The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Most commonly quoted Quote

Middle-Earth is a wonderful world, we all know it. In fact, let's be honest, we're all Middle-Earth freaks, and try to merge ME into the plain old regular Earth as much as we can.
My question is: of all the myriad quotable quotes in Middle Earth, which do you quote most often? There must be one (at least) that is regularly repeated under certain circumstances, and I think it would be interesting to see which lines stand out to us most.

I think my most quoted quote in probably
Quote:
Murderers and Elf-friends.
I'm not sure why, but it sounds like such a lovely curse, and I cannot resist using it whenever somebody even mildly annoys me.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'll tell you one my friend uses a fair bit; most recently when I was dithering over whether to talk to this certain someone:

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.

Unfortunately, he wasn't as persuasive as Gandalf, and regrets were had immediately.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd have to say

Quote:
“What is this new devilry?”
because it's so multi-functional. You can use it to describe a weird looking toy your brother or sister wants, someone's lame criticism of LotR, a new concept you have to learn in math (bah), a horrible movie (Gigli comes to mind), or pretty much anything else worth describing at all.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Mango of Doom
Haunting Spirit

Mango of Doom has just left Hobbiton.
Especially after the film, "What's taters, precious?" I always loved that line
Mango of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am often guilty of saying "Pass the po-tay-toes" at dinner. And at Disneyworld, when we entered a ride we'd yell "Into the miiiiiines!"

Other than that, I don't really quote any one line (from either the books or the movies) all that often -- it's usually just whatever comes immediately to mind.

EDIT: Wait, just thought of one. I sing "Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, etc., etc." simply because it irritates a friend of mine. She loves LotR but finds Mr. Bombadil very annoying.

Last edited by Encaitare; 06-03-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
"You're late" is a very common phrase amongst my group of Tolkien (or PJ-) philes.

I've also used "A wizard is never late, etc." a few times in reply.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm afraid the phrase I've used most is not from the book, but the movie:
Quote:
If you want it (/them/whatever), come and claim it!
Very versatile, especially useful when telling someone far away of something I have - freshly baked cookies, for example...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

The word preciousss is a wonderful addition to any statement.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:30 AM   #9
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Ah, yes...

I used to often quote "What is this new devilry?" too. It is indeed adaptable to thousands, nay, millions of situations.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:53 AM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For me it's got to be "second breakfast" because I have it at least five times a week. And "preciousss" is quite commonly used, mainly to the cat. I say "taters" all the time because that's what I call 'em anyway. I often look for opportunites to say "it's got crumbs on it's jacketses" too.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

What really scares other people is when you shout "Nazgul!" really loudly, and run through the streets in a crazed manner.

Very funny.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #12
Larien Telemnar
Wight

Larien Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Larien Telemnar Send a message via MSN to Larien Telemnar Send a message via Yahoo to Larien Telemnar
HAHA! I'm gonna have to try that Eomer!

I always end up either thinking or singing "The road goes ever on and on". I also like to say to myself "Fool of a Took!" When I've done something foolish, like stubbing my toe or throwing a skeleton down a well, or a rock.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
well mine would most obviously be "Now Now dont be hasty"(said in entish voice as well for added effect)

Then "Ill news is Ill guessed" (I dont use it often but I caught myself using it as te manager called me into her offfice
Old 06-06-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
"Ill news is Ill guessed"
It's "Ill news is an ill guest."

I like to quote Eomer's movie-line: "Warmongering???" ... just because it's said with such drama and incredulity.

Quote:
I always end up either thinking or singing "The road goes ever on and on".
Oh, I say that, too! Whenever we're driving a long distance or someone so much as mentions a road, usually. Then I can say, "You know, the road goes ever on and on" in a very matter-of-fact tone.

I guess I quote a lot more than I realize.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #15
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Well, "the road goes ever on..." does appear to be popular. I've been known to sing it often on my amblings.

I also have to agree about the addition of "precioussss" to any sentence instantly making it more interesting.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
How could I miss the obvious?

"You shall not pass!"

Very useful for annoying little siblings, although that isn't its sole purpose.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I always like to say "Fisssssshhh" when my family is having salmon for dinner. Similar to Eomer shouting "Nazgul!" in public, I find it quite fun to shout "Elendil!" at random people in the park and then charge at them. Unfortunately, my brother seems to regard this as embarrassing and generally prevents me from doing it.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 06-06-2005 at 07:26 PM. Reason: *Gasp!* Forgot an exclamation point! ;)
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Don't be put off by the 'normals'.

Another favourite of mine can be used whenever someone is late, namely: "You're late." said in the manner of Frodo.

Particularly good when the other person can then quote Gandalf. Of course, Gandy's reply is fairly long-winded and thus annoys everyone else, but the two of you will find it very amusing.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #19
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
one i did use for about a week or so was "Mur-der-rer", when Gollum and Smeagol were bickering about...
Old 06-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #20
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
"You shall not pass!"

That has to be the one I use most often.... Though "What have I got in my pocket?" is another favorite of mine.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #21
Vinyacoriel
Haunting Spirit

Vinyacoriel has just left Hobbiton.
For me, (eventhough it's not in either of the books or movies, but is lotr related) I always say, "What in (Arda/Middle-earth/Mordor)?!?!" I find that i usually do use precioussss a lot (especially in context to my cat) and then, a while back, when someone wanted in my room, i would say, "speek friend, and enter." and if they did not say 'mellon' i would not let them into my room (without a fight, that is) I would keep yelling, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #22
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't vocalize this but I quote to myself Gandalf saying "can you give it to them then don't be so hasty...."

It makes me stop and think before I make judgement.

Though actual vocalization of quotes would be the Gollum sound for my daughter don't know how much she likes it but it's fun. Fact is I probably don't sound much like Gollum at all
Old 06-17-2005, 07:55 AM   #23
Bywaters
Haunting Spirit

Location: Tengiz, Kazahstan for 6 wks, then home for 2 wks. Blimey
Bywaters has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bywaters
Pipe

"I'd give anything for a whiff of Old Toby" and "Longbottom Leaf: the finest pipeweed in the Shire" are phases oft said in the office when it is time for us dirty smokers to go out for a cigarette break.

"Your love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind" is also a phase used regularly.

I also get called "a fool of a took" quite a lot, but they dont know!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:26 AM   #24
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I use 'fool of a Took' quite a lot as it is such a great insult, not too mean but so fun to say!

I also sing Sam's oliphaunt song whenever we go to the zoo, though I do have to make up some sections as I can never remember it all.

Adding 'precioussss' to the end of sentences is amusing, especially if you do it near people who have either never read/seen LotR as they simply think you are slightly crazed.

Also I say 'hannon le' for thank you and 'mae govannen' for nice to meet you but they aren't really quotes as such.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #25
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

White Tree

I do often sing little songs from the LotR to myself as I'm walking along (yo my own tunes). I memorised the whole of the Song of the Ent and Entwife once... forgot it again though.

Sometimes I'll say "Aure entuluva" to myself when I'm slightly annoyed at modern life, though I don't usually voice it.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #26
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Implied quotes.

Aside from using quotes most of you have already mentioned, I also use Shadowfax's famous line when I plow through the ranks of humanity trying to come between me and home (and Naruto, but that's a given.)

C'mon, I know you know what I'm talking about.

Neigh!
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:47 AM   #27
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I say 'Don't tempt me, Frodo!' whenever any of my friends call to go out and I should stay home and get some work done, or any lovely vices that will take the place of duties!

And with Lalwende, I call mid morning snack 'second breakfast', it seems more natural.

'And not for the last time' from The Hobbit , on any occasion when I know I will think of something or do something many times.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #28
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
I call mid morning snack 'second breakfast'
Here in Germany, the mid-morning snack is actually called "second breakfast"! We must be hobbits after all...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 AM   #29
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm quite guilty of stating that we're having "ta-mah-toes, sausages, and nice crispy bacon", whether we are or not... which come to think of it is odd, because I hate sausage and I'm only tolerant of bacon on a cheeseburger.
If there is a no-passing sign on the road, I can't help but say in a completely serious voice... "You shall not pass."

Random wisps of cloud get the crebain-from-Dunland treatment, and "What is this new devilry?" is as much a part of my vocabulary as "What the heck is that thing?".

The Frodo-accented "You're late." is a bit of a given, really, as most of my friends have a bitterly life-long war waged with punctuality.

I've also muttered "Nirnaeth Arnoediad" on a few occasions... not because it applied at all to the situation, but more because it's terribly fun to say.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #30
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I use "Fool of a Took" extensively, because I call my sister that every time she's being weird, getting on my nerves, or I just want to irritate her. It's almost become her nickname!

Beyond that, both my sister and I say "Get off the road!". I'm not sure why, but it just fits, especially when you're walking and a car is coming. It's so perfect.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #31
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

When sleepy, I have a disposition to say in a sing-song voice: "And NOW to bed! And NOW to bed!"

And now to bed...
Old 07-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #32
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This was just pointed out to me today but I have an increasing tendency to slip into Gollum mode when asking questions, not when just talking though.

For example instead of asking what are you doing I'll go what's it doing - and often leave the preciouss off the end so it just ends up sounding odd. I'm gonna have to try and cut it out!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM   #33
Princess Ai

Tolkien

this quote is really fun to yell at people who dont know bunches about LOTR.

''ISHKA KWI AI DURUGNUL!!!!"

getting odd looks can be fun.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:54 PM   #34
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I just thought of another.

"That doesn't make sense to me... but then you are very small."

It's hilarious.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #35
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
''ISHKA KWI AI DURUGNUL!!!!"
I still haven't discovered what Gimli is saying...

I'd have to say
Quote:
Stupid fat hobbit! It ruins it!
and
Quote:
My precious...
of course. Though
Quote:
What is this new devilry?
is one of my favorites.

Nim

Last edited by Nimrodel_9; 07-23-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #36
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
I still haven't discovered what Gimli is saying...
I looked it up; "Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul" = "I spit on your grave."
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 AM   #37
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Thank you Enca! If I ever work out how to say that I will certainly use it.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #38
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Anyone remember the Fellowship trailer? It featured Aragorn and Gandalf on Caradhras with this exchange:

"He's trying to bring down the mountain! Gandalf, we must turn back!"

"NO!"

Now, funny thing is: Gandalf doesn't actually shout; he just says 'no' quite normally. But for some reason, my friends and I think it's very funny to scream it as loudly as possible. So whenever there is snow, we re-enact the scene, much to the bewilderment of passers-by.

Also, on nights out, when you invariably spill a drink on yourself and get your hands messy, you have to utter "It's sticky!" in a rabbit-caught-in-headlights voice.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #39
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Hah, Gandalf says "no" in many interesting ways... another way was in the scene where he catches Sam spying:

Sam: Don't turn me into anythin'... unnatural!
Gandalf: Noooooooooo?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #40
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Speaking of 'No's, Nilp and I are trying to collect many possible ways of saying 'No.' Needless to say, most of these come from the LotR movies. Gandalf and Frodo seem to love the word too much.

I remember one night I was goofing off with a friend in the middle of a driveway in our school campus when a vehicle passed by. We cried 'Noooooo!' to each other in this really Frodo-in-Moria-ish way thinking one of us might get hit by the car. That was fun.

On a more serious note, I've always liked how the phrase 'looks foul but feels fair' applies to a great many things. But in contrast, it's sad that it seems more things 'look fair but feel foul.'
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote