The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Letters of JRRT E-book?

Does anybody know if it is possible to obtain the Letters of JRR Tolkien in E-book format? Fantasy fiction isn't all that popular in my country and the bookstores don't stock any Tolkien books other than The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion and Children of Hurin. I'd like to read the Letters but since I can't obtain them in hard copy, I'd settle for an E-book, if any.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
You could order a hard copy from Amazon just as easily as you could download an e-book, though you would have to wait a little longer to read it. If you're hooked on the idea of staring at liquid crystals for hours on end, try doing a search for e-books on Google.com.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Good suggestion, oblo! I order most of the books I want to read in English via internet, as they aren't necessarily available here in German bookstores. Additionally, [mod's voice]we will not allow links to electronic media to be posted on the Downs unless they are legally and freely permitted for downloading.[/mod's voice]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
Does anybody know if it is possible to obtain the Letters of JRR Tolkien in E-book format? Fantasy fiction isn't all that popular in my country and the bookstores don't stock any Tolkien books other than The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion and Children of Hurin. I'd like to read the Letters but since I can't obtain them in hard copy, I'd settle for an E-book, if any.
If you can't get one on Amazon, then eBay always have lots of copies very cheaply - often cheaper than Amazon and much nicer copies, e.g. hardback (though the index is not a revised version by Hammond & Scull and is not as thorough). If you then want an e-copy then you can always scan your own.

However it sounds like you want one not in English? In which case let Downers know your language and I've no doubt someone will share it and might be able to point you in the right direction for a book! Off the top of my head I know we have people who speak German, French, Danish, Finnish, Russian etc so there's a good chance
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

You could also try ordering through your local bookstore, if that's convenient. Going and picking up a book can be a pain, depending on how far away you may live, but it's one suggestion, anyway.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
I'm looking for the English version. I don't buy from e-bay/Amazon because I'd have to pay for it in Dollars/Pounds, and the currency exchange ratio is high so it'd be expensive for me.The Tolkien books available here are older stocks or duty-waived ones so they're cheaper.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
I'm looking for the English version. I don't buy from e-bay/Amazon because I'd have to pay for it in Dollars/Pounds, and the currency exchange ratio is high so it'd be expensive for me.The Tolkien books available here are older stocks or duty-waived ones so they're cheaper.
It certainly would be in Pounds (one of Gordon Brown's better feats of Government ), but in Dollars? They're cheap aren't they? Though it seems like you might have lots of import taxes to pay?

If that's the case I'd recommend scouting round second hand booksellers!