The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2001, 07:15 PM   #1
thaurarda

Sting Imaginary Characters

Ever think of creating your own character set out in the world of Tolkien having his own background, lineage, and personality? I did [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] heres what i made up... [sorry for the length] I know most of it doesnt even sound possible, but hey, its imaginary!

--Found within the scripts of the forgotten Red book-by Thaurarda Lore master

Character name: Förnor
“Spirit of the North”

Son of Finwë and Míriel. Younger brother of Feanor and Fingolfin. Third Prince of Eldamar. First named Amonfin by his mother. After seeing the beauty of the elven-gems his brother Feanor first created, he asked as a gift that his brother would teach him how to create such a thing. Although Amonfin was not as skilled as his older brother, he managed to forge the Wilikalis: A gem filled with the living light of a single tree he found as he journeyed deep into the cold Northlands of middle-earth. The tree itself seemed aged and beaten, but comfortable and still strong within its burning roots of survival. Amonfin named the tree Isatuloth “Burning ice”. The Wilikalis was second only to the Silmarils, but this was simply because there were more of them. Feanor was completely astonished by his younger brothers craftmanship. His creation was stronger than a Simaril gem unless united with its other pieces. Later Amonfin was named Förnor “Spirit of the North”. Förnor then decided to travel North to where he would dwell. The rest of Fornor’s history is unknown for he vanished after the Silmarils were stolen by Morgoth. Some say he created a kingdom so far up North that no mortal could travel there so no message of him or from him could be obtained. Others claim that he went North to clear out the evil within it. His life is full of myths of heroic deeds and sacrifices, but no one truly knows his story. After he left his family he was forgotten by everyone accept his brothers and mother, this would explain why he was left out of most House trees of Funwe. The original copy included his name, but with many question marks surrounding it…

thanx for reading! If you think that i should change anything tell me, im not precise with all of Fornor's origin and things, and i know that some of the elven words are not even close to what they should be. If you think you can make up a better character, go for it!
Old 12-12-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought that was very good, only thing is Feanor had 2 brothers, the other is Finarfin who became High King of the Nolder after the murder of Finwe and the flight of the Nolder.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:35 PM   #3
Zimraphel

Sting

Well, Fornor could not very well have been Feanor's younger brother because Tolkien states very explicitly that Miriel Serinde died (or as close to death as the Noldor could come in Valinor) after Feanor's birth.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:43 PM   #4
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

That is almost true Zimraphel, but he could be his half brother which Fingolfin and Finarfin are as Elrian pointed out.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:50 PM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

He wouldn't neccesarily have to be a son of Finwe to make the story work. He could easily be the son of any number of unnamed elf lords and craftsmen that lived in Aman. Perhaps you could invent his lineage rather than try to attach him to an existing one.

I would like to know more of the tree he found in the North.

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 12-13-2001, 08:04 PM   #6
Thaurarda

Sting

I would have created a different birth-mother for Fornor, but i wanted to stick with something that kinda made sense, and not end up creating a whole series of unknown elves. Ill get to work on the rest of Fornor's story as soon as I can. Thanx for your posts guyz.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:08 PM   #7
Zimraphel

Sting

Look, to be honest, Fornor sounds too much like Feanor to be a truly original character. I mean, Feanor is really a one-of-a-kind Elven smith; he's a prodigy you don't see that often. If you're going to have Fornor do something, why not have him interested in something other than smithing? Why not make him a superior woodcarver or builder of ships? How about a great Elven architect?