Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2002, 09:57 PM   #321
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Valeria, Witch of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Sting

Valeria looks around at the suddenly crowded table and laughs. "What a change of fortune," she sighs. "And to think when I first arrived I thought I'd be spending all my time alone. Well, I suppose some introductions are in order. Everyone, Aireruthiel and her cousin Laitalathion," she gestures to the pair most recently arrived, "Derakis," a nod to the man beside her with a ring to match her own, "and Amron of Umbar." A final nod to the man sitting on her other side. "Everyone acquainted?"
She raises her head and manages to catch Dwarin's eye. He nods and begins filling two pitchers. "Well..." Valeria begins, then pauses. "It seems like we all should say something more about ourselves than our names...Shall I go first?"

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Valeria, Witch of Angmar ]
Old 12-14-2002, 11:06 PM   #322
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Yes well I am hoping to find something of great value to me,a thing that a great craftsmen forged there long ago"He says

"You wouldn't mind introducing me to some others around here would you,I have never travelled here before"

"Not at all"Eruwen sats mystily

"Thanks"Garvadon replies standing up from the bar and draining his jug
Old 12-15-2002, 03:57 AM   #323
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen smiled softly. In her hand was still the silver flute,she placed it slowly on the table, a single silver tear trinkling down her cheek. Closing her eyes, she sighed and began her story.

"I was once a starmaiden, a daughter of the sky. My people and I watched over the spirits tied to Arda, guiding them as we saw fit." Elwen brushed the tears away with her hand. This was painful but she had found someone who would understand and she needed to tell.

"One day I caught sight of an elf, a spirit on Arda, his feet were swift and nimble, his hair soft and silver and eyes the colour of the green grass. When I first saw him I knew he had taken my heart. I could do nothing about it, except watch and wait. He travelled many paths upon this middle earth but I could do nothing but watch and follow him. I begged leave of my Leige Lord and he granted it. Then one night I was pulled from the sky and stood before my love. He had called me from the night to be beside him always. He gave me a name, for stars do not have names. He said it was 'Star maiden' in the high tongue, which indeed it is. Many paths did we walk together. We met friends on our journeys and brought them with us, one I miss dearly Nostawen was her name, but that is another story."

Elwen was putting much trust in this stranger but still she cotinued, pausing only to unfasten her cloak, placing it beside her. Her light spilled out, lighting the space around her. Elwen didn't care who was watching.

"Our journey took us from Ithilien, where I had met my love, to his homeland, Mirkwood it was once called. He desired a blessing from his father, a blessing on our union. It was his little joke for he knew that even if his father said no, we were joined anyway, for our spirits had been interwined at our first meeting. His father did say yes thought and we were bound together in elven tradition before his kindred. That is how I received this ring." Elwen held out her hand, a delicate plain silver ring was on one finger. It glowed not with the light of herself but a light all of its own, it shimmered with white light. Elwen smiled remembering happier days. "It was during our stay in Mirkwood that he began to teach me to play. Though he praised me for my skill, the flute was his and he the only one who could bend it to his will."

"When we left that realm we were to journey to the west and take the last elven ship across the sundering sea, or at least that is what the high queen Arwen Evenstar foretold at our meeting. We were to come to the shire for another traveller, a hobbit I believe but of what connection he was to our plans, I was never told. With me was a Dwarf, the Lady Nostawen and my love. We were travelling through the edge of the forest of Mirkwood, when a giant spider attacked us. I have had dealings with these spiders before, but that is again another tale to tell and one only slightly less painful. In the fight I was knocked unconcious and can tell you know more. The only trace I found of my companions was my loves silver flute, I have carried it everywhere with me. I know that my love would not desert me, so that is why I am here this was to be the next place that we were to stop at." Elwen glanced at the traveller and smiled.

"A long story, even in short and there is much that I have left out. Mainly of the happy times, for the telling is sweet but the reality after is hard to bare. Come now, I have told you of my past, there must be something you could tell me of yours?"

Elwen picked up the flute, holding it gently in her hand. But then she sighed and put it on top of her cloak and turned back to the traveller.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #324
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Eruwen stood up and started to walk over to a table. "Follow me" she said. "I myself only know a couple here. I am quite new myself." She walked over to where Carnil was sitting still. "Hello again," Eruwen said to Carnil. "May we join you?" Carnil nodded at the now 2 new guests.

"This is Carnil." Eruwen said to the Elf. "And Carnil, this is, um, actually sir, I never did catch your name."

"'Tis Garvadon." he replied. "I am the son of Garveron."

"Ah yes, Garvadon." Eruwen said. A noise was heard at the window beside the table as wind blew against it. Eruwen sat up still as if she had been startled by something dreadful. She looked around but saw nothing unusual.

