Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2002, 07:11 PM   #201
Ivy of the Woods
Animated Skeleton

Ivy of the Woods has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Catriona dismounted her shaggy mare and handed the reins to her lady's boy, Donal. He took the lady's mare, her own and his stallion to the stables of The Green Dragon. Her lady had interesting taste when it came to taverns, never did she stop at the Inns a lady would be expected to stay. She said she enjoyed mixing with the common folk, Catriona thought it was because she had met her late husband in a "common" Inn. Catriona found it was likely there weren't too many more expensive Inns in the Shire but hobbits never ceased to surprise her.
She followed her Lady Laoise into the Inn, with her lady's guard, Padraig close behind.
Laoise and Padraig took to a table while Catriona saw about getting them rooms for the night.

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: Ivy of the Woods ]
Old 12-05-2002, 07:48 PM   #202
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

"It is worth putting up with Wargs when ya get free drinks!" Hamfast cheered. He hops on the table and does a little jig. Singing:

O'delaly o'delaly
Golly what a day!
More drinks here!
What nicer beer,
Could be served,
In any place heard!
I think I'll stay,
'Till the next day,
I see any Wargs about!

Hooray!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 09:17 PM   #203
Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Pile O'Bones

Valeria, Witch of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Valeria, Witch of Angmar
Sting

Valeria reached for her mug of ale, surprised when her hand was shaking a little. The wargs had upset her more than she cared to acknowledge. "I thought I left all that behind..." she murmured. "But I didn't think anyone would follow me either..." She remembered the hateful look the stranger had given her earlier, before he'd slipped outside. "He'll be trouble," she said to herself. "I'd best be on my guard." Looking over, she saw Amron drinking with Fin and supressed laugher. "Amron and an elf having ale together," she chuckled. "Now I have seen everything."
Looking around the room, she came to a decision. "Excuse me, all," she said, pitching her voice to carry, "but does anyone think we could use a little music around here?"
Cries of assent greeted her words and she smiled. "Then I hope you don't mind if I offer up my own humble talents as a singer?"
Again, shouts of "yes."
Valeria cleared her throat and said, "This is an old song that a dear friend taught to mek, though I fear it is rather sad."
"Sing anyway!" someone shouted from the far corner. She laughed. "If you wish it so."

"Farewell, farewell,
My home, my love,
I go to fight
For gods above
And to save this land
From shadow's fate.
I stand before
The midnight gate.

Farewell, farewell,
My love, my home,
Your peaceful hills
I'll never roam
Because, my love,
I die today
And now I stand
In judgement's sway."

She smiled at the somewhat shocked expressions. "I warned you it was sad," she said.
"No..." someone whispered. "I'd just forgotten you could sing so well..."
She looked up to the door. "Who's there?!" Her hand went instictively to the hilt of her sword. All she saw was a flash of shadow outside the window, and, after she had returned to her seat, the shadows the fire threw seemed to be figures creeping behind her and the bright blaze seemed to give off no heat...
Old 12-05-2002, 09:54 PM   #204
Anson Chubb

A robust hobbit chewing on a warm loaf of bread sat in the corner of the inn's common room. He sat alone at a table that he horded all for himself, and had placed his feet up on the tabletop in front of him. A lover of stories, songs, and food -- he cheered after the performance. His mouth was still full with bread, and out came a muffled groan/shout/cry.

"Cheers! Cheers!"

With his free (and chubby) left hand, the hobbit reached for his mug of ale. Swooping it upwards in a salute towards the performer, some of his ale sploshed over the lid and onto the table top.

"Cheers!"

Old 12-05-2002, 10:49 PM   #205
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Although he never would have admitted it, Garen was just as glad the Wargs had chosen to flee, rather than fight. "Mayhap it be my fate to fall to such a creature as that," he muttered to himself, seeking again his corner and a stool on which to elevate his leg, "but I need not seek it out, nay, nor endanger such gentlefolk as here present and unable to defend against the jaws of the beast."
Almost immediately, though, his martial feelings were stirred as a young Dwarf lass made a heated request for aid in the finding of her kin, lost in northern Mirkwood. "Well spoken, lady!" He saluted her with raised cup. "Surely, and that is a noble quest. I offer to you such service as I may render. I know not the area of which you speak, but I offer you my spear, and my skills as both hunter and warrior are well known throught Middle-Earth."
The talk had died down, with most of the inn's patrons converging in small groups, to talk about he knew not what. A young, cheerful Hobbit danced a jig, accompanying himself with a rousing chorus of song. Just the thing to lighten the mood, Garen thought, and smiled.
A lady he had not noticed before then stood, and began a song of haunting beauty. Garen sat still, enrapt in the flowing words, and, when she had finished, surprised himself by hobbling over to stand by her. "Fair lady," he began, "It doth please me greatly to hear such beauty, sad as the content may be. I would know, as I had thought myself well traveled before this, where you heard such a song, and whether it be part of a longer work, or perhaps there is a story to go with it."
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-06-2002, 01:33 AM   #206
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Dwarin made his way through the crowd to the table Celebmorie was sitting at.

“I warned you about those types of conversations”

Without giving her time to reply Dwarin picked her up by the back of her shirt and brought her into the Kitchen.

“Now as soon as your done doing these dishes you can go ahead and rejoin the group. However, if you can go out there and tell a good tale or sing a good song. I’ll let Miss Violet do them and you can continue your fun.”
Old 12-06-2002, 03:05 AM   #207
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin downed his drink with Amron and was sitting contentedly when his new friend said, “um, Fin, your lady friend is being taken away by Dwarin.”
Fin was up on his feet in moments and turned in time to see Dwarin and Celeb enter the kitchen. He made swiftly to follow and after a few strides he was beside the door. He opened it slowly to hear, “…ahead and rejoin the group. However, if you can go out there and tell a good tale or sing a good song. I’ll let Miss Violet do them and you can continue your fun.”
Fin entered immediately and stood between the worried elf and the dwarf innkeeper.
“Now, sir surely you would not let such a fine lady ruin her beautiful hands and clothing by washing dishes! Surely she will not speak so again!”
“Doesn’t matter!” The dwarf was surely and sure in his position.
“I see then,” Fin began and with an inward groan, continued, “well will you at least allow me to take her place? I will wash for you, but let the fair maiden go!”
Old 12-06-2002, 04:18 AM   #208
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Truely this night was a stange one, Amron didnt know what was more astonishing a warg attack out of the blue in the middle of the shire, or shareing a drink with Findorfin! It had been awhile since he had any copanionship, he sat by himself again now Fin had raced off to see what Dwarin and Celebmornie where up to, he was a strang elf some how Amron had expected him to be different, most of the few elves he had met befor had been stuck up and far more restraned! Fin was far more how would you say human!
He now looked in the direction of Valeria she seemed to be looking quite on edge, it seemed as if some thing out side was worrying her, he took a draw of his pipe and looked down at his sword hilt something told him he may need to draw it befor the night was threw. He court he eye and smiled as nicely as he could (he wasnt used to smileing!)

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: the witch king ]
Old 12-06-2002, 09:57 AM   #209
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Inn was back to normal. People were again talking, singing, eating, and drinking. Though there were a few surprises: first a dwarf-maid (which is rare in this part of middle-earth), and then the Wargs.
"What's next? Orcs wishing to tell their tale about Mordor? Or maybe talking oliphaunts would come by and drink some ale," Sarah thought as she chuckled to herself.

Then she saw a maiden being taken away to the kitchen by Dwarin for breaking a rule or two. "Boy! This dwarf is quite tough," mused she.
"More iced tea Mr. Thunderhammer!...er...please." she said to the dwarf after Dwarin finished his business in the kitchen.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 12-06-2002, 11:18 AM   #210
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Glad that he had lightened the mood, Hamfast strolled over to the bar just as Dwarin was leading a young woman into the kitchens by her shirt. When Dwarin stepped out the hobbit asked him,
"A little harsh there with the lady there, those young hands aren't used to scrubbin' dishes, she might go and rub blisters! Now, you wouldn't want that to happen would ya?" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Hamfast laughed a harty laugh and asked for another ale. He then went to sit down with the new hobbit that was there. He seemed like a cheery sort of fellow, giving poor Valeria a cheer. That was a pretty little song, sad or not, sometimes the sad ones can be the best because they are the most believable. He sat down and spoke to the hobbit,
"Hello sir, I am Hamfast Greenhand, an admirable hobbit of Hobbiton, who might you be? I heven't seen you before in the Green Dragon."
Old 12-06-2002, 12:18 PM   #211
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After having a private conversation with the noble Garen about the possibilities of an expedition, Parin wandered into the kitchen, once again seeking solace. She had not imagined that the story she had guarded so long in her heart would receive such a response and was somewhat dizzied by it....

Looking around for something to busy her fidgety fingers with, she espyed the maiden they had called "Celebmornie" above in the tavern. She was bent over a large load of dishes and looked somewhat abashed. Glancing down at the lady's hands, Parin could not help but notice how fine they were. She quickly hid her own in her cloak; her short, square, nimble-fingered, dimple-knuckled hands that were brown as berries from her long walks, taken when she was particularly dreamy for her brother's presence. The elegantly white hands she saw scrubbing dishes before her were as lark's song to a raven's caw in comparison wih hers.

"I'll do that!!!" she exclaimed to the woman, and then immediately found her face was flushed again.

"No, I must do this duty, for I have earned it as my discipline for my sloth....but, I heard your story, if you would sit and talk with me, I will share mine with you as I work."

So the two chattered away as the sounds of similar occupation drifted down to them from the company above....

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Kiara ]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-06-2002, 12:30 PM   #212
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb smiles at Fin. "I will wash the dishes by myself." She turns to the sink and rolls up her sleves. She starts to draw the water and adds soap. When she finishes with that she starts to put the dishes in. She looks for a scrubber and sees it in the corner. "Looks like I am gonna be stuck here for awhile!" She starts to scrub and Fin and the bartender leave. She starts humming ot herself and soon is almost done with her chore. When she finishes washing the last dish she dry's her hands and walks back into the pub. "I am finished!"

Celebmornie
Old 12-06-2002, 12:44 PM   #213
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Hamfast looked up from his conversing with the hobbit and saw Celebmornie walk out of the kitchen. "Ah, done already I see, I guess Dwarin did not put you to too harsh of work m'lady!" He smiled at Celebmornie and went back to talking with the hobbit. This was a nice inn, with some interesting people. He still wondered about the tall man Findorfin, he was a strange silent one indeed. Not the kind you would expect in the Green Dragon, well, by his looks atleast.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 12-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #214
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Belin overheard Hamfast's comment to Celebmornie and nodded. "Yes, Dwarin's conditions seemed quite fair to me," she said, "but you've met only one of them. I'm sure Violet appreciates the washing of dishes, but we appreciate the telling of stories as well, and I'm sure you have some lovely ones. Elves almost always do, in my experience."

Celebmornie looked thoughtfully at the earnest-faced Shirriff. She'd certainly heard some good stories here tonight, and maybe it was only fair for her to reciprocate. She remembered the song she was working on and cleared her throat...
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 12-06-2002, 02:16 PM   #215
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronűmë passed through the door of the Inn to a room full of cheery characters. Singing Hobbits enjoying a drink, a dwarf behind the bar serving and both elves and dwarves conversing with eachother at tables. The stories were true, this did seem quite a place to begin good friendships.

Soronűmë approached the bar where he was greeted by Dwarin, the owner of the inn.
"Can I get you something Sir?" Dwarin asked.
"Yes a drink, an ale I think" he replied. Dwarin nodded and went to fetch the drink, as he did so he said "New to these parts are you?" Soronűmë, who had been distracted by one of the hobbits dancing, turned and replied "Indeed, I am new here, is it so apparent?" "A little" answered Dwarin as he brought over the ale, "you just seem a little suprised to see us all here." "I don't believe I have seen so many in one place, and of different birth too" Soronűmë said as he glanced around. "Yes we pride ourselves in that here in the Green Dragon, everyone is equal" Dwarin stated proudly, "And what might your birth be Sir?" he continued. "My name is Soronűmë, I apologise for not introducing myself earlier. My Journey has been long..." Soronűmë was about to continue when a fair maiden entered the room from a door along a side wall, declaring "I am finished". Dwarin chuckled to himself as he went to attend another customer. Soronűmë wondered what she had meant by that but took his ale and went to sit at an empty table.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:22 PM   #216
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

"Ah, I didn't know of the other condition!" Hamfast told Belin, "I always love a good tale! I will make sure she tells her tale, and I will tell Dwarin if it is not an admirable tale!"
He then called over to Celebmornie, "Whenever you are ready lady elf, you must tell your tale, and tell it well, because if you don't, Dwarin will hear that you have not finished your punishment!" He knew the elf would do fine, "She's a smart one," he thought "and she has that Findorfin for a friend, with his help, she'll tell an excellent tale!"
Old 12-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #217
anson chubb

"Hullo, Hamfast."

Chubb had walked past his fellow hobbit, overhearing his words while on the way to fetch himself a refill of ale and another loaf of bread. Washing down the last remaining chunk of bread with the last drops of ale from his mug, the pudgy hobbit leaned in closer to Hamfast.

"Stories, you say? Well, don't leave Chubb out. I wanna hear."

Old 12-06-2002, 05:25 PM   #218
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

A dark figure entres the small but very adequate inn and looks around.
''Fin my lost friend never in an age did i wonder to find you in this lovely inn''
The two OLD friends embrace and Donlammenion, on seeing a beautiful elf asked to be seated at fin's table.
They sat and fin says (proudly),''may i introduce the dazzling Celebmornie, winner of my heart.''
Don bows to the lovely elf and sits down.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:18 PM   #219
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

Amron looked across at the stranger who had sat down at the table "greetings" he said with nod, he took a long hard draw from his pipe "my name is Amron of Umbar" he stared deeply at the newcomer even if he and fin had made friends he had a deep distrust of strangers and old habbits die hard.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:51 AM   #220
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Belin looked over her shoulder for Dwarin, but he was nowhere to be seen. She cleared her throat.

"Remember Rule 2," she said quietly. "After all, the rooms upstairs also need to be cleaned, and the back of the mantelpiece could use a good dusting."

She looked into the fire, suddenly feeling a little sleepy. "You know," she remarked, in a sudden, confidential voice, "we know all about the inn already. Let's hear about all of you. Why else do we gather here?"
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 12-07-2002, 03:01 AM   #221
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

After the debacle with the Wargs, Susan had tried to go outside for some fresh air, only to find the door barred and the windows shuttered. She'd ended up standing unnoticed in a shadowy corner, but after a while she grew tired and desired to sit. She emerged from her hiding spot in time to hear the end of Belin's speech. hmm. She sauntered over to the table where Belin was still watching that nickety Elf, Celeb...something, and sat down. Belin looked around, but didn't seem too surprised. They were sometime acquaintences and often ended up in odd places together. She nodded a greeting.

Susan nodded back. "I heard you asking for stories. Well, I have one I heard from some Elves in Gondor who got it from some traders in Harad when they went there sometime in the past. It's called "The Hunter's Bow"." She paused and frowned, reconsidering. "Actually, never mind. It's too long."

Belin looked annoyed, as she usually seemed to when Susan spoke to her. "Too long? What's too long? Just tell it already."

Susan shook her head and took a driink of her mead. "No, I thought about it. It would take hours. Here, though," she leaned closer to the Shirrif, "You want to hear a joke?"
Old 12-07-2002, 04:25 AM   #222
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She had come up the Great West road from Gondor to Isengard, passing through the green waves of tall grass which once Men called Calenardhon, and was now known as Rohan. Of all the areas in these inner lands of Middle-earth, this was the one she loved the best, for it most reminded her of her belovéd sea.

Long a friend of the Eorlingas, she had sought out her old companion, Garulf, as she passd through the Riddermark, and he had lent her a horse to bear her on her way to Eriador. Rochfalmar, she was called, for her coat shimmered like a cresting wave shot with the sun’s light while the deep greys of the sea rolled beneath it. And now she cleaved the rolling, long green grasses like a great ship passing through the waves.

To Isengard and up the South road to Tharbad, now fallen since that fell winter when came the White Wolves of the Forodwaith to harry the Shire. Across the River Gwathló, and up the Greenway to Bree, and a pleasant night spent at the Prancing Pony. For it was there she heard of the Wargs and Wolves who now harried the sheep in Bree-land, and she dared not travel The Great East road at night, alone.

A fair day’s ride then to Frogmorton and then on down the road to Bywater. It was here that she was to meet an old friend. There was information to be exchanged, and plans to be made before the crew of The Lonely Star could sail south on their next journey. Somewhere, among the long neglected mathoms of a certain hobbit family, lay a key to their southern riddle.

Dismounting from ‘Falmar, she led her to the stable area and handed the reins to the boy there, instructing him to wipe her down thoroughly and then give her feed and water. He nodded his head at the Elf, and she flipped him a silver penny. He watched, grinning, as it turned end over shiny end in the air and landed in his palm.

Pio strode to the door of the Inn. It was locked, and she banged the pommel of her knife against its thickness. A serving wench opened it, and looked her over saucily, smiling then as Pio winked at her and slipped her a penny. The Elf stepped through the door, stopping just as she entered to let her eyes adjust to the dim interior. She was dressed in a dark grey tunic, unlaced at the throat, and a pair of black leggings tucked into high boots of dark, supple leather. A brown leather baldric held four knives on its crosspiece – two short for throwing and two longer for close in fighting, and on her left hip it held her blade in a plain, brown leather scabbard. Two throwing knives were hidden in her boot tops, one nestled against each leg. A sheathed dagger was secured hilt down to each forearm and hidden beneath the sleeves of her tunic. Over it all she wore a travel stained cloak secured with a tarnished silver clasp, the six-pointed star of Eärendil, a clear, faceted stone at its center. The cloak’s hood was thrown back, revealing shoulder length hair as black as night, framing a fair face set with keen grey eyes, which even now searched the room.

The face she sought was not here. Thirsty, she approached the bar, and ordered a pint of stout. Making her way to an empty booth to the side of the common room, she sat down her back to the wall, and watched the ebb and flow of the patrons.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:42 AM   #223
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

“So, my old friend, what have you been doing?” Fin asked Don.
“Many things my friend, but lately I have been staying at our Kings court, Thranduil has not changed in generosity.”
A swift pained look crossed Fin’s face but it was gone so fast, that only Celeb managed to see it. “I wonder what that was about?” she thought, listening to the two great friends chatter away.
“Have you won the princess Mithrilae’s heart yet, Don?”
“Not yet, but it will be mine.2 Both elves laughed at this seemingly well known topic.
“What is this then,” Celeb asked.
“Thranduil’s daughter, the princess Mithrilae won Don’s heart many years ago,” Fin explained.
“Unfortunately, I am no closer than I ever was to winning her’s back,” Don sighed in mock misery.
“Oh dear,” Celeb fell sorry for her new acquaintance. “Well at least I’ve found someone,” she thought happily, leaning onto Fin’s arm.
A surprised smile crept onto Don’s face and he smiled knowingly at Fin, “I see you have found yourself someone though.”
Fin shrugged, “what can I say1”
“Alas, for now I am alone in my hunt for a lifemate!” Don clasped his face in his hands and assumed and expression of the upmost terror.
“Don’t worry,” Fin said, “I’m sure there’s an elf maiden around here for you. There are many beautiful ones about.”
Celeb’s body tensed slightly at Fin’s statement, but relaxed as he whispered, “though I have already caught the most beautiful.”
Donlammenion turned and surveyed the room, “Fin was right,” he thought, 2there are a lot of lovely elves in here!”
Old 12-07-2002, 11:13 AM   #224
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

Celeb looks around hunting for Kimmy.
"Hold on a minute!"
She runs of to the table.
"Hey Kimmy! I have a question! Were you kidding when you said that you found the perfect man?"
Kimmy looks shocked. "How did you know that I was kidding! I can lie to my mom and she dosent suspect a thing!"
Celeb laughs, "I pay attention! You have been checking out all of the elfs in here! Oh and you can quit looking at Fin! He is mine!" She smiles. "Would you care to join us? I'll introduce you to one of Fins friends!"
Kimmy looks thoughtful. "Sure!"
The two women walk back over to the table and Celeb smiles. "This is Kimmy one of my best friends in the world! Kimy this is Don!" She sits down next to Fin and smiles. "Now for that story I hope you dont mind I have a poem that is better!" Looks thoughtful "Ok! Heres my try!"

"Ned i ethuil uin idhrinn,
Ir i galadh rîn ah laiss,
Ned doron a lith,
I brethil, lalf a eregdos,
Centhagh i gwaith o Mirkwood, tond a bain.

Ir i thoronath cannar an i celebren ithil,
Ned i lhűn morchaint uin môr.
Hwind morchaint thiathar,
Ir i gwaith o Mirkwood linnar,
Ir linnar na i gail uin naur.

Man padatha ah nin,
Man padatha, an sen gwathren eyrn,
Tiri i hwind morchaint ennas?
Egor deri thurin ned i gelaidh a linna,
Ned i ethuil uin idhrinn?

I glîr uin i aewen si pathrar i taur,
A i rhű o gannel.
Lamath bain lastathar,
I lamath uin gwaith o Mirkwood.
Gelir tîn lamath a tîn edhellen pâd."

"I think you might want it in a toung that you can understand!" Celeb says looking around.

"In the spring of the year,
When the trees are crowned with leaves,
In the Oak and Ash,
The Birch, Elm and Holly,
You will see Mirkwood’s people tall and fair.

When the eagles call to the silver moon,
In the blue shadows of the night.
Twirling shadows will appear,
When Mirkwood’s people sing.
When they sing by the light of the fire.

Who will walk with me,
Who will walk to this shadowy wood,
To watch the twirling shadows there?
Or stay hidden in the trees and sing,
In the spring of the year?

The song of the birds now fills the forest,
And the sound of a harp.
Voices fair will be heard,
The voices of Mirkwood’s people.
Merry are their voices and their elvish ways."

Celeb sits down. "Will that do? I herd it from a travaler I met on the trip here!"

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Celebmornie ]

Celebmornie
Old 12-07-2002, 12:24 PM   #225
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

A lovely poem. thought Pio to herself.

She leaned forward from her seat and caught the eye of a passing server. Another glint of silver, and a whispered request. Then the server turned and eyed the four Elves sitting across room, chatting merrily, unaware they were being observed.

Pio watched as the girl set the chilled, Dorwinion wine on the rough surface of the table before the Elves, and offered to fill the cups she had brought with it. One of the males stayed her hand, drawing her near with a soft, low pitched voice, as he asked a question.

She turned slightly, and pointed across the room. Four sets of eyes turned toward the Elf sitting at ease watching them. A smile creased the corners of her lips, as she raised her tankard to them with a nod of her head.

'It's from her, sir.' said the server. 'She liked the poem.'
Old 12-07-2002, 12:38 PM   #226
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

''Well my friend and my lady i must up to find a place to stay this night i wish you both a good night and will catch up with you sooner rather than later fin''
Don steps up from the table a crosses the floor toward the door but turns with a grin which could only be described as wolf like then takes a low bow to his friend and the lovely young elf maiden sat besides him and bids a final good night.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #227
Kimmy Baggins

Silmaril

Kimmy watches Don go and pouts.
"But I actually liked him!" Celeb laughs and gets up. "Be right back."
She walks over to pio. Kimmy looks at her retreating back and smiles at Fin.
"So do you really like her or are you just looking for someone to be with tonight?"
Fin looks mad, "I really like her and I dont believe that is is your place to be aking me that!"
Kimmy laughs and takes another sip of her ale. "I wonder what they are talking about?"

Old 12-07-2002, 01:53 PM   #228
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Moments later, Don reemerges and runs outside. Kimmy smile fades. Fin is bemused, wondering where Don has gone but follows outside.

Under the nearby Oak tree, Don is busy pitching a tent. "What are you doing," Fin exclaimed.
Don turns, "no money." He turns back round and continues to drive the stakes into the moist ground.
“I’m sure Kimmy wouldn’t mind helping you out,” Fin exclaimed.
“Umm..I wouldn’t want her to get wet.”
Fin dragged his friend away from the tent and back inside.
“ I know, how about we re-enact the Battle of Esgalor and Marzhgak.” Don nodded his agreement and they both move into the centre of the room, drawing swords as they go.
“I am Esgalor, Orc-Bane of Mirkwood,” Fin began in a high voice.
“Me Marzhgak!” Don replied in a deep gruff voice.
The two friends started to fight and a crowd gathered as the two lunged and parried. But eventually, Fin fell and Marzhgak lunged, driving the sword deep into the floorboards underneath Fin’s arm.
“Ah, I’m wounded to the death!” Fin cried and with his dying breath stabbed Don in the chest with his knife. Don fell over and they both lay still for a second, before the clapping began.
“Surely worth a free nights board,” one hobbit cried.
“Nay, two at least,2 another cried.
Owever, Dwarin didn’t see it that way and minutes later, both Fin and Don were in the kitchen washing dishes.
“I don’t see why you had to drive your sword so far into the floor,” Fin grumbled.
“I didn’t know the dwarf would be so grumpy,” Don replied.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #229
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Parin had taken to her duties with a vivacious energy that reflected well upon her character and brought a handsome color to her face. Dwarin nodded with grim satisfaction at the sight, and asked her to make a round of the room to make sure his patrons were at their ease and equipped with their favored beverage.

She strode across the room and with purpose, an easy grace governing her movements (where usually she was clumsy and hesitant) in her mission of hospitality. But as she passed by the newcommer of the raven hair and keen glance, Parin stopped short as the sharp eye caught her own. The she-dwarf's deep brown eyes widened at the realization that the woman, whose travel-stained exterior and starry brooch spoke of volumes of experience, was beckoning her.

"A bottle of chilled wine, Dorwinian, if you can discover it's hiding place, for the elven quartet, if you please, my lass," the lady entoned in a rich voice.

Parin looked over her shoulder at gathered elven folk and set off at once with a "Yes, milady," croaked back to the woman who had made the request. Why do I always loose my composure when there are adventurers about? They are exactly the kind of people I need to aid me...

She tripped back into the room, with the sought-after wine (Dwarin's stores were really rather good, she hadn't had to look long) hands trembling with the bottle and cups she quakingly set before the elves, aware all the while of the scrutiny of the mysterious traveller. Nearly knocking over the cups she filled, Parin served the chilled wine.

Quote:
One of the males stayed her hand, drawing her near with a soft, low pitched voice, as he asked a question.

She turned slightly, and pointed across the room. Four sets of eyes turned toward the Elf sitting at ease watching them. A smile creased the corners of her lips, as she raised her tankard to them with a nod of her head.

'It's from her, sir.' said the server. 'She liked the poem.'
Parin half ran back into the kitchen to avoid the hauntingly grey eyes of the woman when she had finished with the elves.

"What are you doing here?" Dwarin reproached her. "The company needs serving!"

Parin mouthed a response as the dark-haired lady moved to the bar.

"Alright, I've got it," he growled into her silence.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Kiara ]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 12-07-2002, 02:19 PM   #230
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Her tankard was dry. No server in site. 'Ah, well!' she said to herself, as she stood up, stretching her road weary muscles, 'You've come this far, you can make it to the bar and back!' She threw her cloak across the table to keep her place, and ambled to where the Innkeeper was pouring ale from the tapped oaken barrel.

'Another one, if you please, good Sir.'

He obliged her, and she turned to go back to her table. An interesting Hobbit and his even more interesting companion caught her eye. She turned back to the Innkeeper and pointed him out. 'Tell me his name, please.' she requested. 'And one more pint of whatever he favors, if you please.'

Approaching the Hobbit's table, she sat the tankard before him. 'Elfred, is it not? A pint for a thirsty shepherd.' she said. A low 'woof' issued from beneath the table, and she bent down to give the dog a chance to take in her scent and her intent. Satisfied, he allowed her to give him a scratch between the ears.

'Handsome, you are!' she crooned to him as she held one hand beneath his grizzled muzzle and caressed his silken ears with the other. His keen eyes met hers and it seemed as if he smiled.

[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-07-2002, 03:13 PM   #231
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Greetings, Amron" Soronűmë replied, "I am Soronűmë". Amron sat down. "A drink Amron?" Soronűmë asked as he gestured to Dwarin at the counter. He noticed that Amron looked uneasy, "You are not fond of strangers, no?" Soronűmë questionned. "It is not so that I am not found of them but I am unsure of them". "As I see, you have not let that sword from your grasp since you sat" Soronűmë said with a smile. Amron smiled and raised his hand to the table as Dwarin brought over his drink. "Well I see you do not travel without weapon yourself Soronűmë, that quiver behind your back would be well hidden if it were not for the bow over your shoulder". "No" replied Soronűmë, "I do not think it wise to travel without such. Your sword though, it catches the eye. Is there not a story to tell there Amron?" he questionned.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:37 PM   #232
anson chubb

With a content, little "mm", Chubb continues on his way to get a new loaf of bread and a refill of ale.

Old 12-07-2002, 06:44 PM   #233
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Belin's usual scowl (Susan was quite wrong in taking it personally; she scowled constantly and indiscriminately at all) lifted at the Elf's lovely song. She applauded heartily.

"Good!" she exclaimed, drawing everyone's surprise, "Good." She beamed disconcertingly at the Elf. "Finally, there are more songs! Yes, this Inn has far greater purposes than the drinking of beer and the arrangement of romances! In fact," and she settled back into her chair, with the hint of a frown coming over her face again, and an eyebrow raised in the direction of Kimmy and her friends, "In fact, carrying on romances entertains me not at all, at least, not by itself. In fact, by itself I won't stand for it; it reminds me much too much of Rule Six. Instead, if you are the old friends you seem to be, tell us your past or tell us your plans. How did you meet? Where are you going? And Celebmornie," she added suddenly, "Who is this traveler? I may have met her. A human woman, I think, with red hair and sad eyes. How is she? Her troubles have been in my mind often of late."

Celebmornie stared in astonishment, while Susan's offer of a joke hung in the air. Belin glanced at the would-be jokester, grinned in approval, and suddenly with her quick glance caught the listening Chubb, who was wandering back to his seat with his ale. "And you!" she said, "You've been quiet all night."

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
Old 12-07-2002, 07:34 PM   #234
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elfred's eyes went wide when the beautiful Elven lady approached him and set the ale on the table. Though a friendly gesture, it somehow seemed unsuitable; as if Elbereth herself had decided to put on an apron and take up the life of a serving maid.

But no matter how astonished, the old shepherd never forgot his good manners. Standing up and bowing low before Piosennial, he declared "Elfred Thistle, at your service, Fair Lady, and may a star shine on the hour of our meeting."

Nop had stood up and was smiling up at the Elf, and he turned his head to cast a laughing look at his master, never having heard such high-faluting speech come from him before. Elfred noticed with embarrassment that Nop had a cockleburr tangled in the fur behind his ear. He hoped that the dog would not offer his paw to the Lady, else she might see how muddy it was.

Mae govannen Master Thistle." The tall Elf-woman smiled and gestured towards the rough table. "Might I be allowed to join you?"

She may as well have said "Might I be allowed to sprout wings and fly around the room?" Elfred's jaw dropped open in even greater astonishment, and his face turned even redder than before.

But once again remembering his upbringing, he scurried around the table and pulled out the battered oaken chair, first dusting off any crumbs with his hat. Then with a strangely courtly gesture, he bade Piosennial to be seated.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 AM   #235
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sarah laughed at what Belin had said. It was quite true that some people in the inn were quite in the mood for love or something.

"You just hit the bull's eye!" Sarah called to Belin, "But I think this inn needs more than storytelling. I propose a dance!" then Sarah pulled an old violin from her bag and climbed on top of the table so everybody could see her ( she had quite enough of iced to tea to remember her mother's teachings that standing on a table was not right).
"I'm not much of a singer and songwriter so much of this song came from Mr. Bombadil. And wether you dance or not, a little fast-paced music would not kill anyone.

Hey! Come derry dol! Hop along, my hearties!
Hobbits, dwarves, elves, men and all! We are fond of parties.
Now let the fun begin! Let us dance together!
Let the music start! Find a partner and dance together!
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,
Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather, Reeds by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
Old Mister Thunderhammer why don't we dance together!"

Then Sarah jumped off the table and played the violin while hopping round and round Mr. Dwarin.
"Shoo silly girl! If I knew iced tea would have any effect on you I would have given you water. Now get away before you crashed into these mugs of ale I'm serving." the grumpy dwarf said. Then Sarah stopped playing the violin and bowed.
"You are such a sweet dwarf even when you're grumpy." Sarah said as she blew a kiss to the innkeeper. He reminds me of my ol' uncle, she thought. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 12-08-2002, 02:15 AM   #236
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Susan grinned back at Belin. "So, how about that joke?"

Belin sat back and waved one hand forward in a "go ahead" gesture, then folded her arms across her chest.

Susan nodded. "All right, then, how many Lakemen does it take to kill a dragon?"

Belin seemed faintly surprised. "How many?"

"Thirteen. Twelve to hold the net and one to stand behind the net shouting draconic pickup lines." Her giggles were soon broken off, however, by the disapproval she saw on the Shirrif's face. Well, at least it was amused disapproval...
Old 12-08-2002, 03:10 AM   #237
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

The Eye

Minutes later, with shrivelled hands and sombre faces, Don and Fin emerged from the kitchen.
“Well at least it was worth it,” Fin mumbled.
“Yeh, suppose so,” Don replied.
“Don’t get your hopes up,” Celeb and Kimmy had been waiting and as soon as the kitchen door had opened, had leapt up and moved towards them.
“Why, didn’t anyone like our re-enactment?” Fin asked.
“We did of course, but no one else seemed to too.”
“But the clapping?”
“Polite?” Kimmy hazarded a guess.
“That’s just great,” Fin exclaimed, “people have asked me to do things since I got here and the two things I do, no one comments on! What’s the point!”
His friends comforted him but he sat, annoyed, “what’s the point, told off when you do, told off when you don’t!”
Old 12-08-2002, 04:03 AM   #238
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio smiled warmly at Elfred as he pulled out the chair for her and bade her sit down. ‘Thank you for your gracious courtesy, Master Thistle. It is often a rare thing these shadowed days to find such a one as yourself. Someone who is still a true gentleman.’ She placed her hand on Elfred’s arm and looked directly at him as she spoke, telling him also that she was called Piosenniel, but that he might call her Pio, if he so wished. He stood, gazing at her, a starry-eyed look in his eyes. She smiled encouragingly at him and increased the pressure on his arm to draw his attention, bidding him sit down in the chair opposite her.

She felt a small pressure on the toe of her boot, and looked down to find Nop standing politely beneath the table, his paw on her foot. She laughed, delightedly, a refreshing, pure sound like clear water bubbling up from a hidden spring. Her hand went down to ruffle the hair behind his ears. ‘Yes, good Nop, you, too, are a gentleman in your own right. Please sit, also.’ Her slender fingers found the cocklebur, and gently worked it loose. ‘Can’t have such a handsome one getting all knotted up from this.’ Nop settled comfortably down on the floor, his chin resting across her right boot.

An awkward silence ensued, at least on the part of Elfred. She furrowed her brow, thinking how she might proceed. ‘Best just to jump in, as usual.’ she thought to herself. Leaning across the table, her voice lowered so that only he might hear her, she began.

‘I was looking to find someone here at the Green Dragon who might help me in some research I am doing on the family of a very old friend of mine. I was to meet someone here today, but I fear they must have been delayed, and I cannot wait to see when they might come.’ Her eyes searched his face, finding no trace of guile. His mind betrayed no hint of shadow. ‘Perhaps I could prevail upon your long memory to help me, if you will.’

Pio took a sip of her ale, watching his face closely. ‘The name I was hoping that would stir someone’s memory is that of Cami, or rather I should say, Camellia Goodchild. Though sometimes she may have been known affectionately as Mistress Nitir.’

Her eyes darkened as she spoke this name, as if the sun were suddenly clouded over, and her face took on a look of great sadness. She looked away from him, toward the low flames dancing in the fireplace. And for just a moment, tears threatened at the corners of her eyes as she recalled memories of a time now long passed . . .

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-08-2002, 05:08 AM   #239
the witch king
Wight

The Eye

"If swords could talk eh?" he said with a slight grin, "mine would have nothing to say for such a nice little inn to hear, i will take you up on that ale" he smiled openly at Soronume "come sit with me, tell me of your self first, where are you from friend"
Old 12-08-2002, 08:08 AM   #240
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

The Barrow-Wight set down his still half-full glass of beer and stood quickly, pushing his chair back and stepping out into the aisle between tables. The Inn was so crowded that he had to forcibly move some standing people out of his way as he walked directly toward his apparently unsuspecting target. Amron started violently as he was grabbed on his left shoulder and spun around to face his elder.

“Young man, you have obviously failed to grasp the basic ideals we strive for in the Dragon. Haven’t you?”

Amron looked at him with an open-mouthed stare.

“Here in the Green Dragon,” the Barrow-Wight continued, pulling poor Amron towards the kitchen, “the idea is not to converse with the other guests, but to graphically describe yourself, your actions, and your surroundings. Kind of like a book. We don’t ask that you be a professional author, nor do we insist on gads of flowery prose, but we do insist that our friends gathered here put a bit more effort into their utterings than you have.”

Celebmornie watched with a knowing grin as she watched the Barrow-Wight pull the helpless man toward the stack of dirty dishes in the back room. She obviously remember the lessons that scullery had taught her. She suddenly felt insecure as he turned to her with a menacing glance. I’ll have to remember to talk to her about that dirty fork I was given just after she finished her chores. he thought.

He deposited Amron before a sink filled with warm, soapy water and surrounded by tall towers of dirty plates, pots and pans.

“The eating never stops at the Dragon,” he said, “and neither does the scrubbing. Start washing, and don’t stop until you have absorbed my meaning.”