler here, which I would like to meet."

He ambled his way over to the strange new woman. She was dressed like a wood elf, but appeared to be of the race of men. A long sword hung at her belt, and her left hand was fingering the hilt.

Bowing low, Bali swept off his cap and greeted the new arrival. "Ah, if your lookin' for good listeners, I know just the place for you. Come over to my table, and the others will be just thrilled to hear any story you got! But first, would yea like a pint of some ale, perhaps? Its mighty fine at this inn!"

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 01-25-2003, 11:37 AM   #237
EAM

Pipe

Nobody ever noticed a young hobbit girl seated in the corner, silently playing with the golden ridges of her cloak. She had never been here before, and the strange conversations puzzled her. And still, nobody seemed to realize she existed.

Had someone looked at her, they would have realized that she did not look like the normal Hobbiton sort. She looked more like a Brandybuck, or a Took...the golden ridges spoke for that. Her golden eyes, with brandy-brown flecks in them, looked anxiously around her.

Maybe she should speak to someone - no, not yet. She'd wait until someone noticed her. No one knew her name...yet.

Old 01-25-2003, 12:45 PM   #238
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Don sighed and gazed out the window. Rie was elsewhere, and the hobbit girl was left alone. Everyone in the inn seemed to be so happy. Why couldn't she be happy, too? Why did her parents have to die? Why did she have to be separated from the rest of her family? Why couldn't she have a home?

Don saw Rie talking with Nuru out of the corner of her eye. "She left," the hobbit girl whispered. "She wanted to run away from her family. She wanted to be alone. I want a family."

Rie and Nuru were the only ones at the inn who ever noticed her. She was small for a hobbit child, and she felt even smaller with all the Big People hurrying around. She was so small that they never even noticed her. Just Rie and Nuru. And Nuru hardly ever said anything to her. Rie was the one who was really her friend.

But Rie and I don't have as much in common as I thought at first, thought Don. She's runnin' away from a home.... I'm trying to find one.

Don approached Rie and said in a voice that was almost a whisper, "Rie, do you want to go outside for a moment? I... I want to say something to you."

Rie turned to Don, puzzled, and then followed the girl outside.

A soft breeze played through Don's brown curls as she looked around her. The white clouds were drifting by in the sky, and Don turned her dark eyes up to them. "Sometimes," she said, "I wish I could just go and sit on a cloud, and let it fly me somewhere."

"Where?" Rie asked.

"Some good place," Don replied. "Where I'll have a new family. That's what I wanted to talk to you about."

Rie didn't say anything. She waited for Don to continue.

"I guess what I really want to say to you is simply goodbye," said Don decidedly. "I don't have a family, but I want to try to find one. I can't do that by staying here. So I'm going to wander around the Shire until I find someone who will take me." She turned her big eyes to look up at Rie. "But you're the very best friend I've ever had, except for my twin, and I won't go if you don't want me to."

Don looked down at the ground. "Do you want me to go?" she said in a quiet voice. "Or do you think you can find better for me than a new family somewhere out there? I trust you, Rie."
Old 01-25-2003, 02:28 PM   #239
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Astarielle thought long and hard. She finally replied, "Mirkwood was not always a desolate, evil place. It was once filled with joy and mirth. I sacoured this time forever knowing it would soon end."

"My family have sought refuge in Rivendell and some in Lothlorien. However I have found solstice in travelling. Few elves live in Mirkwood now, but I know at some point the evil in those woods will be vanquished."

"I see little of my people, only when passing by. I occasionally meet them when out riding."

"We have no need for grand palaces in Mirkwood, we live simply but proudly. The prince's house is very much similar to that of an elf like me. There is not a lot else I can say about Mirkwood, it was once a peaceful refuge now wrought with evil."

Astarielle turned to Hirilaelin and could tell by the expression on her face that she was listening intently to her tale.

"Tell me about your people Hirilaelin" said Astarielle, Hirilaelin sat up with a jerk.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:35 PM   #240
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Do you want me to go?...Or do you think you can find better for me than a new family somewhere out there? I trust you, Rie."
Rie was not an emotional young lady. She was generally able to keep her feelings below the surface and wait out most of the storm. She did have lots of brothers, after all, and if she got hurt playing she couldn't let them know or they'd tease her. (At least, her twin would.) For the most part, she was able to calmly observe her circumstances, even if she didn't act as the circumstances suggested too often. But this took her completely aback, threw her off her stride like nothing else ever had. She opened her mouth a little, then closed it. This was no time for her normal off-the-cuff remarks, no time for impulsive behavior. She had to think about this. But Don was just sitting there, watching Rie expectantly, waiting for an answer.

Biting her lip, partially out of force of habit and partially to keep back the tears that threatened to come, Rie found nothing to do but fall to her knees and throw her arms around Don. "Don," she said hoarsely. She felt two hot tears running down her cheeks, and hastily wiped them away before the girl could see them. She took a deep, shaky breath and, composing herself, sat back on her heels, her hands on Don's shoulder.

"Don," she said again, this time clearly and firmly, "it's been a while since I've seen my family, but I think about them every night. I know how important family can be. Brothers--and sisters, I imagine--are the greatest treasures a person can have. When my grandmother died, that is, my mother's mother, it was only my aunts and uncles who kept her together while she grieved. My grandsire had been dead since I was a baby. If it hadn't been for her siblings, I imagine that she would've fallen apart. You can't imagine how many times I've looked at you and heard you talk about your family and just wanted to cry, because how could that have happened to you? How is that fair? Child, I almost lost faith in the world after I heard your story." She laughed humourlessly. "But I know that the world isn't always fair, but I realize that I'm an ungrateful, spoiled lass with no appreciation for the blessings that I have."

She took another deep breath. "You have a hard choice ahead of you, Don. A very hard choice. But it's your choice. I don't think that I can interfere.

"Oh, Don, I don't want you to go. You're the closest thing to family that I have here, you and Nuru. But if you feel like you have to go, far be it from me to step in your way! This is your life, Don. You're a big girl, you really are, you're far more mature than I am. I ran away from everything that I had, and I can't go back now. But you're smarter than that--you make up your mind. I'll support whatever choice you make."