"Well, since you two are aquainted," Eruwen said. "I am sorry to say I must excuse myself for a moment. I---I must tend to my horse out in the stables. She gets very thirsty, you know." Eruwen stood up and went outside once more.

She walked over to the stables and stood by her horse, Mķrie, in the shadows. She watched as people seldomly entered and left the inn. She started to feel uneasy in this quiet peaceful town. It was quite time for her departure. Without saying anything to anyone around, she mounted Mķrie and road off quickly into the dark beyond leaving the beautiful Green Dragon Inn behind. Eruwen hoped one day she would come across this inn again.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 12-15-2002, 04:27 PM   #325
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

A lone figure walked leading a great grey horse, the horse's limp obvious. The figure stopped and studied the green and gold sign swaying in the slight breeze and glittering in the lamplight. "The Green Dragon" it declared. "This will do" the figure said to herself.

Leading her horse around to the stables, the figure was met by a fair-haired Hobbit, wringing his hands and worring, "What a to-do! What am I to tell the Master?"

"Mae Govannen, Halfling. I am Raefindel." she said, pushing her hood off her auburn curls. "What seems to be the trouble?"

The stable-hand looked up seeing the Elf for the first time. "Good evening, Miss Raefindel. I'm afraid I'm in a bit of a fix; You see, Master Dwarin's saddle needs fixin' and the leather worker is out with a broken arm just now. Don't know what I'm gonna do, as I was to have had it repaired a week ago!" He said with a grimace and continued with wringing his hands.

"Well, now let me look at it." The Elf replied, running her slim hands over the leather. "We can't have the Master fretting over his saddle, now can we." She moved to her horse and removed a leather bag from among her things. "I happen to be skilled in leather-working, I will see to your Master's saddle, if you will see to my horse. He seems to have thrown a shoe."

The Elf withdrew an awl and some leather lacing from the bag, and set to work. When she finished she rose and quietly headed for the Inn.

It was loud and bright, and smoke drifted to her nostrils. She wrinkled her nose and walked to the Bar. "Mae Govannen," she said to the Dwarf behind the bar. " "I'll have tea and dinner please." He nodded as she found a table near a story-telling Elf. She listened as Elwen finished her tale. Then nodding to her, the red-head rose and said "Good Evening, Good people. I am Raefindel. I've become separated from my party in the wilderness and have decided to stay here at the Inn until I find news of them" She sat once more and listened to a song a pair of drunken Hobbits sang.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:25 PM   #326
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

Derakis had been sitting for a while, absorbing all of he saw and heard. Finally he spoke, "Well it seems it's my turn to tell my story. I am Derakis, and I come from the Rohan. My journey here has been a long one, though I do not know where I am going. My mother died a giving birth to my younger brother, and my father died 5 years ago defending our village from orcs. Since then I have wandered the lands, searching for knowledge…” He smiled “and a little adventure, too.”

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Derakis ]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:36 PM   #327
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Greetings Derakis. I wonder if in your travels you may have heard news of my Kin? We were traveling from Rivendell on the Great East Road and were attacked by Wargs near the Baranduin. Many of my people were killed in the attack and I became lost from my Party.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 12-15-2002, 11:39 PM   #328
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sadbh's forehead wrinkled as she considered the posibility. Had her horse gotten ahold of walnuts? She tried to remember if it could have been possible. Or maybe, the wood of the tree... Slowly, she gave a tentitive answer.

"Yesss... it might have been possible..." Her rpely was at most, unsure. "He was cribbing on a tree the other night, perhaps it was that..." Once more she racked her brain. "Yes, I'm almost sure." Pictures of the tree came back and she felt assured in answer, but fearful. "Is there anything that I could use to help him?" She wrapped her arms loosley around the gelding's withers.

Now Deorlin considered the possibility. Suddenly an Elfess appeared at the stable door leading a limping horse. She handed the reigns to a pale haired hobbit and strode to the inn. She thought it strange that an elf should be in the Shire. Then she supposed it was no stranger than she herself being in the Shire. She turned back to the pondering Deorlin and asked again, anxiously, "So did you thinkl of something?"

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Sadbh ]
Old 12-16-2002, 12:21 PM   #329
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Dwarin places the two pitchers on the table and Airerūthiel pours her cousin a drink. "Derakis, when I first saw you I sensed the path that led you here was not unlike my own. I have walked the wilds of this lands for five years, following the slaughter of my family when I was just ten years old.

"My mother was of Elven kind; my father, a Man of Gondor. Outcast by their families, they settled halfway between Minas Tirith and the border with Rohan. You may have heard the name of my house in the legends that come around in inns like this every so often: Rocconinquė, the White Horse.

