The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Verily my compassion overcometh my wrath. Who are YOUR famous five?

Right so basically, of all the characters in ME. Who are your favourite five?

It doesn't have to be justified; which characters do you feel the most compassion or favouritism towards? I think it will be interesting to see the juxtaposition between the different characters mentioned. Furthermore, it will be difficult name only five, or so i feel anyway!

Ecthelion
Cirdan
Bilbo
Fingolfin
Balin
Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Compassion awards go to:

Beleg (Strongbow)
Faramir
Beregond

But the favorites?
Samwise
Gandalf

Disclaimer: Being fond of a host of others, the list may be subject to change daily!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I think Eowyn would make a good 'George', Aragorn is probably the ideal 'Julian', Pippin could be 'Dick', Luthien, 'Anne', & Huan as 'Timmy' ('Timmeh!)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Pippin could be 'Dick'
Going by the film portrayal, i whole heartedly agree :P
Old 08-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Well, I think Eowyn would make a good 'George', Aragorn is probably the ideal 'Julian', Pippin could be 'Dick', Luthien, 'Anne', & Huan as 'Timmy' ('Timmeh!)
I'm confused. This sounds sarcastic, but it goes totally by me. (If anyone would like to explain it, I'd be much obliged.)

As for my five...

Fingon
Faramir
Frodo
Sam
Yavanna(Do Valar count?)

It's been a while since I read the Silm. so there might be more in there that I like as much or more then the LotR characters I mentioned.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
I'm confused. This sounds sarcastic, but it goes totally by me. (If anyone would like to explain it, I'd be much obliged.)

As for my five...

Fingon
Faramir
Frodo
Sam
Yavanna(Do Valar count?)

It's been a while since I read the Silm. so there might be more in there that I like as much or more then the LotR characters I mentioned.
Everyone counts dude.

I do believe the reference davem made was to Enid Blyton's "The Famous Five", it was abit before my time but it does ring a bell
Old 08-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

My favourite five...

as if you can't tell from my posts...

Boromir

and the rest...

Faramir
Pippin
Merry
Eomer
Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up Somebody has to break the line

As it was said here, it is hard to choose only a few characters. But five is quite a large number, so perhaps I'll be able to pick those I like the most.

In alphabetical order. I like them all the same.

Galadriel
Saruman
Tuor
Uglúk
Ulmo

What a nice company, isn't it?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Only five is hard but.....

Idril Overlooked but surely the most admirable of Tolkien's heroines. Brave, beautiful, resourceful and forward thinking, she manages to marry her mortal beau without upsetting Daddy and thanks to her at least some of the Gondolindrim survive. Tolkiens deifies the brunettes but his blondes are so much more interesting - and have more fun. I love Eowyn and Galadriel too but I must choose only 5...)

Faramir Mr Wonderful Just perfect

Finrod Greater love hath no elf..... his death was unbearable

Elrond His history encompasses so much of the history and sorrow of the elves and at great personal cost he sees out his role in Middle Earth.

Merry Always my favourite hobbit and with his love of ale, pipeweed and scholarly inclinations he reminds me a bit of the Prof..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ring Here they come, but in no particular order...

Maedhros - Though he's a hero and an admirable person, he has his flaws and that's what I like a lot. Characters that are too good annoy me. Maedhros is wise, brave, a good leader and thoughtful. And I don't know why, but proud and short-tempered characters - if they're not too proud or too short-tempered - always intrigue me. I like Maedhros's personality and I love it how he's the balancing force so often, trying to cool down his little brothers and negotiate with the other Noldo leaders. Furthermore, the scenes of burning of the ships of Alqualondë and Fingon rescuing Maedhros are both among my favourites in the Silmarillion.

Galadriel - She's gorgeous. Wise and powerful and more than a match to the males of her time. Not some whining, passive beauty who at most gives advice to her father/brother/husband, like so many of Tolkien's women. Galadriel is a strong-willed and intelligent woman who does things herself and is capable of many things. She's proud but not pompous and she can observe and stay in the background if she chooses to. And, of course, there's that very cool mirror of hers...

