Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #241
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Funfrim's beard was dyed black from the soot and ash, and his face bore several ugly blissters from the fire. Nevertheless he fought on, combating the flames that threatened to claim the whole inn. A pitty, for he had rather liked the place.
Dwarfs were able to stand fire better than any of the free races, so Fungrim was able to work at the head of one of the water lines, at times making perilous trips into the blazing building to save some of the patrons not quick enough to get out by their own accord.

With the help of the locals they might be able to save most of the inn from the flames, but it would be a fair bit of damage caused to the building nonetheless.

Scooping the bucket full of sand he made for the blaze again.
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-14-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #242
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hawthorne Brandybuck:

Hawthorne grimaced and flinched as Buttercup's grip inexcorably tightened. Buttercup wrenched at Hawthorne's arm and tugged her forward until the two hobbits stood together directly in front of the Inn. It was a sorry sight. A rush of grey smoke and fumes billowed out the open doorway and windows; part of the roof had been stripped away to prevent the fire from spreading.

"Look what you've done! You.....you.....Brandybuck!" Buttercup bellowed. The serving girl spit out her words one at a time to emphasize the enormity of Hawthorne's crime and then looked away as she fought back tears. The Inn was like a home for both her and Ruby.

Hawthorne felt her stomach lurch as she spied the look on Buttercup's face and surveyed the wreckage all around. Broken glass lay strewn all over the front courtyard; flowers and bushes trampled into the ground. She'd already learned that inside the Inn the wall separating the kitchen from the Common Room had vanished in a cloud of ash and dust. Worst of all were the injured guests, all lying about on mats, or still being rescued from the Dragon.

Hawthorne swallowed back her own tears and looked up in Buttercup's eyes, "You're right. It's my fault. I shouldn't have pretended to know everything about cooking. And I shouldn't have tried to prepare a meal without anyone's help."

Hawthorne sadly continued, "Only, what can I do now to make it right? I only wanted you two to like me. I spent all evening working the hardest I could. And yet you both treated me like a wraith from the Barrowdowns. But that still doesn't make what I did right....."

"Do you think the Inn will be saved?" she whispered over to Buttercup who shrugged her shoulders and head. Hawthorne stared down at the ground.

At that instant, the wind picked up. Great gusts hammered against the wooden frame of the Dragon threatening to spread the flames still further. Those same great gusts skittered across the skies, chasing fat grey clouds in the direction of the West Farthing. All about, the world went dark, with the sun totally hidden from view. Hawthorne opened one eye and peeped upward, afraid to be too optomistic.

Then she felt it. A single drop, then two. A few more and a light drizzle had started. Buttercup stared up at the heavens as the dark clouds whirled and swirled from one end of Bywater to the other. Soon a steady rain was falling.

All about her folk lifted up their heads and marvelled as the blessed rain hit the earth. If the fire brigade could put out the blaze inside the Common Room, the steady rain would do the trick outside. This was no time to slack off on their efforts. The Inn could still be saved. Both hobbits raced over to the line of firefighters and picked up pails, joining a large number of folk who surged forward again to put a stop to the fire once and for all.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #243
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling

Snaveling moved through the crowd and tried to look as though he had come to help combat the fire. At first he was delighted by the chaos caused by his fires, but then an accursed rain began to fall and as it did, all his lovely flames began to go up into smoke and ruin. He spat with disgust into a puddle at his feet and joined the crowd of people rushing to combat the fire that was consuming the Inn.

In the press of bodies, Snaveling kept one eye open for an unattended purse or bag that might be needing a new owner, and another eye for the young Man who he was sure had seen him amongst the trees. Fierce young Men with swords and something to prove were something that he had seen too much of in the past: always they sought to prove their mettle by persecuting and shunning him. That is why he took such delight in depriving them of both their possessions and their showy pride.

Even more worrisome to him was the tall Woman whom he had seen running into the Inn, and who had been the first to organize a defense against his fires. Now that he could see her at closer quarters he was able to recognize in her the haughty bearing and distant contempt of a Dunedain Ranger. It was precisely people like her who had made life in the South unbearable to him after that accursed King had retaken the throne of Gondor. She was clearly suspicious of his fires and each time her eyes fell upon him he could feel them boring through his tattered cloak. He hated the eyes of such folk and would have tried to put them out, had the Woman been conveniently asleep and unready.

In all his long years of wandering the lonely wastes between this land of Shire and his home south and west of the White Mountains, Snaveling had learned that it was wisest in circumstances such as these to keep ones enemies as friends. And he knew with every bolt of his subtle cunning that the young Man, and this tall Ranger Woman were very much his enemies. He moved into the bucket line and began to lend them a fervent hand. He called to those further back in the line to bring the water more quickly, and he urged those at its front to be more bold in their attack.

As soon as he could manage it, he got close to the Ranger Woman in order to speak with her. “I think that you share my opinion of the flames that overtook the trees,” he began. “If they were begun by chance, then I am King Under the Mountain.” He dropped his voice low and stepped closer to her. “I saw someone running through the trees just before those new fires started.” The Woman looked at him with caution and asked whom he thought he had seen. Snaveling gathered all of his guile and skill as a liar, pointed at the Young Man and said, “I think it was him.”

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 02-11-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:48 PM   #244
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Important Out of Character Note:

There is now a steady rain falling. Your posts should reflect that fact.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Mod (Child of the 7th Age)
Old 02-11-2004, 04:03 PM   #245
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
From inside, Tobias could tell that the deadly blaze was definitely restricted. He was able to avoid it easily, despite coming dangerously close to some cordoned off fires that clung persistently to the tables and chairs. After years of constant pipe-weed imbibing, Toby Hornblower was not averse to having his lungs slowly filling up with smoke, even though it was bothersome. He made his way conservatively through the wreck and began scanning the area for any unnoticed valuables he could nab for himself.

After less than a few minutes, he’d adeptly collected what could be collected and flitted, with surprising quickness for a hobbit of his age, out of the wreckage. He wasn’t sure if he was spotted going in or out, but, just to be on the safe side, he quickly donned the façade of being one of the traumatized inn-goers. He quickly scurried towards the road, noticing as drops of rain began to fall on and around him. At least it would assist the putting out of the fire somewhat, although it was now mostly out.

Toby sat down briskly on the now rain-soaked grass and pulled his cloak tight around him, concealing some large and prominent bulges in his coat pockets were he’d stuffed silverware and utensils of sorts. No one would notice the loss of these things in the fire’s dramatic aftermath, and he could use them for his own purposes when he got back to Longbottom. He took out a few of the charred items, admired them with a keen and shrewd buyer’s eye, and astutely stuffed them back into the innards of his clothing, glancing around nervously as the rain’s strength increased.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 02-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #246
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Valthalion walked quickly toward the area where the fire had started on the outside. "Thank the Valar for this rain, it will certainly make for a quicker end to this horrible story." Still, there was the question of arson rather than a natural occurence to answer. A fire of such occurence, a ring around those combatting the fire, was no coincidence. Valthalion, sword in hand, began checking the trees for any sign of a guilty party.

Suddenly, he heard a shout from behind him. Walking quickly toward Valthalion was a Tall Woman, and a man who he had seen sneaking around the area earlier. "Perhaps this man is the guilty party", he thought.

The Tall woman spoke first-"You are accused of starting a fire in these bushes, and were spotted sneaking around this area by several Witnesses-what say you?!" Valthalion was shocked and replied, "Who has made such comments, saying such things about a young man who has risked life and limb to save this Inn? Was it you, Darktongue, whose sneaking has not gone unnoticed in itself?!"

The man answered, "Indeed it was I, who spotted you stalking about for no good reason. You are obviously a man who wishes to be noticed. Well, this you have gotten. Accept Guilt, or accept a painful evening."

This indeed angered Valthalion, who gripped his sword tightly, and, stepping toward the man, said "You dare impune the honor of a honorable man of the North?! I believe it was you who started this fire, resulting in torment and injury, and if I am not believed, then I will indeed have to get a confession out of you myself."
Old 02-11-2004, 04:25 PM   #247
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
“Hmph, it would be have to be one of those foreigners.” growled Toby, pretending to care which he very obviously didn’t. He walked towards what crowd there was and near the woman he’d seen earlier and the two men of the south. He snorted indignantly and visibly towards them, with a look of disgust on his rodent-like face. His eyes focused angrily on the accused man, whose name apparently was Valthalion or Vilthilion or some such thing which he couldn't recall. The man actually seemed very belligerent at the moment, his hand grasping at the hilt of a blade which hung at his side.

“You see?” He said to no one in particular, “As long as these people can just come and go on our property as they please, none of us are safe. They don’t just soil our lands with their foulness, oh no, they set fires, they burn our homes.” He snorted more loudly, the gruff and firm volume of his gutteral voice rising.
Toby suddenly felt very confident, even though he had no reason. He was the thief and the liar, and he knew it, but he wasn’t about to tell anyone that, considering how dire the consequences might be.

“They lie and cheat and burn and this isn’t even their land to do so. I say, make them burn their own lands, cheat their own brethren, and lie as much as they wish somewhere far from the comfort of the four farthings." He said even more firmly than before, waving his arms about to get more attention as he spoke.
He orated with a surprisingly well-acted rage. He didn’t know who’d started the fire in truth. For all he knew, it was some hobbit. He didn’t plan on being exposed as a hypocrite, but this accusation gave him the perfect opportunity to spread his own views to the tired crowd gathered around on Bywater Road.

Last edited by Kransha; 02-11-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #248
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril Galadel

Galadel heard the angry villager rant and rave about how the “outsiders” were the ones who had caused the terrible fire.

Standing up from where she had been treating a burn victim, the elf responded to the hobbit in a firm, clear voice, “But, sir, how do you know for certain that it was one of us travelers who caused this fire? Maybe it was one of the people of the village, or even one of the workers at the inn. Yet, sir, this discussion is not as important at the moment, I believe, as the fact that there are injured people here to treat, and an inn to fix up. So, why don’t we all work together, rather than pointing fingers, which will only cause more problems for us all?”

With that Galadel knelt back down to her patient and went on with her work of healing the wounded.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #249
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
In a small, lonely corner of the common room, a young girl slept a peaceful sleep. She had not felt so rested since...well, since she could remember. She awoke before dawn, when its first tentative touches of light barely illuminated the dark horizon. None had noticed her stolen stay at the Inn that night, through luck or coincidence she didn't know, and she didn't care either. The floor was cold, but it was warm by comparison of the outside world, had she had to spend the night on a forest floor and she was grateful for that.

After taking a good look at her surroundings, she decided that food was in order. There didn't seem to be anyone about, so she was relatively safe. At least until the servants came to prepare breakfast, which would be shortly she knew. With a light, silent step, the girl made her way to the door towards the kitchen. Carefully, quietly, she eased it open and it swung with only a small creak before she eased it back into place. With a smile on her face and her large brown eyes bright with excitement, she went on a search for breakfast.

She found a small barrel of apples, and helped herself to one. It was sweet and delicious, and she giggled softly as the juice tickled its way down her chin. She ate a second one, and after licking her fingers, dirty though they were, she went in search for more. But her exploring was brought to a halt.

She heard voices approaching and footsteps to accompany them. In a panic, she looked around quickly for a hiding place and saw a tall closet with the door slightly ajar. She ran to it quickly and squeezed her small, thin body between jars of preserves and other foodstuffs. It wasn't long before the servants got busy in the kitchen, and the young girl could feel heart pounding the whole time. Yet, they never went to the closet.

For a short time, it was empty, and the girl was about to try and escape when she heard the movements of someone in the kitchen. She couldn't see them, but they were somewhere nearby and she wouldn't take the chance of being caught. Suddenly, whoever was in the kitchen with her yelled, "Fire! Fire in the kitchen!" and dashed out.

The girl gasped suddenly. A fire? Here? She had to get out, and quick. She threw herself out of her rolled up position amongst the jars and heaved her body at the door, prepared to land feet first and running on the floor. With a loud thud and a painful impact, her body slammed against the door. It was jammed.

Confused the girl peered closely at the small crack between the doors and saw a shadow of a latch. She was locked in. Somehow when she had swung the door closed, it had locked, and she was trapped!

Desperate and in a panic, she raised her small hands to pound on the door for help, but stopped. She heard others in a panic outside the kitchen. If they rescued her, they would know the truth about her! Caught in her fear and the indecision of a child that she had no control over, she missed her chance for help. She could smell smoke now, and it was getting stronger. Before long, she couldn't breathe very well. Now more afraid of dying than of being caught, she pounded with all her might on the doors and yelled, "Help! Help! Please, someone help me!"

As she coughed, she began to shake in terror and tears streamed down her face. She didn't want to die! She could feel the heat of the fire as it began its consumption of the fire, but she seemed to be the farthest away from it she could be in the kitchen, but it gave her no reassurance. She pounded and screamed but none seemed to hear her, and her voice became hoarse and she could barely cough, let alone speak.

The smoke was everywhere now, and she could hear the crackle of flames closeby. Refusing to give up, she slammed her hands again and again on the doors until they were numb and red, with the promise of bruises, if she lived long enough. Her vision swam and her head seemed far too light as she moaned, "Please, oh please, help me!"
Old 02-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #250
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
"Come, little one," said her father, beaming down at her. Asphodel, who had been lying all day in her basket, found herself lifted way up over her father's head. From that tremendous hight, she could see the long rows of Old Toby swaying in the breeze, the field stretching, as it seemed, all the way to the end of the sky. The setting sun flooded the pastures of leaves with its warm rays, transforming it into a beautiful golden sea.

Asphodel laughed, and kicked her tiny legs and spread out her cubby arms in excitement. She felt like she was flying, as her father moved her up and down above him.

"Time to bring her in, dear." From behind her, Asphodel heard her mother's voice calling them from the door of their house. She whined, as the magnificent view disappeared behind her father's massive head, and she felt the jerk of his step as he carried her back into the house. She was handed over to her mother, and promptly taken to the tub, where her mother placed her in cold water, and began to pour more over her head. Drop, by drop, by drop, by drop...

Asphodel opened her eyes slowly. They felt heavy with exhaustion. Drops of water were now coming down faster, and striking her skin and clothes. Slowly, very slowly, Asphodel's memories started to come back to her. The strange smoke; the Inn guests; the green blanket; the fire...

THE FIRE! Asphodel jerked her head up. But she was no longer in the Story Room. She was lying down on the ground, on top of her aunt's green quilt, several yard away from the Inn. Though the rain now fell in turrets, and the gray sky and thick gray smoke made it hard to see, Asphodel thought she could make out shadowy figures, moving back and forth. Hobbits putting out the last of the Inn fire with buckets of water.

She suddenly grew dizzy, and she let her head fall back, which made a squashing sound on the now soaked blanket. Her whole body ached from head to foot, and her left hand throbbed unceasingly. Whenever she took a breath, there was a sharp pain in her lungs.

How had she gotten out? She couldn’t remember having escaped the fiery cavern. Had someone heard her desperate calls for help? Whatever was the case, she was lucky to be alive.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:19 AM   #251
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Fungrim looked at the sky and gave one of his rare smiles. It looked like the inn would be saved, after all. Most of the blaze outside had been extinquished by the rain and the bucket briggade. The inside, however, was still a burning inferno and black smoke gouted from cracks in the roof. Something would have to be done quickly.

He grabbed a second bucket from a hobbit too tired to care about the inn's fate. He took of his green cloak and soaked it with the water. He wrapped it around his head and over his mouth and nose to cut out the smoke. He scooped his other bucket full of sand and dove into the blazing inn.

It was like some peculiar dream that reflected the real world. Stools, tables, armchairs, the floor and the walls. All allight in fiery, flickering flowers that consumed the wood with a matchless hunger. They needed more people here.
Suddenly he heard the screams. A small, frightened girl's voice drifted from the kitchen, calling for help. He hurried to the thick door and found it latched from the outside, trapping the child in near to the source of the blaze.
"Don't worry, Im going to get you out of there!" He called through the door. On the otherside the child sounded like she was sobbing.

The dwarf tossed the contests of the two buckets at the door and managed to extinguish most of the fire consuming it. Most of it. The door was still burning and hot, but so thick it was that it would take some more minutes for it to burn down on its own accord. Making his decision in an instant, Fungrim drew his axe. The first blow sent chips of blackened wood and sparks flying. The second smashed the door from its hinges, allowing him to forge his way in using his shoulder.

The child lay on the floor, nearly unconcious from the heat and smoke. There was no time to waste. Quickly he grabbed her and wrapped his dripping cloak around her face. She would need it more than him.
Now, all he had to do was to get out.
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 02-12-2004, 07:44 AM   #252
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree felt something cold and wet hit her face. "It's raining Grimm." She looked up to see that something was wrong with Hama's back. "I will be fine. There is no reason for me to see anyone about my spells. It will go away sometime but until then I need to be careful." The rain was coming down. This sheds some new hope on the situation.There is a renewed sense of faith that the fire will soon go out. Perhaps no one else will have to suffer the same fate as Hama.

Cree tried to move herself. But her side was hurting again. Though she felt the pain she tried her best to keep a smile. She wasn't going to let Grimm see that she was hurting. Cree began to set up. She didn't know what to think of the situation any more. Will everything be fine once the fire is out?

Avalon looked at Cree. She knew that Cree was still in pain. Cree you're still in pain. You shouldn't be alive after that spell. But you did live. Cree looked up at Avalon. "So it seems that you have something to say as well. Well go ahead old friend. What do you have to say?" The crow just twisted its head to the side. Avalon didn't know if Cree understood her.
"My father rock, do you forget the kingdom of the fire?
The aeons grind you into bread.
Into the soil that feeds the living and transforms the dead."

Cree looked up to the direction where she heard some one talking. She knew where she had heard it before. "Ravon." Cree had always listened when someone had something to say about earth and fire. But she never thought anything of it untill now. "My father rock, do you forget the kingdom of the fire? The aeons grind you into bread. Into the soil that feeds the living and transforms the dead. You never stop do you Ravon."
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #253
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Snaveling

The situation was beginning to get a bit out of control, but Snaveling had been in worse circumstances and was not really worried by the young Man’s accusations. Nor was he terribly frightened by the youth’s ready grip with his sword. Snaveling disliked the people of Gondor, feared the Elves and was contemptuous of the Halflings, but he knew that the people about him would never allow one Man to slay another, particularly when there was a fire to be fought. The rain had all but put out the fires that Snaveling had set amongst the trees, but at the Inn the innermost rooms were still ablaze. He watched with dismay as some of the more hardy folk – led by a very determined Dwarf – moved into the building to reclaim it from the fire. Snaveling gave up all hope of being able to pilfer anything more (but what have I got in my pocket?).

Snaveling had been stunned by the immediate action of the Ranger Woman in accusing the young Man – he had expected that she would require more convincing, and he was beginning to think that her stern expression masked more thought than met the eye. Dangerous folk these Dunedan he reminded himself. Not to be trusted. He was delighted when the stupid Halfling took up the cry against the young Man, but he was suspicious of this fat little creature – was not he one of the people Snaveling had seen entering the Inn without any water or sand with which to combat the blaze? He had spent his life thieving and could easily read the tale told by those odd shapes beneath the Halfling’s clothes…

An Elf maiden who was tending to the injured stood up and spoke to them roughly, ordering them back to the defense of the Inn. Snaveling stood his ground before the young Man and said, “The Lady is right. Now is not the time to listen to the complaints of a boy, caught playing at a game too dangerous for him.” The youth grew even angrier at these words and his eyes blazed as his hand tightened on the hilt of his weapon. Snaveling saw this and was inwardly delighted. Outwardly, however, he pretended shock and dismay. “An ‘honourable man’, he says. ‘Honourable’ indeed! And yet he threatens to draw his blade on a man twice his age, dressed in little more than rags and with only a hunting knife to defend his poor and miserable life.” Snaveling appealed to the Ranger Woman and the Halfling. “Is this fair? Is this justice? Let us forget this child for now, and save those who can be saved before the Inn is destroyed utterly.”

He turned his back upon the youth and walked toward the Inn.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #254
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The rain poured on the blaze, aiding th eitred workers. Roa stopped and lifted her over heated face to the sky, letting the cool drops drench her. Her arm began to sting again as the water hit it. A little ways away, a commotion had started. Apparently a young man, perhaps only a year or two younger than Roa, had accused another of starting the fire in the bushes. Arson would explain how the fire got here, but how could he know who started it? Roa left her position and walked over. She recognized one of the women as her kin, though she could not place the name. As she listened to the boy and whatched the older man, Roa became convinced of the the bearded one's guilt. Still, the others were right- this was not the time nor the place to handle this.

"Perhaps," she spoke up, "we should have them both detianed by the sheriff untill a more suitable time. We can figure this out later. Or better yet, have them put to work under the eyes of a few guards." She didn't know if nay would listen to her, but she hoped that her kinwoman would trust her words. This was not a time for rash actions, Even though the rain was helping, therre was still a fire. And after the fire, they would need to begin repairs. All of this was better not dealt with now. Roa turned to the young man. "You must wait, young master, till this be settled fairly. We cannot have people taking such extreme measures of their own judgement. That would create chaos." She used the same voice when calming a wild horse. Roa hoped he could see that she believed his words and convictions. She didknow what else to do.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 02-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #255
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman

Aman stood staring at the fire, her eyes bleak, her hands holding her upper arms to wrap tightly around her chest, pinioning the cloak shut. She had been stopped from going in by the man, Grimm, and still he hovered behind her. 'No use going back in'...what does he mean, 'no use'? she raged inwardly, although she knew the Rohirrim soldier spoke sense. But she was barely aware of many around her, the general misery and the thought that this was her home going up in flames consuming her. And she was being stopped from going back in!

Behind her, Grimm turned to speak to another. And paused in her thoughts and slowly moved her eyes around, away from the flames, towards Grimm. His attention was taken up! Surreptitiously, the Innkeeper sidled away, sneaking sidewards until she was away...and a flash of conversation caught her ears.

"...Hope someone will have the sense to get the wine and barrels out..."

The familiarity of the voice barely struck Aman as her eyes suddenly widened. Of course! The drink; although she had grabbed the till, there was more wealth in the huge range of drinks available, mainly in the cellar - and it was far more dangerous than a metal box of coins. The flames may be dying, but the alcohol would cause it to go up like a shot if it was ignited, and there was a whole cellar of it!

Barely noticing the drops of rain, Aman darted straight past with a muffled cry, diving in through the side door and into the Common Room...before skidding to a halt and making herself turn."I need help! Someone who isn't tending to the wounded or...you, sir!" she pointed at a young, sallow looking man, who immediately whirled around with an expression of guilt which the Innkeeper, at the time, barely registered, then caught the eye of the woman beside him, attired like a ranger, the strangeness of which Aman didn't even have time to contemplate. "And you, please - it may seem foolish, but I must get the drink out. The wine, the ales, ciders, juices...oh, it will go up like a shot if even these small flames reach it!"

The woman nodded immediately. "My name is Roa, at your service."

Aman nodded gratefully before ducking back into the Common Room, which was steadily getting soggier as the bucket chain did it's work. Aman made a mental note to do something about all these helpers afterwards - what she wasn't sure, her thoughts jumbled as they were, but it would certainly be something. The ranger followed her as she darted through the room towards the cellar steps, and neither of them noticed the shifty man's eyes light up wickedly as he followed...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #256
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Grimm of the Riddermark

Grimms hair was now wet and muddy. He didn't care that much but he didn't care. Avalon seemed to be trying to say something to Cree. What's going on?, he tought, but the crow just looked at Cree. Grimm rose up and helped Cree up as well. He looked at the Inn that seemed lost. It was terrible to see. Grimm thought that Inn always had been so beautiful and nice. He began to wonder what caused the fire. He looked around for Aman but couldn't see her. "Excuse me, Lady Cree, but I must find miss Aman. I'll be back." he said to Cree and began to look for Aman. "She's in the Common Room, or should I say 'former' Common Room..." a dwarf with a mean grin said to Grimm as he asked him. Grimm gave the dwarf a angry look and said "Watch your tounge, master dwarf, it might get cut off!" The dwarf backed off and shut his mouth instantly. Grimm turned away from the dwarf and began to run to the side door at the Inn that led straight into the Common Room. So she went in there anyway... I told here that it would foolish! As he entered Aman was just about to send two people to get the wine, ale, cider and juice out of the Inn so the fie wouldn't spread to it. Then the Inn would be lost for sure.

"Ah, there you are, miss Aman! I told you it would be foolish to go back in here, but you do what you believe are right, and I shouldn't blame you for that." he said and smiled as he said the last words. He coughed and looked around in the Common Room. 'Former Common Room'!? Stupid dwarves... He had actually never liked dwarves very much, and now he really thought he had a reason for disliking them. He drew a deep sigh, yet it was hard because of the smoke that had filled the Common Room. "Have all the children been brought to safety?" he asked Aman and his face changed to a more serious expression. "I've heard that it should be a Sheriff in this region that should be coming to aid at moments like this..?" he said, "But let's take that outside. You must get out now, miss Aman, the smoke is dangerous for your health." He dragged Aman out as she didn't want to leave the Inn. Grimm really felt terrible about it and tried to encourage Aman in all possible ways to keep her spirit up that the Inn still could be saved. It was piles of ashes everywhere outside and he could here a child cry somewhere, though he couldn't see it.

"Does anyone know what caused the fire?" he asked Aman when they got a litte bit away from the Inn. He could see the bucket chain working hard. The fire didn't look to be under control yet, but as it began to rain the hope came back to many that the Inn yet could be saved. His head felt like it weighd tons. He was dizzy of all the smoke he had breathed.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #257
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa looked from the woman to the pair of men. They could wait. She looked to her kinswoman, and motioned for her to keep a watch on the boy. The Ranger woman nodded. She the looked at the Innkeeper and said, "My name is Roa, at your service." Roa turned to the man. "Well, let's get going. If you have never seen what happens when fire hits ale, you do not want to. Now move." Roa took one last look around, then took off at a run towards the Inn dragging the man behind her. If he had set the fires, she would need to keep a close eye on him. Again, she wished she had slept a littler longer instead of walking all night. But there was nothing for it, and she was here now. The sting in her arm was worsening.

She stopped for a moment, and pulled out her rag again. This time she tied it tightly around her mouth. She also wrapped her cape around her head. The man gave her an odd look. "Smoke allergy," she explained. He said nothing so she kept at it. Her hair was red enough as it was, she didn't need it catching fire. Thank you Ulmo for sending the rain. Wincing as she reached for the man again, Roa took off towards the building. She prayed to Eru that her lungs could hold out long enough. Roa took a deep breath of fresh air before plunging in to the building.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #258
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die...is all she could think. The fire had miraculously avoided her prison up until now. Now its flames licked greedily at the closet, as if preparing for the feast of human flesh it would soon have. Desperate and sure of her own demise, the young child pounded still on the doors though she had no hope.

Suddenly, beyond her belief, she heard the heavy thud of boots as they entered the kitchen and she heard a deep, gruff voice say,
Quote:
"Don't worry, Im going to get you out of there!"
. As he spoke, he poured a bucket of water and then a bucket of sand on the closet and the young girl put her small hands in front of her face. Not that it mattered, her eyes stung bitterly in the smoke as did her nose.

With only a weak grip on consciousness still, she hunkered down low. She twitched and let out a frightened cry when the dwarf let loose his axe on the storage closet. Small shafts of light broke through and cast a red light on her short blonde hair and dirty face. A second swing of Fungrim's axe broke the door and she cringed as a few sparks landed on her skin, doing no real harm.

Before she could summon the strength from what little remained to look at her rescuer, Fungrim wrapped his water-soaked cloak around her and snatched her up with ease. He looked around for a way out. Though she had been saved from death, the Inn was still a very dangerous place to be. Her eyelids fell heavily down, now that she could give in safely to the sleep her body wanted so desperately to fall into from the smoke. "Thank you..." she whispered just loud enough for Fungrim to hear before the darkness overtook her and body fell limp in his arms.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #259
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Toby turned to see the fair elf from before speaking, followed by the accuser, and finally another woman commenting in the negative. He was obviously unprepared for anyone disagreeing with him, but, after all, this was his first attempt at public speaking. He glared at the elf out of the corner of his narrowed eyes as she knelt to continue her charitable work. Thankfully, he still had a ready retort.

“Rebuilding and reconstructing may make things better for now, but it will not solve this problem. It just shows those who would commit such heinous acts that they do not have to fear the consequences if their criminal activities. This ‘problem’ should be rooted out and stamped into the ground before it continues.”
He carefully avoided responding to the comment about him not knowing who the real culprit was, primarily because he didn’t. He had got himself into this oration, so he would have to be cunning about winning whatever debate aroused about the opinions he'd clearly stated.

He turned back to the crowd, seemingly awaiting and agreeable response. He’d already figured out that this man who stood before him had not perpetrated the arson. Being someone who lied all the time, Tobias Hornblower could tell when people where lying or not, to a certain extent. Though he didn’t like or respect any outsiders, he surmised that this particular man was as true as his word.

“We can rebuild, but we must take some action as well. Suggestions have been bandied about and I suggest we adhere to them swiftly. We should prove that we will not be trifled with by ruffians, and thieves!”
That was probably the worst time for a large silver fork to fall out of his vest pocket, which was what happened at that very instant. Tobias immediately took notice, but tried to ignore it. His oration halted as suddenly as it had started, his sharp eyes darting nervously every few seconds to look at the offending eating utensil that lay at his feet like a very large and disgusting insect.

Last edited by Kransha; 02-12-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #260
WarBringer
Wight

What a strange turn of events i've gotten caught up in... thought Valthalion as he was lead away by the Ranger. Not too long ago, he had been valiantly leading the bucket brigade, a friend and leader of all despite his age. Now, he was accused of arson by the very man he himself thought was guilty. He pondered these circumstances as the Ranger lead him on. Finally, she spoke-"Valthalion, I do not truly believe it was you who started the fire. I can tell you are of a fair kindred from your face and from your proclaiming yourself as one from the North. Not all men are to be counted on, however, and I wanted to be sure of your merit before I let you go. The man of the south is perilous. Perhaps you should stay away from him. I bid you farewell and good fortune, but I implore you to continue to help us here."
Valthalion was grateful, and said "Thank You, fair lady. You are truly a person of honor. I will lend all my strength to this cause."
With that, the Ranger bowed and set off in the direction of the blaze.

Valthalion decided that he must take action. The fire was still burning in the middle of the Inn. There was need of manpower there. Perhaps he was needed. Valthalion picked up his gear and headed for the Inn.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #261
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Snaveling

Snaveling could not believe his luck. His only thought when he had joined those fighting the fires had been to see if there were any purses that he could take as his own. But the commanding Woman's orders to himself and Roa put all these thoughts far from his mind. The cellar! His mind reeled at the possibilities. . .

Roa dragged him toward the door of the Inn. Snaveling suspected that she did not relish his company, but that she was keeping him close in order to keep an eye on him, as her kinswoman was doing with the youth Snaveling had implicated in the fires. Snaveling did not mind this in the least, as it put distance between himself and the quick-handed young Man and gave him a chance to practice some mischief against this tall Woman. But beyond and above all these considerations was the thought of getting back into the Inn and having a second chance at the valuables it contained.

Roa paused at the door of the Inn to fasten a rag across her face. She said something about "allergies" but Snaveling was not listening -- his mind was racing, looking for a way to do some good for himself. She led the way into the blaze and through the Common Room. They soon found themselves in the cellar. The heat down here was intense but not intolerable, and the smoke was not as bad as Snaveling had feared. He noted with delight that the Woman was suffering from the conditions far more than he. Perhaps these Dunadan are not as doughty as they are reported.

They struggled with a large cask of wine and pulled it towards the cellar stairs. Snaveling let it drop to the floor. "I cannot bear such a load," he cried. "We need more help. Let me go back for that Woman who sent us in here." Roa urged him to resume his load, but Snaveling resisted. "I need a moment," he panted, "to rest."

Beside him was a stack of three large barrels of ale. Reaching up with one hand he made as though he were clinging to the top of the uppermost barrel to keep his balance. But with the strength of his lean form he was able to pull the barrels over. They crashed to the cellar floor, the bottom-most one splintering and spilling its contents onto the packed earth. The other two came to rest on top of the cask that they had been carrying. Roa was trapped behind the barrels and no longer able to reach the stairs.

"Oh dear," Snaveling leered with something approaching sincerity. "I am sorry. I shall go for help."

Before waiting for a response he ran up the stairs and into the Common Room. But rather than making for the door, he turned and went further into the Inn, looking for the stairs to the upper storey and the treasures that he imagined awaited him there.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #262
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The smoke was starting to get to Roa. Thanks to her hard training she was easily able to grasp the large barrels, and in the cellar the smoke wasn't so bad. But down here she was beginning to fear a collapse. The structure of the first floor was fatally damaged and she didn't know how long the second floor was from falling. She would have turned down this task, but she also knew how damaging the ale would be if it caught fire. The man, Snaveling he said his name was, didn't seem nearly as affected from the smoke. Curse her allergy! well, she was managing. "We need help down here," he was saying. "Then carry that out on your way to get it," Roa replied hotly. It was after all, very warm down there. Instead he stopped, and sat down gasping. Roa narrowed her eyes dangerously. "Keep moving," she said quietly. He stood as though off balance, and ended up knocking down a pile of barrels. Roa was trapped.

"What are you doing?" she yelled, hating the tremor in her voice. "Oh dear. I am sorry. I shall go for help." With that he ran off. Roa had a sinking feeling he would not be back for her. How had gotten herself in this mess? She should have slept in. After a few moments of waiting, Roa hollared, "A curse upon you and all your kin if I die!" Then she set back to work. She had gotten herself in this mess- she would get hersself out. As she was searching for another exit, the smoke began to over take her. She stumbled and hit her head. Everything went black.

Last edited by Roa_Aoife; 02-12-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #263
WarBringer
Wight

Valthalion arrived in the middle of the Inn and immediately began looking for a way to help. Smoke was thick throughout the area, and in some parts the fire was still raging. He moved toward the bucket line to help, but felt a hand on his shoulder. A man with a beard spoke to him urgently-"I believe that we can keep the fire subdued for now. You would be of more help if you went down to the cellar and tried to save some of the Inn's Store. If we want to revive the Dragon, we'll need food and drink. Now go, and send for help if you need it."

Valthalion nodded and headed down to the cellar. As he descended, a dark figure darted past him, but it was too dark to make out who it was. Shrugging, Val continued to the cellar. The smoke was thick throughout the room. There were small fires here and there. Finding a bucket, he was about to head up the stairs for water when he heard a moan coming from a pile of barrels. The color drained from his face, and he ran toward the voice. "WHO's THERE?!" he yelled at the top of his lungs.

From behind the barrels,a voice rang out. My name -cough- is -cough- Roa. Help me quickly!" Valthalion wasted no time, and, using all his might, he managed to move one of the fallen barrels and began to look for the woman. He found her huddled on the floor, coughing and choking on the smoke. He lifted her off the ground, and brought her up the stairs, praying that she was alright.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #264
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree watched as Grimm walked away to find Aman. Cree didn't know what to do now. She looked around to see what was going on now. She got tired of standing there waiting for something to do. So Cree ran over to Aman and Grimm. "Aman, we have lost the inn." Her words were harsh even if she meant them to be comforting. She looked down at the now muddy ground beneath her bare feet. The mudd was soft and comforting.

Cree felt bad for what she had said. "I'm sorry Aman. I didn't mean it that way." Cree could hear Avalon circling above. The crow suddenly swooped down and landed on her shoulder. The birds talons dug into her skin. Cree flinched with pain but suddenly forgot about it. Her clothers were already drenched with rain. She couldn't tell the difference now between the blood pouring out of her shoulder and the rain falling on her.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #265
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Snaveling

Roa's threats of vengeance meant little to Snaveling, whose life had already taken him far beyond the care and report of any kin. The sudden appearance of the strident youth alarmed him, but to his relief the young Man missed him in the dark and the smoke. The first floor of the Inn was now crowded with people battling the blaze, which was almost entirely under control. Fortunately, they were still too busy to notice his stealthy flight up the stairs to the second floor.

Snaveling was patient this time, moving through room after room, disdaining to take any of the small trinkets that came under his hand, waiting instead for the prize that he was sure was his due after enduring the dangers and hardships that he had this day. In the fifth room he entered, he found what he was looking for. Beneath the mattress of the bed, his creeping hand found a heavy purse. Before he had even opened it, his practiced fingers had already told him the precise amount and quality of the gold and silver contained therein. Still, when he did draw the mouth of the purse open and gaze within, his head spun -- here were riches enough to make all his dreams come true: and for the first time in many years, Snaveling felt something that could almost pass for joy.

Shoving his gold beneath his tunic, Snaveling fled the room. The only way out of the Inn from the top floor was through the windows -- which was sure to attract attention -- or back down the stairs. He hoped that in the commotion below he could slip out of the Inn and make for the woods unmarked and unnoticed. But Snaveling's luck, for today at least, had finally run out. No sooner had he put his foot upon the fire-weakened stairs then they collapsed beneath his weight. For a moment he was suspended in the air, but then amid a shower of splinters and dying sparks he was dashed to the wooden floor below, and as his conscious mind fled, it gave to his dreams a single parting thought -- save the gold!

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 02-13-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #266
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Galadel

Galadel had continued working with the wounded, while most everyone else had rushed off to save the inn. Only a few of the slightly injured people remained ot aid her in her task. Yet, bacndage were slowly running out, the fire was dying, and they needed more water. Moving with swiftness and determination the elf ordered two hobbits to gether wood, two others to gather as many blankets and other things hat could be made into wraps, and two others to find water. Off they went to do their tasks. Four other folks were left with Galadel, and, under her instuction, applied the wraps that she made as quickly as her tired hands could make them.

While handing a wrap to a young woman, Galadel suddenly found herself gasping for breath. The wrap in her hand fell to the ground and she collapsed to her knees, barely able to breathe. She could sense that a spell had just been made, and the power that it contained in it shook Galadel to bone. It was a spell of foreboding, the elf felt, and there was great anger in it as well. Terror filled her mind, which seem to come from whoever had just made the curse, and the smell of burning wood very near filled her nostrils. Then the smell and feelings were gone, and Galadel found herself kneeling on the soggy earth, her hands to her throat, and her hand titled up to the rain clouds gathered in the sky, from which poured a steady stream of rain.

"My lady," said the frightened young woman that stood before the elf, "Are you alright?"

Galadel stood up swiftly, not even seeming to notice the young woman, adn rushed off inthe direction of the inn. The feeling of peril was still with her. She must do something to aid her kin, who had to have been the one that made that spell, for only a Noldor elf could have made a curse with such power in it. On she hurried past the workers, and ran into the smouldering inn, not even heading the cries that followed her, telling her to stop. Her time to help was now, and nothing would stop her.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll

Last edited by Galadel Vinorel; 02-13-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #267
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ROA_AOIFE

Go to ‘user cp’ and click on ‘Private Messages’.

To the upper right of your PM ‘inbox’ screen is a little 'jump' box that should say 'inbox' - click on the little triangle on it for the drop down menu. There are two other sections to your PM's - 'sent messages' and 'message tracking'.

Every time you send a PM, you need to look at the checked boxes below your white send-a-PM screen - uncheck the last 2 boxes:

Save a copy and Request Read Receipt

unless you really need to use them, of course.

You can only have a total of 10 messages in all of these sections together - so your 'inbox' might be empty, but these other 2 have a total of 10 messages.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #268
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Elkamia still helped the brigade as they threw sand and water, and noticed the people running into the building. "The ale!" She muttered. "It'll go up like one of Gandalf's fireworks!" She broke from the ranks of the brigade and ran towards the Inn door. The flames were still licking at the walls, but a she didn't worry too much. 'As long as I watch my step, I'll be fine.' She thought.

She headed down the cellar, following her instincts in order to find the door down there. It was dark and she pulled from a pouch on her belt a clear round crystal, blazing with light. She had been a good friend to Gandalf before he passed to Fair Valinor, and he had made the light for her as a lamp at night; she had always hated the dark. Over in a corner, a man helped a woman up, and a barrel of ale had been spilled. She cursed beneath her breath, in the language of her people. One tiny flame could set alight that puddle, and thus the whole place. She touched the arm of the man.

"You should both get out of here." She said. her voice was soft and calm, but loud enough to be heard above the flames. The man looked at her, the young man from the edge of the forest. She turned slightly, hoping that he would follow her advice once he was done, and lifted one of the large ale barrels that had trapped the woman, keeping her from her escape route. The ceiling creaked, and Elkamia realised that it would soon fall in. Strengthening her grip on the large barrel, she hurried from the cellar, hoping that the two of them would follow.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #269
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Soaked to the bone, shivering, and exhausted, Asphodel attempted to to pull herself up off her blanket. Her body felt like lead, and she found she was still a little dizzy. After a few tries, however, she found she was able to stand tolerably well on her own feet.

Slowly but surely, she made her way towards the smoking ruins of the Green Dragon. She could hear voices, now, and watched as people ran to and fro with buckets of water to quench the last of the fire.

Asphodel wished that her family would come to get her. She didn't think she could make the hour's walk to her house on her wobbly legs. She knew she had to get help, but from who? Now facing the Inn, she rested herself on a large rock, and watched the people putting the fire out; some Men, some Elves, some Dwarves, but mostly Hobbits. She didn't recognize any of them. She searched in vain for Aman, the barkeeper. The Big Folk lady was not there. At least, not that she could see. Though she felt very sick, Asphodel was too shy to ask help of those she didn't know. There was but one thing to do, and that was to wait until Aman came back, or until her father came to pick her up.

She hoped that her father had heard of the Inn fire, otherwise he probably wouldn't come to get her right away. Espcially since it was raining so hard. Asphodel's legs felt stiff and sore from walking. She sunk down slowly and sat in the soft mud, her back up against the rock. Shivering, she gathered her knees in her arms and placed her head upon them, letting the heavy rain soak the top of her head, and run down her back.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #270
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Unh..." Roa mouned as she slowly came back to her senses. She was being supported by the young man from earlier. She groggily shook her aching head and coughed, trying to remember what happened. How did I get here? she wondered. The fire, the Inn, my arm, she winced, the fight, the ale, the... the... Roa couldn't remember how she'd been trapped. Vaguely she acknowledged the presence of an elf woman. She almost fell on the stairs, and the young man had to carry her the rest of the way. Some where within Roa groaned at her weakness, but that part was shrouded in pain. She shook her head again, trying to make the thoughts go back in place. Roa was losing that battle for consciousness. By sheer will, she stayed awake.

They made it to the outside, and she lay on the sweet smelling grass. The cool rain helped revive her. She sat up quickly, but collasped again from dizziness. "Easy," said the young man, "you've been hurt pretty badly." Roa managed to mumble something about having had worse, and sat up more slowly. "Who are you again?" "My name is Valthalion," the young manreplied. About that time, she heard a loud crash.

"What was that?" she asked. "I think the stairs to the second floor have fallen," the young man replied. Muttering a thousand curses, Roa climbed to her feet. Then she took off towards the crash zone, praying that no one had been there. "Wait!' Valthalion called. He easily caught up with her, but did not try to deter her from her goal. If I was not injured you wouldn't have caught me, she thought, more annoyed at herself than him. Again, she wished she knew what had happened in the cellar.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #271
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Toby ran through the mayhem, scurrying strangely as he went. After his proclamation, all attention had turned to the ruin, which seemed to be brimming with those who’d moved in to quell the blaze. The elder was annoyed that the spotlight had left him, but it gave him a chance to consider how to continually promote his ideals among the people around him. He didn’t bother trying to continue his oration, knowing that no one would be stupid enough to listen to him when such important matters needed tending to. He decided to whatever he could to remain on the stage, still in the spotlight.

He saw Valthalion, the man he’d accused of starting the fire, with a woman heading towards the inn. He had nothing else to do, at least in his opinion, so he made a decision. The rodent-reminiscent hobbit clamored awkwardly towards the two of them as quickly as his stumpy legs could carry him. He was directly behind them in an instant, hoping fervently that their senses of hearing were not very acute. It wouldn’t be dire if they noticed him, but he preferred to be unnoticed when he was “working.” He walked behind them, flitting about as quietly as he could in the footsteps of his possible victims, still walking ahead.

He was nearly soaked to the bone at this point, grey-brown hair plastered to his face and his vision blurred from the downpour. He pulled his overcoat and cloak up, bundled around his shoulders, and skittered along, waiting for something to happen that would serve as an adequate distraction or point of interest.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #272
WarBringer
Wight

Together, Valthalion and Roa took off toward the Inn to investigate the sound they had heard. The rain began to intensify, and both were soaked. Near the doorway, Roa slipped and fell. Valthalion stooped and lifted her up, and then they both continued their run. Breaking through the bucket brigade that was fighting the dauntless flames, they ran toward the stairway to the second floor.

They found only ruin. The stair had indeed collapsed, leaving a pile of rubble in its wake. Roa dropped to her knees in disbelief and exhaustion. Valthalion lowered his head, unbelievingly. Roa stood up then and said "We must check this rubble for people and items, lest they be lost forever." Valthalion nodded, and together they began to search the rubble. WHat happened next shocked them both. First, a groan came from amid the rubble. Digging quickly, Roa uncovered the man who had knocked over the barrels earlier! Valthalion looked on in disbelief at the motionless figure, when suddenly he heard footsteps from behind him. Turning around, he saw a hobbit sneaking behind them. Roa and Valthalion were back to back, wondering what to do with the situation.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #273
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Toby proceeded to sneak inside the inn’s ruin, following Valthalion and the unknown female. They came to what remained of the staircase to the second level, now collapsed in a heap of wooden and mortar debris scattered across the singed floorboards. The woman dug courageously through the pile of rubble until she uncovered something which Tobias couldn’t see, since the man was in the way. He moved a little closer as the heat around him grew nearly unbearable. He was persistent enough to continue, despite the unpleasant conditions surrounding him and the heat that was beginning to pester him.

Unfortunately, that was when a series of painfully badly-timed events began occurring in sequence. First, Toby stepped on a splintered wooden plank on the floor which heaved a groaning creak as he raised his bare foot from it. The man, Valthalion, turned instantly after the noise was emitted and had obviously noticed the creeping hobbit. Toby backed up defensively, which wasn’t the best idea, considering what happened next. He felt something searing the rough flesh of his sore foot again and sprung further in the opposite direction.

The heat level shot up as something that Toby’s couldn’t see flew in front of him. He believed it to be a flaming rafter, though he didn’t know if the inn had rafters. The wooden beam slashed his bulging chest (which was only bulging because of everything he’d stuffed into it) and ignited it in a violent flash. The fire luckily didn’t have time to envelope his outfit, but it did send all the silverware and utensils stuffed into his breast pockets flying all over the room like shrapnel. The hobbit stumbled as his scorched vest disintegrated around him and clattered noisily onto the floor.

Old 02-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #274
WarBringer
Wight

Valthalion stared at the panic striken hobbit, who was now also wounded. He frowned and knelt to the ground, picking up one of the fallen utensils. Then Valthalion spoke wrathfully "So this is what the fire has yielded?! A hobbit who steales when he should give all his energy to save this Inn?! You are truly a disgrace to all of your good folk. Stay where you are and keep silent. SHould you move, you will see a side of me that few have seen. Understood?!" The hobbit gulped and nodded, a guilty look on his face.

"That's not all Val. This is the man who accused you of starting the fire is this man." Shocked, Valthalion strode foward, kneeling over the man. Searching him quickly, he found more shocking items. The man had stolen a purse filled with gold. Rising quickly, he said, "Roa, we have caught a couple of criminals. What are we to do with them?"
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #275
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Snaveling

Through all the hard years and long leagues of his life, the one picture that had kept Snaveling going was that of the hunting lodge that he would build. It would have five rooms and a large porch out back, where he could sit of an evening and smoke his pipe. It would be in an out-of-the-way valley where the hunting and fishing were good, and far from the meddling interference of other folk. If he got lonely he could send to his people in the South for a woman, and she would cook for him and mend his clothes, and he would teach his children how to hunt game and protect themselves from the people who hated them. This lodge was more than his dream -- it was his reason for being. The thought of it had kept him warm in the nights spent outdoors in all weathers. It had given him courage in the wildest lands. And it had given him comfort when the least door in the meanest villages had been closed against him.

And now, it was almost his. As he moved through the hinterlands of consciousness, he walked the halls of this lodge and threw open the shutters to greet the dawn. The gold, the gold -- the precious gold he cried. Such a small thing, a simple thing, a pouch of gold -- and all that I have dreamed of is mine to enjoy forever. But the sunlight on his face was blotted out by sudden rainclouds. The songs of the birds in the valley became the cries of people fighting for their lives, and the warmth of the morning airs became the violent redness of naked flame.

Snaveling awoke practically in tears, knowing even before he opened his eyes that the gold was gone, and with it his dreams. He sat up, gasping in agony and looked at the merciless eyes of Roa and Valthalion staring down at him. He buried his head in his hands and wept as he had not since he was a small child.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 02-14-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #276
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Halfred, the Shiriff of Bywater is roused to action

Halfred had been roused from his warm, comfortable bed by the urgent pounding on his door. He peeked his head out from his quilt and felt his wife nudge him in his well padded ribs with her sharp elbow. ‘Get up, Halfred, and see to who it is. I can hear them yelling for the Shiriff.’ She glared at him from beneath her bed cap until he roused his aching bones from his little nest and placed his feet on the cold floor. He stood up slowly, hearing his protesting joints creak as he assumed the upright position.

‘I’m coming! I’m coming!’ he yelled to the insistent caller, as he plodded toward the door.

It was Ruby, from the Inn. She fell forward as he opened the door, and would have hit the floor had he not caught her. ‘The Inn!’ she gasped, as he sat her in a nearby chair. Aman had sent her to fetch the Shiriff, she told him. There had been a big fire; the Inn was nearly destroyed. It was under control now, only the smoky remains of the now put out flames, as everyone had pitched in with a bucket brigade. But people were injured, and things needed sorting out. Miz Aman was busy seeing to the needs of the people and saving what she could from the Inn. Could Halfred please come and help out.

‘Wait here,’ said Halfred, running to the bedroom and throwing on his clothes. He gave a quick explanation to the missus who said she would come soon to help out. Halfred put on his green cap with the white feather and drew his cloak about him as he hurried back down the hall to collect Ruby. He stopped at Tolman’s room, his oldest son, and woke the lad from his sleep.

‘Get Dumpling saddled, son,’ he told Tolman, explaining hurriedly what had happened. Go up on the hill above Bag End and rouse the Hobbiton Shiriff. Tell Fredgar what I’ve told you, and tell him we’ll be needing him and any of his men who can come.’

Ruby and Halfred sped off toward the Green Dragon in his small buggy. Tolman threw the saddle on the disgruntled Dumpling and made for the house of Fredgar Hornblower, the Shiriff of Hobbiton . . .

Please Note:

Fool of a Took is now going to handle the part of the Shiriff of Hobbiton. And will occasionally use the character of Halfred as needed.

He will introduce this new character soon.

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-14-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #277
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Moving Forward

Please note in my last post, I mentioned that for the most part, the fire is out in the Inn.

Now is time to take stock of what can be salvaged and what can't; who's hurt and who isn't, etc . . .

Perhaps some can remove the horses in the stable to one of the far fenced in pens on the Inn grounds, and the wounded can be cared for in there. It's a large stable with a big hayloft.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Shire Mod

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-14-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #278
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Elkamia put down the ale barrel she carried, and realised that the woman and man had gone back inside the Inn. The stairs to the second floor had just collapsed as she had left, and now she hurried back into the ruined building.

The man and women stood near the stairs, along with the Hobbit she had seen theiving the night before and the man that she had seen a while earlier enter the Inn. The woman looked up at her, and spoke to the man next to him. She was coughing again, and Elkamia realised that she was allergic to smoke, or something like that. The wet cloth over her own nose and mouth protected her from the smoke, many years of experience told her that a wet cloth repelled most of the smoke.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited by Feared Half-Elf; 02-18-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #279
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Fredgar, the Shiriff of Hobbiton

Fredgar woke up from his sleep by his wife, Rosalinda, that poked him on his shoulder. "Fredgar..." she whispered softly in his ear, "there are a young lad outside who wishes to see you right away." Fredgar mumbled something that she couldn't hear. He rose up slowly and yawned. He put his slippers on and his wife ran to the closet in the hall for his dressing gown. He went to the outer door where a young lad stood and seemed very upset. Fredgar had never seen him before around Hobbiton, so he said with a peevish voice "Can I help you?" He saw outside that the lad had came here by a pony. "Yes... you certainly can mister Fredgar!" he replied. "I am Tolman, son of Halfred Whitfoot, the Shiriff of Bywater. I come with word from him. Our local inn, The Green Dragon Inn, is on fire. The fire is under control now and we have gathered people to organize a bucket chain. But my father and the innkeeper would be glad if you could come to help with some of your men. The situation is almost chaotic, but the fire is now under control. Yet many people are wounded and need medical help." Rosalinda ran after a chair so Tolman could sit down. Fredgar got upset and surprised. He had been at the Green Dragon many times and the ale there was wonderful. "I will gather two good men and come to aid." he replied and ran after his clothes in the bedroom. "Hurry back and tell your father that I will come" he shouted as he dressed himself.

He kissed Rosalinda goodbye and grabbed his green hat and dagger by the door and ran to the stables. "Be careful now, Freddie!" she shouted as he ran. He sadled his own pony, Roman, and then ran to his first assistants house, Zackarias, and pounded on his door. A sleepy Zackarias opened the door slowly. "Get up Zack! Sadle your pony and go wake Angus up! We must ride to Bywater, the local inn is on fire and they need our help to organize!" Zackarias got paniced and ran inside again and dressed. He came back to the door fully dressed and said "Angus and I meet you at the start of the road to Bywater! Is there anything we should bring?" Fredgar hummed and said "Yes, bring bandage and plasters. Tolman, the Shiriff of Bywater's son, told me that many were wounded." Zackarias nodded and ran back into his hole. Fredgar ran to his pony and jumped up. He rode to the start of the road to Bywater and waited there for the arrival of Zackarias and Angus..

After a minute Zackarias and Angus showed up on their ponys. Both of them had backpacks and daggers in their belts. "We must hurry!" Fredgar said and spurred Roman. They rode the fastest as they could and didn't stop so they could rest. After a while they arrived to Bywater and they could see the smoke from the inn rose to the sky. Fredgar could hear people scream and shout. He rode down the road to the inn and could see Halfred at distance. The bucket chain was doing it's job well and the wounded seemed to get help. Yet many of them was paniced and some of them cried of sorrow. Fredgar thought it was terrible to see. He always got a little bit sad himself when he saw other people crying. They stopped quiet far away from the inn and jumped down from their horses. All three of them led their horses the last way to the inn. Fredgar couldn't see Aman, the innkeeper, anywhere. He asked many but no one knew where she was. He walked to Halfred and poked on his shoulder. Halfred turned around and his face looked concerned. "I have brought two good men with bandage and other medical equipment that can help the wounded. I will help you to organize things. But do you know where miss Aman is?"

The inn was nearly totally destroyed and Fredgar drew a deep sigh. It's so sad... Poor Aman...

Last edited by Fool Of A Took; 02-14-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #280
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

IT IS NOW LATER MORNING IN THE SHIRE.

The Fire is out, though it is still very smoky; those at the Inn are taking stock of the situation. The wounded are being taken to the Inn stable, which has been cleared of the horses.

Buttercup and Ruby have started a small cooking fire, well away from the stable and remains of the Inn, and have put on a large, rescued soup pot filled with water. Members of the surrounding community have brought vegetables and a few soup bones for the making of a thick soup.

The stable’s pump is now the scene of people washing up bowls and spoons for the upcoming meal.

Some brave souls are still rescuing important items from the Inn

The Shiriff of Hobbiton, Fredgar Hornblower has arrived, and things are getting organized.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-14-2004 at 03:03 PM.