"We had a beautiful open-plan house with its own archery ground and stables - I had a horse of my own, Elenvendė, who was as swift as the wind and whom I loved dearly. As the outcast of my family I did not have many friends save Laitalathion and his brother Maikadurion; I preferred to spend my time reading and out roaming the land around my home by myself.

"Then one night five years ago I woke up to find myself being dragged from my bed by an Orc and into the Great Hall of our house. My elder brother and two younger sisters were already lying dead when I arrived there. Despite the fight I put up to break free from my captors, they bound me and then the leader of the Orcs raised a long knife to my throat.

"I was about to scream when my parents burst in, clad in full battle dress, their eyes shining with the spirit of war. My father charged into the fray; he managed to kill several of their number but was slain himself into the bargain and fell to the floor. I ran to his cold soulless corpse and wept salt tears for his sake; he had been my mentor and I still love him greatly. The Orc that had previously tried to slay me returned to finish his task as I lifted my father's sword and scabbard from around his waist and slung them around my own.

"I turned to see my mother crying, 'No!' and then speaking in her own tongue as the Orc ran her through with his blade. Her blood stained my father's scabbard and still does to this day. I drew Minyacirith and killed the Orcs using what grace had given my mother - I later learnt the words she spoke had allowed her gifts to pass to me and save my life.

"The Orcs put up a good fight though, especially their leader - he gave me my scars. The wounds healed long ago but deep in my heart the pain never stops; it is always there." She looks away as she reveals her injuries of times long past by pulling up her left sleeve, and the others notice a gash on her right cheek. She also has a scar that runs down the entire length of her left forearm.

"Then I dressed in black, chose a hooded cape and various trinkets to remember my family by, and rode west astride Elenvendė until I reached The White Horse Inn at Rohan. There I was forced to sell my horse and the rings and pendants and brooches valued by my house. I continued my journey on foot and have done so for the last five years. At first I sought revenge on the ones who murdered my family and all akin to them, but then I realised this had robbed me of my senses. So I continued my travels in Middle-earth, looking for knowledge but occasionally coming upon a little adventure too.

"But enough of my story! Valeria, I believe you have a tale you wish to tell us all? I for one would be glad to hear it."
Old 12-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #330
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin's brow creased in furrows of thought. Now what was it his uncle had used that one time . . . "Yes . . . yes, I believe there may be some help for him. At least he's not slobbering like an orc - yet! I'll try to mix up something - but the ingredients, I don't have any of them. Let's go to the innkeeper and see what he can provide."

Deorlin gave the sick horse a reassuring pat. "Don't worry, boy. We'll try our best!" He smiled at the young woman, but inwardly he groaned. Poisonings were always tricky, whether horse or human. And he had seen both. He retraced his steps to the inn, the girl trailing in his footsteps.

Entering the crowded tavern once more, Deorlin made his way to the bar and found an elvish looking female taking orders. "Excuse me, my friend here has a sick horse, and we were wondering if you had any of the things we need to physic it - salt, nettle, mint and molasses, or honey would do?"

"Let me ask Dwarin, the innkeeper. I'm sure we can provide the salt, mint and honey - but nettle? It's not a thing one normally keeps on hand to feed hungry travellers - or hobbits!" She turned and went into the kitchen. Deorlin spoke to his new companion. "Don't worry. It looks to me as if your horse isn't too badly off - he must not have eaten too much of the stuff. By the way, you still haven't told me your name, or how you recognised my homeland - or is it a big secret?" he grinned in a teasing manner. "I guess it's a good thing I'm not trying to act as a spy."
Old 12-16-2002, 03:28 PM   #331
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sadbh smiled slowly. "It was quite plain where you were from when I saw that head of yours, but your accent was the first clue." She raised her brow. "I was in Rohan for a while, as I think I've said." She rubbed her cool hands together. "They made a generous gift of that gelding, who is quite a good animal when well." She added on an after thoguht, "I suppose all of the horses of Rohan are quite good mounts and companions."

"As for my name, I'm called Sadbh. I've been out on the road for quite some time, looking for, uh, travelers from Dale. They'd be wearing the royal standards, I think. You wouldn't happen to have seen them?" Her voice was hopeful.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:22 PM   #332
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Elwen told a touching story, and one that was familiar to Soronūmė. He could certainly relate to it, and now the maiden was asking for his. Soronūmė fell silent then smiled to the maiden, "Yea I believe it is my turn now m'lady. As yours my story is not that of happiness and it pains me to talk of my past but your story cannot have been easy to share, so here is mine..."