Théoden - I love his gentleness. Though he has lived through horrible times, he has lost so many close to him and he is rresponsible of the future of his people, he has not become harsh nor lost his good heart. Théoden is a wise and valiant man and his sense of humour just rocks. I guess he's the kind of person who everybody would love to have as their grandfather, or if one lived in Rohan, as their king.

Gandalf - I think he hasn't been appreciated enough lately. Mostly we see him only as "the big wizard". It pains me sometimes. He's a great personality! I absolutely love his sense of humour and his sharp tongue. He's wise and compassionate, but to balance things he's quite short-tempered. He's an awesome guy, eh?

Boromir - He's one of those achingly human characters in the books. Of course it is wrong of him to try to take the ring from Frodo. But you can see his reasons for it and understand him. Something in his personality and charisma greatly impresses me. He's one of those people of whom you could say "he's a great man". He's noble and brave and he has that fault of short-temper that seems to intrigue me. And his death is just something so heroic and beautiful.

But why just five? I would have loved to include at least Beorn, Balin, Merry, Melian, Finrod, Beleg, Morwen, Húrin, Ulmo, Bard and Haleth as well, but....

Last edited by Thinlómien; 06-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

1. Smeagol (Smeagol lives and precious is with him)
2. Samwise (the best friend, one could wish for)
3. Bilbo (i liked him since my father red the hobbit to me when i was 6, liked him better in "the hobbit", than in lotr)
4. Saruman (i do not know why, but i like him)
5. The Gaffer (reminds me of our neighbour)
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
Pipe

Frodo - as he portrays human nature...no matter how far we go and how hard we try, often enough we fall so many times

Sam - for being the friend that we should all strive to be

Elrond - as said before his story encompasses so much of the History of ME.

Smeagol - as he shows that no matter how despised and how much we hate someone...we cannot count out that they may yet have a role to play.

Aragorn - it was something i read in another book, its the ones that dont look for leadership or power that often are the Greatest leaders
Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
Master Morgoth

Morgoth
Celebrimbor
Bilbo
Feanor
Luthien
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My Favourate Characters are:
Samwise Gamgee "Samwise the Brave"
Peregrin Took "Pippin"
Meriadoc Brandybuck "Merry"
Bilbo Baggins "Mad Baggins"
Lobela Sackville-Baggins- I like her because she stood up against the ruffians in the scouring of the Shire
I also like Smeagol but not Gollum.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1. Frodo, for reasons that are probably obvious to everyone here.

2. Sam, for reasons that are probably obvious to everyone here.

3. Hurin. I just admire his last stand: he knows that he is doomed, the only one alive, and surrounded by Morgoth's hosts, yet he somehow finds the strength and will to take up an axe and more or less go crazy, hacking up pretty much everything he can find before finally being subdued by a mountain of bodies on top of him, numerous hands still grasping him, and the Balrogs. Say what you will about your Saurons and Elronds, but to me Hurin is more outstanding, despite his mortal self.

4. Gandalf. He's calm, collected, wise, brave, and friendly. He also shows emotion, ranging from joyful to grim, feeling like a regular person instead of the stern, angel-winged being you'd expect from someone with his origins. There's just something I like about Gandalf.

5. The Witch-King. In LOTR and the Sil, Sauron and Morgoth were always distant figures who hid behind their armies and were afraid. The Witch-King, however, felt like a powerful evil that sought you out and acted by his own hands, whether it be hunting for the One Ring or assaulting Minas Tirith. He bested the Kingdom of Arnor with (at first) the small, frigid realm of Angmar, did so in a relatively short (compared to Morgoth's campaigns) period of six-hundred years, and his victory was a sound one: there was no army to swoop in and save the day, no Valinor or Rohan on the horizon. Arnor was bested and no more. When Angmar fell, he just moved South, made Minas Morgul, and started assaulting Gondor. When Gandalf told him to leave the gates of Minas Tirith, he merely laughed and insulted Gandalf. Finally, even though his end wasn't brought about by the Ring's destruction or in a "fair" sword fight, the Witch-King still felt powerful and nearly unstoppable, feelings I certainly didn't get from the losses of Morgoth and Sauron. Besides, a sword wreathed in fire and eyes to match it just sounds awesome.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Faramir - believable nobility.

Frodo - amazing strength of will, ability to realize what's really going on in the black heart and mind of Sméagol, and compassion.

Eowyn - courageous even in despair.

Galadriel - formidable, beautiful, wise & sorrowing.

Sam - simple, loyal, courageous.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Lady_Arwen
Newly Deceased

Lady_Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Top 5
-Arwen
-Aragorn
-Eowyn
-Gandalf
-Galadriel

Okay, the best 2 characters EVER in history are Arwen and Aragorn.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
Wanderer of Light
Pile O'Bones

Wanderer of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Wanderer of Light
Túrin I'm absolutely sure Túrin is my number 1, I often recognize myself in him. I also like his Nicknames .
Tom Bombadil I just love him , he's the ultimate tree-hugging hippie
Gandalf I always love the old wize wizard guy.
Elrond kinda the same for him......
Tuor dunno actually... long time ago since I red any books about the first age (doing a couple of non-Tolkien related books right now, gonna read 'The Lay Of Beleriand' after that)
^ Joannis 11:25
Wanderer of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 AM   #19
Narawen_Eluchil
Newly Deceased

Narawen_Eluchil has just left Hobbiton.
My favorites would be:

1.Aragorn
2.Arwen
3.Eomer
4.Faramir
5.Luthien
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #20
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Boromir - He's one of those achingly human characters in the books. Of course it is wrong of him to try to take the ring from Frodo. But you can see his reasons for it and understand him. Something in his personality and charisma greatly impresses me. He's one of those people of whom you could say "he's a great man". He's noble and brave and he has that fault of short-temper that seems to intrigue me. And his death is just something so heroic and beautiful.
The ultimate personification of human nature (the good and the evil) are in him! His breaking the oath to protecting Frodo is just a matter of evaluation--which is more important to him, the Elven advice or his daddy's city? For him, before he fully understood things, or rather when lapses occurred, the Elves and especially Elrond and the bloke Aragorn do not realize the threats of Mordor and the stuff he perceived the boost that the Ring can give. Ah well. Can we really blame him for this? The thing that got me though was that he had to die. Maybe because Tolkien wanted the guys with the stain of "evil" in their hearts to die? look at Feanor, Gollum, Turin, all those tragic heroes.

2. Feanor

The most talented and greatest of the Noldor, but... pride and temper is his downfall. I sympathize with that. Great minds, some blokes at school say, are often misunderstood. True for Feanor. And you see that he's no typical 'good boy'--on the contrary, he's the guy that will go to all ends to get what he wants.

3. Luthien

Love conquers all for this girl, even to the point of challenging Hell. Ah well. She fell in love. Sometimes that really happens. (and the fact that she and her lover were able to do what the forces of the Noldor and the Sindar could not do.)

4. Eowyn

Unlike Arwen who sat at home doing her embroidery or whatever she did to finish the banner, Eowyn chose to ride to death when she got rejected by the man she thought she loved. Despair, and pride. I love characters with pride. But at some point after the end, I got a little wacked because she chose the gentle guy. At first I thought she was going to be a Valkyrie or something.

5. Turin???

But not that much. He's like Oedipus, damned if he does this, damned if he doesn't. Poor bloke. But you got to admit that some of the stuff were his fault. Maybe not the death of Beleg, but the fall of Nargothrond. (And you gotta admit to o that Orodreth was stupid to listen to a mere mortal against the advices of a god's messengers.) Nienor was certainly not his fault, but... hah. He mistook the instinctive love for a sister for a wifely devotion!

Poor Hurin! Watching his kids getting more and more wretched, what could he have felt?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #21
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
In no particular order...

Ecthelion
Tuor
Earendil
Fingon
Maedhros
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boromir
I agree with everything said about him. It really wasn't his fault that he got tempted by the Ring and tried to take it from Frodo. He represented the other side of the coin among the Fellowship: he was there mainly because he was returning to his own country, but he helped them anyway - and died along the way.
It must been heavy for him to submit to Aragorn: Aragorn was the leader of the Fellowship after Gandalf's death, the rightful heir of Gondor's throne etc., but Boromir managed anyway, and even respected him.

It was a terrible pity that Boromir died, but what else could have happened to him? He tried to take the Ring from Frodo, and would have been ashamed for it for the rest of his life, had he still lived. Would he have been able to face Frodo after that? Anyway, he made amends for his deed by trying to save Merry and Pippin (Tolkien seemingly forgave him that he had had to try to take the Ring); he didn't die as one of those bad fellows.
Furhermore, he's proud, attractive, valiant, noble... What more can a woman ask for?

Saruman
One of the saddest moments in Lotr is when they meet Saruman on the road. He's so... defeated, but still full of pride and anger. And they treat him really unjustly. Even though he sent his armies against Rohan and whatever, he doesn't deserve to be scorned like that.

It's his power and intelligence that I like most - and that voice! I must confess I've always almost wished Gandalf hadn't rejected his offer to join him. Poor Saruman! Why are the Wizards always being so mean to each other?

Tom Bombadil
Old Tom Bombadil - he's such a merry fellow, and my first favourite character ever. Living in a house in the middle of forest. Independent and powerful. Sympathetic.
And I just loved the Adventures of Tom Bombadil. He's so funny and sharp-tongued.

Eärendil
Certainly one of the most wonderful characters in Tolkien's mythology. He brought hope to Men and Elves and became a star. Now that's beautiful. And he came from the sky and slew Ancalagon in the War of Wrath.
It was both comfortable and a little sad when Amandil referred to Eärendil in Akallabêth ("... and that I shall show you no such sign as Eärendil showed long ago."). It's so clear there will never be someone other like him - not in Middle-earth.
I haven't read that many fantasy books, but I dare guess having a character with much resemblance to Eärendil would be too obvious plagiarism. At least I hope so.

Fingolfin
He challenged Melko to a duel even though was sure to lose. And look how he treated Fëanor although he was being so, well, unfriendly. I wish my little brothers were as devoted and kind to me.
He was the greatest king of the Noldor ever (though he, too, suffered from a certain kind of folly, which seems to be in the genes of the House of Finwë). The most proud and most valiant.

There are so many others I could have included; Maeglin, Maglor, Tuor, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Old Man Willow, Thorin Oakenshield, Eöl... (Am I cheating or something? It was supposed to list five, I have 12.) Actually, Fingolfin could be replaced by any of those.

It would be interesting to find even one list I've made as a child - I can clearly remember writing several top5 lists of the characters of the Lotr, Sil etc., but I've no idea anymore who were included in the lists.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #23
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
It would be interesting to find even one list I've made as a child - I can clearly remember writing several top5 lists of the characters of the Lotr, Sil etc., but I've no idea anymore who were included in the lists.
Can't resist to post this here. You have given me a "have nice summer" -card when you were 12, and your top list (to which you refer as the final one ) is as follows:

1. Gimli
2. Boromir
3. Éomer
4. Denethor
5. Pippin
6. Finrod
7. Fëanor
8. Eöl
9. Eorl the Young
10. Saruman

So both different and alike.

I wish I could find mine... I had loads of them too. I think I still have some notebooks in which I've listed those but I'd first have to find those notebooks which might prove quite a difficult task given how unorganised person I am...

~*~

I think it's very interesting to look at who people name as their favourites. Ecthelion, who is only briefly mentioned in the Silmarillion (and UT? but I know he's in Lost Tales, but still) has gathered mentions from as much as two people. Also, some members of the Fellowship, Legolas and Gimli, have gathered no mentions this far. I find it odd in a way. I like them both, but neither belongs to my absolute favourites. I wonder if it's just that other people feel the same way, or are there real Legolas&Gimli -haters around?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Reviving this thread

This is an interesting topic, I'd like to see some of the newer people post in here and see what they think.

Dain II Ironfoot
A truly remarkable ma... er, I mean dwarf! A natural leader, he led his people to great prosparity ever since the battle of Azanulbizar! The last great leader of the dwarves in my opinion, I absolutely loved his fareness with the treasure of the Lonely Mountain, any lesser dwarf would have kept it and started another great war. I loved, and was sad at the same time, that he died with his boots on in the the battle of the Dale defending the body of his ally King Brand at the age of 236! A true King fighting for his people and leading them unto his last breath. Here's to you Dain II, the last great dwarf king!

Gandalf
He reminds me of a grandfather looking after his children. He is so unselfish in sacrificing himself, and sometimes others, all for the purpose of defeating Sauron. I love it when he sits down and starts recounting tales of long years past. Here's to the selfless and ultimate Loremaster!

Gimli
A dwarf that did what few dwarves could be capable of doing, becoming friends with an elf. I love his dedication that he gives to his friends. A typical dwarf would think first of his people before seeking to help people of other races, but Gimli followed his mission through to the end helping people that dwarves would generally be unconcerned about. Here's to the loyal Gimli!

Faramir
Wiser and quieter than his brother, Faramir strikes me as a great philosipher rather than a soldier. His wisdom certainly saved Frodo and Sam's quest, the right man in the right place at the right time. Here's to the noble Faramir!

Frodo
The greatly underestimated hobbit from Bagshot Row! His sacrifice was the ultimate test of courage, to lose everything and anything that he loved. Leaving his home on a quest that would probably seal his doom, and would seal the fate of Middle Earth. The weight of something so great on something so small is remarkable in itself, but to actually have him succeed is an even greater wonder! Here's to the resiliant and brave Frodo Baggins!

There are around three others that I'd like to mention, but it's only suppose to be five characters.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 05-31-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #25
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm going to go for some more obscure characters:

(in no particular order)

Tom Bombadil
Hurin
Ulmo
Cirdan
Aghan?

(if I can't have the last one, as he's just a myth, then I'll replace him with Sam, who has always been my favourite character in LOTR, after Tom Bombadil, of course)

But if sticking to LOTR:

Tom (Again)
Sam
Old Gandy
Faramir
The Gaffer
Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
which characters do you feel the most compassion or favouritism towards?

Compassion and favoritism being two quite different things... at the moment, I am on a humor kick.

Eomer's humor just kills me. As does Boromir's. And, Aragorn's. And, Frodo's. "I don't carry water in my pockets." Rofl.

One more. Since I am listing my humor favorites today... Who else do I think terribly funny?

Okay, this is a group award. I know, I know, but you'll see why. The Roll-Roll-Roll-Rolling elves from The Hobbit, and, the Tra-la-la-lally elves from The Hobbit. Have you HEARD the Tra-La-La-Lally version from "The Hobbitons"? Ya HOBBIT! Hilarious. Sounds like the tipsy guy is about to laugh himself out of his tree. Great stuff.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #27
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Maedhros
Hurin
Feanor
Fingon
Gimli

I'm always surprised how rarely in topics like this Fingon is mentioned. The deeds he accomplished were really impressive, such as rescuing Maedhros and when he and his Horse Archers sent Glaurung packing, just before the beginning of the 'Long Peace'.
Maedhros_the_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #28
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh yes, I forgot Finrod (Felagund)

Last edited by Eönwë; 06-04-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros_the_Tall View Post
Maedhros

I'm always surprised how rarely in topics like this Fingon is mentioned. The deeds he accomplished were really impressive, such as rescuing Maedhros and when he and his Horse Archers sent Glaurung packing, just before the beginning of the 'Long Peace'.

Dude, numerous other guys did a lot as well. Take Aragorn. He spent decades helping the free peoples and in that time destroyed Umbar's fleet. Then look at all the stuff he did in LOTR!!! Walking the paths of the Dead isn't an everyday job.

My favorites are:

1) Beleg (that line "friend of friends" give me the shivers down the spine)
2) Turin
3) Finrod Felagund
4) Boromir
5) Morgoth (He rocks!!! Mwuhahahahaha!!!!!!)
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #30
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Oh I'm not taking away from the deeds of others, I'm just surprised that, in a debate such as this, especially when people name five characters each, how infrequently someone like Fingons' name comes up!
Maedhros_the_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #31
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
I see your point.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #32
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, my favorite of all Tolkien's characters has always been

1). Gandalf,

so that's one. From LotR, I have also long been fond of

2). Frodo and
3). Aragorn,

but if I had to choose characters based on compassion, I would have to say

4). Namo (who would want his job?) and

5). Maglor (who seems to keep wanting to do the right thing, then gets suckered into the wrong thing because of pressure from his dysfunctional family -- a thing with which I can STRONGLY identify ).
Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #33
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Off the top of my head and without any specific order.

Andróg.
He's awesome, isn't he? A bitter and hard man who initially wants to kill Beleg but ends up saving his life.

Sador.
What a humble and wise man he is: "A man who flies from his fear might find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it."

Maedros
A great guy bound by a terrible oath. Just imagine what would have happened if Fingon never saved him. The remaining brothers would've gone on a rampage.

Feanor
But you gotta love the passion of his father too.

Boromir
Perhaps the only LotR character I can relate to.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #34
Olórin the White
Newly Deceased

Olórin the White has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I loved the 'Famous Five' series growing up!!! My mother gathered (and still has) an extensive collection of Enid Blyton books that I read and re-read as a child. Most people I talk to have never heard of them though...

as for my five...I don't know that I could really say

Galadriel has always been fascinating to me...somewhat of a mystery in a way, and I like how she is described as having been the only woman standing tall amongst the Noldorian princes that fateful day in Valinor.
I must admit that I do love Faramir.
Gandalf is also wonderful
Beren (for obvious reasons)

....and I can't choose a fifth. there are just too many...

Last edited by Olórin the White; 06-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Olórin the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #35
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
I am obliged to have to change some of my order. The list could change at any time! Boromir is always first, of course.

1. Boromir
2. Pippin
3. Faramir
4. Theoden
5. Merry, or Beregond, or Imrahil... this fifth spot is up for grabs
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #36
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Spare the rod...

My favorite characters in ME? Hmm... what a dilemma...

But here goes:

1. Old Tom Bombadil of the sexy yellow boots
2. Evil Bio-Engineer Morgoth
3. His apprentice Sauron
4. Ol' Witchking of Angmar
5. Galadriel

So you'd see the attraction of villians...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The nominees for my 5 favorite characters in Middle-earth - ever! - are as follows:

Faramir
Denethor
Theoden
Boromir
Mouth of Sauron
Bilbo
Saruman
Isildur
Hama

Drumroll please....

The 4th runner-up is...Hama! Hama is not your automatron "As you wish master" doorwarden you would expect a doorwarden to be. No. Hama has a brain and he likes using it. It is Hama's trust in Gandalf and company that arguable starts the wheels a turning for Theoden's healing. It is also because Hama uses his brain which makes him the most inept, bumbling, screws up any order ever given to him guard ever. This guy botches even the simplest of orders. Hama honestly reminds me of the guards in Monty Python's Holy Grail - "So we are to not let him leave until you are anyone else comes in to get him." Oh bless Hama's heart, the guy's got spirit.

3rd runner-up goes to the other Rohirrim nominee up there with true spirit...Theoden. Here is a guy who has his mind poisoned by a wizard and corrupt counselor, his wife is dead, his only son and heir dies, his kingdom is on the verge of annhilation and he rises (due to trust in Gandalf) above and conquers. That's not even the end of it, I've only just begun. After defeating his enemy, thus saving his people, does he decide where he's going to place the next hot tub and ease into a relaxing retirment? Of course not. Gandalfs pops up again, "Well...umm I know you just kind of got done fighting a war and many of your men died, but I'm going to need you to ride out to another war, where I am 98% certain all of you will die." Does Theoden whine about how unfair life is? Does he raise one grumble, complaint, or out right refuse? Of course not, he's like "Did you say something about death? Yeaahh baby, bring it on Mordor."

(Oh and in my opinion he has one of the best lines in the story: "But I will not end here, taken like an old badger in a trap." oh the beauty).

3rd place goes to the most petrifying and scariest villain I have ever come across in literature...The Mouth of Sauron. Here is a guy that gets one paragraph description and a couple pages of lines, but he is the most terrifying guy ever. The Ringwraiths are scary enough, but to imagine that a living man can actually appear as scary as them is even more frightening. Not only that but the fact that a man also can be more cruel than any orc (who tortured and killed for their own pleasure)...uhh the shivers. And the horse, what about that horse he rides! The just scares the bajeebers out of me!
Quote:
...mounted upon a black horse, if horse it was; for it was huge and hideous, and its face was a frightful mask, more like a skull than a living head, and in the sockets of its eyes and in its nostrils there burned a flame.
If the scariest villain I have ever read took third, than runner-up most go to the most fascinating and deceitful villain ever...Saruman. Ok, this guy was able to fool his allies (Men, Elves, Istari...etc) for over 160 years as well as play Sauron for a good amount of time. He wove a masterful web of lies that was only undone because Gandalf escaped Orthanc, thus Saruman got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Imagine how long Saruman could have kept up his charade had Gandalf not tattled on him? But the true mastery of Saruman is even after everyone knows he's a traitor. After Gandalf rats on Saruman, and everyone knows he's full of crap, he's still able to trick and deceive them! Theoden just got done telling Saruman to hang from a gibbet, and Saruman was able to weave a seed of doubt making Theoden think Gandalf was a traitor! The guys skills are so good, in August when he runs into Galadriel, Gandalf, and everyone in the woods he hides his intentions with the Shire, only to take control of the Shire a month later. Is this guy good or what?

And the moment you've all be waiting for (well probably not). Will it be one of the young sons of Gondor? The dead King? The crazy Steward? Or maybe it's the little hobbit Bilbo, said to be the dark horse pick.

Oh, you all know who it is and can tell by my many posts on him, and my many more posts gushing about my Sean Bean fanboyishness. I was just trying to add some Peter Jackson type "tenshun."

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-17-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #38
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I can change my opinion, right?

1:Pippin
2: Sam
3:Merry
4:Faramir
5: Gimli

I could name a lot more... But I can only name five...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #39
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

5? 5?!?!?!?! This is harder than a diamond in an ice-storm (hooray for mixed metaphors).

OK. 5.

Éowyn - Faramir is quite possibly the luckiest guy in all of Middle Earth. I find her fascinating on so many levels that listing them all here will probably mean that I'll get myself fired for neglecting my work (or else die of hunger).

Lúthien - I consider her the bravest character. And her story is - *cue undignified tears of awe*

Samwise Gamgee - Right now, I'm writing an essay entitled "How Samwise Gamgee Saved My Life." No, no, don't laugh, it's very poetic. Sam pretty much "owns" the narrative (and pwns Sauron, har har). His is the great reward.

Frodo Baggins - Frodo lives! And he does. When you look at Middle Earth after Aragorn ascends to the throne, Frodo's sacrifice is etched onto everything. It's more than just him being suspended in time in Lothlórien.

Tom Bombadil - "He is."

I have to stop now? But Aragorn "rock your face/soul off" II... And Haleth... And... Alright. 5 it is.