The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye Best Scene

In your opinion, what was your favorite scene in The Lord of the Rings? I thought a couple of the coolest scenes were when the elves stride into Helm's Deep, because the horn and the background music gives me the chills. Another was the Witch King riding his Fell Beast perched upon Minas Morgul, with the host pouring out of the gates.
But I think one of the most intimidating and awesome scenes was with the orcs of Mordor marching out of the Black Gate in ROTK. The eye of Barad Dur, shining in all of its amazing fire, overlooking the innumerable orcs, all ready for war. That scene was just great, with the eye of Sauron in the sky high above Mordor in the background, with its light illuminating the whole sky. Imagine how scared you would be if you were a soldier of Gondor, observing that show of might. *shudders* Amazing!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...

Last edited by ninja91; 06-05-2006 at 02:48 PM.
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Wow, many scenes come to mind when I think of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but I'll break it down by movie.

My favorite scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring would have to be the scenes with the Last Alliance, all the scenes that involved the Shire and Bree, and the battle squence at the end.

My favorite scenes from The Two Towers would have to be when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli enter Fangorn Forest, when Merry and Pippin meet Treebeard, I also enjoyed all of Treebeard's scenes when he was carrying Merry and Pippin through Fangorn, I loved the scene with Pippin drinking the ent draught. I also loved the scene when Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli ride to Edoras and then free Theoden. I love the entire Helm's Deep sequence, and the Isengard scenes.

My favorite scenes from the Return of the King would have to be the opening scenes at Isengard, and at Edoras. I enjoyed the Paths of the Dead very, very much, it was so cool! I loved the the Siege of Gondor scenes, and the Pelennor fields scenes, as well as the Black Gate scenes. I also loved enjoyed the scene where Eowyn and Merry defeat the Witch-King. And everything that happens after Frodo destroys the Ring is great, I loved the coronation, but what I loved the most was watching the hobbits return to the Shire.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Hmmm...this is a hard one. I have many favorite scenes that I'd have to go through the movies and right down each scene... I think I'll get back to you on this one...
Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I like the TT ee scene where Boromir and Faramir celebrate a victory in Osgiliath and they discuss going to Imladris. I know it isn't portraying the characters fairly, but there's something very sympathic in it...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #5
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

I also love the scene with Frodo and the fellowship during their first night in Lothlorien. The music that goes with that scene, and the sights inside the forest, are just so cool. They really gave me a sense of something mysterious and rich in legend.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Texadan
Animated Skeleton

Texadan has just left Hobbiton.
Believe it or not but I think my favorite scene, or at least my favorite view, was seeing the Argonath. That was just awesome.
Texadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #7
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

I agree. Seeing the Argonath was an awesome view. It was very, whats the word, majestic. The scene in Moria when Gandalf says "i think we could risk a bit more light" and the halls of Moria come into view, I think that that is also a spectacular scene.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Bandobras Took
Pile O'Bones

Bandobras Took has just left Hobbiton.
Fellowship: The fight in Moria. I am not sure why. Some times I'll sit down with the movie and just watch that part.

Two Towers: When the riders show up to save the day at helms deep, and they just come and ride down everyhing (even though not physically possible for all the horses to do without tripping, and then all of them rolling to the bottom) is extremely cool.

Return of the King EE: When Sam and Frodo are in the orc camp and the orc captain or sargent or whatever spots them and come after them. That part was really great.
Bandobras Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1. When that laser thingummy comes shooting out of the top of Minas Morgul and the sound on the film goes out for a second. It makes me feel really scared!

2. The lighting of the beacons across the mountains, which is awesome in a David Attenborough nature programme kind of way.

3. The Ride of the Rohirrim from Theoden's stirring speech to the eventual clash, but not including anything where it looks like horses are being hurt.

4. When Gandalf rides into Hobbiton and lets off his fireworks and the curmudgeonly old Hobbit, possibly Odo Proudfoot (?), gives his little chuckle. I like that because he's a bit like my dad.

5. The dragon firework. Because Dragons are officially The Coolest Thing Ever.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Aragorn tackling the Nazgul at Weathertop - that was the point where the film really came alive. It remains the clearest single image I have.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The three hunters (except for the stupid Gimli huffing and puffing bits)

The flag of Rohan fluttering to the feet of Aragorn and Eowyn looking at him, and it.

But above all, the sound of the horn and the Rohirrim appearing over the horizon which is one of my favourite movie moments ever.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quite a lot from me, I fear.

FOTR: The Gil-Galad shot. The added Gladden Fields sequence. The Elves passing through the Shire added scene. The arrival of Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. The Fellowship setting out South. The dash across the Bridge after Gandalf's fall. The added Gift-giving scene. Boromir and Aragorn killing things.

TTT: The Three Hunters. (The moment in the films which best evoked my feelings in the Books-"Aragorn sped up the hill.") Eomer. All the stuff Lalaith mentioned. Especially Eowyn in front of the hall and the banner being blown away. Gimli's line about finding more cheer in a graveyard, for some reason. Grima's human creepiness. The "closing walls of your bower" scene. Theodred's funeral. The Hornburg (even sort of accepted the silly Elves). Eomer mark 2.

ROTK: Started so well. Minas Tirith. Inaccurate beacons. Faramir/Pippin scenes. "Oaths ye have taken", Ride of the Rohirrim, Eowyn killing Wiki (despite dumbed down line), Corsairs, Shelob's Lair, Sammath Naur, Faramir/Eowyn snippet.

Some important omissions there though. Paths of Dead trivialised. Pelennor by and large a disaster, and Black Gate little better. Frodo and Sam mucked quite a bit up pre-Shelob. Post Ring lots of awful feelgood. Grey Havens no good.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #13
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Oh yeah! The Ride of the Rohirrim is about the most captivating scene, and also the part where Sam carries Frodo up Orodruin. Beatiful.