"My brother I spoke of earlier was not my brother by blood, though by everything else I considered him to be. You see, I grew up with a family other my own. I can't say why, I was too young to remember. I may have been abandoned or orphaned, but either way, a couple took me in and raised me as their own. They were the only family I have known. They had one son, Ithalion. He was older than me and acted as a guide to me in a strange land. He was a good friend and I had a great affection for him. We would travel great distances exploring lands.
However one winters morn, my brother Ithalion took himself off without telling his parents nor me. I became very worried for him, he had never gone without warning before that day. I went out into the woods to look for him but after several hours I became weary and took rest under a Willow tree. Resting my eyes I dreamt of a beautiful wild horse, deep grey in colour with a long flowing mane and tail. I approached the horse and it was suprisingly tame. He led me off into the mist of the morning, onto a clearing surrounded by tall trees with weeping braches, the morning dew still resting on the crisp grass.
I awoke under that tree, but I was no longer weary. It was in that clearing I found my brother lying still and cold on the ground. Ithalion's body was motionless but in his hand he held a single willow branch bearing two slender leaves. I took my brothers hand and laid it upon his chest and my heart fell heavy. As I moved his hand the willow branch twitched and one of the leaves fell upon Ithalion's heart. I raised my head to see the horse from my dream on the edge of the clearing.”
Soronūmė. was now very sorrowful, but determined to continue his tale. He told Elwen how he had taken Ithalion’s body back home and how he had refused to say anything about what had happened to his parents, living in silence for weeks. How he had seen the same wild horse every day since the death of his brother, which was still unexplained, and had named his Salixrana, willow-wanderer.
Eventually Soronūmė. finished his tale which culminated in his travels to the Green Dragon Inn and his meeting of several good friends.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #333
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Achae lurched forward with each bump the cart hit, the ride had been anything but pleasent since she had gotten on a few hours ago.
What lovely creatures these Hobbits were, she thought as she looked at her companions that night. They were very understanding of her situation and had almost immediately asked her too join them.
You see, Achae was just a simple girl of around seventeen, merely a child by many's standards. She was from Dale, the lake town, she had left to satisfy her thrist for adventure. Now she wondered if she had made the right choice, she thought she may have gotten too much adventure already.
"Ah, this is where I'll be getting off," exclaimed Achae as she lept off the horse-drawn cart," I'll leave you with a farewell and a thanks for your fine hospitality!" She gave a small smile trying to be polite, and watched as the cart left her in the road, surrounded by a cloud of dust...
Old 12-16-2002, 08:55 PM   #334
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Carnil is still sitting and looking around and at her empty mug of ale when suddenly she sees a mysterious elf walk in dressed all in black she takes a good look at his face and realizes who he is and she starts to pannick she quickly pulls her hood over her head and tries to hide her face from the elf the elf stares at Carnil and suddenly gets a glimpse of her face and goes after her

Carnil quickly gets up and runs from the elf and the chase begins the elf finally catches up to her and corners her and pulls down her hood and says "Carnil i knew it was you i told you, you cannot hide from me" and Carnil shouted back "Leave me alone!!" and Carnil punched the elf in the face and the elf then threw a white powder in her face and Carnil's world went black she collapsed on the floor in a deep sleep.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 PM   #335
DireLAnce

Tolkien

A tall, lean figure wrapped in a black cloak, with the hood pulled up to cover his face, walks into the green tavern, heading almost instantly to the farthest corner, sitting silently. The hood turns silently, the only sign of the figure moving, and he keeps quiet, watching those around

Old 12-16-2002, 09:27 PM   #336
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Valeria smiles at Aireruthiel. "It's true, I do have a story and I think I have carried it alone for long enough."
She takes a sip of her ale to wet her throat, then begins.
"I was born north of here in the country known as Angmar, the same land that once belonged to he called the Witch King. My mother raised me in a hidden castle deep in the mountains. I never knew my father."

"My mother and the other women there, whom I learned were also witches, trained me in magic, swordplay and archery, as well as minor healing arts. It was a happy childhood, like living in a great house full of kind elder sisters...Then, three years ago, I woke up one morning and my mother was gone."

"I asked the other women where she was, but they would not tell me. Sometimes I wonder if they even knew. All they would say was that it was time for me to take my vows. I learned then what they had not told me about themselves and the place where we lived."

"Our castle was called the Citadel of the Twelve and the women were the Witches Twelve...now eleven with the departure of my mother. I was to swear an oath and take my mother's place. I was deathly afraid, but I swore...and now I am the last of the Twelve."

"You see, the witches had felt a darkness stirring, especially in the northlands. They wanted to fight it, but knew not how. The idea came upon them to forge a blade with which to attack the darkness, and into that blade they infused their magicks and their very souls."

