The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #81
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Very strange goings on here. I hope nothing has happened to Paranoia. It's odd that there are so many loose ends left dangling like this, and no reaction from Paranoia about all the drama here on the Admin Thread.
It could just be that he's sulking/hiding because of the controversy - in fact, it seems most likely to me, especially since he already nearly left the 'downs in the last game. Not very responsible modding, but what can you say.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #82
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, at any rate, Nerwen, I think one crucial difference is that the tinkering you did in your game was out in the open for all players to see. What happened here was that I complained by PM to Paranoia about the way he did the narration, which I thought already broke a few unspoken "rules" of BD WW, and he responded with encouragement not to give up and the revelation of a certain gifted's role (\not even a confirmation of a guess I made or anything, but new information altogether). He also revealed that he had been planning to treat the cobbler role differently than expected without mentioning it - not cool in my book, since the village couldn't take this into consideration.

So clearly I couldn't keep playing with this additional unearned knowledge - any victory would be stripped of all honor. It's a shame, since I was quite enjoying this game and I hate to let my team down, but without a level playing field (or an uneven playing field everyone knows about) there can't be a real game.
Oh, I agree– you can't have the mod telling players each others' roles just on a whim like that. But all the same, it occurred to me that Para might have got the idea from the last game that it's how we do things here.

Quote:
Someone (who can step forward if/when they like) mentioned to me that we should have a minimum number of games a person must play before being allowed to be a mod, and I think this is an excellent idea.
Agreed; that could save us a lot of grief in future.

Quote:
It could just be that he's sulking/hiding because of the controversy - in fact, it seems most likely to me, especially since he already nearly left the 'downs in the last game. Not very responsible modding, but what can you say.
All right, but you're going to feel pretty bad if it turns out he was run over by a bus or something. I'm just saying...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #83
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This reminds me of all those Star magazines. sooo...now what? I feel kind of lucky I wasn't a gifted.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #84
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Oh, I agree– you can't have the mod telling players each others' roles just on a whim like that. But all the same, it occurred to me that Para might have got the idea from the last game that it's how we do things here.

Agreed; that could save us a lot of grief in future.

All right, but you're going to feel pretty bad if it turns out he was run over by a bus or something. I'm just saying...
+1 Thats a good idea.

My first grade teacher was hit by a bus. We had subs the whole year.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #85
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
BG, you're signed up to mod, right? How many game shave you played?

I think five or six would be a good minimum (maybe we should move this discussion to the general WW thread?)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #86
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
This reminds me of all those Star magazines. sooo...now what? I feel kind of lucky I wasn't a gifted.
Well with what's happened and a Mod lost in cyberspace, I can't see how the current game can pick up and continue. But that's for every individual to decide.

I would hate to see a new member's first modded game crash and burn in a fiery blaze, but take it as a learning experience. Modding and playing in other Mafia games does not mean you understand Barrow-downs werewolf. This game is allowed by the Admins of the forum because originally it was loosely based off Tolkien. This is after all a Tolkien forum, and the game has strayed far away from the original design. Too much more, and attempts to alter the way WW is played on this forum, you'll find many of us just deciding not to play anymore, the Admins will shut it down for good (as they should) and that is something none of us want to see happen. So, I'm glad Rikae's said something about the PM.

I would suggest for Para, to re-do signups and reassign roles if he wants his first BD-WW modship to go better. As far as this game as it is, like I said I'm out. I simply won't play in a game that's been unfairly treated by the mod or anyone. Also, no mod right now was a big factor. I remember when another member (who was actually a long time member) signed up to mod a game, began the thread, game was filled, then he disappeared for 2 weeks. I couldn't wait around, neither could some others so we had to drop out. If I'm told to "watch the thread like a hawk" I will, but you best be ready to keep the game rolling and not leave us waiting around. But like I said, everyone's going to have to decide if they wish to continue with this game or not.

There's a couple things about organization and how the last couple of these games have been going that I think we need to have a conversation about. But, I don't think this is the thread to do it in. This should be left open for the planning of Para's game, and whatever winds up happening with it. I'm going to the original thread to post my opinion on general Barrow-Downs WW stuff.

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-05-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #87
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I don't believe that I could, with a clear conscience, continue this game with what I feel to be unearned knowledge of a wolf's identity. If that helped in identifying the others it would feel rather cheap.

I wasn't doing particularly well in the game, I don't think, but I was having fun. Ah, well.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #88
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'm in agreement with Zil. I was having fun, but after all of this ruckus, I'm not sure I want to continue.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #89
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't believe that I could, with a clear conscience, continue this game with what I feel to be unearned knowledge of a wolf's identity. If that helped in identifying the others it would feel rather cheap.
Even though I dropped out, I don't think knowing the identity of a wolf should influence that decision. Wolves dropped out before, their role became known and the game continued. Not such a big deal.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #90
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Even though I dropped out, I don't think knowing the identity of a wolf should influence that decision. Wolves dropped out before, their role became known and the game continued. Not such a big deal.
If this was a "normal" modfire situation I might agree. This seems different, though.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #91
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
There's a couple things about organization and how the last couple of these games have been going that I think we need to have a conversation about. But, I don't think this is the thread to do it in. This should be left open for the planning of Para's game, and whatever winds up happening with it. I'm going to the original thread to post my opinion on general Barrow-Downs WW stuff.
Agreed, I don't see that there is much else to talk about specifically on this game. I think the discussion is going to continue on the main admin thread. Please direct all comments and suggestions there. For now however this thread will be closed so unless Paranoia sends me a PM and wants it reopened it will remain closed. Boromir suggested the chance to redo the game and that would be a situation where this thread would be reopened.
Closed Thread