The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Reputation System Discontinued for now

The Reputation system has been reset and discontinued for now. It may be reinstituted after I've had chance to read the documentation for the newest version of vBulletin. You can still see the reputations by going to Reputation Levels at fourm.barrowdowns.com as of 30 June, 2007
Old 06-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Reputations On Again

Reputations Back on
I've reset everyone's rep to 10 pts and recalculated the number of points needed to reach each level. Additionally, the levels themselves have been rewritten in a new theme.

Reputation Giving Power
Bonuses for high reputation and tenure have been eliminated, and the bonus for having a high reputation has been greatly reduced.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Is it the reason I've got all those mail notifications about replies to threads that really happened some years back?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Bonuses for high reputation and tenure have been eliminated, and the bonus for having a high reputation has been greatly reduced.
Sounds much fairer - good idea!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
Is it the reason I've got all those mail notifications about replies to threads that really happened some years back?
There were 1400 posts sitting in a 'moderation' queue that I never knew about until last night's upgrade. I cleared them all out, and apparently that generated a lot of e-mails. Sorry!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

I had some setting wrong, so if you repped anyone since my post above stating reps were working again, you'll need to rep them again to make them count. Sorry. Hopefully I've got it right now!
Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Alas! To have been kicked off Taniquetil is bad enough, now I don't even appear on your list! Ah, it's because I am a Dark Elf, isn't it? There have always been conspiracies against the Moriquendi! Haughty Noldor!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight View Post
There were 1400 posts sitting in a 'moderation' queue that I never knew about until last night's upgrade. I cleared them all out, and apparently that generated a lot of e-mails. Sorry!
No, it's rather 'thank you' you're due from me - that made me reread some old threads I would not (probably) otherwise turned to

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Is it just me, or is there a problem with repping people in the Shire or Rohan?
Durelin,

This suggestion is not from me but I am passing it along from BW. It worked for me.

If you're having trouble with any of the links such as rep, just right click and pull it up in a new window. I was able to rep people this way in the Shire and Rohan and also to search some threads when the original links didn't work.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
So, what's an infraction point?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ummm...I have a question.
I've noticed those infraction points some time ago and I was wondering where can a member see if he has got any infractions?
I mean, I doubt I have any for now, but I can't seem to find anything in my User CP that links to that.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Post the girl

Back in the day, as noted here, I posited that some wag with the time and...well, time could sit down and analyze the Downs to see just how one could maximize his/her rep. Think of the glory of using algorithms to determine the best thread in which to post to have the highest possibility of getting repped. No more spending hours writing and rewriting a post to see it ignored. Like Doppler storm tracking, one could see on some probability map where and when to post and WHAM! Post and ye shall be repped.

I have started down this path.

Using the list provided in the first post in this thread, I determined the gender of each member. That took some time, and I won't be providing my data as I'm sure that I got more than a few wrong (that, typos and some of you are most likely posers, so...). Using pictures and posts, I tried to determine the sex of each poster, but in some cases there was just no way to know, and so I took the scientific approach and assigned the gender that most supported my results.

Anyway, with 167 males and 133 females (I think), the data indicate that:
  • females rep more, and
  • females rep more than they receive rep

Conclusions? Many, but you form your own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg given.jpg (47.1 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg given_got.jpg (71.9 KB, 791 views)
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Generosity, thy name is woman. (my interpretive conclusion)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #14
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Generosity, thy name is woman. (my interpretive conclusion)
Truly.

Or at least that was my initial hypothesis, based on perceptions in RL and at the Downs. It may be true that, being male, that I'm selfish (the data indicate that I'm a typical male repper), 'taking' more than I give, but I don't think that we have enough data to extrapolate that far from the curve. Could it be that male posters rep females on a even basis (1:1) but, due to biology, rep other male posters less? Or do males rep less due to some other factor?

Is rep emotionally driven, and if the average male had less 'emotion' than the average female, could this explain what we are seeing?

Note that I did not apply statistics to the data as I'd burned enough time on it (the Perseid meteor shower was a fizzle, and so...) and, more likely, how even more boring would the results be if there were no statistical difference?