She pauses in her tale, fingers absently running over the hilt of her sword.
"They chose me to wield the blade, and gave their lives that I might protect the lives of others. I left the Citadel that day and have not been back since. I traveled the land, doing what I could. When I could stand the road no longer, I found my way here, hoping for some warmth and companionship."
She smiles at the other seated around the table. "And my hopes were answered. I thank you for letting me tell my story. It has been kept for time enough."
She reaches for her mug, the red gem on her finger glimmering in the light. It did not escape the notice of those around her than she never once mentioned her ring.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:34 PM   #337
DireLAnce

The Eye

he listens silently to the others telling their stories, and removes his hood with an idly flick of his hand. his face is of a lean human's, with a scar over his right eye, most liely from s sword. he has a small golden stud in his lower left ear, with a thin gikd chain runnign to a clamp on the upper ear. He settles visibly, seeing no swords drawn, or glances in his direction

Old 12-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #338
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Amron had been siting, siping his ale and smokeing his pipe listening closely to the tales of his new companions. He realised that there eyes now turnd to him, and were politely wateing for his tale.
"Well" he said "I gess its time to tell my tale" he looked down at the floor ther was an uncomfortable silence and then he began, "My tale begins in the far south, past the lands of Rohan and Gondor, in the mighty haven of Umbar. I was born in to a powerful family, at one time we had ruled Umbar and all the lands near by, that was until the dark lord returnd, and long years of war with our kin in the north desimated our once noble city." at this point Amron seemed to have an ashamed look an his face, "Many was the time that I sailed at the head of a radeing party, pludering, burning, and killing all up the cost of Gondor. You see from an early age I was told of the land of Numenor were my people came from, and I was told that the men of Gondor where decended from the rebels who betrayed the king to the total distrution of that blesed island. When I was in my 25th year a messenger from the dark lord came to my aged father commanding him to lay down his position as lord of the city of Umbar, my father was a proud man and he refused as he was lord by right of heritage. Nothing more was heard of it and I left the very next year, on yet another rade with the men of Harad our allies, when I returnd I found my family murderd and Umbar being ruled by a lap dog of sauron, at first I thort of nothing but revenge and started an uprising weth what was left of my household, but the power of Mordor quickly put it down." Amron now looked up with a strange look in his eyes a deep fire seemed to burn within them. "I had to flee from my beloved city. I came to the land of Gondor and there found the truth, that far from being desended from treacherous rebels, they were noble and good, the only thing standing between freedom and the total victory of the lord of Mordor. I repented for my sin's against the peoples of Gondor befor the seat of the steward of Minas Tirith and told him of all that knew that could help him and his people in ther struggle with Mordor. I lived in that city for a while but i soon set out, wandering the lands of middle earth looking for companionship and adventure." He looked around, an uncomfortable silence came over the group again 'this is why I dont tell my tales to often' he thort to him self as he rased his pipe to his lips.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]
Old 12-17-2002, 10:22 AM   #339
Airerūthiel
Wight

Sting

Laitalathion has been listening to his new-found companions' tales and the unspoken words that pass between them; he has noticed that Derakis seems angered at Airerūthiel, and cannot help noticing the similarities in their tales. Realising the others are waiting for him to speak, he begins his story.

"Mine is not a tale of woe and sorrow and loss as so many of these are," he said, conscious of every word he speaks lest he should anger any of his companions. "Mine and Airerūthiel's mothers were sisters - that is how we are kin. I remember little of my childhood before my parents' deaths - my father was killed in a random warg attack when my brother Maikadurion and I were just two years old, and four years after that my mother eventually passed into the Grey Havens due to her broken heart. We went to live at the house of Rocconinquė following that, as there was no-one else willing to take us in."

The looks on his companions' faces ask the question of why he lives. "It must have been not long before the Massacre of the White Horse when Maikadurion and I ran away to the west; we had always felt we were accepted but unwanted in Airerūthiel's father's house and seen as a inconvenience that had to be tolerated due to the blood that flowed in our veins. So we decided to learn more of our mother's people and headed for Lothlórien, and then on to Mirkwood. Although the Elves we met were hospitable and friendly people, we still felt like we had since we were just six years old - unwanted and unaccepted.

"So we decided to turn back east, and settled in Rivendell for some time, where we met with the same reception. Then around six months ago we heard an Elf-maiden singing the Ballad of the Rocconinquė as we walked in Rivendell, and it made me ponder what had happened to the only family I ever really knew. We took two white palfreys and continued on the road east back to Gondor. When we tried to enter that fair land, they asked our names and we were refused entry - apparently they had discovered that my father had committed treason against the Steward of Gondor and all his line would never return to that land. Maikadurion was angered greatly at this and rode away into the wilds of Rohan. I know not if he still lives.

"Now alone, I returned to Edoras to seek the truth behind the legend of the White Horse, but found only gossip and falsehoods, which gave no comfort. So I continued west back to Lothlórien, where the Lady Galadriel gave me her good counsel. I knew not of this place called the Shire, but the name of Bree echoed distantly in my mind. And two nights ago, in the inn of the Prancing Pony, I heard the rumours that a female Ranger whose scabbard bore the badge of the White Horse had been seen heading west of there.

"I rode hard until I came upon the Green Dragon and found my cousin standing outside near the stables. The rest you know."
Old 12-17-2002, 10:36 AM   #340
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

"A strange tale my friend." whispered Elwen softly more to herself than to Soronūmė. "If I may how long ago was your brother killed?"

Elwen bowed her head, the curls of dark hair hiding her face and the white gems flashing as she moved. Elwen flicked her hair back before continuing. "How long have you been here? You seem to know the ways of these people well, do you know many in this pub? I am eager to learn anything that you would teach me. My stay here maybe long, for I can not leave until..."

Elwen couldn't continue. Stories were one thing, they ran though the head like dreams, short lived and surpressable. But reality was harder to mention. Questions swirled in Elwens head, about her past, about this travellers past and about the future. All of them too painful to think about for long. Elwen gently shook her head trying to escape the voices that spoke to her, trying to quiet them and find peace somewhere. The tears began to gather, silver and gold in the fire light, they trickled down her cheeks. Elwen searched desperately inside for a memory that would stop her thoughts from running around inside her head and give her a moment to think.

Elwen found it. A smile blossomed on her lips, making her eyes dance and her light glow brighter. She sighed content once more to have pushed away the sorrow that followed her. Elwen gentle wiped her eyes and smiled to Soronūmė. What was it about this spirit that put her so at ease. She hardly knew him yet there was something...
The thought was gone, the answer had been so near, within Elwen's hand but it had faded and now nothing was left.

"I'm sorry," whispered Elwen looking at Soronūmė puzzled, the smiled not vanishing with the thought. Elwen gently shook the waves of hair, setting her thoughts back in order. Her ring sparkled as she set it back down on the table and looked to Soronūmė for a reply to her earlier questions.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-17-2002, 01:55 PM   #341
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin searched Sadbh's face intently, wondering what was causing the obvious anxiety that shadowed her features. More than the worry over her horse. He was a little surprised to hear that the horse actually came from Rohan. It did look a fine animal, even though sickened. But for an "outsider" to be given a Rohhirim mount, animals usually regarded more as part of the family than a beast of transport, was highly unususal. This girl must have won the respect fo his people in quite a way!

"Travellers from Dale?" Deorlin titlted his head to one side a little and pondered her query. "Well,in fact, it's been little over a month since I was last in that fair land. I had business with the royal court, so I am familiar with the roayl crest and colors. But . . . no, I haven't seen anyone from those lands, royal or otherwise, since I departed, with the exception of yourself. Why do you seek them?"

From the look on Sadbh's face, he could see that he had overstepped the bounds of their acquaintance by asking that last question. "No matter, I should be concentrating on that horse of yours." He tried to pass lightly over the awkward pause. "Nettle is easy enough to come by. It seems to grow everywhere around these parts, I've noticed. Why don't you wait here to see if the innkeeper can provide the other things and I'll step out and have a look around behind the stables and see if I can spot some of the weed."
Old 12-17-2002, 06:55 PM   #342
smile

Sting

Walks into the inn..looks around..is soooooooo lost heads for the corner to sit and see what she can hear. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #343
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Carnil opens her eyes and stands up noticing that the dark elf is gone which she hopes he is gone for good and she takes a seat in the corner by the window and brushes her hair and quitely sings 'The Lament for Gandalf' Carnil is growing bored and to entertain herself is watching the people that exit and enter the inn.

She glances outside and is relieved to see that her horse is still there she goes up to the bar to get another ale and goes back in the corner and sits alone trying desperately to entertain herself.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: AddictedtoRumil ]
Old 12-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #344
DireLAnce

Sting

He listens to the tales told with interest, especially that of Valeria and her sword. However, when he sees the ring upon her finger, his eyes narrow, and he tilts his head, as if pondering something about the ring. Then, with a shake, his eyes take on their usual disinterest, and he lays back, hoping it is not what he thinks.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:59 PM   #345
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Carnil's brother Calaglin enters the inn and takes a seat by his sister and says "Hello sister you and i have a urgent matter to attend to we must leave at once!" "Where will we go?" replies Carnil "Come with me and you will see" Calaglin takes his sister by the hand and leads her out of the inn.

Calaglin and Carnil both get on their horses and head east to Rohan.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:24 PM   #346
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I must hurrry If I am to seek out what I'm looking for"Garvedon says quitly to himself.

