The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye Ai!-Elves & Balrogs

Upon reading the Chapter titled "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" I grew very curious about the history of Balrogs in relation to the Elves. Please accept my apologies if this is stale subject-matter, I would satisfy my curiosity on my own, but there are no other resources on Tolkien available to me as of right now, and you fine people seem very learned in the subject of both Balrogs and Elves.
Legolas' mortal terror upon seeing the Balrog ("Ai! Ai!"), struck a note with me. Are there specific incidents of harm done to the Elves by the Balrogs? I understand that Balrogs are not the nicest of creatures in general, but I would be interested to find out if they specifically targeted the Elves.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:33 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

I don't believe balrogs had any special hate for elves, though the elves had the most experience dealing with them. The fact that Legolas was the first to express terror at the balrog's appearance was probably due to his being the first to understand what it was. Of the others, only Gandalf would likely have known it was a balrog, or even what a balrog was. The First Age was a lot further removed for the mortal races than for elves.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually Barlogs and elves have a rather long history. During the first age Barlogs killed Feanor, (The most skilled of all the Noldor) Fingon, (High King of the Noldor) Ecthillion, (Protector of Gondor) Glorfindel (1st Age incarnation, personally I believe he was sent back during the 2nd age), and many other "Lesser" Elves. Legolas says in regard to the Barlog "Of all elf-banes the most deadly, save the one who sits in the Dark Tower." Suffice it to say Legolas and all elves had good reason to be afraid of Barlogs.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Luineglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Balrogs had not been seen in ME in almost a whole age so many of the races except the elves and the dwarves (though they new not that it was a balrog) had forgotton the balrogs.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Luineglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:40 AM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That's because they were destroyed in the battle that ended the First Age, the Moria Balrog hid, and they couldn't find it. he was the only one left.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:19 PM   #6
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

could there not have been others that hid in the deep places of the earth.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Old 01-06-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is defiantly a possibility that there are more hiding in the deep places. Silm says that several escaped the last battle and hid. There is a truely fascinating thread in the knew Silm project about the number of Barlogs before the War of Wrath, you should definatly take a look.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:32 PM   #8
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thanks i sure will
Old 01-07-2002, 01:53 AM   #9
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

I checked the Silmarillion, and there were a few, I can't remember where I seen that there was only one, maybe that was in reference to something to do with the Third Age, but in the Sil it say " The Balrogs were destroyed, save some few that fled and hid themselves in caverns inaccessable at the roots of the earth.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #10
Ereinion
Animated Skeleton

Ereinion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ereinion
Sting

I think it's possible that there still could have been possible that there were more Balrogs during the Third Age, considering that the vast majority of Middle-Earth is not known. I especially think it possible that they coul have lived in the Withered Heath, north of the Ered Mithrim. It's stated that dragons live there still, I believe.
Ereinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

If there were any that remained they were still buried deep and undisturbed, like the Moria Balrog had until he was disturbed in TA 1980. There may have been other Dragons too, if there were they kept a low profile as well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 11:16 PM   #12
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Elrian:
<STRONG>If there were any that remained they were still buried deep and undisturbed, like the Moria Balrog had until he was disturbed in TA 1980. There may have been other Dragons too, if there were they kept a low profile as well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>

According to JRRT in Letter 145: "[The Balrogs] were supposed to have been all destroyed in the overthrow of Thangorodrim... But it is here found (...)that one had escaped and taken refuge under the mountains of Hithaeglin...". Only _one_ Balrog escaped from the War of Wrath.