User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2002, 10:01 PM   #241
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The history of Maladil Castle? I was just getting started, Bethberry.

Late in the Second Age, Maladil forfeited his Elven immortality and married Adela, a mortal woman. They had a son named Kenelm, a daughter named Calimie, and a host of beloved servants.

All was well until Adela died. Then, Maladil repented of his decision to give up his immortality. One night in a drunken rage, he swore a mad oath that unless Kenelm sailed West and convinced the Valar to restore his immortality, his fëa would refuse to depart Middle Earth, but remain inside the castle through all eternity, though his body die. Maladil further swore that neither would the Valar take his children or servants the way his wife had been taken, and that Kenelm, Calimie, and all his servants would share his fate.

Within the week, Orcs raided the Castle and slew all the inhabitants in their sleep. But the Orcs stole away no treasure, for the ghosts of Maladil, Kenelm, Calimie, and the servants drove off those who dared disturb the precious metals and other finery. It is said the ghosts guard the Castle to this day, and that Calimie passes her long hours by tending the ancient herb gardens on the Castle grounds.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:55 PM   #242
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry listened with rapped attention to the elaboration of the story of Maladil castle which Gandalf gave. The story bore all the traces of a true yarn and Gandalf lost no opportunity to tell it with a disciplined reserve all the more fitting for a story of such bitter truth.

Bethberry nodded solemnly although her eyes shone with appreciation for the extent of Gandalf's knowledge.

My wise friend, your story is all I could ask for, and much more. A foreboding tale that calls for at least an ale and pipe. Can I buy you ale and offer you the leaf?
Old 07-19-2002, 12:37 AM   #243
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly took the remark from Bird good naturedly, or at least as good naturedly as a pint of good ale can encourage. And besides, it was no use trying to get one up on Bird in this matter, she had been brought back by a Ranger.

She listened to Gandalf's tale of the castle, its riches, and the gruesome beings which now inhabited it. He was a wonderful storyteller, knowing just when to draw out a pause for effect.

She had noticed, sitting at another table, a hobbit listening intently to each word. What interested her was that he didn't seem to over react to the descriptions of the grisly family, but seemed more focused on the parts of the story where the words 'treasure'and 'riches' came up.

'Interesting', she thought to herself, and filed the thought away as Olo brought over another set of full pints, and a glass of spiced wine for Bird.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #244
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry looked over at Holly, who was obviously forgetting the incident with the Ranger in her interest in Gandalf's story.

Aye, Holly, you're on to something. Gandalf's timing is superb. But then, he always arrives just when he means to, eh, friend? *friendly nod in the direction of the wizard.*

Rather like the fortuitous timing of our approach to you on the road, eh, Arcon? *a cheery smile with sparkling eyes accompanies this question to the Eldar*

Bethberry then beckoned to the publican, who came over and acknowledged a whispered request with a nod. Quickly he returned with several large fruit pies, bumbleberry, gooseberry, strawberry and rhubarb, which he cut into substantial pieces, and served on plates for all the Tharbad travellers, including Meneldi and Estalarion who had sat at the side away from the othes, as well as Birdie, Arcon, Naaramare, Holly and her friend Olo, Gandalf, and Bethberry, with a hefty serving of cheese slices on the side. As Bethberry handed him several pieces of copper as both payment and tip for the pies, she saw the merchant hobbit's eyes grow wide at the sight of the pies. She turned to him to address him.

It would appear that we have more than enough pie for all our company. Would you care to join us in its disappearing act, Mr. Traveller? My name is Bethberry.*a welcoming smile plays upon Bethberry's face, in case the offer of pie were not incentive enough to join the group.*

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-19-2002, 08:37 PM   #245
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Bird set her piece of strawberry rhubarb pie on the low table near her, and went back to her perusal of the flames, cup of wine in hand.

'Are you going to eat that,Bird?' asked Holly, pointing to it with her spoon. Bird shook her head 'no', and pushed the plate toward the hobbit.

'Thank you!', she said in delight. She motioned Olo to come closer and share her bounty. Soon the two were tucking in to the pie slices with great gusto, taking bites from each other's plates, and praising the baker who had made such a light crust and such tasty fillings. More praise was heaped on Bethberry for thinking to order such delights.

When the last bit of crust had been spooned up,and the last drop of sweet filling swiped from the plate with a sticky finger, the two hobbits sat back and gave sighs of satisfaction.

Bird had fallen asleep in her chair, her feet to the embers. Holly got up to cover her with her cape and took the cup from her hand.

She saw that the hobbit from the other table had come to sit near Gandalf and Bethberry and was plying the wizard with questions about his story. Nudging Olo on the arm, she whispered, 'Let's go sit over there. I'd like to see who that fellow hobbit is, and why he's so interested in that old story.'

Olo groaned and got up to follow her. Halfway there he brightened at the thought that perhaps Gandalf would tell another story, and perhaps after the story there would be more pie.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #246
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

An ale, a pipe, and a choice of pies is a sumptuous reward indeed ... made all the better through the pleasure of your company, dear Bethberry. Who else but a true Bombadil could make such a fine hostess, as to make everyone feel at home while away from home? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Gandalf, still hungry from the road's adventures, launched into a thick slice of cheddar cheese and gooseberry pie. The tart green berries were given just the right delicate sweetness with a combination of brown sugar and honey. *

* Holly and Olo came over to the pie-laden table. The two were just in time to catch the name of the country Hobbit, who'd been listening so intently to the tale of Maladil Castle that someone had stolen his beer right from under him and he'd had to order another. *

Gracious, it's an honor to meet you, Bethberry. Podo Cotton of Overhill, at your service. * Podo bowed in the best Hobbit fashion while looking out of the corner of his eyes at the assorted fruit pies, lest someone steal them too. * We're too far South for Buckleberry pies, I suppose. Had my fill of 'em last year when I won the pie-eating contest. But it's not always July in Hobbiton, is it? Oh, where are my manners? Thank you Bethberry, for sharing your dessert and your table!

* Podo then plopped himself down in a chair, so uncomfortably close to Gandalf that if only Podo were taller, the Hobbit would have been breathing down the wizard's neck. In between bites of strawberry rhubarb pie, talking with his mouth full, Podo let loose a torrent of questions about castles and gold and dangers and gold. * After all, * the Hobbit finally asked * ... what harm can ghosts do in broad daylight? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

* Gandalf for his part did all he could to answer his Hobbit inquisitor with the most unhelpful vague grunts possible. At times one wondered whether the old wizard had gone hard of hearing, for some questions went unanswered altogether. *

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #247
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry was pleased, really, really pleased in a deep-down contented way, that all the Tharbad travellers were finally sharing and enjoying a convivial dinner together. Well, all but Birdie, whose soft snores provided a kind of gentle background rhythm to the dinner. Perhaps there would be a piece of pie left over for her for first breakfast tomorrow morning.

It was, as well, healthy to see that the haunted, worrisome look on Naaramare's face was diminishing a bit, almost like a palimsestet, as a small glow of fellowship began to shine on her face. She obviously was relaxing a little.

Not quite so pleasant was the look on Gandalf's face as he was crowded by Podo Cotton and plied with all manner of thoughtless questions. Bethberry herself was quite relieved that her mouth was full of sumptuous bumbleberry pie and cheddar cheese, for she was conveniently inconvenienced in not being able to reply to all of the hobbit's questioning. She resorted to nodding and tilting her head, raising her eyebrows, mummering occasionally, in order not to appear thoroughly uncivil to the hobbit.

It would appear that nothing much was to be learnt about the road from this hobbit, whose attention was so thoroughly directed to things superficial.

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-20-2002, 09:47 AM   #248
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly looked askance at the hobbit sitting next to Gandalf.

'My goodness,' she said, as an aside to Olo, 'they grow some rude hobbits in Overhill, if he is any example!' She watched him, crumbs spilling down his vest, asking nosey questions, and gesturing at the wizard with his spoon to emphasize his points.

'I'm surprised the cook hasn't come out and threatened him with her rolling pin for his off comments about the pies.' replied Olo, watching as Podo reached for the last piece of gooseberry pie.

Holly reached across the table with her knife and claimed the slice. Podo drew back his hand hastily.

'Oh, sorry!,' she said, smiling prettily. 'I didn't see you wanted that! My friend, Peri, is awfully partial to gooseberry pie and I thought to bring him a piece. I hope you don't mind? Seeing as I've already stuck my dirty knife in it.!' Her smile widened even further as she drew the pie pan toward her.

'Be my guest.' said Podo, who had already turned his attention to the bumbleberry pie to the left of him.

Olo followed Holly toward the inn's kitchen. 'Where are we going?' he asked.

'Peri really does like gooseberry pie, and I thought,if we went quietly out the kitchen's back door, we might avoid that Ranger.'

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-21-2002, 01:03 AM   #249
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Arcon sat casually eating a piece of simple apple pie and drank a small glass of dark wine. He looked over at Bethberry and raised an eyebrow as Podo devoured slice after slice of pie, in a very sloppy manner. The constant barrage of pointless, often redundant questions to Gandalf began to annoy Arcon slightly. "What an obnoxious little fellow," he thought to himself.

But Arcon quickly threw off this thought and went back to his pie and wine. Filling fullfilled after his dessert, Arcon stood and streached. "I believe I shall go for a walk under the stars," he said to the group, " and would welcome any company. I thank you Bethberry for the sumptuous pies, they were most enjoyable," Arcon said. He bowed to all the company and bid them goodnight, tied his cloak around him and walked to the door.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:23 AM   #250
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Olo and Holly made their way through the kitchen, stopped only once by the cook who was just setting up things for next morning's breakfast. 'And where might you young folk be going?' she said, standing directly in their path with her arms crossed across her chest.

'It's Olo, Goodmistress! Surely you recognize me. I've brought my friend Holly back to meet you. She was going on so about your delicious pies that I said I would take her to the source.'

Holly came forward, and made a small curtsy to the cook. 'Your pies are so wonderful, ma'am! They remind me of the one's my dear mother used to bake. I just had to meet you!' She smiled winsomely at the woman in front of her.

The cooks mouth began to twitch, and her shoulders followed. She let out a long hearty laugh, and wiped the tears from her eyes. The two hobbits looked at each other, befuddled.

'Now what is it you two really want from me?'asked the cook.

'But we really do like your pies!' chimed the hobbits in unison. 'And,' said Olo, looking at Holly, 'We would like the use of your back door if it wouldn't be too much trouble.'

'Go on, then.' said the cook, shooing them toward the rear entrance. 'You've given me a good laugh for the night.' She looked at them thoughtfully and added,'Be careful, you two. There are strange comings and goings of late. Stick close to the inn, and don't go off wandering.'

They went quietly out the door, checking carefuly for any sign of the all too helpful Ranger. They were halfway across the courtyard to the stable when they saw Arcon exit from the front door and stride down the path.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:48 PM   #251
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie listened to the pointed questions and none-too-subtle hints of the loquacious Podo Cotton of Overhill. Occasionally she let out a soft snore of a human sleeping off her cups, while trying to hear whatever curt answers Gandalf chose to give to the inquisitive halfling. Birdie never really fell asleep in a common room of an pub, not after that unfortunate incident at the Forsaken Inn six years ago.

Podo was an *** , that much was clear. Knowing nothing of the world outside of his sheltered Overhill, though he pretended to a worldliness he did not possess. You had to walk with your eyes and ears open to learn about the world and the people in it, and when this Mr. Cotton walked, he saw only himself. And he had a most unbecoming interest in treasure and easy pickings. All-in-all, one of the more unpleasant examples of a generally pleasant race.

But Bird had to wonder why Gandalf would introduce the tale of the Castle Maladil and its "treasures" in the first place. Could he be talking up this Old Wives tale in order to distract attention from the gathering of Rangers around the inn?

Bird decided it would be a good night to sleep under the stars. She might hear or see something while in Ent form. And she needed to save her silver pennies, anyway.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-21-2002, 05:03 PM   #252
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel pouted into the fire some more. She looked up and, when she saw that no one saw her, dropped the pout and got up. She walked over to Estelarion, who ignored her. She sat down next to him, and listened to the wise Mithrandir telling stories and answering questions. She rested her chin on her knees, and felt Estelarion sit up next to her, and assume a similar position.

--------------

Estelarion saw Menelduliniel come over, and decided to see what she would do if he ignored her. She did nothing, much to his disappionment. Annoyine her was fun...and easy at times...but she could be so difficult! And Mithrandir was telling some interesting stories and facts...

So Estelarion abandoned his abandonment of Menelduliniel, and sat up next to her, getting in the same position she was in to listen to the wise wizard...
Old 07-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #253
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf barely kept from smiling when Holly speared the last piece of gooseberry pie with her knife. The dancing twinkle in the wizard's eyes communicated his light-hearted appreciation of Holly's brilliant way of handling the greedy Podo. Still captive for the moment to Podo's babbling, he nodded a silent farewell as Holly and Olo left the table in order to deliver the coveted treat to the deserving Periwinkle. *

* When Arcon, too, rose from the table to enjoy the peaceful fresh air under the stars, Gandalf waved a farewell. This time, his look said that gladly would Gandalf join the Elf for a walk outside as there were important matters to discuss. However, discretion kept him silent and seated. *

* The only answers which Birdie heard about Maladil Castle while she feigned sleep were muffled discouraging words about how even the most ruthless highwaymen, ragamuffins, and cutthroats gave the haunted Castle and its land a wide berth. Indeed, even Orcs would not dare set foot on ground so wretchedly cursed. *

* At last the exasperating Hobbit stopped to take a breath, and Gandalf got a word in edgewise ... *

Podo Cotton, last year when I saw you at the picnic in Hobbiton, you were wearing faded trousers with holes in one knee, held up by floppy suspenders, and a shirt so old you might have inherited it from your great-great uncle thrice removed. Now here you are, sporting new clothes as fine as any in the Shire. And speaking of gold, Podo, I couldn't help noticing that shiny pocket-watch of yours dangling from your vest. Tell me, what exactly is the secret of your success?

Why Gandalf, Sir ... answered Podo, just putting a few new business tips into practice, and having good luck in meeting customers. My entire crop of pipeleaf has found a buyer ... it's all spoken for, I've none left to spare.

As simple as that, Podo?

* The tables were turning ... now it was Podo's turn to give vague and unhelpful answers. The Hobbit shifted in his seat, moving his spoon around to scoop up the last remaining dollops of pie from his plate. * I see you're travelling with a Hobbit merchant, Holly something. Can't have the competition knowing what I'm up to in my dealings, can I? * Podo rose, bowed a polite goodnight, and with a grimace halfway between a smile and a yawn, made his way to his room for the night, on quick Hobbit feet. Naaramare breathed a sigh of relief after he left. *

* Gandalf turned to Bethberry. * There's someone outside, waiting to be contacted. No good getting together tonight, not after all the excitement we've had on the road ... the company needs a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed after battling the likes of wraiths and ruffians. Everyone who's journeyed with us on the road ... well, I can explain things to the group tomorrow morning, in a less public setting. Can you do me a favor, Bethberry? Have your falcon Wyrd deliver a written message to someone? He'll be in a grey cloak and standing near the door just outside, I should think. * Gandalf scribbled down a note on a scrap of parchment. *

Meneli, Estelarion ... is there a song you could play for us? * Gandalf looked at the Elves expectantly. *

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-21-2002, 08:29 PM   #254
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Certainly, Gandalf. I haven't fed Wyrd yet tonight, so he will be expecting to hear from me.

Bethberry nodded, took the rolled parchment from Gandalf, and walked to the open window where all had earlier seen the black horse of Mordor neighing triumphantly.

She whistled twice, sharply, in quick succession, and Wyrd rapidly came to perch on the window frame. Bethberry slipped the parchment into a metal clasp around his leg, and then stroked his head and fed him something she had retrieved from her leather bag. Whispering in a language none present could understand, she then lifted him up and tossed him into the air, where his wing beats rapidly lifted him out of sight, but not before he startled the two delinquent hobbits, Holly and Olo, whose shrieks as he appeared out of nowhere had certainly alerted the Ranger to their attempts at stealth.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:59 AM   #255
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

After delivering the pie to Periwinkle, and assuring herself that he had enough hay and water for the night and a comfortable place to doze, Holly went back to the door of the stable where Olo was standing guard in the shadows for any lurking Rangers or other suspicious looking characters.

'Is it clear?', she said, in a quiet voice, 'I think so,' he whispered back, peeking his head outside once more for a look around.

They had spied the Elf, Arcon, just before they had gone in the stable, heading down the path from the Tavern. Thinking that meant the Ranger was no longer hanging about, they decided to head for the river once again to do a little star-gazing of their own.

The two hobbits had almost made it to the edge of the courtyard near the path to the river, when two sharp whistles rent the night silence, and a large bird of prey swooped silently and swiftly out of the dark sky, heading for an open window in the Inn.

They were startled by its appearance, and both let out small gasps of surprise - not very loud, but still just enough for the sharp-eared man, standing in the shadow of the Inn's large tree to notice them,and come walking toward them.

'O! We're for it now!' said Olo, and nodded his head toward the figure coming toward them. Holly looked at the Ranger,and calculated just how soon he would reach them.
She grabbed Olo's hand and walked slowly toward the approaching man with apparent unconcern. When she was close enough to see his familiar face, she smiled and greeted him warmly, telling him they had just come from seeing to her pony and were on their way back to the Inn.

'Now that is an interesting route you were taking, young mistress.' said the Ranger, his eyes twinkling. 'I think I'll just escort you back to the door to see you don't get lost.'

'As you wish, good sir.' she replied, thinking all the while of taking another route out from the back door once back inside.

'And I might mention I've posted a man at the back door tonight. Wouldn't want anyone sneaking in, now, would we?' A smile creased the corners of his mouth, and he gently urged them on.

Olo held the door for Holly, and she went inside. He was just about to follow when the hand of the Ranger restrained him, drawing him out for a whispered talk.

'There is strange traffic on the roads and in the shadows tonight, young sir. I would urge you to keep your sweeting safe inside tonight and leave us to go about our business.' He faded back into the shadows, leaving Olo to enter the Inn alone.

'What did he say to you, Olo?' asked Holly as he came into the common room. Olo blushed and stammered, 'Well, nothing really. He just wished us a good night in his Ranger sort of way.' 'I see.' she said, looking at him quizzically. She yawned. 'Oh, I'm so sorry, but I am tired. I think I'll say good-night to you and go upstairs. See you tomorrow for breakfast?' She headed up the short staircase, and waved back to him before disappearing down the hall.

'Oh, yes, . . . definitely.' said Olo to her retreating figure. He stood in thought for a moment and then turned and scanned the room for the one called Gandalf. Seeing him still sitting at the table, with the lovely woman, Bethberry, he walked over and asked if he might speak with him.

The wizard nodded his assent and smiled encouragingly at the hobbit. Olo blurted out, 'Well, it's like this, sir, seeing as how you will be leaving soon, I was thinking how my business here is all taken care of, and you might need another stout arm to make sure your journey is a safe one, and well, I . . . I'd like to go with you, sir, if you don't mind, that is.'
Old 07-22-2002, 05:04 AM   #256
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

With Bethberry off to call to her falcon, and Gandalf engaged in speaking with the Halflings Olo and Holly, Birdie decided now was as good as time as any to get out of the common room and find her a spot to sleep outside.

As she morphed into the form of a Neekerbreeker, the blanket Holly had thrown over her collapsed silently into the chair. Bird struggled through the folds of the throw to the edge of the chair and jumped down, still amazed after many years at how far she could fall in this form without harm.

Creeping to the edge of the hearth, she could not help but let out a few muffled "neek-breeks" before she managed to control herself. It seemed to be something that these creatures were drawn to do.

Scanning the now vast and cavernous room, she looked for the best route outside. The doorway seemed to be busy at the moment, with the last of the late night strollers coming in to claim their rooms for the night. The window then, beside the table there.

She made a last check for spiders; this inn was clean and such predators did not seem to be a problem here. The inn's cat was asleep on the bar, and would be oblivious to her presence. So Bird set out across the floor of the inn, traveling in leaps that, if she had been in human form, would have equaled 50 feet each.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-22-2002, 10:28 AM   #257
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry left the open window, where the night air was cold but fresh, to return to Gandalf's table and the warmth of the great fireplace. She overheard Olo's request to Gandalf and smiled to herself.

Well, Olo, are you sure you are not looking forward to guarding such delicious pies as we have had this evening? I assure you, we hardly eat like this on the road, unless it is as food for, ah, thought. She offered a good-natured grin to the pleading hobbit while she searched for her mug of tea amid the pile of empty plates and pie pans on the table.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:52 PM   #258
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Estelarion pulled out an ornately decorated silver flute, smiling. Menelduliniel looked at him waiting to see if he would take it out. Estelarion stood up and put out his hand for Menelduliniel to take, and helped her stand. She cleared her throat briefly, then they started...

Cartel carad, cartel-e-aglar'ni, cartel-e-nwalma e ilya riamin!
Telio a' amin, re'na lindon i'min yaara:
I'Teleri dagron yassen i'earsira-e-gorga;
I'Istar, mith, e seorsa, elee nostale,
I'Istar istant vanimho, tyelant i'huine;
Ar' nwalmalle, mankee ilin, iant sii'
Yassen tellen celeb no' i'gaear
Ron lindon lindelsen taurn ar' ereb.
Telio, amin elen n'yassen elen i'umbar tel' Eldalie,
Amin utun nu i'ylwai e mela ar' n'mela,
E' ilya net' n'alya ar' n'noldo coin re,
Vanim oira ranon no' mallehe.

Menelduliniel sang only half of the song, but stopped, since she did not know how people liked the song, or whether she should finish it. The song was also so long...if they wanted the other half...if they knew it and liked it...they'd tell her...
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 PM   #259
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* From his seated position, Gandalf bowed thanks to Bethberry and Wyrd for their helpfulness in delivering the message to the ranger. He then turned to address Holly's friend Olo: *

My good Olo, hail and well met. Accompanying our motley band of travellers might not be as glamorous as you'd want. Tomorrow morning there'll be a meeting, ... specifically for those of us in my party who've come in together at the Trade Inn here in Sarn Ford. As for you, Olo, I wonder if you could do me a favor instead of attend the meeting? There's a large black war steed outside who will need looking after. Being that the horse hails from the East, well, it's a delicate matter. Agree, Olo, and you're welcome to come with us to Tharbad.

* Gandalf finished speaking, and blinked, puzzled. He could have sworn he heard faint "neek-breek" noises issuing from inside the Common Room. Strange. He frowned for a moment, then relaxed again as Meneli and Estelarion began their song. As they paused, he encouraged the Elves with a cry of ... * Artfully performed! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Outside, the black war horse had looked up from time to time, flicking its ears at a grey-cloaked watcher and the comings and goings of two Halflings. The grey-cloak must've been a guard, keeping the two Halfling prisoners alive for now, herding them back into the Inn whenever they tried to escape. *

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:05 AM   #260
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

The night air was cool and crisp, "Perfect weather for a mid-night's walk," Arcon thought to himself. The dusty path was lined with smooth, gray stones here and there, the lanes lined with a few houses and stores, which were closed for the evening. Faint glows of candle light leaked out through the shutters of the homes, and cast a ambient orange around the hedges and low shrubs that wrapped many of the houses.

Occasionally, Arcon would stop for a minute and gaze up at the stars, which were all out, twinkling in the cloudless night sky. There was one star in particular that Arcon had loved for many years, one that appeared long ago, during the travels of Gandalf, Bethberry, and himself. Arcon sighed heavily, "Ned annan, tad min uva athrado, Haidan, nae nedh i thamais o Mandos."

"Ai, Arcon," came a voice from behind the elf. Arcon turned and smiled, realizing who had called his name. "Ai, Agluchel, mae govannen," Arcon replied.

"It is good to see you north again. Your affairs south are all in order I trust."

"Indeed they are, I am actually on erranc from Mithlond, and needed to stop by here to hold council with you and the others."

"You shall indeed. In fact, Gandalf is here in Sarn Ford, and he will likely seek council with us in the morn. Perhaps you could join us."

"My friend, I am a leap ahead of you. Upon my arrival in Mithlond, Cirdan informed me of a matter of great importance and that a council at Tharbad was necessary. Upon travelling south once more, I met up with Mithrandir on the road just north of here, and have travelled with him the rest of the way. I was planning on attending his council with your folk tomorrow."

"I see, I thought I had seen you at Gandalf's table, with some... interesting folks."

"Interesting, and valiant as well. They all have shown great worth on the road during an attack by highwaymen. Though they are not Rangers, they have great heart, and that is often all that is needed."

"Ha, I have missed your optimism Arcon, it is good to have you here," Agluchel said laughing. "I'm sorry but I must be off, the night is young and there are things that must be taken care of. I will see you tomorrow at the council. Maer du," the Ranger said bowing.

"Maer du," Arcon replied. As Agluchel disappeared once again into the night, Arcon continued his stroll down the dusty path, gazing at the stars from time to time.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 07-23-2002, 02:24 AM   #261
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Olo blushed when Bethberry addressed him, and protested that guarding pies was not really what he had in mind. And as for the menu, he was not a particular sort of hobbit about what he'd eat. 'In fact,' he said 'I come from a large family, all boys, and we ate what ever was put in front of us and were thankful for it.'

He listened to the elves as they sang and played the flute. 'So wonderful!', he thought to himself. 'I hope she tells us what the words mean; they sound very beautiful. Her voice is so clear, like a bell. And the notes from the flute echo her perfectly. It must be nice to have someone so close to you, that you can almost complete their thoughts.' He was quite a romantic little creature and his thoughts went on like this during the song, eventually turning to the hobbit lass who had gone to sleep upstairs. Thoughts of her wove in and out of the music to the point that he almost missed the fact that Gandalf had addressed him.

'Beg pardon, sir?', he said. 'The black horse? Yes, I can look out for him. Worked with many a horse and pony on our little farm in Michel Delving. I'll curry him and Peri tomorrow and get them ready for the road. Will you want to be riding him, sir? I can work with him on that if you like. He doesn't seem the sort to be a pack animal -- too high strung for that, I think.'

He waited for Gandalf to reply, all the while trying not to show how completely thrilled he was to be going with the little band of travellers.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-23-2002, 06:11 AM   #262
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie reached the windowsill in leaps and bounds - literally. She sat and looked out at the night, scanning it with her antennae. The woods were full of Rangers! She could sense the men scattered in the trees and hedgerows surrounding the inn. What would bring about such a gathering in this backwater place so far from the Northlands?

And there was Acron. It was to be expected; few Elves appreciated the comforts of a Man's inn, preferring to wander the night in waking sleep and Elven dreams. She saw the Elf-Lord approach and join in conversation with the Ranger who had escorted Holly and Olo back to the tavern. Well, of course he would know one of these wandering men.

(Birdie had known a Ranger once long ago. Or at least he had SAID he was a Ranger. She still couldn't believe she had fallen for that one.)

She tried to hear what conversation the two were having, but they were speaking Sindarian, which Birdie did not know. She let out a small "neek-breek" of frustration. Most likely they were discussing weighty matters that, hopefully, would not involve her or her fellow travelers too much.

The Elf and Ranger parted, the mysterious Wood Man walking back towards the tavern. He paused by the doorway, and fumbled with a pipe and tinderbox. Bird wondered if she would ever have the chance to steal off into the woods and morph into Ent form. She was getting sleepy!

At that moment, a hairy, burly wagon driver stood and stretched at the table behind her. He reached to close the window, and saw Bird sitting on the sill. "Bah!" he snorted in disgust. "Neeker-Breeker." The ham-size hand came whooshing down.

Bird instinctively jumped. And landed right on the sachel that the Ranger carried at his side. She froze, fearing that the wanderer might have heard the small sound of her body snicking against leather. Then she smelled the parchment. All bugs love parchment and to a Birdie in bug form, it smelled as wonderful as Bethberry's pies. "A small snack wouldn't be amiss before bedtime." she reasoned, and burrowed down into the satchel, where she found a small, tightly rolled scrap of parchment. Birdie commenced to munching.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-23-2002, 04:55 PM   #263
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Sting

Menelduliniel smiled.

"It is a song that was changed when put into Westron. It is the first half. The Westron version is (it keeps the same idea):
Red Rose, proud rose, sad rose of all my days!
Come near me, while I sing the ancient ways:
Teleri battling with the bitter tide;
The Wizard, grey, wood-nurtured, quiet-eyed,
Who cast dreams, and stopped ruin;
And thine own sadness, whereof stars, grown old
In dancing silver sandalled on the sea,
Sing in their high and lonely melody.
Come near, that no more blinded by man's fate,
I find under the boughts of love and hate,
In all poor foolish things that live a day,
Eternal beauty wandering on her way.

It was altered a bit for Sindarin, but...if you would like to here the other half..."

Estelarion began again and Menelduliniel began to sing in her bell-like voice:

Telio, telio, telio, -- A, glennao amin
Ndor ten' i'cartel quant!
Amin n'aněron ten net' lad;
I'lhűg n'beleg nurta e' felata,
I'nât rima e' i'salch,
Ar' istilai en' Fěreb moota ar' waan;
Nan' tiro ereb ten i'net' n'ataya nyarant
Ed' i'Valar a' i'hűn tiri en' i'gurtha,
Ar' istimo lir lammen gwaith n'sinta.
Telio; aněron, n'ala anton glenna,
Lindo en' Valinor ar' i'men yaara:
Cartel carad, cartel-e-aglar'ni, cartel-e-nwalma e ilya riamin!

Menelduliniel ended the song.

"That last part...that meant, in the Westron translation:
Come near, come near, come near -- Ah, leave me still
A little space for the rose-breath to fill!
Lest I no more hear common things that crave;
The weak worm hiding down in its small cave,
The field-mouse running by me in the grass,
And heavy mortal hopes that toil and pass;
But seek alone to hear the strange things said
By the Valar to the bright hearts of those long dead,
And learn to chant a tongue men do not know.
Come near; I would, before my time to go,
Sing of old Valinor and the ancient ways:
Red Rose, proud Rose, sad Rose of all my days.
The song's title is 'A' I'Cartel Deno' I'Malle' En' Coiasira'...which is 'To The Rose Upon the Road of Time'...I like the song, personally...I hope you did, as well."

((OOC: BTW: that was really a modification of a poem called "To the Rose Upon the Road of Time" by W.B. Yeats...names were changed, but that's about it...such as Valinor, Teleri, Wizards, etc. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ))

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 07-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #264
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Oh my!' said Olo,as the last notes faded into the air. 'That was beautiful, and sad altogether. Thank you for that song, elves!' He bowed to them, and then took his leave to go to his rest. Tomorrow would be a busy day, and he'd best get all the sleep he could for it.

Humming the tune to the song, he climbed the stairs and found his room. No sooner had his head hit the pillow when he dropped into an easy slumber. The elven words were running through his dreams 'A' I'Cartel Deno' I'Malle' En' Coiasira', and the pleasant feel of her hand grasping his.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:42 PM   #265
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* With the full moon as a reading lamp, the ranger known as Agluchel finished reading Gandalf's note and nodded to himself. The meeting would take place at 10:00 in the morning by Shire reckoning, at a secure cabin on the outskirts of Sarn Ford, far enough off the main road to afford sufficient privacy. *

* Agluchel opened his satchel. His hand muscles tensed in surprise as a bug flittered across his fingers. But what really made the ranger groan in dismay was the discovery that the letter he'd been entrusted with to give to Gandalf was now in tatters. A sharp pinch ... something had bitten Agluchel! The satchel fell to the ground. Shredded parchment tumbled out. *

"Oh no ..." sighed Agluchel aloud, "Elrond's letter to Galadriel. Totally destroyed." [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-23-2002, 10:11 PM   #266
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The parchment was delicious! First quality goatskin, probably prepared by Elven hands. The ink lent a delicate undercurrent to the fine writing material. Birdie could not help herself. She had barely eaten that evening, and the wine she had drunk before the fire had only stimulated her appetite. She ate until she felt she would burst out of her carapace.

Then the wine and food made Birdie do a very foolish thing, (though the stuffiness of the satchel may have been to blame as well). She fell asleep.

She awoke to a sudden chill of air and five massive logs falling down upon her. They bent and swayed, scraping the sides of the satchel and shaking her as violently as any earthquake. Birdie jumped instinctively upward, landing on a monsterous, hairy arm as she scrambled to keep her balance. But she slid down the arm and back into the groping fingers and masses of shredded parchment.

The gargantuan hand (as she now could see it) grasped letter, neekerbreeker, and all and pulled it into the moonlight. Birdie felt herself being squeezed as if between two tree trunks. She squirmed desperately as one of her antennae was bent painful back. In panic and fear, foreseeing a squishy death, she did the only thing she could do. She bit down - hard!

A sharp intake of breath and a muffled curse; then she was shaken off the hand and dropped painfully to the ground. Barely breathing and aching in every joint, she slowly crawled towards the shelter of the inn's steps, as scraps of parchment like lace fluttered down around her.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:53 PM   #267
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Meanwhile, back at the Trade Inn, ..... *

By the way, Olo ... the name of that black horse is Midnight. Told me so himself. * Gandalf nodded enigmatically, then continued speaking. * Midnight will be much obliged to you for currying him, and so will I. As for riding the horse, or having him bear luggage, only at need will I prevail upon the creature for such assistance, and not for mere convenience.

* At the end of Estelarion and Menelduliniel's song, Gandalf applauded. *

* At last, Gandalf went to his room for the night, and was soon asleep. *
Old 07-24-2002, 02:26 PM   #268
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly's room faced the front of the inn, and she had opened the small mullioned window to catch the cool night breeze. It was quiet down below - customers and travellers had made their way either to beds here or to home. She heard the breeze stir the leaves of the tree near her window, a soothing, rustling sound.

Her attention was caught by the harsh sound of someone's muffled curse. She crept to the window and peered out. It was one of those Rangers - he was muttering some mannish imprecation and sucking on his hand!

He moved out of her range of sight and hearing, and she thought no more of it. Turning back toward her bed, she sighed and told herself she really should lie down now and go to sleep.

But some small sound caught her attention once again. She put her head out the window for a better view, but there was no one there. Then she heard it again - a raspy neek-breek!, coming from somewhere near the inn steps.

Throwing a quilt from the bed around her, she went quietly down the stairs and to the main door. Praying that the Ranger had moved on to another location, she opened the door just enough to slip out to the top step, and knelt down there.

'Bird!' she whispered, 'Is that you? You sound ghastly! Come up stairs, you can spend the night in my room.'

She saw one crumpled antennae wriggle out from beneath the overhang of the step. Extending her fingers, she bade her friend crawl onto her outstretched hand. Swiftly and silently they went up to the safety of her room.

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-24-2002, 02:51 PM   #269
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Too much tea and too much pie! Bethberry couldn't sleep, but kept rolling over from one side to the other. Finally, she rose and opened the shutter of her window a crack, to let in some fresh air. Perhaps that would help rid her of her indigestion.

She heard a muffled cry from somewhere below, but couldn't see anyone out the window. Shortly, she heard footsteps in the hall. Not loud, noticeable footsteps, but faint, small ones, as if someone were trying not to be heard. That worried Bethberry.

Wrapping a large shawl around her, she crept to her door, listened, and swung it open suddenly, running out and jumping on a figure in a dark blanket.

Get off, you olf, threatened Holly, as she was tackled by the larger woman. She started pommelling her attacker fiercely with her fists.

Whoa, wait, I surrender, declared Bethberry, recognizing the voice and breaking out into hearty laughter while letting the hobbit capture her with the blanket before she lay still.

Only then Bethberry could make out a faint and fainter, "Neek-breek, neek-breek." She stared up at Holly inquisitively.

(OOC: You never said you actually reached and entered your room. *grins conspiratorially*)

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 07-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #270
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly picked poor Bird off the floor where she had fallen in the scuffle. Cradling her in her hands, she stepped past the downed woman, and into Bethberry's room. She laid the neeker-breeker gently on the small table by the bed and spoke to her in a low, reassuring tone.

Bethberry entered the room, and seeing the bug on the table, looked questioningly at Holly once again.

'It's Bird.' said the hobbit. 'She's been hurt. Can you help her?'
Old 07-24-2002, 03:10 PM   #271
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Estelarion and Menelduliniel went to their room. Menelduliniel layed on her bed, and immediately let her mind wander elsewhere, in her Elvish sleep.

Estelarion sat on his bed, reading Menelduliniel's book by candlelight. He had nothing else to do, and he did not feel like resting. Menelduliniel's book was the tale of the history of Beren and Luthien. Estelarion usually did not like love stories at all: he preferred battles and fighting, but: he was not at all tired and there was nothing else to do. Oh: and he still hurt. That was the main reason: he could not get his mind off of how much his ribs hurt. He read the book for a while, then, thoroughly disgusted with it, he threw it over on top of Menelduliniel's bag, and just sat, watching her rest, until he felt well enough to lay back himself and rest until they should be needed...
Old 07-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #272
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bethberry had seen and learned many things unknown to the average denizen of Middle-Earth. She was the child of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, and that meant a life and education that no other in Arda could claim. She was a friend of Gandalf the Grey, and other, lesser-known but just as powerful figures. She was well-traveled in body, mind, and spirit. Few things were unknown to her, and even fewer things surprised her.

But a small halfling lass leaning her chin on a table and trying to comfort a bug had to be a first. Her face remained non-commital, but she was going through her stock of herbs in her mind, trying to think what she had that would calm a brain-fever.

"Birdie, come! You can trust her. Let her help you. Don't be afraid."

Suddenly the body of the neekerbreeker begain to stretch and grow, changing color and form in a most disconcerting way. The moment when woman and insect appeared in equal measure in the same body was a particularly uncomfortable sight. Birdie knew how she looked when she was morphing, and hated to do it in front of strangers.

But there was nothing to be done. She was hurt, how badly she would not know until she was in human form. In less than a moment the figure of Birdie sat cross-legged on the table where a small, black neekerbreeker had sat before. She was bruised on arms and legs, a knot was swelling on her forehead, an one eye was swollen and turning black and blue. And she had the most horrible stomach ache!

Birdie groaned and clutched at her stomach, the winced from the pain in her arms. Then she slowly looked up at the woman standing by the table with a sheepish expression.

"Hullo, Bethberry."

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #273
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hullo, indeed, Changling, said Bethberry with some awe and astonishment after being momentarily overwhelmed with the truth she had just been shown.

Come, let's get you lying down on the bed. At first, I thought Holly was to be my patient with a fevered brain and now I find it is you. I must say, you will be easier to treat in this form. Although mayhap it is lucky your injuries occured when you had a, um, thicker skin.

Your stomach pains--are they from injury or strange feeding?

Birdie signified it was what she ate.

Good! Now, let me check your bones. None broken? Arms, legs, ribs? No, just badly bruised, I see. Let me look at your head. That swelling will have to come down. Your eye is blood shot, but not bleeding. For that, be very thankful.

If I treat you as I would treat a woman normally, would you expect any difficulties, any complications?

Birdie shook her head, painfully, no.

Holly, you and I will need to stay up all night with Birdie. With a lump like that to her forehead and her bruised eye, I want to make sure she doesn't fall into a swoon. One of us will need to wake her every half an hour.

For now, can you bring some hot water from the kitchen? Some chamomile tea might help that stomach ache.

Holly nodded yes and flew downstairs to cajole the cook once again. Meanwhile, Bethberry gently wiped Birdie's bruises with tincture of arnica and horsetail. Her face she bathed in a wash of heartsease, for its pleasing scent, and feverfew, for headache, and woollygrass for swelling.

Then, before allowing Birdie to sit up to take the tea which Holly made after returning with the water, Bethberry treated her eye with two small drops of belladonna.

The tea was a welcome warm tonic to Birdie. Bethberry stepped back and took a compassionate look at her.

Holly, do you want the first shift or shall I take it? Holly immediately demanded first shift.

Stay here in my room, then. I'll take yours. Come and get me when the moon begins to fade. Birdie, some day you should meet my father.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:56 AM   #274
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had borrowed one of the hourglass timers from the cook. It was one of the bigger ones, and ran for about 20 minutes each turning.

'Alright, Bird.' she said, you've got two turnings of the glass here to sleep, then I'll wake you briefly to check on you.'

Bird settled back on the pillows and drifted off into a doze. Holly turned the lamp up on the table next to her, and opened the window as wide as it would go for the fresh, cool breeze to help keep her awake.

Curling up in the big chair, next to the table, she pulled a book toward her that Bethberry had obviously been looking at before this whole incident had started. It was a scholarly tome, The Herbalist Compaendium, and it appeared much read by her as the pages fell open easily and there were numerous pencilling ins of detailed notes on specific cases. Unfortunately after several paragraphs, her head nodding, Holly realized this was not the type of reading to keep her awake.

She got up and stretched, then looked about the room for some scrap papers and a pen.

She stood and walked about the room, doing quick sketches of the sleeping Bird. Every forty minutes, for 4 hours she woke her friend, assessed her level of orientation, then helped her assume a new position on the bed. Each position had an artfully draped quilt covering the sleeping form, and each each new posing was skillfully rendered onto a piece of the paper.

When Bethberry came to the room for her shift, she found twelve drawings pinned on her walls, and a yawning hobbit with inkstained fingers just turning her friend over for the last time.

Holly stumbled back to her room,fell on her bed, and dropped off to sleep in an instant.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:56 AM   #275
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The belladonna drops in Birdie's eye led to strange dreams. Bird saw a great scarab beetle which somehow she knew was Gandalf. He was crawling over ancient parchment scrolls, many crumbling to dust and lace. "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards," he addressed her mildly, "for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Then a huge, glowing butterfly was hovering over her, and with a stern, angry face it said "Where is it?" before swooping down on her. Suddenly the butterfly turned into a specter of an Elven wraith, bloodied by many sword strokes, arms outstretched, with maddened eyes.

Birdie woke with a start just as Holly, by the bedside, turned the hourglass over once again.

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-25-2002, 11:28 AM   #276
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Day had dawned bright and promising. Sunlight peeked through the crack in the curtains of Olo's room, finding him up, washed, and dressed already. He hummed a little to himself as he drew on his vest and went down for breakfast.

Once in the common room, he looked about for Holly, who had said she would see him at breakfast. His search was short-lived - the room was sparsely populated and there was no sign of her.

Determined to find her, he went into the kitchen to ask the cook if she'd seen Holly. 'No, I can't say as I have this morning. It's passing strange, though. Late last night she rushed down here and woke me up. She was rather flustered, saying something about a friend being hurt and needing to borrow a timer and a cup of hot water. Last I heard was her running back up the stairs.'

Olo blanched at this revelation. Someone was hurt? Holly must have been up all night tending her friend. He recovered his good hobbit sense quickly, and asked the cook for a small plate of bread, spread thick with honey, some fruit slices, and two strong cups of sweetspice tea.

'Thank you, Goodmistress!' he said as he maneuvered his way out the kitchen door, tray in hand.

'Olo!' cried the cook, 'Remind her to bring back the timer, if you please!' Directing this request to his quickly retreating back, she laughed out loud. 'My goodness!' she said to herself. 'I haven't seen one of the Gardener lads so worked up since his older brother, Odo courted Ms. Eglantine.' She laughed again, shaking her head, and thought 'Well, I'll be!'

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #277
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry's sleepy eyes took in Holly's sketches and she was immediately sleepy no more. The hobbit had great skill in chiaroscuro and it was a delight to feast the eyes on the drawings. Bethberry found herself hoping she could keep at least one of the them herself, as a reminder of how beauty can arise out of even the most unfortunate events.

Looking at Birdie, however, was worrisome. Under her eyelids, her eyes darted around rapidly and wildly. Bethberry became worried that two drops of belladonna had been too much for the Changling and were causing her nightmares.

She took some water from the kettle she had just brought from the kitchen and made a new wash for Birdie's forehead and eye, this time with clary, sometimes called 'clear eye', and more wollygrass. The movement woke Birdie, but without a start, and she then lay back calmly while Bethberry applied a poultice of beardtongue to the swellings.

Bethberry pulled a chair up beside the bed and took Birdie's hand in hers. It was firm and warm but not sweating. That was good. It looked for all the world just like Bethberry's hand, or Naaramare' hand. There was no sign of a hard carapace or any spicules from the insect body. Bethberry sat staring in awe at this hand with such amazing potential, the most astounding form of life she had ever seen. Life in all its glorious and magnificent wonder.

Why was it, Bethberry asked aloud to no one in particular, that when, with such splendor in the animate world, there was increasingly such great stress and duress upon it?

Bethberry's voice disturbed Birdie, who moaned slightly, and Bethberry immediately regreted musing aloud. They would have to come up with some explanation of Birdie's injuries for the elves and Gandalf. She would leave that to the two friends. Bethberry then began singing quietly the song she had heard last night from Meneldi and Estalarion. This time, her voice did not disturb the Changling.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:15 PM   #278
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Tolkien

Naaramare's sleep had been restless and filled with fevered glimpses of the now-remembered elf. The memory-fragment she had been so pleased at first to discover was now becoming it's own problem, flashing constantly before her eyes.

Eventually, she gave up on sleep and rose, seeking someone's companionship, or simply distraction. Wandering at random, she paused, on impluse glancing into a room and catching a glimpse of a familiar face.

"Bethberry?" she said tentatively. "Am I disturbing? . . ." Seeing Bird's prone figure, her eyes widened. "Is something wrong?"

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 07-25-2002, 12:31 PM   #279
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She heard the insistent knocking on her door.

'By the One! Who could be waking her in the middle of the night! It must be about Bird. She must have taken a turn for the worse.'

She sat up in bed quickly and tried to rub the sleep from her eyes. Her bleary sight took in the fact the the bright sun was now pouring in her open window. The sound of a pony, whinnying, caught her attention.

She yawned mightily and said, 'Come in!', thinking it was Bethberry come to give her news of Bird.

It was the smiling face of Olo that met her eyes. 'You didn't come down for breakfast. So, I've brought some to you!. He placed the tray on the table by her bed,picked up a cup of the tea and handed it to her. Taking the second cup, he sat in the chair by the window and watched her savor the spicy aroma of the brew.

'Oh! I needed that!' she said, swallowing a large gulp of tea. 'You're a lifesaver, Olo!'
She took a bite of the fresh bread with honey and offered him the other slice.'But tell me, are the others already gathered downstairs? I think Gandalf had some plans for a meeting today and I really would like to go with them.'

'I saw none of your companions when I first went downstairs.' replied Olo, watching her efficiently deal with the bread and then move on to the fruit.

'Good! I still have time to get dressed and down there, then.' She licked the last drops of honey off her fingers and popped the last apple slice into her mouth. Looking down at the now empty plate, she blushed. 'I'm sorry! I've made a pig of myself, it seems. Here I've gone and eaten all of it and offered you hardly any!'

He laughed! 'Must have been a busy night for you to be so hungry, eh?' He took a small sip of tea. 'I heard something from the cook about hot water and an egg timer?!'

She told him that Bird had been hurt, editing out the skin-changing part, and that Bethberry and she had taken shifts to watch over her. 'I really must go and check on her again, and on Bethberry.'

Holly thanked him profusely once again for the food and drink, then shooed him from the room so that she could wash up and get dressed herself.

Cups and plate in hand, he exited, having first extracted a promise from her to meet with him later.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:31 PM   #280
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry turned to the melodious voice of Naaramare.

No disturbance, Naaramare. None at all. *smiles* Birdie had a ... fall, and has a few bruises to her face and arms. I'm watching to see she doesn't slip into a deep sleep. What do you think of the drawings Holly has done while she watched?