He walks up to the bar and says to Dwarin

"I will be here one night only and then I must leave"

"That can be arranged,you are in room 23 and here is your key"Dwarin says handing him a small brass key"

"Thank you for you hospitlality"Garvedon replies
Old 12-17-2002, 09:35 PM   #347
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Valeria lets the tales of the others wash over her. She feels a strange bond with these people, as if the pain in their pasts somehow unites them. As she refills some of the mugs that were beginning to grow empty, she recalls how short Derakis's story was and cannot help but wonder if he was hiding something. Then her eyes fall on her ring and smiles wryly to herself.
If indeed he left out something, he was not the only one.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:06 AM   #348
Airerūthiel
Wight

Sting

Airerūthiel has had an increasing sense of feeling as though she is not wanted here any longer as her cousin tells the story of how he came to the Green Dragon. 'I thought this place was different,' she muses to herself. 'Clearly, I was wrong. Without a family and a home, I am truly nothing - even if that family is the legendary White Horse.' She appreciates that her thoughts are painting a bad picture of what seems to be a genuinely hospitable crowd of people, but still she drains her pitcher and stands up.

"Friends, my time among you is greviously short; I desire to stay here much longer than I can. Derakis, I sense I have offended you, and I can assure you this was not intentional. But your tales are fascinating, and mayhap one day the paths of our guiding stars will cross once more. Cousin, the time I have spent here with you has not been enough, but I believe that I shall see you all again one day. Now if you will excuse me, I must away."

She pulls up her hood and almost runs towards the door and out into the night, where a bitter wind has begun to get up. Mounting Sérė, the grey horse she only recently managed to obtain, she heads east and does not look back at the welcoming lights and her new-found friends, who sit in silence as their companion's sudden departure impacts - or fails to - on them.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:25 AM   #349
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronūmė watched as Elwen collected her thoughts. He pondered his own for a moment, deciding how to answer the maiden's questions. Finally he spoke, "My brother hath been gone for but a year now. I did not stay at home for long after I brought his body back, I could not. Salixrana and I have been travelling for many a month, travelling strange and distant lands. We arrived here to the inn only last week, and since I have spoken to very few. I had befriended Amron, a true gentleman though not of many words. However we did not speak again after he was taken off to the kitchen by the Barrow Wight over there. Eruwen was the other. She was young but troubled. She too had her quest, travelling to the mountains to seek the last member of her family, her grandmother." Soronūmė's spirits had seemingly lifted as he continued, "I sang with talented musician, Sarah I believe was her name, which I gather you heard. Then I met you Elwen. You are the only one who has enquired about my life, my history and the "mystery" about me. Other than that I know very little of the people's gathered in this inn, though I could tell you a few more names."
Old 12-18-2002, 12:08 PM   #350
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

Derakis smiles at the group. "It seems you are not easily fooled. I understand your doubt of my story and you all know i have left something out. Indeed I have. Like Airerūthiel, I have wandered the countryside hunting and defending people from orcs. I have done this in the hopes that I can prevent tragedies like those that happend to Airerūthiel and I from happening to anyone else. A few days ago I ambushed a small group of three or four orcs making camp near the river Baranduin. When I attacked to my suprise and shame, I found these orcs were part of a MUCH larger hunting party of 30-40. I killed a few of them, and then ran. They have been on my trail for the last few days, but I belive I have put them behind me." He shook his head "I hope."
Old 12-18-2002, 01:03 PM   #351
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

"Fair enough." She nodded softly. "Thank you for all of your assitance." She gave another deeper nod of her tawny head as Deorlin walked back out of the crowded inn. She sighed quietly, dissapointed at Deorlin's reply. Perhaps after she had atleast attemptedto help the poor animal she could ask around the inn a bit.
But for now she must concentrate on the horse.

Soon enough, the woman who had taken their rather odd request for the ingredients returned, arms filled with various jars and bottles. "Here you are. Mint, honey, and salt." Sadbh smiled and gave the woman some copper coins to cover the cost.

"Thank you kindly." She slipped the various items into her satchel and brushed nimbly out of the inn, crisp night air tinging her breath milky white. She tilted her face to meet the moon, gently picking her way through the shrubbery and brush. In the darkness, she could see fairly well. She percieved Deorlin bending over a crop of nettles and breezed over to him.

"Thank you again for your help." The shortness of the young woman was elaborated by a nod of the head. "I feel sorry for that horse, as its stuck with me." She gave a half smile in the dark.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:16 PM   #352
DireLAnce

1420!

He tilts his head, watching Valeria, then stands silently, and walks up behind her, tilting his head to look at the ring on her finger "you seem to have left out something in your story ms..." He smiles, flexing his guantleted hands under his cloak.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:05 PM   #353
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Achae dusted herself off and looked to the warmth of the Green Dragon. It was the inn recommended to her by one of her Hobbit companions whom she had spoke with during the long ride to the Shire. As she trodded along through the road, she sighed, "Why ever leave my home?" she asked herself, this wouldn't be the first time either. Achae stumbled into the stable, and peered at her unfamiliar surroundings. She gently patted one of the horses foreheads and sang silently to herself. A song that her mother had taught her so many years ago. Looking around once more, she noticed a familiar face that she hadn't before.
"Sadbh?"
Old 12-18-2002, 09:58 PM   #354
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Valeria stares in shocked silence at Aireruthiel's abrupt departure. She longs to say something, but cannot find her voice. She had felt deeply the grief in the woman's story and had wanted to speak with her further, but now that was impossible as the door swung closed.
She half-hears Derakis's explaination: orcs, many of them, possibly still following him. As she tries gather her thoughts, a stranger appears at the table, asking her name and looking pointedly at her ring. She stiffens, hand clenching around her sword hilt. "I am called Valeria," she replies, perhaps a bit more shortly than she intends. "And I know not what you mean, sir, demanding my past when you don't know my present. If you'll forgive me, I think my tale was complete enough as it was."
The stranger smirks, gives a nod and returns to his seat in the coner. Valeria can feel his eyes still on her.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:30 AM   #355
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elwen notices the change in tone of Soronūmė voice, however slight, as he speaks of singing. She laughes gentle.

"So my friend, I can hear in your voice that you take pleasure in singing. Maybe you would like to try my flute. It would fill my heart with joy once more to hear it played and I can see that great talent is hidden within you."

Elwen picks up the small silver flute from atop her folded elven grey cloak. It feels cool and reasureing to the touch, like soft snow after it has fallen. Elwen extends the flute to Soronūmė, smiling softly and longing to hear it played once more. Finally she has found one who could play the flute with the same talent as she had once hear it played, Elwen could tell.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:41 AM   #356
DireLAnce

The Eye

DireLance smiles at Valeria from his seat "Aye, your tale was complete... but you seem to have left outthat little bauble on our finger... and they are animportant part of life, don't you think?" He grins, removing his right guantlet, and holding his hand to the light. On it is a ring, with a jet black stone that seems to drain away the light near it.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:30 AM   #357
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

Amron glared across at the strange who had just made a comment on Valerias ring, "it may be courteous togive an acount of your self stranger,but it is unwise to tell all especially with so many people listening in." He glanced at a man standing near by who quickly turned away. "Now, i think you should either turn round and finish your ale or come pull up a chair and tell your tail." Amron looked over to Valeria "i dont like the look of this man" he whispered to her "be cautious"
Old 12-19-2002, 11:45 AM   #358
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

Amron looked over at the man "No, i speak to the stranger who asks about my friend Valeria's ring," he took a long draw from his pipe "but if you would like to come talk with us feel free." With that Amron siped from his ale 'so many people' he thort 'and to think, i thort id spend my time hear sitting alone in a shadowy corner.'
Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 PM   #359
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

"I am Amron, i come from the city of Umbar, this is Valeria, Derakis, Aireruthiel and Laitalathion," he said pointing to each in turn "and you are? We have just given some account of our selves would you wish to tell us of you self?"
Old 12-19-2002, 01:12 PM   #360
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Dwarin had been called away on some bit of Dwarvish business, or so he had said to Piosenniel when he cleared away the remains of her guests' drinks and plates. He had looked her over, taking in the way she sat at ease in her chair, noting how even at her most relaxed there was an air of alertness with which her eyes swept the room, and how her body shifted in the chair imperceptibly as the possibility of brewing danger or threat was noticed.

He'd asked her if she had any knowledge of Inns and their running. She laughed merrily, dark glimmerings playing in her eyes, as she recalled 'jobs' she had taken to fill her oft lean purse in her wanderings.

'I have some experience with such things. Other than just my forays into ale and wine tasting, and my skill at draughts and darts, that is.' She winked impishly at him. 'Why do you ask?'

He needed someone to step in for a while, and she said she would be glad to. It would be a pleasant diversion between voyages on the Lonely Star. And so that was how she found herself ordering spirits for the Inn on the one hand and serving drinks to the patrons on the other.

She had just delivered some flagons of the Dragon's finest to a table of passing Dwarves, when she overheard a man speaking of the siege of Gondor.

'Man of Gondor! Marithorn, is it not? Please, I have friends in Minas Tirith. What news do you have of the city? How has the foul shadow fallen now on fair Gondor?'

[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]