The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Casting The Hobbit?

With all the talk and rumours swirling around The Hobbit, some good, mostly bad/negative. Let's try to think more positively and discuss some actors you'd like to see in the movie(s) and what characters they could play.

I expect some simple sure locks, for example Ian Mckellan as Gandalf, Andy Serkis as Gollum, and Hugo Weaving as Elrond. I really can't picture anyone else doing the part, and I think bringing in 'new faces' would only harm it. I would like to see Ian Holm come back as Bilbo, but I have a feeling that he may be getting too old for the role and a younger actor may be needed.

But how about who could you picture/like to see as Thranduil? Beorn? Bard? The Town Master? The Dwarves? Smaug?...etc

Some ideas that have been swirling around...I would really like to see Jeremy Irons get a part, he's a well accomplished, yet I think under-appreciated actor. I can certainly see him as say Thranduil or the Master...and would indeed like to see him.

Or how about Patrick Stewart as the voice of Smaug? I adore both him and Sir Mckellan in X-men, their voices alone are simply astounding, add that with their acting abilities. If not Mr. Stewart, I think Brian Cox would also be a good fit for Smaug's voice.

I find it a little difficult to get the dwarves down...I think you have to have this gruff toned voice with a bit of stubborness. In which case Robbie Coltrane and Rip Torn can pull off successful dwarves...(whom I really don't know)

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-22-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
An interesting voice for Smaug would be Kiefer Sudderland (Spelling?) or "Jack Bauer" from 24. I can't quite define his voice, but it has that sort of "charm" that I'd expect from Smaug... or maybe that's just me being a huge 24 fan
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This will be controversial..

But I wouldn't want Ian McKellen back... I really didn't find his portrayal exceptional (preferred another Shakespearean knight, Michael Hordern in the radio version ) and hearing his voice inthe trailer for The Da Vinci code ..I just hought "its gandalf talking to Frodo again.." .. may be another Ian ..Ian RIchardson would be interesting.

I think Jeremy Irons would be a good choice for the Master ... . Or how about Rufus Sewell..?

I would have my darling Hugo back as Elrond and wonderful Bill Nighy as Galion the butler.

Jason Isaacs as Thranduil would be wonderful I think and maybe Paul Rhys as Bard the Bowman - though he could be an elf the book does say the Elvenking was golden haired.... if I am not allowed Hugo back, he can be Elrond and Toby Stephens or Hugh Jackman can be Bard.

I am really struggling with Bilbo - I am trying to think of someone who is about the right generation and type .. My best attempt is Michael C Hall who although not a perfect match physically has that wonderful ability to play complex characters sympathetically and believably. I can't think of anyone better to get both the Took and Baggins traits across ... but others may, and get a better physique du role.

Thorin - I would choose Simon Russell Bealehere

Bofur would be Richard Griffiths

Beorn ...is it possible to get beyond Brian Blessed?

Alan Rickman would be fab as voice of Smaug if he could be borrowed from HP

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-23-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Johan Hegg must take time out from his Viking sagas to play the part of Beorn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johan_Hegg.jpg (66.1 KB, 638 views)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
An interesting voice for Smaug would be Kiefer Sudderland~Farael
I fully agree about Kiefer (don't know how to spell his last name either) having a great voice for Smaug. I don't know if you've seen the movie Phone Booth? It wasn't all that great (mainly because it's got Colin Ferell) but that doesn't take away from Kiefer's great performance. For 99% of the movie Kiefer is just the voice in the phone booth talking to Colin, and I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
But I wouldn't want Ian McKellen back... I really didn't find his portrayal exceptional~Mithalwen
When I see Elrond in FOTR I can't stop thinking of Agent Smith, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Mr. Weaving is a great and accomplished actor. You definitely have to see V for Vendetta. That's what happens I think to actors when they star/lead in such ground-breaking movies...when they play in a different movie, you just can't stop thinking about their previous character in a different movie.

When I watched X-men I could not stop thinking of Magdalf and Captain Xacard...but that doesn't take away from the fact that both Mckellan and Stewart are amazing actors with such great and powerful voices.

