The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye PHANTASY FOOTBALL: Arda Cup 2011

Welcome to the Phantasy Team Competition!

Before I list the rules for this year's competition, we need to take care of one team's roster. That team?

Tol In Gaurhoth!!

For their previous years of hard work in putting on the tournament, Nog, Skip, and I are on the team. Boro would be on the team, but he is Arda Cup President and Head-Ref, and thus it would be quite unfair for him to play for a team.

So, there are EIGHT open slots on the team. I am reserving THREE of those spots for the first three Downers that announce their participation in the Phantasy Competition if this year is their first time playing.

That means there are currently FIVE slots open to election.

As of now everyone is allowed five total votes for either nominating or seconding. Anyone that receives four votes is in immediately, and if not enough Downers have received the necessary number of votes by the end of next week I will simply take whoever received the most votes.

The team currently stands-

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK-
DF-
DF-
DF- SkipWolf
MF-
MF-
MF-
MF- PhantomWolf
FW-
FW-
FW- NogWolf

Start voting people!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I am in.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm in, of course, and ready to defend me title mwahaha.

As for votes my votes, I think some familiar faces are in order...

++Nerwolf
++Eomerwarg
++mormwolf
++Gwathwolf
++sallywolf
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
So, there are EIGHT open slots on the team. I am reserving THREE of those spots for the first three Downers that announce their participation in the Phantasy Competition if this year is their first time playing.
All right, I'm in! But there's no reason to put me on the team. Firstly, I do not really get football/soccer - and I definitely don't play it, and secondly I did not as yet play Werewolf.

So do we just vote random people in now?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So do we just vote random people in now?
That's the plan.

And it doesn't matter whether you've played WW game or not, this is completely separate. Perhaps Galwolf or Galadwolf? I don't have any idea what it takes to run or ref a football league, yet each year I'm brought back (makes for fun stories). You should join the T-I-G team, but of course that is all up to you.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
And it doesn't matter whether you've played WW game or not, this is completely separate. Perhaps Galwolf or Galadwolf?
Either one, then. Or W55 for short.

Quote:
You should join the T-I-G team, but of course that is all up to you.
Well... if you say so.

I second Nerwolf and Sallywolf.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK-
DF-
DF-
DF- SkipWolf
MF- GaladWolf
MF-
MF-
MF- PhantomWolf
FW-
FW-
FW- NogWolf

NerWolf (2)
SallyWolf (2)
EomerWarg
MormWolf
GwathWolf
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I nominate Fea and Vanilwa.

I would also like to petition the Arda Cup officials to have Phantom's name officially changed to Phabbler.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
What does that...what...huh?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Welcome to the team Galadwolf!

++ Gwathwolf
++ Sallywolf

I will be more than happy to vote for the other old foxes, when they appear and come on board. Or if phantom's first-timer allowance of three gets beaten, then of course for the first-timers.

Arda Kicker Magazine (AKM) will be following the Arda Cup closely as previous years. But as the editor of the magazine I warmly welcome any new publications to make their own reviews of the games or the celebrity-stuff around the tournament - or whatever anyone of you comes up with.

The more people are involved in other ways than just putting in a team the better!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Ouch. The interview with Boro that just got posted was harsh! Gwath, Nog, Nerwen, Skip, Sally, Wilwa... you now know what Boro really thinks about the level of competition you bring.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Heh, I thought he was being nice there... he has been marvellous in his predictions and fex. I seem to always fail in the end even if I tend to start strong.

Well at least I thought it was a fun post.

Let's hope Boro finds AKM's press release fun as well...
Old 06-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Not relevant in years?! And by years we mean...what? Since the last Arda Cup?!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Let's hope Boro finds AKM's press release fun as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Not relevant in years?! And by years we mean...what? Since the last Arda Cup?!
Haha, yes that was the intent. Nothing like some nice trash talk and bravado to get things rolling.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Despite knowing relatively little about "futbol", and having only a rudimentary grasp of how this works, I'd like to give it a go.

++Nerwolf

++Sallywolf

++Gwathwolf

++Feawolf

++Eomerwarg
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
We'll just have to prove you wrong, Boro.

Count me in, of course.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Despite knowing relatively little about "futbol", and having only a rudimentary grasp of how this works, I'd like to give it a go.
Thank god I'm not the only one here!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

There is still ONE newcomer slot available, and FOUR election slots up for grabs.

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK-
DF-
DF-
DF- SkipWolf
MF- GaladWolf
MF- SallyWolf
MF- InzilWolf
MF- PhantomWolf
FW-
FW-
FW- NogWolf

NerWolf (3)
GwathWolf (3)
FeaWolf (3)
EomerWarg (2)
Wilwolf (2)
MormWolf

Last edited by the phantom; 06-11-2011 at 11:06 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

++FeaWolf
++Wilwolf

Will Sauron go for Captain?

Edit: I'm a bit confused about the roster. Nerwen has the number of votes including the first one in brackets, but Wilwa, Morm, and I think Fea only have the secondings...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-11-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Galadriel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Ah, yes. *edits* There. Fixed it. And here it is again.

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK-
DF-
DF-
DF- SkipWolf
MF- GaladWolf
MF- SallyWolf
MF- InzilWolf
MF- PhantomWolf
FW-
FW-
FW- NogWolf

NerWolf (3)
GwathWolf (3)
FeaWolf (3)
EomerWarg (2)
Wilwolf (2)
MormWolf
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Stay tuned for (most likely) tomorrow's report on the rumors involving the Lothlorien, Rivendell, Misty Mountains, and Anduin squads.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

++ Nerwolf

Let's beat Boro more than 2:1 this time just for the sake of it...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 AM   #23
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am not suicidal this time.

