The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2001, 05:27 AM   #1
Manwe
Haunting Spirit

Manwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Mishaped squid?

As you might have geussed I'm talking about the guardian of the gate (probably not proper translation), the many-armed creatur outside Moria. Does anyone knows what it is?
Old 12-07-2001, 10:48 AM   #2
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello Manwe,
The Watcher in the water is what is generally referred to as a kraken, a giant aquatious creature. Mostly they are found in sea´s and oceans. However this one is in the artificial lake before the Westgate. How did it get there? If I remember rightly Gandalf mentioned to Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli in Fangorn something about nameless things gnawing the earth under the deepest Deeps of the dwarves, when telling them about his fight with the Balrog. Also it is said that they plunged into water at the bottom of the abyss. That would be favourable for the kraken-hypothesis. The damming of the Gate-stream caused the lake to form and probably made it possible for the creature to leave its underground environment.
Who dammed the river? I do not know, but one might speculate the Balrog who knew the ancient underways (Too well he knew them -Gandalf) may also have known about the existence of other creatures under Moria. Maybe he made the orcs/trolls make the lake so as to provide a guardian on the west-border of his realm. Of course this is pure speculation....

Greetings, gildor
Old 12-08-2001, 12:47 AM   #3
Aldaron
Haunting Spirit

Aldaron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If not a kraken or a giant squid, then certainly some fresh-water equivalent. I seem to remember the suggestion of tentacles reaching. And I agree that it was likely placed there to guard the gates of Moria. With evil intent,you may be sure.
Aldaron is offline   Reply With Quote