The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
The Adventures of Tolkien and Lewis?

Has anybody here read the novel Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen? The plot:

An unusual murder brings together three strangers, John, Jack, and Charles, on a rainy night in London during the first World War. An eccentric little man called Bert tells them that they are now the caretakers of the Imaginarium Geographica -- an atlas of all the lands that have ever existed in myth and legend, fable and fairy tale. These lands, Bert claims, can be traveled to in his ship the Indigo Dragon, one of only seven vessels that is able to cross the Frontier between worlds into the Archipelago of Dreams.

Pursued by strange and terrifying creatures, the companions flee London aboard the Dragonship. Traveling to the very realm of the imagination itself, they must learn to overcome their fears and trust in one another if they are to defeat the dark forces that threaten the destiny of two worlds. And in the process, they will share a great adventure filled with clues that lead readers to the surprise revelation of the legendary storytellers these men will one day become.

The surprise twist at the end is that the three characters John, Jack, and Charles, are none other than John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, C.S. Lewis (who went by the name Jack), and Charles Williams, and that these adventures are what inspired them to create their fantasy worlds later on.

Warner Brothers has already picked up the film rights. The film will be produced by David Heyman(who is producing the Harry Potter films) and the script will be by David Goyer(who wrote Batman Begins).

Any opinions? I wonder if the Tolkien Estate would have anything to say about it, since they control the use of JRRT's likeness.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
My local B&N had it marked down 40% a few weeks after it came out so I bought it. I read about a quarter of it and gave up since it was very light and without any real substance. I could see how it was bought for a film since the writer followed that format pretty closely.

Did you read the book zxcvbn? Did you like it?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
I read it and it was good, though nothing stellar. I didn't like the hodgepodge of bibical myths and Arthurial legends much, though. And I understand the book got many details of Tolkien and Lewis's lives wrong. And there are many unexplained things, too. Like how nobody had the idea of mass-producing the Imaginarium Geographica in 2000 years to prevent quarrels over its use.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've just finished reading all three of the currently available volumes of The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica and enjoyed them very much. Though these stories are supposed to be for "young adults", there is much that only a knowledgeable adult will get. As in other good children's books, there are layers of meaning. I can understand that not everyone likes the metafictional aspect connecting the old myths, whether Greek, English, or Nordic, including the Christian legends, and foreshadowing those of the Inklings to come, but that's the fun part as far as I'm concerned.

I'd heard enough about these books before I bought them to know who the three Caretakers were, and of course knowing enough about the Inklings would have had me realizing that soon enough at any rate.

As far as the fiction meets actual person's lives, we can't expect everything to be biographical. The author reminds us that his characters, even when taken from real life, are fictional. This would be similar to historical novels, which aren't always accurate in details.

Anyone at all interested in history, mythology and literature - and in dragons! - is sure to find these books very entertaining. I look forward to the next one!

Here, There Be Dragons
The Search for the Red Dragon
The Indigo King

coming up this fall:
The Shadow Dragons
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Although I do wish the author had bothered to learn enough about Tolkien to know that he never went by "John." To his family he was "Ronald," to Lewis and other friends he was "Tollers". About as egregious as calling Lewis "Clive."
Old 07-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
William, I think that was part of the idea, using names that wouldn't give away their identity too quickly. And the Tolkien character comments on that somewhere.

edit: Again, it's important to remember that this is a work of fiction. In historical fiction, where real people become characters in a novel, changes and liberties with known facts are frequently used to heighten the dramatic effect and/or tighten up the storyline. A work of fantasy fiction should certainly not be judged by biographical standards, especially when it clearly states its intention to be fictional.

Oh, and I like the explanation that the story gives for the choice of "Jack" as Lewis' name!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 07-04-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Although I do wish the author had bothered to learn enough about Tolkien to know that he never went by "John." To his family he was "Ronald," to Lewis and other friends he was "Tollers". About as egregious as calling Lewis "Clive."
Though to be fair, while if I see John Tolkien my first instinct is to think it refers to Father John, I have just been re-reading the letters and in no309 he says:

" But for myself I remained John. Ronald was for my near kin. My friends at school, Oxford and later have called me John (or occasionally John Ronald or J.Rsquared)..".

Of course that is contradicted by the notes that he signed few letters John and asks Rayner Unwin to call him Ronald in letter 334. And the fact that men of his generation in the public school / university environment especially would probably have used surnames /nicknames. Even in my day at a comprehensive decades later I can't recall the boys using christian names among themselves.

I am not accusing him of lying but names are a complex thing in Tolkien's world and it is often the case that certain names are for certain people / situations only and so it was perhaps for Tolkien. Having a four syllable first name myself I have given up trying to impose its use in it's entirety on everyone (though I mind a little if people shorten it without asking) but the resulting instant familiarity does seem a little hasty as Treebeard would say! Maybe my English stuffiness over names is a result of having lost the distinction between the polite and familiar forms of "you". When I lived in France you moved to first names quickly but to "tutoyer" someone was a significant mark of intimacy.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Another novel with a Tolkien connection, Fire & Ice, is out next year - http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/22243
Quote:
FIRE AND ICE introduces Magnus Jonson, an Iceland-born Boston-raised homicide detective seconded to the Icelandic police force after an attempt on his life by a drugs cartel in Boston. Magnus immediately becomes involved in a murder investigation after the body of a university professor is found at a summer house by a lake outside Reykjavík. Magnus discovers that two obsessive LORD OF THE RINGS fans, an Englishman and an American, have been negotiating to buy a previously undiscovered ancient saga from the professor – allegedly the saga on which Tolkien's masterpiece was based. Such a saga would be priceless without the Tolkien connection. With it, and with the possibility of the fabled actual ring existing, men could be driven to murder.
Obsessive Lord of the Rings fans driven to murder? huh! I get enough of that at home....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
White-Hand

Agh! Does anyone else sense a Da Vinci Code ripoff novel
(but hopefully not as silly as Dan Brown's stuff).
My theory is an albino did the dirty deed (MURDER!)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This may be a bit off topic but if anyone wants to read a Da Vinci code like book, look up the author Phil Rickman. He is a British author that writes stuff similar to the Da Vinci code but better writing and no silly stuff like albino monks.

Anyway Fire & Ice does sound interesting and good.