The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Valian Year 1497

Under Grey Annals year 1497, in the section Of The Coming Of The Noldor:

Quote:
'In this same year of the Valar (but some seven years after in the later reckoning of time) Feanor came over Sea in the white ships of the Teleri, and landed in the Firth of Drengist, and there burned the ships at Losgar.'
I might be wrong, but do folks disagree (or agree) that this means seven years into 'year' 1497 (using 1 Valian Year = 9.582 Sun Years here, not 144). According to these annals, in this year Morgoth first assaulted Beleriand, and the battles with the Orcs (death of Denethor of the Green Elves) take place. The Noldorin arrival is new tidings, as noted in the published Silmarillion (and Grey Annals), suggesting Feanor was not around until after these things occured in Beleriand.

If so, regarding the events as noted in Annals of Aman for the same year: there 'all' that seems to take place is the Noldor arrive at last into the far north of Arda (knowing that they were drawing nigh to the Helcaraxe) -- they halt and debate, but 'soon' began to suffer anguish from the cold and the clinging mists -- Feanor takes counsel with his sons, and they sieze the ships, sail -- and burn the ships at Losgar.

That doesn't seem like all that much, but again, do people agree that we have seven years from the beginning of the events noted in both Annals (Aman and Grey) under 1497 -- until Feanor lands in Middle-earth?

Or if not, what might be another interpretation of this passage?
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I might be wrong, but do folks disagree (or agree) that this means seven years into 'year' 1497 (using 1 Valian Year = 9.582 Sun Years here, not 144).
That's how I interpret it. Well, to be completely precise, not necessarily seven (shorter) years into Valian year 1497, but seven years after Morgoth's first assault. We don't know exactly when that assault occurred - if, for instance, it happened 1 year into Valian year 1497, then that would place Feanor's arrival 8 years in.

On the face of it, this appears to me to agree perfectly well with the Annals of Aman entry. Note that the AAm entry gives no indication of when, within 1497, the events it relates occurred. It could have been late in 1497 (already close to seven years after Morgoth's first assault) that "The Noldor came at last far into the North of Arda, and they saw the first teeth of the ice that floated in the sea, and knew that they were drawing nigh to the Helkaraxë".
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah that's true. I don't need to assume the first event (or description) in GA began right away within this 'year', so it could be a bit longer (having 9.582 to work with), which could work with AAm as you say.

Thanks!
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote