Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2002, 09:52 AM   #241
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin grimaced as Amron was bodily flung into the kitchen by the Barrow-Wight. Both Donlammenion and Celeb looked away as well, all knowing how awful dishwashing could be.
“Unlucky,” Fin murmured, as the Barrow-Wight emerged alone.
“Cheep for Dwarin though,” Celeb smirked.
The dwarf innkeeper was busy examining the crack in the floorboards, where Don had ‘killed’ Esgalor earlier. “The cheek of it,” he murmured and rose from his knees.
The table where the quartet of elves was sat burst into laughter, but was silenced with a menacing stare from Dwarin and as his eyes strayed toward the kitchen door, they all turned away, suddenly interested in the beams of the roof above.
“That’s better,” he muttered and moved on.
As soon as he was out of hearing distance they burst out laughing again.
“I’m glad I stopped at the Green Dragon,” Fin commented, “where else would you get so many unusal elves, a dwarven innkeeper, an Umbar doing the dishes and a Barrow Wight in the corner.”
Fresh peels of laughter greeted this statement.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:28 AM   #242
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronūmė was alone at his table once more as Amron had been taken off to the kitchen. He watched as the Barrow Wight took his seat again and picked up his drink, still watching the kitchen door. He guessed that is what the young girl had meant earlier when she left the kitchen, some sort of punishment. Dwarin entered the kitchen and Soronūmė heard laughter from another corner in the inn. Following the sounds he noticed a group of four elves laughing away, clearly having fun.
Soronūmė then noticed a young maiden, who he had heard being called Sarah, dancing with a violin on her shoulder. She was playing a familiar tune. Soronūmė looked down to the empty cup in his hand. He was no dancer but Soronūmė could certainly sing a tale or two. He rose and began to walk over to the maiden, quietly singing to himself as he went.
He sang a tale he had heard many years ago, one a good friend of his had written. As Soronūmė sang he could see and hear his friend's voice in his mind, and without realising, his own voice had grown louder as he sang in unison with the distant voice of an age old friend. Suddenly consious of what he was doing Soronūmė stopped singing, and saw that the maiden had stopped playing her violin some time ago. Her eyes were fixed on him. "What language was that?" she asked. "I couldn't understand the words but I am sure they are full of meaning. It is a beautiful song, Sir." Soronūmė was surprised, "I am sorry m'lady. I did not mean to stop your playing with my verse." She smiled as he continued, "it is the language of my homeland though the tale is not mine. Your music awakened a memory of a friend who used to sing that song, far better than I ever could." Soronūmė noticed that there were more than the maiden's eyes looking upon him now.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:19 PM   #243
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Eruwen stopped outside the inn when she heard a lovely tune suddenly rise above the noise of the crowd. Being a lover of music and poetry herself, she decided to drop on in.

Noticing that most of the attention of the inn was fixed on a certain Elf in the corner, Eruwen slid silently to an empty table. She sat gazing at the wonderful sound before her ears. It had been long since she had heard a song like that. Ever since she left her home in Mirkwood, that is.

Eruwen sat silently and motionless as the other Elf finished his song. Her long, dark hair was tossed by a small breezed coming in through an open window behind her. Oh, how much she wished she were back in her homeland. Just listening to the brief voice of this stranger reminded her of the long, warm nights she would sit in the treetops and listen to the music of the wind.

But then Eruwen's mind suddenly switched to the night she left. The loneliest night of her life. As a tear started to fall down her cheek, she forced her concentration back to the crowd in the inn.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #244
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel and Estelarion made their way to their rooms. They threw their heavy packs on the floor and winced at the resounding "crack" that they made on the floor.

"You did not have anything delicate in there, right?" Menelduliniel asked.

"I do not believe so. You?" Estelarion said.

"I certainly hope not," Menelduliniel muttered.

They both went back down to the bar and ordered more ale for themselves and sat back, people-watching (one of their favorite activities).
Old 12-08-2002, 02:14 PM   #245
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The name I was hoping that would stir someone's memory is that of Cami, or rather I should say, Camellia Goodchild."

Elfred saw the look of sadness come over the face of the beautiful Miss Piosennial, and wondered that one of the Fair Folk would have any memory of one of his kind: happy, sad, or anything else.

And yet there was no doubt: with a name like that, she had to be speaking of a Hobbit. The genealogy of the Shire Folk were full of Goodchildes, but the family itself had died out long ago. And yet that particular name did stir some type of memory in Elfred...where had he heard such a name?

Then his heart sank, and his face became as long as that of the Elf sitting across from him. He did know someone who might have help this sad stranger, but the thought of seeking her out made Elfred shudder. He had hoped to pass through Bywater unseen without having any dealings with this particular person. But the old shepherd had to face it: he would have to meet "the dragon" after all.