I mean PJ's first choice for Gandalf was Sam Neil...I love Sam Neil's movies, but he's just not the kind of person I think of as Gandalf...and quite frankly if he got the role, I think Gandalf would have been an awful character. Despite my love for Mr. Neil, I don't think Middle-earth movies are his type of thing...and certainly can't imagine him playing someone like Gandalf.

I do agree with Alan Rickman though...if he could be taken away from the HP movies that is. Besides Sean Bean, he's probably my favorite actor that plays in a wide range of different roles and movies. I guess if Rickman's agent wanted to he could be like Cyclop's (don't know the actors name) agent for the X-men movies...just say forget X-3 you're going to be playing in Superman.

Eomer, oooh love that choice for Beorn.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I fully agree about Kiefer (don't know how to spell his last name either) having a great voice for Smaug. I don't know if you've seen the movie Phone Booth? It wasn't all that great (mainly because it's got Colin Ferell) but that doesn't take away from Kiefer's great performance. For 99% of the movie Kiefer is just the voice in the phone booth talking to Colin, and I know exactly what you mean.
It wasn't really a bad movie.... it was.... interesting. And yeah, he has an awesome voice, I had totally forgotten about that example.

Quote:
When I see Elrond in FOTR I can't stop thinking of Agent Smith, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Mr. Weaving is a great and accomplished actor. You definitely have to see V for Vendetta. That's what happens I think to actors when they star/lead in such ground-breaking movies...when they play in a different movie, you just can't stop thinking about their previous character in a different movie.
That's why all LoTR actors are stuck with their LoTR names... there's a movie by the actor who plays Aragorn (I can't remember his name right now... see?) that's called "Rage" or something like that... first thing my friend said when we saw it at Blockbusters was "That's Aragorn after Arwen left him for Legolas"
Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88

Well with Hugo, I think he is different in each movie, I know he played other parts, as I know Cate Blanchett and Bernard Hill played other parts but it is more wonderment that though I know they are the same actor they are not the same. Alan Rickman is so distinctive but I don't think "Truly, Madly Deeply" (an all time favourite) when he plays Snape. I just feel Gandalf never quite won out over Ian McKellen. Also I heard a few interviews where he was quite snide about Tolkien....grrr , Chances are if PJ does the Hobbit, McKellen will be Gandalf but this is my casting and I am allowed to consider who I would really like to see tackle the role - Jonathan Pryce (another chamaeleon) would be splendid. I saw his Macbeth at Stratford many years ago and it was spellbinding. An he is another of my heart throbs, which Ian McKellen certainly isn't...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I adore Jonathan Pryce, I mean anyone who has seen Brazil will fall in love with the man...no joke. (A movie where if I remember Ian Holm is also in.)
Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
there's a movie by the actor who plays Aragorn (I can't remember his name right now... see?)
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
An interesting voice for Smaug would be Kiefer Sudderland (Spelling?)
Kiefer Sutherland. His father is Donald Sutherland who was in the original movie of M*A*S*H and Ordinary People, among many others. They're both good actors.

I guess I've always thought of Hugh Jackman as Bard. The role would have to be somehow expanded or enhanced, since it's the leading man. You'd probably have to inject a love interest to keep that part of the story moving until Bilbo and company catch up to it.

Casting Beorn is more interesting. You could go with Robbie Coltrane but you'd just end up with Hagrid. Someone else should have a turn. I'll have to think on it. It should be someone wild enough to pull off their part in the final battle.

There are so many dwarves that they would probably end up as a mixture of famous cameos and unknowns. I'd have to re-read the book before answering in order to get them all just right.

Thorin has an air of aristocracy about him. Perhaps Jason Isaacs, who played Malfoy senior in Harry Potter ? Not sure on that one myself, yet.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Having watched Dustin Hoffman promoting his latest film ..I really would love to see him play Thorin, and Simon Russell Beale to do Bombur instead ....

Think about it...

Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
Smaug eh? What about Timothy Dalton?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Is it just me, or does Liev Schreiber look a lot like Ian Holm did when he was young?

There's definitely at least some resemblence there. I think it'd be interesting to see Liev in the Hobbit as the role of a younger Bilbo. And he's a great actor- I always enjoy watching him on screen.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots For someone who claims to be depressed about the potential movie...

...I certainly seem to be spending a lot of time down here recently.

Quote:
Having watched Dustin Hoffman promoting his latest film ..I really would love to see him play Thorin, and Simon Russell Beale to do Bombur instead ....

Think about it...
I did, it made my head hurt.

Thinking about dwarves (which I normally do) somebody in the Beorn thread mentioned Ray Winstone. I think Ray might make an excellent Dori, or maybe Bofur...one of the less serious dwarves. I don't think he'd do for Thorin, or Balin, or Bombur.

A few have mentioned Jeremy Irons from time to time...why not cast him as Thorin?

Balin has me a little perplexed...

Hmmm...speaking of beards...I wonder what Michael Gambon is up to..oh, wait...

Liam Neeson might make an interesting choice for Bard.

I guess somewhere we also need to find a Kili and Fili (or only one of them, likely as not)
Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
heres anew idea ... i think it is atlest ... why not they just have midjets as the dwarves?? wee-man from jack-a$$ would be a good thorin ???
Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I just had an idea for the Master of Laketown.

I'm being perfectly serious about this...how about John Cleese?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
That'd be hilarious!

I find it rather funny that this, the overall casting thread has far less replies than the Beorn-casting thread...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry for that.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #18
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Quote:
With, of course, Prunella Scales and Connie Booth really running Laketown.
Now, if only they could find some cheap help from Dorwinion.

But really, I think Rowan Atkinson would be great
as the voice of Smaug.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Ever since my mind was corrupted by Monty Python I can never see John Cleese benig in even a semi-serious role.

Geoffrey Rush has grown on me. I mean this guy (a long with Johnny Depp) really brought up the performance of Curse of the Black Pearl...and was a sorely missed asset in the 2nd movie. He added so much depth to the 'evil' character of Barbossa that you just don't get to see in a lot of typical bad guys. We see Barbossa's plain out conniving and 'mutinous' side, but also his longing for wanting to get rid of the curse (the apple scene with Keira Knightly was fantastic), and plus his slightly light-hearted comedic side. He wasn't your stereo-typical bad guy and added several dimensions to his character in POTC that you just don't see.

Also, he had a small role in Munich, yet was a good influence in the movie. I haven't seen Quills or Les Miserables, but I've heard these are buy far some of his best movies.

I don't know who he'd be, as he's not really a leading type guy, but good in a support role (or villain). I can perhaps see Beorn being a good fit, or providing the voices for the trolls.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Ever since my mind was corrupted by Monty Python I can never see John Cleese benig in even a semi-serious role.
You must broaden your horizons. He can do an admirable job with more serious roles. Although, I think that the Master role would have potential for comedy, I was envisioning a very subdued brand of humor for the character.

Quote:
Geoffrey Rush
In the name of all dwarves everywhere, I claim him for a dwarf character.

Hey, he might make a good Bombur!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #21
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin
But really, I think Rowan Atkinson would be great
as the voice of Smaug.
Possibly, but don't you perhaps mean Blackadder would be great as the voice of Smaug? On the other hand, perhaps Mr. Bean could do as Bilbo?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #22
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Yes. Picture Black Adder talking sarcastically to Baldric.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

You know who would also make a good dwarf...Bob Hoskins...one of England's top rated actors of all time. He's got a certain gruffness to him (playing as various WWII leaders...Churchill, Mussolini, and Kruschev), yet a playful personality that we see the Dwarves in The Hobbit have. I saw him as Smee in Hook, and fell in love with him.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #24
Texadan
Animated Skeleton

Texadan has just left Hobbiton.
I'd have thought Smaug more a Michael Clarke Duncan voice.
Texadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

I found this rather interesting. During the press conference of The Hitcher, someone had asked Sean Bean if he was asked to play in The Hobbit or one of these 'prequels' that Newline has been talking about Sean replied:
Quote:
"It's very much a creation of Peter Jackson. It's difficult for me to answer that question because I haven't heard about it. It depends on the circumstances, the many, many circumstances. The director, the writing, the whole idea behind it and what they are trying to achieve."
Now whether the questioner knew it or not, Sean could not conceivably come back as Boromir in The Hobbit; he would have to play a different character. This is rather intriguing; eventhough if I'm am almost 100% sure Sean will not be involved in The Hobbit...just interesting to wonder who he could be? This wouldn't be the first time something like this would happen. Afterall Christopher Lee played Lord Summerisle in the 1973 movie The Wicker Man; and in the remake Cowboys for Christ, the same director (Richard Hardy) is back, and has brought back Lee to play Sir Lachlan Morrison this time. Grant it this is over a 30 year difference between the two films, but Lee would still be playing a different character in the remake.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #26
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I think it would be fun if all the actors of LOTR had little cameos in the Hobbit. that would be fun to watch!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #27
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Too Early?

Is it time yet to discuss Dream-Cast/Disaster-Cast picks for The Hobbit? (Or would this be better suited to a thread in Mirth?) I loved those threads for LOTR early on, and miss them. Of course, dream-cast picks would have to be limited to those not already cast in LOTR, in hopes that they'll be able to reprise their roles, but who knows? Allow me to start the fun:

BARD:
Dream Cast: Jeremy Irons
Disaster Cast: Jonathan Frakes

THORIN OAKENSHIELD:
Dream Cast: Christopher Lloyd (I know I'm going to get hate mail for this one)
Disaster Cast: Danny DeVito, or Mini-Me (but you'd save so much on not having to reduce their size via special effects...)

BOMBUR:
Dream Cast: John Hurt (properly made-up, of course)
Disaster Cast: Roseanne Barr

ON-SCREEN SMAUG:
Dream Cast: The WETA SFX team
Disaster Cast: [Edited out for political commentary]

VOICE OF SMAUG:
Dream Cast: Christopher Lee
Disaster Cast: Gilbert Gottfried (look him up on IMDB.com -- possibly the most annoying voice in broadcast history)

You get the idea.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
BARD:
Dream Cast: Jeremy Irons
Disaster Cast: Jonathan Frakes
When I saw Frakes's name here I couldn't help but think of the most obvious disaster-cast for Gandalf: Patrick Stewart! The Siren songs of Homer's mind might've sounded something like Stewart reciting a verse in Quenya.

Jimmy Stewart would be the disaster-cast Bilbo.

JS: "Well, G Wiz, I don't know if I wanna go on an adventure!"

PS: "Nonsense Bilbo! you have my ashurrance that you'll encounter no eeee-ville."

"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 01-29-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #29
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I had to edit out the disaster-cast On-Screen Smaug -- political commentary tends to get incendiery. However, I have discovered the best replacement:

On Screen Smaug
Dream Cast -- The WETA SFX Team
Disaster Cast -- The GEICO gecko!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Númenor

Jimmy Stewart would be the disaster-cast Bilbo.

JS: "Well, G Wiz, I don't know if I wanna go on an adventure!"
Awww apart from being rather tall for a hobbit Jimmy Srweart is too fab to be entirely disastrous - it would just be a rather Different version ..and as people keep telling me different isn't necessarily worse .....

but if we are going down that route, I think Ricky Gervais would be pretty disastrous ...Fact

Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #31
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Ping!

With the actual making of the films now confirmed, I figured that now would be a good time to ping this thread back to the attention of the Downs regulars again.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #32
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Here are some ideas:
Geoffrey Rush - Thorin Oakenshield
James Earl Jones - Smaug
Liam Neeson - Galion the buttler
Jeremy Irons - Master of Laketown
Bill Nighy - Beorn (if he is included)
Ewan Mcgregor - Balin
Robert Carlyle - Great Goblin