The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Ah, yes, that was worrying me, I´m glad you did it that way.
I originally goofed and used the ratio provided in the original table, but then realized that that statistic is measuring something completely different.

Quote:
For example, I have a pretty good give and take record (229/222) but because those who repped me had more points to give than I did, I came out on the original list looking a very mingy, masculine 0.83...while using number of reps rather than points gives me an only-slightly-more-stingy-than-average female score of 1.03.
Don't be so hard on yourself. We don't know (and me head hurts too much to work on this at this time) what the variance is. What if 'average' is 1.05 ± 0.5? And remember, the original exercise was to figure how I could maximize my rep with minimal thought in my posts, and so don't overwork the numbers (some might note that I've mastered at least half of that equation).

alatar reminds himself to post near those members with very high 'give' values...

Quote:
So, alatar, given that you had to do all these divisions for all of us..(gulp)...how long did this take you?
A couple hours. Have a thing about efficiency, and so, using a spreadsheet, I cherry-picked those members whose gender I could easily assign. That was about half. Methodically reviewed the others. Most were easy; some I still am not too sure about. You may be surprised that people do leave somewhat obscure clues lying around, like "I'm just an ordinary average guy."

Learned a lot along the way. There are patterns (at least I see them like so many shapes in clouds) that emerge when you look at so many disparate members in such a short time. Some I never crossed paths with as seemingly all they do is RPG. Males tend to make over-the-top claims about how many orcs that they've slain and nick themselves like "Lord Melkor's Bigger and Meaner Brother." Females talk about their friends and have cute bunny pictures (not beheaded) somewhere.

Generally speaking, of course.