The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2001, 04:04 AM   #1
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting More Questions

I am wondering why, If Sauron knew how to make rings of power, he did not make more of them and have something like 30 Ringwraiths? He could obviously make the lesser rings necessary to do it if he had created The One Ring. I dont know if him putting part of his own power into the Ring has anything to do with it, but I dont see why it would be a problem if he was in such close connection with the elven ring makers and knew what they were doing.

And also, couldn't the three rings he had gotten back from the dwarves have been used for such a purpose also? I dont see how they would benefit Sauron, but I dont know.

I also have some pronounciation questions.

Aulë = Owl, Owl-uh, Owl-ay, Ow-ooluh, Ow-oolay?
Are C's always prounounced as K's? So that it would be Cirion = Keer-E-On.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:20 AM   #2
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron could have made more rings but he would risk losing much of his power. Assuming that these rings were made to be like the dwarven or mortal rings then they could be destroyed more easily than the one ring, only three of the seven rings are left.
As to the remaining three it's possible that since they had been possessed by dwarves so long they could only be used by dwarves. Maybe Sauron did use dwarven rings, giving them to faithful followers. However, we don't know what effect these rings would
have on mortal men who used them.
Check in the back of the Silmarillion for a full guide to pronunciation.
Aule=Owl
C=K
Old 12-19-2001, 10:00 PM   #3
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Originally, I think, the rings were made for elves alone, not given freely. And when they perceived Sauron's intent they destroyed most of them, but Sauron was able to retrieve 15, the 7 and the 9, the three were never in his grasp. However, when the dwarven rings should have been able to be given to men, and maybe they were, what about the Mouth of Sauron? or The Captain of Minas Morgul? Perhaps they were given two of these. After all, one elven ring was given to Gandalf in a very flesh and blood form. Also Sauron's ring was kept by Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo. Now the Maiar/elven ring and hobbit/one ring combination may have a slightly different affect than a man/dwarf ring combination, but Sauron probably would have tried no matter what.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:37 AM   #4
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think the rings different in what they were capable of - the three were for preserving, healing, etc., the dwarven rings for great wealth, and the nine for glory and kingly power. The One: dominion. Any could use them, but the rings designed to produce great wealth would especially appeal to dwarves. As for why he didn't make more, good question. He had lost a lot of his power when his lost the One. Perhaps once he recovered it he could have made more.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:57 AM   #5
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Or perhaps holding "dominion" over the other Rings was such a taxing exertion of his will that to have made more would have maxed him out.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:04 AM   #6
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I first read this question, I immediately thought of Feanor. Being sequestered here in Michigan without my books, I cannot even tell you WHICH book it is in - the Silmarillion probably. But Feanor said something to the effect that even if he wanted to and the light of the two trees were still available, he could not make the Silmarils again. It was a one time thing - a unique moment of inspiration that will not come again. Perhaps with Sauron it was similar?

-red
Old 12-20-2001, 09:16 AM   #7
Jellinek
Pile O'Bones

Jellinek has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds quite logical to me. I don't think there is a proper explanation for this, bacause if someone can do something once, wwhy not more times. But we need some 'reason', otherwise Middle Earth would probably use Rings of Power as commodity...

Perhaps (feeble attempt).... Although Sauron forged the One alone, he was in the presence of many great Elven Smiths. Maybe he was partly inspired by their work and perhaps new ideas these Elves had about forging Rings?

Jellinek
Jellinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:19 AM   #8
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe he just didn't have enough innate power left to put into more rings while maintaining his own existence.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #9
Jellinek
Pile O'Bones

Jellinek has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm.. even without the One he was a formidably powerful character. As posted somewhere else, he would be able to crush Frodo and he was able to command/empower the great army lying before Gondor.

But, then again, the One was made to rule all other rings, so in order to make another Ruling Ring, it would have to be more powerful then the one already made. That could be too much for Sauron in this age. [edit]Or in any age for that matter.[/edit]

Jellinek

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Jellinek ]
Jellinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 02:46 PM   #10
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

The accents above the last letter of many of Tolkien's names indicates that the letter is to be pronounced as its own syllable. Such as in Aulë, which is "OWL-eh". Short E sound as in "effort". In names like Fëanor the accents represent much the same thing; the ëa combination is not diphthongal, as in "eat", but rather two distinct vowel syllables, "FEH-ah-nor".
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 02:02 PM   #11
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

The line you are referring to is in Silm., red, it says
Quote:
But Fëanor spoke then, and cried bitterly: 'For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest.'
There is more to the quote but I think this part fits perfectly into thtis discussion.

And I am going to have to disagree with you on this one Maril. I think the rings were all about the same, except for the one ring, and the amount of power each ring had, but other than that, suppose each ring was affected by its wielder. Or the race of the wielder to be more exact. Each race had its inherent traits and that is way Elves preserved, Men dominated, and Dwarves gained riches.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 01:04 AM   #12
Elendur
Wight

Sting

I realize now, after thinking about it, Sauron was using all of his power to get the One Ring back. He would not have the focus of power needed to forge more rings.. even if they were lesser rings like the ones he gave to Men. And, to see it from his point of view, regaining the One Ring was an inevitable thing. So there really was no need to make more.

But still.. I wonder why it never talks about the 3 gathered dwarven Rings more. I would have thought that Sauron would give them to people to serve him as the Ringwraiths did. Then again, maybe he wore them himself to give him more power.

These are the times you wish you were alive when Tolkien was so you could write him a letter. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2001, 01:23 AM   #13
Elendur
Wight

Sting

Is there a book that talks about Dagor Dagorath (the last battle). I could have swore I read somewhere that in the battle, Morgoth is killed by Turin! I dont know where I got it from, but I remember it so well it cant be just my mind wandering. Please help.. my brain hurts. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2001, 01:32 AM   #14
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ah! But the dwarven rings were mentioned, at the council of Rivendell. Sauron's emmissaries to Dain offered him one of the dwarven rings in exchange for fealty and news of this "this smallest of rings, a trifle he fancies." He had them.

Derelan, I will dig for it, but I belive Gandalf was asked why the three couldn't be used in battle. His answer was that they were for healing, preserving, etc, not war. That would indicate that the nineteen rings were more specific in their use.

(Sorry about that Elendur, I wasn't ignoring you, I guess I was typing while you posted.)

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]