The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
ManofDale
Pile O'Bones

ManofDale has just left Hobbiton.
What if? #2

Just to let you guys know my What if ? posts will be dealing with questions pertaining to Middle Earth that (hopefully) haven't been adressed before such as the usual ones (Are Orcs etc) I came onto this board because I had many questions like these which I thought were unique and many sites didn't provide answers but instead would like to get everyone's thoughts on them.

So would you venture into the deep cold dark waters where Smaug's rotten skeleton laid in his watery grave to attain some jewels? Although it is stated in the Hobbit that many people feared that place and would avoid it, would you have a curious Tookish bone inside of you to dive in and get some treasure?
ManofDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
I suppose I would... it is said it was not too deep, since they were seeing old bones when the water level was lower. And it was superstition Lakemen shared, probably, but some strangers from afar would not know the background story and why it was uncanny to dive there.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Um, sorry guys im slightly confused. That stuff about Smaug, was that just a metaphor for this thread? Or is it actually what you wanted us to talk about?
If the latter, than I suppose I might, if I was a good swimmer, what with the water and all, and also seeing as it is only the bones of Smaug, well, nothing to worry about.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
There is no need to be a good swimmer to be a diver - the better you drown, the sooner you reach the bottom

But seriously, I mean, there were diving costumes even in Middle ages (or so I seem to recall reading somewhere), they were made of copper and leather - copper diving bell for your head and some kind of leather hose to give you air. I mean dwarves of the mountain might have had the skill of doing such things. Only superstition kept all who would from diving there, but I think it would wear off over time - indeed, even with live dragon about, lakemen doubted his existence, so maybe, even if Tolkien haven't told us so, some generations after, lakemen started to dive for jewels after all.