The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2003, 04:18 AM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Arwen Singing?

Does anyone know if liv Tyler really has recorded a song for Rotk? I read a rumour in a magazine.<BR>I'm starting to have horrible images of her singing it during the actual movie You know, like wandering round Lorien or Rivendell singing while Aragorn is fighting in slow motion on one side of the screen. They could make Lotr: The Musical. They've already had Gandalf singing in his cart and Pippin and Merry dancing on a table in Fotr. Oh, and Aragorn sang in Fotr. Hey, Arwen and Aragorn could do a duet! Some sappy love ballad or something! *dies of horror*
Old 05-02-2003, 06:33 AM   #2
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> wandering round Lorien or Rivendell singing while Aragorn is fighting in slow motion on one side of the screen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HAHAHA Oh my god I could so imagine that!!! LOL!! And then a duet! hahaha...<P>I've never heard anything about liv tyler singing in ROTK so I really can't tell you if its true or not but its just planted the funniest mental images in my head lol!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OMG!!! Thats funny!!!!! Well I really don't think Liv Tyler will be singing in ROTK, and I certainly hope not, that be would be terrible!!!! rotfl!!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Well, I did read it in an official film magazine, but it was labelled rumour so I'm kinda dubious. But we all know what Peter Jackson is like when it comes to Arwen, so he may as well put us out of our misery now and change Return Of The King to Return Of The Elf Queen. It looks as though she's set to dominate movie number 3 as well.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd really like to hear her sing (But I do think the "Arwen Aragorn duet" is a VERY VERY bad idea :P )<BR>Peter Jackson knows what he's doing. He probably wouldn't let Liv ruin the movie, would he? *hopes PJ really knows what he's doing*
Old 05-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry for the typos in this post; I can't see because I've gouged out my eyes with a spoon.<P>Seriously, though, I can't see Liv Tyler singing. Of course, I couldn't see Ewan McGregor (young Obi-Wan Kenobi; <I>Star Wars: The Phantom Menace</I>) singing either and look what he did with <I>Moulin Rouge!</I> (and that short bit in <I>Emma</I> before that).
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I heard that rumor in NW magazine at teh end of last year.. It is not true... At least I pretty sure it isnt...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
babsies
Pile O'Bones

babsies has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

when did aragron sing in fotr? and the arwen singing while aragron is fighting is sooo funny. that would make the movie so, so corny. i really hope pj doesnt do that.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

In the extended version, Aragorn sings at Weathertop, I believe. hey, I <I>liked</I> it when Merry and Pippin were singing on the table! I thought it was rather funny <P>~Menelien
Old 05-07-2003, 07:38 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And I thought Viggo singing was bad enough <BR>(just kidding )<BR>But I think if they do let Liv sing (though none of us really know what she sounds like as a singer, her father is a rock star) I might exit the theater during that part (I won't be gone the entire film, it would not ruin the rest of the movie for me)
Old 05-07-2003, 07:51 PM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Hey, knowing PJ, you might not want to walk out as she's singing. Maybe something happens as she sings... (ie Eowyn jumps out with a large sword, shaking it menacingly) No but really, I don't think he would have her randomly sing wihout something happening to add to it. And if she can't sing, he can find a dubber so good you can't tell the dfference. (I watched the movie 'Ирония судьбы, или с легким паром' for 3 damn hours, and I didn't figure out the woman's voice was being dubbed till my dad told me. Go figure )<P>~Menelien<p>[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Forsooth, I have stumbled into a strange place, where people shun the idea of singing in Lord of the Rings. There were scads of songs in the book—even Gimli sang. Aragorn at Weathertop singing about Luthien was from the book, I don't know why everyone complains about it so much. Having Arwen sing would be more true to Tolkien than anything she has done thus far or probably will do in RotK.<P>Seriously, though, she won't. I doubt Peter Jackson would have made two whole movies with the singing taken out (Merry and Pippin and Aragorn were Extended Edition stuff, and Gandalf was background noise) and then suddenly have a song and dance routine in the darkest installment. My prediction is that RotK will be blood, sweat, and tears all the way. Not the '60s band, mind you, the literal bodily fluids. We all know how much PJ likes fluids.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 AM   #13
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Hey you might he surprised to know that Viggo is a jazz musician and has previously released 2 jazz CD's...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-08-2003, 01:31 AM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I love the singing in the books... but I don't imagine they picked the actors for voice. If they had, I'd love it.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-08-2003, 04:55 AM   #15
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

She <I>has</I> recorded a song, it's called "Arwen's Song" (go figure). It'll probably be one of the background songs, though, like "Evenstar" was or something.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:19 PM   #16
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

She seriously did?!?! I hope that if PJ does have her sing in the movie, it will be a background thing. Like Meela said, in the woods somewhere, it seems more fitting for an elf.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:54 AM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

AHHH! Arwen seems to do everything in these movies... Its starting to drive me crazy!!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #18
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I share your pain, Everdawn! *hands her a consolation cookie*
Old 05-09-2003, 07:54 AM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Oh, and Aragorn's CD's. Heard about them, want to listen, want to laugh. Hate jazz. Just wanna mock Viggo No, I adore him. It'd be nice to see what else he has on offer. Anyone know where I can buy these CD's?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Well, I really like jazz (and practically every other type of music except country), but I don't want to listen to Aragorn <I>sing</I>. He's an actor, not a singer for heaven's sake! <P>~Menelien
Old 05-10-2003, 01:53 AM   #21
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Im gald there are others out there who think the same. *takes cookie* Thankyou..<BR>I have no idea where you can buy them, try a jazz shop or something.. i will next time i go.. becuase i love Jazz!... ok ill calm down now..

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #22
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The rumor I heard was that her song was going to be played during the end credits. Like "May It Be" and "Gollum's Song" was.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #23
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Am I the only one who liked Viggo's singing?<BR>Sure he was pritty much murmuring the song but I think he could have a good voice.<P>I like what PJ was doing with Arwen at the end of TTT movie. The way he made it look like Arwen really will leave. If I was him I'd keep that concept and in ROTK keep giving hints that she's leaving. That way the people who haven't read the book will be so happy when SUPRISE! she comes back at the end. It also means Arwen gets less screen time.<P>How does that sound?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:37 AM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Am I the only one who liked Viggo's singing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are not alone! He has a beautiful voice!
Old 05-11-2003, 06:10 AM   #25
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

She probably is going to sing... even thought that will be a tad bit gastly, Arwen is a descendant of Luthien so I imagine that she has a beautiful voice. And Liv Tyler tried out for the Moulin Rouge so she should be an acceptable singer. <BR>But it comes back to Arwen <I>doesn't</I> sing. It would be interestng, though.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

When you were discussing an Aragorn-Arwen duet while Aragorn is fighting, I suddenly had this image of "Lord of the Rings - the Musical" where everyone bursts into full song and line-dance every three minutes. Funny image, but a little horrifying too: imagine three-hundred Uruk singing a song called "We Ain't Had Nothing But Maggoty Bread For Three Stinkin' Days", doing line-dancing all the while with high-kicks and the like? *shivers*<P>Well, Liv does come from Stephen Tyler. I would imagine that, at some point, she had voice training. She even married a musician. I say we sit back and see what will be. If they have singing within the movie, it could be when the Hobbits are leaving to head home or something. That would not be completely awful: if she sang as they left, and they heard her singing to herself or something. I don't think she should have "Arwen's Song" at the end credits, though, as that makes it seem as though it's Arwen's Ending as well. It makes her seem too big of a character. If she ended the movies, it would be as though the whole thing was about Arwen and Aragorn returning to her . Well, all we can do now is wait!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #27
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arg!! It's all terrible! LotR is a MOVIE not a MUSICAL!!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:37 AM   #28
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> imagine three-hundred Uruk singing a song called "We Ain't Had Nothing But Maggoty Bread For Three Stinkin' Days", doing line-dancing all the while with high-kicks and the like? *shivers* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*dies laughing*<P>And the Rohirrim galloping along singing... something... for some reason my head is telling me they should sing 100 Green Bottles. Perhaps they could sing 100 Grey Horses.<P>And Row Row Row Your Boat as they sail down the Anduin.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #29
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Or, like in Revenge of the Entish Bow...<P><I>We are the Uruks, the mighty mighty Uruks...</I> That would be funny but terrible <P>~Menelien
Old 05-12-2003, 01:59 PM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, but don't you remember that wonderful orc tune:<P>"Where there's a wip<BR>Theres a way..."<P><BR>I would love to see PJ's orcs singing that.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #31
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Yes, that would be- *breaks off laughing evilly, runs away to blackmail PJ*<P>~Menelien
Old 05-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #32
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I always imagined Aragorn in a sparkly blue suit (plus his cloak) singing Sinatra style:<BR>"My cuts short or long don't go wrong!"<BR>And then the four hobbits in red sparkly dresses singing backup: "No they don't go wrong!" Eeeeeeewwwww.....of course that's in the book. Who knows what it would be like in the movie.<P>Of course, that was way back when my sister wanted to make Star Wars a musical.<BR>"Luke I am your father, chohhh!"

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:09 PM   #33
Aduoreiel

Haven't you heard? Arwen is on American Idol!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #34
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

That would be scary...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "My cuts short or long don't go wrong!"<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>~Menelien
Old 05-14-2003, 02:18 AM   #35
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

You know what?... I think Delta Goodrem should do a song for ROTK. She has just the right kind of voice.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 AM   #36
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*screams*<P>No way. I'd have to kill her.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #37
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I don't no why everyone seems to have something against Liv Tyler singing. Or Liv Tyler herself. If it was some other actress we would be dreading her next appearence. Dont blame her, its her job. (No not to ruin it, if any one smart was thinking of saying that.) But I do doubt she will actually sing in the film, it will probably be a backing song to some wonderful scene with elves prancing around the place. <P>But I really don't understand why everyone seems to hold a grudge against her portrail of Arwen. You know you should not criticise some one unless you are better than them. And I doubt that many of you are better than her. Plus no one has ever really heard her sing so...
Old 05-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #38
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I adore Liv Tyler. Absolutely adore her. But I think they're just taking Arwen too far.<BR>I wouldn't think so, in fact I don't. I lvoe Arwen in the movies. But this place emphasises some kind of crazy need to stick to the book, which affects my opinions, unfortunately.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:58 AM   #39
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

couldnt have put it better myself Meela

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-15-2003, 05:01 AM   #40
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think Delta Goodrem would be that good for ROTK. Her voice is pretty powerful, she's a good singer but...<P>I don't know, she doesn't seem ethereal enough. She doesn't sound all... elfy for want of a better word.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote