The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
World Mythologies found in Tolkien

As many of us may or may not know Tolkien derived a lot of his basic ideas from different world mythologies, specifically the Norse and Celtic mythologies. But what about other world mythologies and religions? I am sure that we can find some examples of Tolkien in every area of the world. Just this summer while studying Japanes culture, I learned of an article of food known as kibidongo that had many of the same properties of lembas bread, you know, the ability to keep a person going even in dire circumstances.

I guess the reason I started this thread was to create a running conversation of all of the evidence of Tolkien that can be found in the multitude of mythologies of the world. Living in America, and with my school system having the classic idea of American superiority (I hate that btw), we really are not taught much about the culture and ideas of rest of the world unless we take a specific class on it. So, to use my local grammer, what do yous guys think?
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
Lhunithiliel

I think it is obvious that Tolkien's early writings - the BolT, were strongly influenced by the Greek Mythology as well - with all that pagan, multi-Gods structure, flat Arda etc.
Besides, according to Snorri (the "Eddas") Norse and Germanic Gods - the Aesir not only came from the South (in the Prologue to the "Prose Eddas" Snorri clearly speaks about them coming from the destroyed Troy, or at least from Asia Minor), but in fact the mythologies of most Western European peoples were strongly influenced by the Greek mythology, "fitted" of course into their own cultural environment.

However, it is just as well clear that a lot of the characters inhabiting the wolds of Tolkien had been inspired by those of the ancient tales and sagas of the North-Western Europe.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:39 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Just a quick reminder before this discussion continues.

The merits or otherwise of America's national outlook on the world is irrelevant to the subject at hand, so please steer clear of any further discussion on that issue. Iaurhirwen and turgon, you may wish to amend your posts to avoid the issue being taken any further.

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:19 AM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
And further to the Greek influence referenced above, there are clear parallels between Tolkien's Nśmenor, and the Atlantis legend; the latter was orginally referenced (or created) by Plato. However, in an addendum to this connection, it should be noted that I am not referring to the subsequent name for Nśmenor of Atalantė, the derivation of which JRRT described as merely serendipitous, being a play on the Quenya for 'fallen'.

This is a well-intentioned thread, but it is important not to seek influence where there is little. The list of genuinely powerful influences on Tolkien's sub-creation are for the most part Northern European.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Rimbaud (naturally) is correct; the northern influences are very strong.

Some name-dropping: Kalevala (Finnish I think?), Elder Edda and Younger Edda (Icelandic/norse), Beowulf and the other Anglo-Saxon works & remnants; The (welsh) Mabinogion (which I am familiar with only as much as it was used in the Chronicles of Prydain, though I have good intentions and keep promising myself a more scholastic version) and that rather elusive body of Irish folklore where the Tuatha de Danaan linger.

There's more, but that's a good start and some (fascinating ) reading. Oh, and don't forget the story of Sigurd and Fafnir as told by Andrew Lang in his Red Fairy Book-- that's how a very young Tolkien fell in love with dragons. Definitely worth the read.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

A friend of mine is taking a class in Russian history and she passed this bit of information along to me. I didn't take all she sent me so if this doesn't make sense I'm sorry. "The story goes: the leaders of Novgorod ruled their city well, sharing power among themselves and consulting the citizens on every decision. Then one day they began fight amongst themselves, killing each other in the streets. Rumors spread that the fighting had resulted from a pagan-god resurfacing and placing among the Novgorodians a 'stick of power'."
The stick of power is obviously the one ring. There's more stuff about how people kept losing the stick of power and it would sit for many years then someone elese would pick it up and something terrible would happen to their village or their families. Then it would be lost or cast away until someone else found it and thus the procress is repeated.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
The (welsh) Mabinogion (which I am familiar with only as much as it was used in the Chronicles of Prydain, though I have good intentions and keep promising myself a more scholastic version) and that rather elusive body of Irish folklore where the Tuatha de Danaan linger.
There's a beautiful edition of The Mabinogion out, with illustrations by Alan Lee, which give the whole thing a 'Tolkienish' feel for me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Also, as far as the Irish myths go, I'd go for Lady Gregory's translations, Gods & Fighting Men
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
& & Cuchulain of Muirthemne http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...844204-6901455
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've found, unfortunately, that some of these interesting books aren't always easy to find. Luckily, one day at work I was grumbling to my boss about how I couldn't get a copy of The Poetic Eddas in Waterstones (I say this like it is an everyday thing to talk about at work, but my boss is also a Tolkien fan and into esoteric literature) and he sent me this fantastic link
Sacred Texts

You will find just about anything you could want here. It's not got the tactile quality of a book, obviously, but is very good for emergencies, or for browsing to see what you might find interesting, downloading to a PDA, whatever you like.

I have to say though, Tolkien did not just make use of the written stories which are available, he clearly made use of folklore, as seen in the origins of Hobbits - they come from many sources, including Hobgoblins, Boggarts and Brownies, unwritten but very vivid stories of creatures you can find in many cultures. It's always worth listening to those old hokey tales that grandparents (and parents) tell around the fireplace on a winter's night.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

There is an interesting thread that deals with about anything you need to know about European Myths. Beowulf, Anglo-Saxon, Arthurian legends, Baltic myths...etc. (Oops I just realize Lalwende has already posted that, lol, good job, Lal, got to it before me ).

Anyway, what I wanted to focus on was a Baltic Legend, called, "Battle of the Wizards."
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/bw/bw05.htm

That is the link to view the story in whole.

Basically it deals with a "Great Wizard," and a "Wicked Wizard," who duke it out in a classic Wizard battle. The part I wanted to focus on was....

Quote:
Then the Wicked Schlipme stood up, and by his Black Art grew and grew, taller and taller, to great stature
Quote:
And he (The Great Wizard Nischergurgje) muttered a Spell, and he, too, grew and grew, taller and taller and yet taller
Quote:
Then they changed themselves into dreadful Storm Clouds. They rushed upon each other. They closed in fierce combat. A mighty roaring was heard. The sky was black.
These "spells" these two wizards cast are ones that Gandalf seems to use.

Quote:
Gandalf's eyes flashed. "It will be my turn to get angry soon," he said. "If you say that again, I shall. Then you will see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked." He took a step towards the hobbit, and he seemed to grow tall and menacing' his shadow filled the little room.
Quote:
He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote