The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
What of the West-Dwarves?

The Appendices state that after the destruction of Beleriand, the Dwarves of the two Western Houses in the Blue Mountains, the Broadbeams and Firebeards, fled east to Khazad-Dum, home of the Longbeards. Did they become permanently mingled with Durin's Folk, or did they return to the Blue Mountains in later Ages to re-colonise the lands of their Fathers? Among the Dwarves of Thorin's company Bifur, Bofur and Bombur were not of Durin's Folk, so it seems that they may have maintained their separate identity. Thoughts?
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Very interesting questions. I do not know that I have any answers. I imagine there was some intermingling, and I also would imagine that a remnant returned to the Blue Mountains.

Merry
Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
Great question. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the FBs and BBs (Firebeards and Broadbeams) went to the newer dwellings of their kinsman in the Blue Mts, who though few had dwelt their since the Fall of Beleriand even though most of their people left for Khazad-dum. Those lands were much more peaceful than the realms of the Dwarves of Durin's folk. While a small amount stayed with Durin's folk.
They possibly were leaving even before the awakening of Durin's bane, since the dwindling of the population Khazad-dum wasn't necessarily death.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
Imperica
Animated Skeleton

Imperica has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Imperica Send a message via AIM to Imperica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished Tales-The Quest of Erebor
It was this that led to the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs, which ended in the Battle of Azanulbizar before the East-gate of Moria in the year 2799. Afterwards Thrain and Thorin Oakenshield dwelt in the Ered Luin.
Afterwards Thrain was captured in 2841 east of the Anduin and imprisoned in Dol Guldor where Gandalf found him in 2850. We can assume that a small amount of Dwarves lived there for at least 51 or so years.

Quote:
"For just as I was nearing Bree I was overtaken by Thorin Oakenshield, who lived then in exile beyond the north-western borders of the Shire" - Gandalf
I assume this means the Ered Luin.

Quote:
He (Thorin) seemed content to remain in Eriador. There he laboured long, and gained such wealth as he could; and his people were increased by many of the wandering Folk of Durin that heard of his dwelling and came to him. Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods, and their days did not seem so hard....
Again, I assume the reference to Eriador to be the Ered Luin, but I am thrown off by it stating to a certain extent "They laboured long and had fair halls" implying that they were new and would not be the ancient mansions of Nogrod and Belegost...

There is alot more information but I am too sleepy.
Imperica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There still were some in the Third Age in the south of the Ered Luin and these were probably either descendants of those that never left the area or of those that fled after the awakening of Durin's Bane.

Quote:
and then the glory of Moria passed, and its people were destroyed or fled far away.
Quote:
went into the far North to the Grey Mountains, where most of Durin's folk were now gathering
Both from the Appendix.

So first it's said that the people of Khazad-dûm fled far away and then that Durin's folk was gathering in the north. So what about the others?
Maybe they decided to go back to their ancestral homes and split up with Durin's folk.

They clearly would have had contact to Thráin and so some went with him on the quest.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperica View Post
Afterwards Thrain was captured in 2841 east of the Anduin and imprisoned in Dol Guldor where Gandalf found him in 2850. We can assume that a small amount of Dwarves lived there for at least 51 or so years.
Quit right Imperica. Infact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe all of the thriteen dwarves with Bilbo were from the Blue Mountains.