The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Middle Earth Murals

Sorry, ops, if this is too similar to another decorating/merchandise topic, but I wish only to cover this particular aspect.

I was wondering if anyone had painted a mural on their wall of a Middle Earth scene, preferably a map of Middle Earth. I was planning to do a separate mural on all 4 walls of my room, and one will be a map. But I was wondering if anyone had done this and had any tips or could just tell me if it is easy or not.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions for the other three? I haven't thought much on them yet, but I thought perhaps Lothlorien, or the inside of Bag End.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:43 PM   #2
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never done that, but I have painted sets etc. One of the tricks of the trade is to get your hands on a transparency and a projecter, and either draw your image on there or syply print off the image from your computer or something. Then you just stick the transperancy on and copy the image lightly with pencil and then fill it in with paint. It makes it much easier because it is hard to see the whole wall at a time while drawing. Hope that helps. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2003, 05:53 AM   #3
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I want to do a mural in my back garden. The problem is, the walls are not very soft, they are more gritty than soft. Or so my mum says anyway! I am going to persuade her...hehe
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

That sounds so nice! I think I will make paint a Mural on my bedroom wall!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #5
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Problem is, if i did it it would probably turn out looking like a....well..anything apart from the thing its supposed yo look like.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

But that's why Arwen Imladris' tip is so good, Phervasaion. You don't need any talent of your own to trace it on your wall! That's a very good idea...perhaps I should try it.

Thanks Meela. You know a nice sceen idea might be to paint the outside of the hobbit hole, with the round door open, and looking inside Bag End. That would be a neat visual trick. It might make your room seem larger!
Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's really great I never thought of that, using a transparancy that is. Excellent idea esspecially if you want to do a map.

If you do go through with this I'd love to see pictures.

I suppose the most difficult thing for a landscape would be perspective. It may be better to do the gridding od.

First draw out your landscape/mural on a paper and then grid it using a ruler and any scale you want (1 inch by 1 inch squares for example..) then on your wall use a pencil to grid larger squares keeping them all in porportioon with your drawing on your paper (same number of squares..)

Then it is easier to draw in "pieces" of it and you basically look at each square or a few squares and draw them on your wall making sure all the lines cross the squares on your wall the same place they do on your paper.

I am sorry if that sounds confusing, I hope you somewhat understand what I said.

Hope I helped a bit too!

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:28 PM   #8
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

That sounds so great! I would totaly paint my walls in murals of Lothlorien, Rivendell, Mirkwood, and Mordor or a map, but I can't because I share a room with my three year old sister and we have a "Teddy bear tea party" theme thing going on [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Guess it'll just have to wait....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #9
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

too bad about your sis!!! Sorry!

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #10
Laiquendi
Animated Skeleton

Laiquendi has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yay murals rock!!!!!!!!! i have the doors of moria on my wall and on my ceiling i'm starting to design some sort of mirkwood/rivendell/lorien scene

I amar prestar aen, Han mathon ne nen, Han mathon ne chae, A han noston ned wilith.
Laiquendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

You have the doors of Moria too? Neato! I have the inscription so far. I would do the whole door but I'm reluctant to replace my cartoon Gandalf yelling "You shall not pass".
I keep on adding more and more pictures. The other day I bought another poster- of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli in their various battle poses. At this rate my chances of gaining wall space for a mural are zero

Last edited by Meela; 09-12-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:11 AM   #12
Laiquendi
Animated Skeleton

Laiquendi has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yeah i have moria...... silver outline on a blue background.... i'll take a photo when they're finished

I amar prestar aen, Han mathon ne nen, Han mathon ne chae, A han noston ned wilith.
Laiquendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:55 PM   #13
[PiPPiN]

Silmaril

I'm painting a map of middle earth on my wall when i get back from ontario this summer [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:42 PM   #14
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am thinking of doing something like that when I get into my own house. I would love to have a room that is based on the interior of Bag End. Wouldn't that be cool, it would be so warm and cozy, and I would especially love to have a fire place and on the walls I would use that one effect to paint windows that look like they are looking out on to the Shire.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #15
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I am drawing pictures on my cupboard's other side but those pictures have nothing to do with LotR . Only if you look really deeply and think of some relation with LotR . But I really enjoy doin' that . [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
But you could draw one wall with a sight of the Shire , one with a sight of Lorien and the last with a sight of Mordor or somethin' like that . Or you can just try painting some sceenes from the book or the movie .
Old 06-06-2003, 08:27 PM   #16
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Pipe

Murals of Middle Earth, totally cool! I want to do one, what kind of paint do you guys and girls recommend? I painted a mural in my classroom of the Amazon, and I used the projector and transparenty, and it worked really well. Also I want to see pictures of these murals after there finished, i bet there great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:22 PM   #17
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The only thing I have done was inscribe (in a hurry) the word 'Friends' in Tengwar into a cement curb. It remained for 25 years before being destroyed by the school's rennovation.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #18
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Well, I don't have my mural. Yet. But we are hopefully going to move and when we do...my walls are going to have elements from all of the fantasy that I like.

Door: Doors of Durin
Walls: one forest, one sea, one in the sky, and one with a city (I haven't decided which just yet.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:01 PM   #19
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am in the midst of painting a mural on the inside of my closet right now. You see, I get made fun of by everyone I know, even my family, for liking LOTR. I came up with an idea to keep my obsession with Tolkien, without making it public. So inside my closet I am painting Middle Earth. I am doing a landscape of the Shire on one wall which fades into the forest of Lothlorien on the next wall which fades into the Misty Mountains or the Anduin on the next which will fade back into the Shire. That way I can enjoy Middle Earth as much as I want without being hassled all day for being a fanatic. I haven't actually started painting it yet, because I have to buy the paints first, but I will have it done before ROTK comes out. That's my deadline point.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #20
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A mural? What a great idea! Except my artistic talents are sleeping soundly lately...Arwen Imladris, that is a great suggestion about projection--I have done that once before to create an ink drawing of a street scene. It worked pretty well! I've never tried it on a wall, though! One thing I'd love to have on my wall would be either the standard of Gondor or an image of the Two Trees of Valinor, or maybe the standard of Fëanor, done up like a hex sign on the outside of my house...heh heh! Those round repeating designs do remind me of hex signs, you know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Actually, I'd like Pippin's Gondor armor (and Pippin too, if we're getting down to that! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

OK, I have so many desired artworks from LOTR and the Silmarillion that I can't choose even one, and simply change my wallpaper on my computer frequently...last week it was Luthien on Huan, this week Frodo at the Ford...next week, who knows? I suppose that's the real reason I haven't done a mural. I'd want to change it too often!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:34 AM   #21
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmm...a mural, interesting idea. I don't think I'd dare, although I'm not bad at art I know I'd go wrong somewhere and even if it did go OK I'd be lying in bed looking at it and thinking 'that tree is a bit demented, and that paintwork there is kind of splodgy'. I'm odd like that. I lie there and look at things that need to be re-hung or dusted and it irritates the hell out of me.
My mum would probably shake her head at me as well if I announced that I was painting an ME mural. When she found my elvish word list she accused me of being a geek (*indignation*) and I already have two fair-sized posters up.
But the closet doors idea...interesting. I'd do it, but sadly I don't actually have a wardrobe.