"Well, Miss Piosennial. Perhaps I do know someone who may have some information for you, though I doubt her memory could be anywhere near as long as yours, begging your pardon."

"I remember my mother-in-law mentioning a name like that at family gatherings, when the talk would turn to tales about the old days, so to speak." The Elf-lady's eyes glowed with hope at this, and she leaned forward into her chair.

"Now I don't want to get your hope up too much, Lady. You see, I married a Bolger. Now that might not mean much to the likes of you, but around here it means plenty. My mother-in-law, Amarantha Bolger, never took much to the idea of her youngest daughter Celandine running off and marrying one of those 'outlandish' Bree-folk, meaning me of course, and a shepherd to boot."

"Now since my dear Celi had passed on, I haven't had much to do with the ol drag...I mean, the old lady, and she may not want to come and speak to you, but there's one thing we can count on: old Amarantha may be as mean as a cross dog, but she is also as curious as a jackdaw. I'm betting that the chance to meet with one of your kind might just pique her interest enough to get her away from her cozy fire and over here to the Green Dragon. That and the fact that she never turned down a good glass of wine if she had the chance, not if someone else is buying."

"Now if you can just wait here, I'll trot over to her hole and see what I can do. Oh," said Elfred, wringing his hat in embarrassment, "would you mind if I left old Nop here with you? Amarantha never cared much for animals in general, and Nop in particular. It might make it a little easier if she didn't see him on her doorstep, if you take my meaning."

"Of course, Master Thistle. Nop will be fine here with me, and good company." said the Elf with a smile. And indeed, the little collie seemed quite happy to lay where he was, head resting quietly on the soft, worn riding boot, (and drinking in the good smell of Elf, which is like no other smell in Middle-earth, and is loved by all good beasts.)

So with a nod and a touch to his forehead, Elfred went out into the night to face down his mother-in-law. Piosennial sat by the fire, searching the memories of ages and idly stroking the head of the sheepdog.

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 12-08-2002, 03:04 PM   #246
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Soronūmė turned to see the table he left was now occupied by an elf-maiden, one who looked deep in thought. The maiden with the violin gestured to Soronūmė and said "There is no need to be sorry Sir," she smiled, "music needs a voice to do it justice. How about another song?" "I fear m'lady that there are many who do not wish to hear more of my verse." "Nonsense" she replied as she put her instrument into position and began to play a beautiful tune. Dwarin turned to Soronūmė and Sarah, "She will not stop until she is satisfied Sir. A little too much to drink I believe. It would be a waste of her playing and of our ears for you not to sing" he chuckled. "Then I shall sing" replied Soronūmė, "but a verse of melancholy, to suit the fair elf-maiden's, over there, mood." Soronūmė turned to the room and began...

"Walking paths seldom trodden
Wandering forests unknown by man,
Telling tales of myths forgotten
Strength in both mind and hand.

Living a life of solitude
Travelling by the day and dark,
A bright light shone from within
But lonely forever in his heart.

Cursed not with weary feet
Only with a lasting hope,
Navigating by the stars
His intuition led him home."
Old 12-08-2002, 03:08 PM   #247
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘The old dragon, eh?!’ she said to Nop, filling in the rest of the edited word. The dog lifted his head and snorted as if to emphasize the truth of his master’s description. ‘Well, I have had some dealings of old with such Wyrms. Perhaps those encounters will stand me in good stead.’ She chuckled to herself, recalling a particular dragon with a sharp tongue and a wicked sense of humor. Nop patted her boot and gave a low-pitched growl. ‘That tough a one, eh, my friend?!’ Her eyes sparkled in anticipation of the encounter. ‘We shall see.’

Strains of a fair song filled the air briefly. The notes flowing from the violin like a sudden breeze, the singer's voice riding the twists and turns of it like an Eagle of Westernesse soaring high above the western lip of Meneltarma. She nodded toward the pair as the song finished.

Thank you. her mind called out, as she smiled.

Looking round the room, she spied the server she had spoken with before – a pretty Dwarf, her long, shiny yellow braids catching the lights of the fire and lamps as she bustled efficiently about the tables. When she drew near, a tray of empty tankards, bowls, and dirty cutlery deftly balanced on one hand, Pio motioned her over.

‘When you have done with delivering that tray, might this good dog and I have something to tide us over until Master Thistle returns? Some fruit and bread for me, if you will, and a small glass of wine – red.’ She looked down at Nop as if consulting with him. ‘And a small dish of fresh scraps for the tired worker, and a bowl of water.’

Grey eyes looked steadily into the deep brown eyes of the Dwarf, wondering how such a one as she found herself working in an Inn. She laughed as she thought of it, recalling some of the ‘jobs’ which had seen her through hard times. The woman had nodded her head at Pio’s request and turned to go to the kitchen. ‘Wait!’ called the Elf. ‘I have been rude, I think. I am a stranger here, and you have been most courteous to me.’ She extended her hand to the Dwarf’s free one.

‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. And yours is . . .?’

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-08-2002, 04:08 PM   #248
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen looked at the Elf once more. She noticed a glance and sat listening for more song. The verse he sang was very soothing to her ears. She nodded at the Elf to show she knew what he had done and was glad for his kindness. "What a lovely place this is." she thought.

A great thirst came over her, so Eruwen walked over to the bar to get an Ale. She drank a little on her way back to the table. The drink quenched her thirst almost as good as what she had back home.

"Yes, I believe I will stay here a short while longer." she thought. "This inn is very comforting from a long road's journey." Eruwen had a smile once again. It had been quite a long time since one graced her face.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:05 PM   #249
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Soronūmė finished his song and noticed he had made the elf-maiden smile. He thanked Sarah for the music and made way to the bar. Dwarin approached,"Thank you sir, you have contented Sarah with her music, and pleased the lonely elf over there." "Yes," Soronūmė agreed, "she seems to have wiped those tears away from her face now." He glanced over to the elf-maiden who caught his stare then looked away. "Dwarin, may I have a room for tonight?" Soronūmė asked the dwarf. "Indeed sir, I believe I have one unoccupied." "Thank you," replied Soronūmė, "and in the present, may I have a drink, just water this time?" "Certainly Sir." Dwarin went to fetch the drink, when he returned Soronūmė thanked and paid him. He then picked up his glass and made way to the table where the elf-maiden sat. "Suliad" he greeted, "may I join you?" She nodded so Soronūmė took seat. "I am Soronūmė, a stranger to these parts also. It is long since I have been home, my journey takes me all over the lands. Have you travelled far?" The elf replied "yes, my journey has been long. I am Eruwen of Mirkwood. Mar govannen." "Ah Mirkwood" he replied "I have both fond and troubled memories of those parts." She smiled at him. "So Eruwen, why did an elf-maiden leave her home to travel to the Shire?" Soronūmė questionned as he took a sip of his water.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:14 PM   #250
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb looks around. "I think I'll tell another tale!"
She stands up and begins in a loud voice.

"Ennas lamath a ōl,
Ennas i glemyr ned meneg rych.
Ennas noer a lalaith,
Ennas i glīn ned meneg aew.

Norig lim mellonn, norig lim trī i mōr.
Norig lim mellon, ennas cenithag i aur calad.

Ned i morchaint uin dśath.
Ned i laiss uin dķnen gelaidh.
Tķrar, linnar.
Pedir o cuil tīn pād.

Talt elenath erin i lossen.
Hwiniar palan-an i gaearon.
Norel or i talath, ś-gostaig tīn alfirin cam.
Toga eg erin an ōlg.

Tolithan ah eg ir norig,
An ias i glan o lū anoroded.
Ned an i thambas uin taur,
O iaur laim si ś-linnin.

Tiro an dengwithg, linno glīrg.
Tiro an i thynd o iaur noss galadh.
Norithan, linnathan.
Norithan lim an ias ithil govadithan i gaearon.

Norig lim mellon, ennas cenithag i aur calad."
She sits down agan and smiles.

Celebmornie
Old 12-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #251
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Valeria, Witch of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Sting

Valeria looked up as Garen approches and smiles. "I thank you, sir, for you kind words, though I fear that is all of the song." She looked down at her hand, running her fingers over a simple silver ring with a red stone. "My friend Danilen taught me that song...and I fear the story is too sad for a lively evening such as this. I'm afraid I'll have to dissapoin--"
Valeria jerked her head up as the Barrow Wight approached and hauled Amron into the ktichen for a round of dish scrubbing. The corners of her mouth twitched and she burst out laughing. After a moment she wiped tears of laughter from her eyes and returned her attention to Garen. "Forgive me, sir, for my outburst, but it seems a friend of mine has just been...um...recruted for some help in the kitchen. I believe he's going to need some...consolation when he's finished." She rose and went to the bar in search of a pitcher of ale.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Valeria, Witch of Angmar ]
Old 12-09-2002, 03:51 AM   #252
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As the man finished his song Sarah was surprised that her violin's tune matched with that of the singer. She shook hands with the man named Soronume, "That was a very beautiful song, sir. Plus you have quite a lovely voice." Soronume smiled and humbly thanked the musician and went to the bar.

These singing and dancing made me feel hungry again, Sarah thought as she went back to her table. And just in time Dwarin the innkeeper was serving ales to a table near her, "Master Dwarin!", she called, "may I have some bacon and 2 peanut butter sandwiches and a glass of orange juice, please." Then with a flash Dwarin served the food she ordered and before she could thank him another person in the room called the busy innkeeper.

The elf-maiden named Celebmornie began to sing an enchanting song and she had a lovely voice, too. But as Sarah listened to the singer she could not understand what the elf was singing, it was an enchanting song and she felt that not understanding what it was all about will only make her an insomniac.

So when the elf-maiden finished Sarah called to Celebmornie as polite as she can ( after all this was a lady elf not some ill-bred woman), "Excuse me mademoiselle Celebornie, that was wonderful but may you kindly sing that song in the common language. All I can understand from your song was the world mellon. And I think that its an elvish word for friend."

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Finiel ]
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 12-09-2002, 04:16 AM   #253
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As the laughing finished fin looked across the table toward the bottle of wine and four goblets which was given to them by an elven maiden sat across the room.
"Fin why don't you thank the lady for her most gracious gift" Don proceded

Fin gave a pious look which can only be described as a plead but his companions didn't allow him to forego the task so he rose and proceded to the table.

"please excuse this interupion but my friends and i would like to thank you for the wine you gave" at this point fin was mumbling and looked as if he could faint but in an instant he regained his composure as he thought it would only be fitting if he asked her to join them!
"I wonder if you would be so kind as to join us when we taste the wine" the question hung in the air as Fin awaited an answer....
PIO's POST

‘Mae govannen!’ Pio had called out graciously as the Elf approached her table.

She smiled warmly at the seemingly tongue tied Elf before her. She was certain he had not mumbled as he talked to the Elf maiden – the one who had sung the lovely song. Pio waited, giving him an opening.

He took a deep breath and regained his composure. ‘I wonder if you would be so kind as to join us when we taste the wine.’ he asked, having thanked her for the wine. He nodded his head toward the table where his three companions sat. She nodded toward the three and smiled, then returned her attention to Fin, her grey eyes regarding him closely.

‘An Elf of Eryn Lasgalen, are you not?’ she asked, noting the northern accent. ‘It has been many years since I stepped foot in Greenwood the Great. It is a lovely place, Thranduil’s kingdom.’ Memories played across her features, softening them. Recalling that he had asked her to come sit with them, she broke from her reverie.

‘Alas! I am here on some urgent business, awaiting the arrival of someone. Perhaps when my meeting is over, your invitation to a glass of wine will still stand, and I can join you then. Until then, enjoy the wine as I enjoyed the song.’ Fin smiled at her and nodded, thanking her once again, then strode quickly back to his waiting companions.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Donlammenion ]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:46 AM   #254
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The young dwarf reached her hand tremulously towards the elf's,

"Parin; Parin Stonemouth" she said, abruptly, and then, remembering her manners: "a pleasure to meet you, m'lady. Parin then quickly gripped her tray with both hands to steady it, resisting the urge to curtsey so as not to send tankards (empty as they were!) to the floor. Aule and Illuvatar, if you care for your creations at all, please bless me now with an extra measure of grace with which to interact with this fair lady!, she prayed, and then:

"I did not observe any lapse in politesse, Ms. Piosenniel, I am your servant."

And with that, she whisked off to the kitchen to fulfill her duty and to put that nemesis of a serving tray away before it did her in for good. There she met yet another of Dwarin's new "helpers". Well, they never learn! She thought with a sly grin, and then continued her rummaging amongst Dwarin's stores until the desired provisions were found, and to Parin's own liking as well.

Returning to the small table, once again filled with confidence from her brief respite in the larder, Parin served what she had found with obvious relish.

"For a lady of your obvious standing, I chose a fabulous red zinfandel to pair with your tastes in fruit and bread, I hope you find it to your liking: it is fairly light, so as not to overwhelm your delicate meal: a few fresh apricots, black cherries, and newly picked raspberries and strawberries from our brambly patch of garden in the back--I put some fresh cream also, on the side, in case it tempts your fancy--and a selection of scones, fine white loaf bread, or herbed flat bread for you to choose from--oh, yes, and for your gentleman friend," she said, turning towards the intelligent-looking beast that occupied the floor at the she-elf's feet with a warm expression of welcome for him, "Sir, I have brought you some sirloin tips to go with our finest well-water--no table scraps for the companion of an elf! I hope they suit your appetite." And then with a small flourish of her dimpled fingers, she dipped into her long-delayed curtsey.

"May I be of any further service to you, Ms. Piosenniel?"

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Kiara ]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #255
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb smiles at everyone and thinks.
"I dont think I remember the words so give me a moment!"
She sits down agan and starts muttering to herself.
"I cant remember! I cant remember!"

She thinks for a little longer and stands up.
"I am soo sorry! I cant think of it right now! I will keep thinking and hopefully I will have remembered it a little later!"
She sits down and finishes her ale.

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Celebmornie ]

Celebmornie
Old 12-09-2002, 12:58 PM   #256
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

There is a quiet figure sitting in the corner, dressed in a long dark hooded cloak. She does not speak to anyone, except when she gets up and orders another pint. No-one seems to notice her presence - she cannot remember how long she has been here - but she receives many unnerving glances from those who also sit in the inn. She has a dark secret, and she will not reveal it...not at this moment anyway.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]
Old 12-09-2002, 01:06 PM   #257
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Well met, Parin Stonemouth!’ was accompanied by a satisfied ‘woof’ from beneath the table.

Pio picked up a buttery colored apricot and slipped it whole into her mouth, working her tongue and teeth around the succulent meat. When she had done with it, she slipped the seed out to her waiting fingers and laid it on the plate. ‘Next to ripe figs, which are hard to find in these northern lands, these are my favorite fruit.’ She picked up another, feeling the soft coat of down on its skin. ‘Little golden jewels!’

She pushed the chair next to her out from the table, as she poured herself and Parin a glass of wine. ‘Can you be of further service to me?’ she said smiling. ‘I think you might. But, please, come sit with me a moment. I would have some company while I eat, and I know no one here.’ She broke off a small chunk of herbed bread and sopped it in her wine. ‘Tell me about yourself, Parin. What brings you here to the Shire? And to work at the Inn?’

The Elf motioned casually to the offered chair, her attention now seemingly focused on the meal before her . . .

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #258
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A pretty elf maiden with dark hair and eyes walks in the door and waves "Hello everyone i am Carnil"(Carnil is my r.p. character)*Carnil goes up to the bar and orders a pint and then takes a seat and waits for someone to join her* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: AddictedtoRumil ]
Old 12-09-2002, 02:47 PM   #259
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tentatively, Parin settled into a chair across from Piosenniel. She was intrigued by the elf's way of speaking and wondered what service she could perform that the capable-looking lady could not handle herself. I've thought of everything I could imagine palatable to her, did I forget something? Did I step on her feet without realizing it?

Quote:
‘Tell me about yourself, Parin. What brings you here to the Shire? And to work at the Inn?’
she heard in the gentle tones of the elf.

Parin cleared her throat. "What do you wish to know about me?"

"Well, for instance, how is it that your parents are not missing your skills around their home? Why is it that you do not abide with them until the day some wise dwarf comes to make you his?"---this with a provoking side-smile.

The dwarf frowned at the reference to both parents and possible romance, feeling the color rise to her face once more, this time in frustration. "There was conflict at home. My mother thought I was too clumsy and distracted in to be much help to her; generally she just bustled me out of the kitchen.... Father, well, he blamed me for encouraging my brother, dear Davin's, dreamy nature. He also told me a man-dwarf would never care for the likes of me....I wanted to mature, to please them, but I didn't seem to change. I hoped going out on my own and seeking outside relationships might change me enough--that my rough edges might be worn down enough--that they would accept me and love me when I return to them. So, I struck up with a band of dwarves, making their way here to re-stock Dwarin's ale stores. I thought surely he would take me in, give me work, and so he has."

"Mmmm." Pio murmured, sympathetically, as she sat back and sipped her wine, "And how have you found the place?"

"Much to my liking," replied Parin, impetuously, "the people here are so different!" and then looked hastily up to make sure she hadn't offended.

"Different indeed!" the elf laughed jovially. I think I'm going to like you, Parin Foot-in-your-mouth!"
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-09-2002, 03:41 PM   #260
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

An impish glint passed quickly through the Elf’s eyes as the words ‘Parin Foot-in-your-mouth’ were spoken. ‘I think I’m going to like this one.’ she chuckled to herself. ‘Reminds me much of myself.’ She looked the Dwarf over thoroughly. ‘She’s still so young, for all her Dwarven years. Little does she know that the rough edges never wear off completely. The ones worthy of friendship and respect accept you as you are.’ She sighed, thinking how long a road this had been for her.

Her reverie was broken by a satisfied sigh and the sounds of Nop perfuming himself with the juices of the tasty meal as he licked his paws issued from beneath the table. ‘Well, there’s a satisfied diner for you!’ laughed the Elf again, and this time the Dwarf joined in - hesitantly, at first, then heartily.

The ice seemingly broken between the two women, they chatted amiably while Pio finished the foods set before her. Parin wondered at the amount of food the slender Elf tucked away. Pio glanced up, having heard the unvoiced question.

‘It’s the twins.’ she remarked, as if Parin had spoken aloud. ‘There are times I am so famished I could eat my way through the ship’s larder and still poke through the storeroom hoping to find more.’ She poured a little water in her wine, and sat back comfortably, her long legs propped comfortably on a chair.

Dwarin stood across the room and waved frantically at Parin, her back to him. Pio waved casually at him, watching his face turn red. She leaned toward Parin. ‘I do believe your employer has some urgent task for you.’ She pointed to the now spluttering Inkeeper, who glared their way, hands on hips. ‘Tell him that you had a special request from me, and that you took time to get it aright.’

She leaned toward Parin, speaking low. ‘I do have a guest coming soon, and I have heard she is partial to honeyed mead. Will you see if the Green Dragon’s stores hold such, and perhaps put together some savories to go with it? I would have her in a temperate mood when we speak.’

Pio watched as the Innkeeper strode toward her table. She saw Parin take a course back to the kitchen which avoided meeting with him. The Elf winked at the Innkeeper, and waved again as he drew near to her table.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:10 PM   #261
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen looked down at her glass and answered quielty to the friendly Elf sitting across from her. "I am on a quest of my own. You see, one night I was walking back home when I noticed there was a stranger at my door. He walked in quite abruptly. So, I sneaked over to a window so I could hear what was going on. I couldn't hear very good from outside, so I leaned in closer so I could see the figures inside."

Eruwen looked back up at Soronūmė. "They killed my family, sir." she said. "I'm not exactly sure who it was...or why they did it. But that is why I am here. I am on a quest to the mountains of Ered Luin. I thought my grandmother who lives there now could help me."

As she took another drink, Eruwen looked around the inn at the various types of people. "I never thought a night like this would happen. This inn is magnificent. There are so many different creatures here with many stories behind their lives."

Eruwen smiled once more and looked at the Elf sitting next to her. "Soronūmė," she said happily. "I'm glad I'm here."

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:31 PM   #262
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Valeria takes quiet note of the hooded woman in the corner. She recalls the woman brushing past her as she went to the bar for a fresh pitcher. When asked, the woman had muttered that her name was Aireruthiel, or something like that...
Valeria pours herself a drink from the pitcher and leans back against the bar. She seems awfully familiar...Valeria shrugs and shakes her head. She takes a drink of her ale, relaxing to the sounds of patrons' songs, tales and the sounds of Amron still swearing and scrubbing dishes in the kitchen.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:31 AM   #263
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen swung off her white palfrey and smoothed down her long dark her. She then adjusted her cloak and pulled up her hood to hide the light. As her name suggested Elwen was a star maiden, a fallen star. stars do not have names as a rule but she had been given one by Legolas at their meeting. That was long ago and the time had been swift and bitter-sweet. Now Elwen journeyed far to escape the memories and the journey had brought her here, to the Green Dragon.

This pub was famous for its warmth and kindness but even so Elwen did not desire to go in yet. she let her horse go to find rest and sat herself down, had she known it exactly where Soronūmė had been sitting hours before.

Elwen played with the hem of her cloak. It had been a parting gift from her kindred in Mirkwood for although Elwen retained her star spirit in physical form she was a simple wood elf maiden. And when she hid her light you could never tell the difference except maybe if you looked deep into her eyes for there the heavens were mirrored in all their splendour.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #264
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

"Then you have purpose m'lady" replied Soronūmė after listening to her sad tale. "I am truly sorry to hear of your family, but I am sure that you will find out who did the deed in time". Eruwen smiled at him as Soronūmė continued, "but at present, enjoy your time here. You will indeed meet many creatures and befriend them". "I intend to" replied Eruwen with a quiet laugh.
The two sat for a while in silence. Eruwen noticed that Soronūmė had become uneasy, he was glancing around the room. Turning back to the table he spoke "If you will excuse me m'lady, I shall retire." Eruwen was puzzled but nodded as Soronūmė raised the hood of his mantle to his head and stood up. "Namarie, fair maiden" he whispered as he left the table, headed for the room Dwarin had prepared for him.
Eruwen was left alone. Drink still in hand she mused over the sudden departure of Soronūmė then looked up.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:04 AM   #265
Airerūthiel
Wight

1420!

Airerūthiel glances over at Valeria from beneath her hood. The half-Elf pretends to drink from her empty pitcher as she tries to recall the face from her distant past, but it is no use. She gets up and walks towards the bar, muttering in Elvish under her breath...
Old 12-10-2002, 10:46 AM   #266
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elwen sighed. The trees held no comfort for her and the stars where hidden behind vast clouds. From the pub came sounds of singing and cheer. Elwen longed for the sight of a cheerful face and could stand the outside no longer.

She stood silently, pulling her cloak yet more tightly around her. A warm fire and a door between that and the outside that is what she desired. Well no... It wasn't but her hearts desire was impossible, and for now she would have this instead. Elwen walked slowly up to the door, a golden glow coming from beneath. Her fingers traced a pattern on the door, now long worn to almost invisble. Elwen bowed her head and pushed the door open.

At once she was hit with a light so bright that, Elwen could see nothing. But as her elven eyes quickly adjusted, she gasped. All around her, some sitting, some standing, some walking around was a multitude of folk. Elwen pulled her cloak more firmly around her, she had not expected the pub to be so full.