EDIT: Oh, and being the boffin 'in charge' of the spreadsheets the last time I participated, I shall volunteer said services again (under the 'ArdaCup.com Stats Report' tag.)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 06-12-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: see above
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #24
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I will play, though my time may be somewhat limited, I will do my best to keep me roster up to date.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Woo Nilp and Morm! Glad both of you could come back and join in.

Phantom, would it be possible if we don't hear from Eomer by the end of the week could my vote change to Nilp?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Seconding Boro!

++ Nilpwolw

++ Mormwolf

Btw. all of you new to the game, don't get scared by the different analysis on the teams beforehand in the "storyline-thread". It just feels like me and Boro are horses that have been left out to the grassland from the barn after a long winter for the first time...

We will be writing a lot of stuff during the tournament but we have no special knowledge pertaining to the actual game mechanics (otherwise we would not be able to compete in the phantasy-game). Later on, when the games start, tp will send us the results of "our games" (games we're going to report on) after we have done our own team-adjustments for the round in question.

Also, I'm calling for you all to come up with your own commentaries into the storyline-thread. Come up with a blog, a picture agency, a news network, a gossip-magazine, whatever you come up with. (look for the example of Nilp!). It is not that only certain people are allowed to take a bigger role in there. On the contrary. The more voices, the merrier games we'll have!

phantom will be releasing the final rosters (and hopefully the groups as well) pretty soon and then it should be easy for anyone to start speculating... And even before that, send your reporter to make the all inclusive interview of any star-player you wish!

And anyway, it is also perfectly legal (and what I think most people do) to just follow the official results and ignore all the speculative sports-commentary, and just update your phantasy team every once in a while...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++Nilp

Boro, you're in trouble, young man.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I wonder if news of this will leak into The Downer...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-12-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Galadriel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #29
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Aw, I was hoping to be on the team this year.

I'm playing, regardless.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #30
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

++Shastawolf

Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #31
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
++Nilpwolf
++Wolftanis Althreduin
++Gwathwolf
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #32
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I believe this is the updated tally-

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK
DF
DF GwathWolf
DF SkipWolf
MF GaladWolf
MF SallyWolf
MF InzilWolf
MF PhantomWolf
FW Nerwolf
FW
FW NogWolf

NilpWolf (3)
FeaWolf (3)
EomerWarg (2)
Wilwolf (2)
MormWolf (2)
ShastaWolf (2)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #33
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Playing or not it wouldn't feel the same without EomerWarg on the team.

++EomerWarg
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #34
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Playing or not it wouldn't feel the same without EomerWarg on the team.

++EomerWarg
Heh. I'm sure it felt weird the first time Wayne Gretsky didn't skate, Pele didn't kick, or Babe Ruth didn't bat... but those times come to everyone.

I vote (if I can)

++ Nilpaurion Wolfagund
++ Borowolf88

and would like to nominate

++ Urwen

P.S. I don't plan to field a fantasy team, since my summer involves an number of unpredictable factors, but I do plan to follow the threads, and even make snarky comments here and there.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #35
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right then- we're moving along nicely here. There are two new players that are likely to officially declare themselves at some point on the thread, and so as soon as one of them does we'll have our third new-player slot filled.

That means there's only ONE election spot left to fill. Since they have both announced that they are playing, I will vote for...
++Shasta
++Morm
...putting them both up to three votes.

Tol In Gaurhoth
GK
DF
DF NilpWolf
DF SkipWolf
MF GaladWolf
MF SallyWolf
MF InzilWolf
MF PhantomWolf
FW GwathWolf
FW NerWolf
FW NogWolf

MormWolf (3)
ShastaWolf (3)
EomerWarg (3)
FeaWolf (3)
Wilwolf (2)
Boro
Urwen
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #36
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Woo, exciting.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots How did I not notice this before..?

Oh well…nothing like an opportunity to display blind ignorance and idiocy, which is probably all my participation in this game will display.

On to the important stuff:

I am pleased to announce the establishment of The Underground, a news syndicate founded and run by Messrs. Kuruharan & Chrysophylax from their remote but luxurious hold of Narag-zigil in the lovely Ered Rhun overlooking Dorwinion and the tranquil Sea of Rhun. (If you’ve never heard of Narag-zigil then you aren’t playing the right Tolkien games.)

The Underground will report on the Arda Cup free from the biased reporting of the corporate mainstream news agencies and from...underground. I promise we will be your one stop shop for all the scandals, sob stories, crass and tacky spouses, inconvenient relatives, bribery (we take all forms of currency), embarrassing photos (whatever a “photo” is), indiscreet tweets (we even have our eyes on those naughty birds), drunken orgies, political hack jobs, wet work, felonies, high torts, misdemeanors and all the other politically incorrect shenanigans that make the Arda Cup what it is that the corporate media wants to pretend does not exist.

Get ready to experience the Arda Cup like you have never experienced it before!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Kuru! Nice to see you sign up and also writing The Underground. Bring on the scandals!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #39
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
How long is this going to take?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Great to have extra coverage on board, Kuru!

And as our third officially announced new player, you sir are granted a spot on the Tol In Gaurhoth squad!

Blind- the tournament will move at a speed that suits the participants and writers while trying to drag as little as possible. Basically, once the tournament officially starts we writers will move it along as quickly as we possibly can while giving everyone reasonable opportunity to make trades. If there is a time period where you are without internet, you can request another participant to make necessary trades for you (such as in the playoffs when you own players that are eliminated, someone will replace them for you).

(If you're simply wanting a rough idea, two years ago the first match of group play was posted 6/8 and the final was posted 7/11. Last year the first match was 4/12 and the final was 7/8. So, as you can see- very very different. We like to keep things moving, but we'll do what we have to do to make sure that everyone that wants to play is able to.)