Elwen stood in the door way not knowing what to do, there was no one here to guide her.Her fingers danced over a plain silver ring, twisting it round her finger as she played with it unconsiously.
"No," she whispered quitely to herself, " the memories are to painful. Don't go back, move forward."
But still Elwen didn't move.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 12-10-2002, 10:55 AM   #267
Airerūthiel
Wight

1420!

Airerūthiel notices the door open and glances over towards it. "Another with a tinged history," she whispers, barely audible even to herself. Something about this stranger tells her that this new figure hides a secret like her own, but what that is she has yet to work out.

She walks over to the doorway and gives the traditional Quenya greeting, "Elen sķla lśmenn' omentielvo, mellon." Why she speaks the Ancient Tongue she knows not, save for the look of the Eldar about this stranger.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Airerūthiel ]
Old 12-10-2002, 03:04 PM   #268
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

The door to the Green Dragon swings open and a Man in a dark green cloak, dark brown leggings dark brown boots and a black leather tunic walks into the Inn. The hood is up on his cloak, so his face is veiled in shadow, though locks of dark hair can be seen on his worn face. He has a quiver on his back and an unstrung bow with it. He wears a long, silver sword of excellent craftsmanship on his belt.

He surveys the crowd and then walks to the bar. As he sits at the bar, Dwarin walks over to him and asks, "What'll it be?" The traveler responds in a quiet, firm voice, “Water and a half loaf of bread, Master Dwarf." Darwin nods and comes back moments later with the bread and water. "Thank you." He then begins to eat.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Derakis ]
Old 12-10-2002, 03:15 PM   #269
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elwen breathed in sharply,"Are you addressing me? Never have i heard the fair elven tongue from anyone outside the boundaries of the elven realms. In which case may i say Na Vedui! Suliad, Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo! I had heard the people in this pub are friendly, indeed the place is famous for it, but i never thought.."

Elwen felt her troubles leave her for an instant, but they soon returned, leaving her feeling breathless and light headed.

"I think i need to sit," whispered Elwen quietly," But where are my manners I haven't introduced myself. I am Elwen. May i ask your name?"
Old 12-10-2002, 03:20 PM   #270
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin sniffed deeply at the air, the smell of freshly baked food wafting to his nostrils, making his belly growl. It was several days now since he had enjoyed more than the stale bread and molding cheese which was all that remained of the provander in his saddle bags. A good, warm meal would sit well, and a comfortable bed in place of the hard earth would be welcome indeed. Not that the young Rohhirim was unused to or unfitted for the rugged outdoor life of a messenger. Still . . . the creature comforts were not to be disdained when they could be had.

Dismounting before the inn, he tethered his horse to an iron ring set in the wall. The door of the tavern was ajar, and light spilled forth, spreading its homely welcome to all weary travellers. Deorlin stepped across the threshold, only to find his way blocked by a young elvish looking woman, who stod as if in reverie. Another was speaking to her in the elvish tongue.

"Excuse me, milady. May I pass?" the rider asked politely, smiling in a friendly way at the two.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #271
Eruwen

Tolkien

As Eruwen looked around the inn, she noticed a lonely Elf sitting at a table...much like how she once was only minutes before. Eruwen stood up brushing her long hair behind her shoulders. With glass of Ale in hand, she walked over to the Elf.

"Hello, Carnil is it, I believe?" Eruwen said in the common tongue. "May I join you? You looked lonely, and I thought maybe you would like someone to talk to." Carnil nodded and Eruwen sat down.

"Mae govannen. I am Eruwen. I am a visitor at the inn as well. My home is in Mirkwood. Tell me, what brings you to the Shire?"
Old 12-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #272
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

"I apologise," spoke Elwen softly," I seem to have rather forgot myself today but the shock of such a full place was great indeed and I am weary from much grief. I will not bother you any further."

Elwen pulled herself together and managed a half-hearted smile before retreating from the group at the door to a quiet corner of the room. Carefully choosing a chair beside the fire, Elwen slowly sat down and returned to her thoughts. Gazing deep into the dancing flames of gold and red, she went back to a night now long past.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:35 PM   #273
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

The traveler sat at the bar, his glass of water half empty and his bread nearly gone. He had observed the happenings of the Inn from beneath his hood and had decided that these folk were kind enough, and he could relax his guard a bit. He pulled his hood back, revealing a travel worn face and a week's stubble of beard, set under two penetrating ice blue eyes. He had dark shoulder length hair, strands of which hung in his face.

He glanced to the Elf woman in the doorway. He had seen Elves many times before but he was always struck by how beautiful and serene they all were. He turned back to the bar and sipped down the last of his water.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 PM   #274
AddictedtoRumil
Haunting Spirit

AddictedtoRumil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Suilad Eurwen nice to meet you, yes my name is Carnil, of course you may join me. I have come to the Shire to visit because i have never been here before and i wish to see the place which the hobbits live i must say it is far different from Imladris this place seems more open and green it is a nice place to be and what brings you here Eurwen?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:00 PM   #275
Eruwen

Tolkien

Eruwen smiled and was about to answer Carnil, when she noticed a young Hobbit lass come in the door of the inn screaming! Eruwen got up immediatly from her seat and rushed to help the Hobbit to a booth where she could lie down. People from all over the inn crowded around the injured girl.

"Slow down, young Hobbit take a breath." said Eruwen calmly. "What is this you say about Wargs?"
Old 12-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #276
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deorlin continued to smile as the young elf excused herself and made her way to the corner of the tavern. He strode further into the inn, surveying the crowd. It seemed quite packed, with no visible empty tables. So the rider walked on to the bar, where he found an empty stool and caught the innkeeper's attention.

"Good eve, sirrah! The smell of your cookery led me by my nose to your fine establishment. My stomach is growling for some meat and fresh bread. Could you provide such, and a tankard of ale to wash it down?"

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Deorlin ]

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Deorlin ]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #277
Eruwen

Tolkien

Although then Eruwen noticed she was just daydreaming and saw she was sitting once again infront of Carnil.

"Oh, um," started Eruwen. "I am on a journey to find my grandmother in the mountains of Ered Luin. I stopped here on my way." Eruwen looked down at her half-empty glass of ale then back up at Carnil. "It's a long story. If you want me to, I will tell you. But it happens to be pretty long. I have journeyed very far from Mirkwood with many dangers ahead and behind me."

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:45 PM   #278
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Valeria looks to the door as a new maiden enters. She watches as the young woman from earlier approaches her and she is certain she hears snatches of elven tongue. Before she can dwell too heavily on them, however, her attention falls on a man who entered scant minutes after the elf maiden.
He orders water and bread, and, when he removes his hood, she sees he has the face of one who has traveled long. Her eyes move to the silver sword at his waist. It is a fine blade, hinting that the man is more than he might appear. She takes a step towards him, ready to ask his name, when a scream tears everything apart. Her reflexes take over and the first inches of her sword are clear of its sheath before she is even aware of it. Collecting herself, she sheathes the weapon for now and tries to catch news of the uproar. The word "warg" is all she can make out, but her hand returns the the hilt of her blade.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:34 AM   #279
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elwen felt too hot so close to the fire, she was tempted to remove her hood and cloak but something stopped.
"Why," laughted Elwen to herself," i have journeyed far to escape grief and sorrow and yet i still hide from attention."

Elwen stood up very slowly, not really thinking about what she was doing.
" Don't think, just move." she mouthed to herself as her fingers unfastened the silver star shaped brooch which was holding her cloak. Elwen sighed and with one swift fluid movement removed her cloak, carefully placing it on the chair beside her.

Her light now showed but dimly, she wondered if anyone will notice. Did she want them to..well Yes, partly. But the travel had made her tired, so she was only glowing slightly and the bright fire obscured the rest. Maybe they would think it just her dress. It was her favourite, pure white hemmed with silver. Her dark hair falling in waves about her shoulders was decorated with white gems that burned like stars. Like she burned when she was happy and content.

"A drink", she spoke to herself," How very thirst I am!"

Elwen smoothed down her shimmering dress. How comforting the fabric felt under her fingers. Elwen sighed but then stopped and smiled like she had not done for ages.

"Tonight I shall have fun and enjoy myself, leave the sorrow till tomorrow" laughed Elwen walking slowly over to the bar.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:29 AM   #280
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Well rested, Soronūmė returned to the bar of the inn but he was still uneasy. As he walked into the busy room he felt a sense of danger. Without realising Soronūmė lowered his hand and secured a tight grip around the hilt of his small sword.
He looked around and noticed Eruwen talking to another on one side of the room and several new faces had arrived. Soronūmė walked over to Dwarin, “Excuse me master Dwarin, would it be possible for me to get water for my horse?” Dwarin looked at Soronūmė strangely as if to suggest he didn’t have the look of a rider about him, “Certainly sir, there is a tap round the back with other oddities you might find useful. We’re just as used to horses here as we are guests, even elves.” Soronūmė thanked Dwarin and headed towards the door, raising the hood of his cloak as he went. As he reached the door of the inn he looked back to see a beautiful elf maiden standing alone at the bar, her long hair flowing about her shoulders. There was a sense of awe about this maiden; she had a light shining from within. He thought about going over to her, and then remembered his friend and the song he had sung the evening before. Turning back to the door with a solemn look on his face Soronūmė took a step outside.
It was a bright day, which didn’t please Soronūmė too much, he much preferred a clear night or autumn morning. He saw that Dwarin was indeed right; there were several horses outside the inn, tied to fences and such. Soronūmė called to his horse and soon enough the horse came to him. He greeted his friend as his hand delicately stroked over the horse’s head. He then went to get some water from the tap.